Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-explosion-metra-20181103-story.html

Metra worker dies, another badly hurt during Northwest Side explosion

quote:

The Metra employees were welding, using torches, to repair the tracks, Metra spokeswoman Meg Reile said.

Ambulances took them to Masonic Medical Center, where the other man remained in critical condition, Hernandez said.

The tracks were elevated, and the scene, as of 12:30 p.m., had been “secured,’’ Hernandez said. No fumes were leaking. “The public is not in danger,’’ he added.

“I have no idea what caused it. They were doing spot welds,’’ Reile said. “(The work is) not an unusual activity.’’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Speaking of Venice reminded me how much of a problem cruise ships are for them. They cause so much pollution and are pretty OSHA.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Despite reading all of this thread, I don’t know bad or unsafe this is. Seems bad tho

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

meanolmrcloud posted:

Despite reading all of this thread, I don’t know bad or unsafe this is. Seems bad tho

You can do it safely, but it's very easy to kill yourself if you're cavalier about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E12nnpWc5c

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Anybody else hearing Godzilla by Blue Oyster Cult?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Every time I read about cruise ships I get depressed. They seem like the most wasteful, touristy bullshit imaginable. Like people have this desire to see far away places, but can't stand to be away from familiar western consumer culture for more than five loving minutes. It always reminds me of one of my aunts, who went to Cairo on her honeymoon and spent most of her time there playing golf.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Skippy McPants posted:

It always reminds me of one of my aunts, who went to Cairo on her honeymoon and spent most of her time there playing golf.

I hear the sand traps are brutal.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Skippy McPants posted:

Every time I read about cruise ships I get depressed. They seem like the most wasteful, touristy bullshit imaginable. Like people have this desire to see far away places, but can't stand to be away from familiar western consumer culture for more than five loving minutes. It always reminds me of one of my aunts, who went to Cairo on her honeymoon and spent most of her time there playing golf.

After taking a private marshrutka from Kiev to Odessa on short notice, I don't think I could ever do something as bland as ride on a cruise ship. Or at least my ex claimed it was a marshrutka. I think it was just a dude with a semi-working van who took money to drive people between cities. He got us there in 4 hours, and the proper bus we took back to Kiev the next day took 8.

It was also my first trip outside the US.

Highly recommend.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Skippy McPants posted:

Real travelers go by freighter

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
I've been watching guys hop freight trains lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWzcfEMDULI

This one is pretty popular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KaCY6VcKCM

This guy died exactly how you'd expect a beer drinking train hopper to die, but his videos are interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/user/hobestobe

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MisterOblivious posted:

This guy died exactly how you'd expect a beer drinking train hopper to die

Cirrhosis of the liver?

https://www.dailydot.com/upstream/stobe-the-hobo-dath/

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Or at least my ex claimed it was a marshrutka. I think it was just a dude with a semi-working van who took money to drive people between cities.
That is a marshrutka.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Skippy McPants posted:

Honestly most people tourist destinations are happy for you to stay in and visit the touristy areas and not try to have a “local” experience. Spend your money and get out 👉🏾

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah I'm from Florida where everyone's already an American and are used to dealing with America every day and that's 100% the attitude, I imagine it's way more intense in non-American touristy places who don't need even more American bullshit in their lives.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MisterOblivious posted:

I've been watching guys hop freight trains lately.

A former co-worker's boyfriend was traveling by train and for some reason decided to hop off on a station and hop onto a freight train instead. Then he decided it was a good idea to climb on the roof. Here's a picture of a typical Finnish railway station:

:rip: at least it was quick.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

SelenicMartian posted:

That is a marshrutka.

Then I'm glad I got the authentic experience :allears: It was actually pretty cool overall. We were there to play a gig in Odessa, and we failed to get SIM cards right away, so we had no way of contacting the guys picking us up at the transit station. About an hour into the trip, a guy sitting behind us, whose headphones were obviously bumping the same kind of music we play, tapped my partner on the shoulder and said, "Are you [so-and-so]? Igor wants to talk to you," and hands over his phone. Turns out the guys picking us up at Boryspil took an Instagram photo to announce our arrival, and the guys who needed to meet us in Odessa saw it and commented that they were trying to get ahold of us. The kid in the back seat of the marshrutka saw the post, recognized us, and made sure everyone got connected.

I loving love Ukraine.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
https://i.imgur.com/iaD8fyh.gifv

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 4, 2018

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Throat cancer anybody?
Don't be such a baby, a cruise ship with 10.000 passengers only pollutes like 5.000.000 cars driving that distance.
That's totally cool for a giant restaurant&hotel driving to tourist spots.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Trabant posted:

I hear the sand traps are brutal.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1059130840901402624

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

He just wanted to go thoroughwrecked racing.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

This reminds me of one from back when I was a kid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6roevoWFCA
and
https://www.nytimes.com/1999/05/16/sports/horse-racing-notebook-spectator-interferes-with-race-at-pimlico.html

Of course, if I remember correctly, they found some serious drugs were involved. Now that I think of it though, horse racing itself is probably pretty OSHA behind the scenes. Biggest occupational hazards are falling off if you're riding, or getting kicked if you're working with them in the sheds. I've personally been headbutted by a horse (which probably explains a lot :v:)

Edit: Not drugs, depression:
https://www.nytimes.com/1999/05/18/sports/horse-racing-notebook-pimlico-intruder-wanted-to-commit-suicide.html

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 4, 2018

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

This reminds me of one from back when I was a kid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6roevoWFCA
and
https://www.nytimes.com/1999/05/16/sports/horse-racing-notebook-spectator-interferes-with-race-at-pimlico.html

Of course, if I remember correctly, they found some serious drugs were involved. Now that I think of it though, horse racing itself is probably pretty OSHA behind the scenes, though. Biggest occupational hazards are falling off if you're riding, or getting kicked if you're working with them in the sheds. I've personally been headbutted by a horse (which probably explains a lot :v:)

Edit: Not drugs, depression:
https://www.nytimes.com/1999/05/18/sports/horse-racing-notebook-pimlico-intruder-wanted-to-commit-suicide.html

I work in a network communications company broadcasting horse races.

