Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
If anyone hasn't checked out Dead Cells, I highly recommend it. They took heavy inspiration from SOTN combat and added in some awesome platforming to it. Plus lots of different weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'm really sad that I sold my Wii, because playing the whole Metroid Prime series with the motion aiming was absolutely amazing.

Also the weird techno-hymn music is unlike anything I've ever heard. All somber and reverent while being warped and alien as well.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I played Metroid Prime on Dolphin with motion controls disabled/a mod. I think I made it 3/4 the way through the first one and about 20% through 2 and 3 before giving up on each on the Wii. I love the setting and music, but not a fan of the waggle.

The Switch does motion controls well, though. I find myself trying to tilt my 360 controller when playing on my PC whenever I zoom in or "focus" in certain games. It's subtle but necessary, and I wish I had played through Doom the first time on my Switch because its control scheme is the best :allears:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Prime 1 has the best setting, Prime 2 has the best gameplay, Prime 3 has...motion controls and a plot? I wasn't a fan of 2's setting -- half of it is drab deserts and swamps and the other half is Dreary Evil Parallel Universe. But it has nice quality-of-life upgrades over 1.

But man, Prime 1 was just fantastic. Metroid lives and dies by its settings, and 1 nailed it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just played the demo for Horizon Chase Turbo a bit. I wasn't expecting much, but it seems to be a really good little racer that absolutely nails the feeling of Top Gear 2, with lots of little details you'll immediately recognize if you ever played that. I think I'm gonna pick it up actually.

One of my favourite little things is how when you run out of gas, you cruise on for a bit and if you're lucky enough to hit a gas pickup you can go on. So many games would have just used "gas meter empty" as an immediate fail state.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

John Murdoch posted:

Wait what's the third series.

Castlevania- Metroid- Hollow Knight

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

John Murdoch posted:

ligma balls

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

John Murdoch posted:

Contra :madmax:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

A Contravania would loving ROCK.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Screaming Idiot posted:

A Contravania would loving ROCK.

That is more or less what Axiom Verge is.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That is more or less what Axiom Verge is.

Oh. Never mind, then.

Solvalou
Aug 31, 2001

Screaming Idiot posted:

Shield Rod and Medusa Head shield, yo. It isn't Crissaegrim, but it's damned close.

Shield Rod and Alucard Shield is an awesome combo. You can clear pretty much any boss in the game in less than two seconds, including Dracula himself. Just remember to hold down the shield button instead of swinging with your sword.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Prime 1 has the best setting, Prime 2 has the best gameplay, Prime 3 has...motion controls and a plot? I wasn't a fan of 2's setting -- half of it is drab deserts and swamps and the other half is Dreary Evil Parallel Universe. But it has nice quality-of-life upgrades over 1.

But man, Prime 1 was just fantastic. Metroid lives and dies by its settings, and 1 nailed it.

Prime 1 was/is great, but the control scheme redefined atrocious. The motion control rerelease was the best thing that could have happened to that game.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Because the game came up in a discussion of QTEs in the horror game thread, Asura's Wrath is my very favorite use of QTEs in video games. The fact that they don't just use them as a lazy substitute for real gameplay but actually lean into them as an accent to the action going on in screen is great. Having mash prompts pop up all over the screen while you're mashing along with a rapid fire punchfest in the same places as all the fists, or pulling triggers and moving both sticks along with Asura stomping his feet and throwing his arms wide as he widens his stance to ready for a giant continent sized finger coming out of the sky to crush him feels REALLY good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Glagha posted:

Because the game came up in a discussion of QTEs in the horror game thread, Asura's Wrath is my very favorite use of QTEs in video games. The fact that they don't just use them as a lazy substitute for real gameplay but actually lean into them as an accent to the action going on in screen is great. Having mash prompts pop up all over the screen while you're mashing along with a rapid fire punchfest in the same places as all the fists, or pulling triggers and moving both sticks along with Asura stomping his feet and throwing his arms wide as he widens his stance to ready for a giant continent sized finger coming out of the sky to crush him feels REALLY good.

