Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

https://twitter.com/Toffile/status/1058911869090586625?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

Knife edge chops are the dumbest move in wrestling because they look like they don't hurt at all but they super loving hurt.

Knife edge chops are one of those things that always get over when done right because they are cool as hell.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

LividLiquid posted:

Knife edge chops are the dumbest move in wrestling because they look like they don't hurt at all but they super loving hurt.

What are you talking about

They don’t have to look like they hurt, they sound like they hurt, and everyone can empathize with the feeling.

Beef Jerky Robot fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 4, 2018

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

pff who the gently caress ever got over by chopping someone

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Alaois posted:

pff who the gently caress ever got over by chopping someone

(I know you meant Ric, I just wanted to post Kojima)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
speaking of chops...

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
a knife edge chop is different from a regular open palm, makes a big slap noise, everyone goes "WOO" chop right? like a knife edge chop is the side of your hand, and hardcore holly would do them in your throat if he thought you were disrespecting him.

like, yeah, i love a good chop in an echoey arena but thats not the same as a knife edge chop, that doesnt make the noise and probably hurts way worse.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

exploded mummy posted:

speaking of chops...

"he had killer house show matches" :yikes:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

MassRafTer posted:

Knife edge chops are one of those things that always get over when done right because they are cool as hell.

Joe vs Kobashi is a great example of this.

Some of the Benoit matches in WCW where he chops the gently caress out of guys look amazing as well; the David Flair match from the summer of '99 being an example of that.

Basically I think it comes down to if someone takes a bump for the Knife Edge Chop or just sells it like a regular 'slap' chop.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 4, 2018

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
One of my favorite chops to this day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuNjriGjBtA&t=4145s
1:09:06 in case it doesn't skip for ya.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
It's 2018 & we can confirm for sure that at this moment Bryan Alvarez is a better professional wrestler than Shawn Michaels. I don't like this timeline.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

this is a dumbass loving post lmao

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

PaybackJack posted:

Joe vs Kobashi is a great example of this.

Some of the Benoit matches in WCW where he chops the gently caress out of guys look amazing as well; the David Flair match from the summer of '99 being an example of that.

Basically I think it comes down to if someone takes a bump for the Knife Edge Chop or just sells it like a regular 'slap' chop.

I'm sad we never got Kobashi vs Joe II like we were supposed to.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

PaybackJack posted:

Zack Sabre Jr. taking huge bumps from Walter's chops was loving awesome

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If you want to see just how stupid a "knife edge chops are bad" take is, note that Bryan Alvarez refuses to do any spot he considers even remotely unsafe and yet here he is.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I didn't say they weren't safe. I just think they look dumb as gently caress. Turns out it's an incredibly unpopular opinion.

You ever see a movie you thought was trite dogshit but everybody sings its praises and you can't understand why, and clearly you're missing out on the enjoyment everybody else is getting? That's where I'm at with this.

And again, this is a personal thing, but it just doesn't look to me like they hurt at all even though I know they absolutely do.

I super can't understand why whipping your hand, back-handed, at an oppononent's chest is supposed to hurt more than getting punched in the loving face. You've got the guy trapped in a corner, and you're gonna' whip the back of your hand at him instead of rearranging his jaw?

It's sorta' the same problem I have with the WMD punch and the Brogue kick. If your finisher is that simple, why aren't you doing it every time you have the opportunity? Why, if you can take a guy out with one punch, are you not using that punch every time you punch them?

Wrestling is dumb and fake as poo poo, and we all accept said stupid all the time, but sometimes little things bug me.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

yeah its wrestling that's dumb, not you, never you

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Wrestling punches are terrible and hokey and don't look remotely cool, I'm baffled that anyone would prefer that over a good-sounding chop

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Closed fist punches aren't exactly legal in WWE, are they?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

wrestlers who have both bitchin' punches and chops are the best

what I'm trying to say is Tenryu is the best

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Chops look painful to me because i have access to the human anatomy and am an expert

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

One time I was watching wrestling and my 9 year old step-sister walked in and started watching and she asked me "why are they punching isn't this supposed to be wrestling"

Even to a 9 year old, punches in wrestling are dumb

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Incessant Excess posted:

closed fist was illegal in all of wrestling up until the 90s. That's part of the reason shoot feds like Pancrase used open hand slaps for strikes(also punching people without your fist taped==hand breaks). With the advent of Extreme poo poo and Sports Entertainment poo poo a lot of the finer points of the ruleset have fallen by the wayside.

coconono fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 4, 2018

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Not many things more satisfying in wrestling than the loud crack of a good slap or chop

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
A chop across the chest takes the wind out of the opponent.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Incessant Excess posted:

They've been legal since 2008.