Dog racing is the wildest wrecks, hands down. 70 lbs of dog doesn't stop if it loses traction at 55 MPH and a dog will wipe out half the other dogs running. There's no good news. They die from their injuries or are simply put down.

Now harness racing is way more dangerous than thoroughbreds and quarter horse.

Jockeys don't die as often as drivers; drivers are the riders that do harness races. Those wrecks are way more violent, since you're adding a cart and harness and wheels to the equation. Most people have seen the video of the cart get pole vaulted.

Not as many have seen the one where the gate car spun out on ice and all the horses in the field crashed into the gate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhynju2qetY

I hate animal sports.

Nurse Fanny
Aug 14, 2007

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Wasabi the J posted:

Not as many have seen the one where the gate car spun out on ice and all the horses in the field crashed into the gate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhynju2qetY

I hate animal sports.

Deadliest Warrior: Chariots vs. Motorized Pike Wall

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Wasabi the J posted:

I hate animal sports.

It doesn't help that animal racing people are, almost invariably, completely insane.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Skippy McPants posted:

Gynocentric Regime posted:

Honestly most people tourist destinations are happy for you to stay in and visit the touristy areas and not try to have a “local” experience. Spend your money and get out 👉🏾

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah I'm from Florida where everyone's already an American and are used to dealing with America every day and that's 100% the attitude, I imagine it's way more intense in non-American touristy places who don't need even more American bullshit in their lives.

I live in Orlando and just took a week cruise on the biggest touristy ship there is and after also doing a self guided two week trip through Europe I have to say there was very little difference.

Sure you can choose to really learn a local's point of view of a place but that's not how these cities and towns are setup anymore. They had the same stupid jewelry and watch shops in Orlando, Switzerland, and Jamaica. Every destination is now just a shopping stop for tourists. I just enjoyed the warm beaches and cold booze and had a fine time on vacation without needing to think too much.

OSHA Cruise Ship content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPHPr9B8wYg

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
lol if you voluntarily expose your body to the cancer-cursing sun

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

It doesn't help that animal racing people are, almost invariably, completely insane.

If dogs didn't die from running so loving fast I wouldn't feel bad about letting people bet on them chasing a toy.

But as soon as you add betting, it's a matter of time before they get bred and trained to literally kill or injure themselves, and owners are not held accountable to actually care for the animals injury, and find it cheaper and more convenient to kill it.

Then again, a lot of "regular" pet owners do the same thing when Skippy keeps pissing on the rug.

Horses have the added factor of being so loving stupid that they almost always eventually get injured and they are so frail that they will die from almost any injury.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Skippy McPants posted:

It always reminds me of one of my aunts, who went to Cairo on her honeymoon and spent most of her time there playing golf.
My aunt and uncle went to Cairo on their honeymoon too. They landed in the evening of June 4, 1967 so their trip was quite short.

I get a Chris Foss vibe from this.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thoroughbred racing has the least of those problems and it’s still bad. Harness and quarter horse races are bad and then other animals (ie dogs) are a disaster.

But I’m from Kentucky and only seen the horse industry in central Kentucky - a Kentucky bred thoroughbred is almost always worth something so the worst abuses happen elsewhere. A horse is a complete failure at the track? Some rich person from New England/mideast/asia will buy it for their daughter and proudly say they have a Kentucky race horse.

Ps Wild horses are pretty fragile too - basically all herbivores cant handle broken legs.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Do they have steeplechase in the US? Horse racing over jumps and pools of water and poo poo? Every year here the racing season starts and every year some poor horse falls over and breaks a leg and they shoot it. I'm not a fan of horses but I'm even less a fan of sending them out to die so people can gamble.

Also the jockeys get injured to but gently caress'em they had the choice not to do it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Eventing is a thing in the US but there aren't low level steeplechases you can bet on like in England.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Wasabi the J posted:

I hate animal sports torture.

The animals don't get to choose whether they race. It's not sport.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Zero One posted:

Every destination is now just a shopping stop for tourists. I just enjoyed the warm beaches and cold booze and had a fine time on vacation without needing to think too much.
I don't want to be too hard on you but if you think that's what eurotourism is about oh man are you american. And if you paid cruise money to hang out in the sun and drink well, I guess I said I wouldn't too hard on you.

starkebn posted:

The animals don't get to choose whether they race. It's not sport.
There's plenty of sporty activities furry friends can enjoy, but competition, and especially paid competition *will* ruin everything.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

evil_bunnY posted:

There's plenty of sporty activities furry friends can enjoy, but competition, and especially paid competition *will* ruin everything.

The dog agility courses and the retriever hauls rear end and jumps off the end of a pier into water events look like the dogs are having a blast.

And the whole retriever event thing was probably just some guys drinking beer and realizing "you know what my dog does this all the time down at the lake. Let's go buy *more* beer and see who's dog can jump the farthest"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Memento posted:

Also the jockeys get injured to but gently caress'em they had the choice not to do it.
This reminds me of the Animals in War memorial in London. The inscription reads “They had no choice.”