I don't understand why people have a problem with closed fists. If you're gonna ban those, you might as well ban kicks or any other form of striking too.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

LividLiquid posted:

I didn't say they weren't safe. I just think they look dumb as gently caress. Turns out it's an incredibly unpopular opinion.

You ever see a movie you thought was trite dogshit but everybody sings its praises and you can't understand why, and clearly you're missing out on the enjoyment everybody else is getting? That's where I'm at with this.

And again, this is a personal thing, but it just doesn't look to me like they hurt at all even though I know they absolutely do.

I super can't understand why whipping your hand, back-handed, at an oppononent's chest is supposed to hurt more than getting punched in the loving face. You've got the guy trapped in a corner, and you're gonna' whip the back of your hand at him instead of rearranging his jaw?

It's sorta' the same problem I have with the WMD punch and the Brogue kick. If your finisher is that simple, why aren't you doing it every time you have the opportunity? Why, if you can take a guy out with one punch, are you not using that punch every time you punch them?

Wrestling is dumb and fake as poo poo, and we all accept said stupid all the time, but sometimes little things bug me.

Why does any wrestler do any cool move. Why do a suplex when you could just drop the other guy on his head. Why do a powerbomb when you can just do a piledriver.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

fatherofmustard posted:

They've been legal since 2008.

I don't understand why people have a problem with closed fists. If you're gonna ban those, you might as well ban kicks or any other form of striking too.

Good point kicks should also be banned

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
very few wrestlers are actually good at throwing a worked punch that looks good without also clocking the other guy. beyond that, being punched is something a lot of people are familiar with, so if you've got two guys bare knuckle punching each other in the face and getting up to do other stuff immediately after, it's going to look fake and dumb as hell.

I mean yes it is fake fighting at the end of the day so who cares, but most worked punches just look like poo poo so make up a rule that says they can't do it, sure.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Alaois posted:

yeah its wrestling that's dumb, not you, never you
I get disagreeing with my feelings about a wrestling move looking stupid, but are you gonna' die on the "wrestling's never dumb" hill to prove that my opinion is wrong?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

I get disagreeing with my feelings about a wrestling move looking stupid, but are you gonna' die on the "wrestling's never dumb" hill to prove that my opinion is wrong?

Your opinion is the same as Vince McMahon's, there, let's prove it that way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I don't know what podcast you guys are quoting from but it sounds lame, talk about a different one.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know what podcast you guys are quoting from but it sounds lame, talk about a different one.

No Flips Just Fists, it's the podcast that was started when the young bucks/revival rivalry was relevant and now it's mostly about house show results

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
You should all listen to the latest Monumental Podcast on the Nitro Book it is great, the next episode will be good too.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
I'd like to apologize to my wife, Nancy...

https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1059337824472887296

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The Bryan Alvarez/Marko Stunt match is up on powerbomb now:

https://powerbomb.tv/player/bdZvMd37la

Entrances start at around 1 hour 16 minutes.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Enjoyed Dave saying that Raw was boring but he didn’t hate anything on it, then 20 minutes later he’s getting real mad at the main event

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jesus WEP posted:

Enjoyed Dave saying that Raw was boring but he didn’t hate anything on it, then 20 minutes later he’s getting real mad at the main event

Fantastic WOR.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dave trying to get Bryan to give him scoops on the rest of the Marko Stunt program :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

MassRafTer posted:

You should all listen to the latest Monumental Podcast on the Nitro Book it is great, the next episode will be good too.

i second this. a really good episode.

it sounds like the book could've really been something great if it a) wasn't self-published by Some Guy (the fact nobody knows who this guy is and he suddenly appears and gets access to all these people is weird) and b) had an editor.