And you can skip pre-boss-fight monologues with a prompt to shut them up (by hitting them).

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I love the way it slowly fades in as well. And especially when the the boss is starting to gloat at Asura.

○ Shut X up

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Just played the demo for Horizon Chase Turbo a bit. I wasn't expecting much, but it seems to be a really good little racer that absolutely nails the feeling of Top Gear 2, with lots of little details you'll immediately recognize if you ever played that. I think I'm gonna pick it up actually.

One of my favourite little things is how when you run out of gas, you cruise on for a bit and if you're lucky enough to hit a gas pickup you can go on. So many games would have just used "gas meter empty" as an immediate fail state.

Coasting into the pits with an empty tank, or getting ai to ram you in was prime top gear gameplay.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Blood Sally posted:

i'm playing through The Mummy: Demastered, and it's a lot of fun so far. i've only died a couple of times to some dumb mistakes, but the death mechanic is pretty great: whenever you die, the villain resurrects your corpse as one more zombie for her undead army. you start up again at the nearest save point as a new recruit sent in to put down the old player and continue where they left off. my favourite bit is that all the gear collected in your previous life (better weapons, energy tanks, etc.) stay with the zombie soldier, so theoretically the further you get into the game the more dangerous it gets to die.

WayForward did this in their last metroidvania, Aliens: Infestation. only being an Alien IP, your killed characters are actually captured by xenomorphs and prepped for facehugger insemination. you start with a four person squad and can recruit new soldiers you find along the way... or, if you can find the correct alien hive soon enough, you can rescue your captured soldier before they get facehugged and keep using them.

thing dragging down their metroidvanias, though, is that they're easy enough that you'll hardly see thrse mechanics unless you make some dumb moves. in A:Infestation, i never permanently lost any of my four starting soldiers.
I think I posted about this mechanic in the things dragging this game down thread way back when I was playing it, actually.

When I started playing I gauged it about the same as this, conceptually interesting but mechanically a bit irrelevant due to the ease of the game. IIRC what happened is there's one of those long tower climb segments with a lot of platforming and spikes everywhere, but at the top I simply wound up taking the left door into the final boss chamber and dying instead of taking the right door going into the save room.

What happened afterward was that the tower climb that was forgetfully easy the first time though took double digit attempts because any enemy contact knocked me into the spikes and took off half my health bar now that it was 1/3 the size. Then when I finally made it to the last boss who was legitimately pretty difficult, I wound up wasting several minutes every attempt recovering weapons from the zombie soldier then running back to the enemy generator to farm ammo/health which was tedious to the point I almost quit even though I'd been enjoying everything else about the game.

Still a neat idea, especially as a way to get you to try underused weapons, but when it's bad it's really bad. Just taking half the health upgrades instead of all and refilling ammo after recovering weapons (or just being more generous with refill stations) could smooth it out.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That reminds me: a nice little thing that Hollow Knight does is literally signpost the save stations. If you're in a room that has multiple exits, you'll know if one of them leads to a savepoint because there'll be a sign saying so. So you don't have to worry about accidentally plotting a horrible route through the game that just happens to bypass every savepoint. It also cuts way down on the "maybe I should backtrack and try a different route" thoughts.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I’ve been playing through Nioh, and I prefer their take on ranged combat compared to the Soulsborne series. When you headshot a regular enemy in Nioh, it’s almost always a one-hit kill that has a very satisfying feel to it. Some bosses are also susceptible to a headshot, which will leave them open to a critical attack.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

It also cuts way down on the "maybe I should backtrack and try a different route" thoughts.

This sounds like a downside for a Metroidvania, to me. Wandering back through old areas and finding stuff you forgot about to use your new toys on is half the fun of the genre.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PubicMice posted:

This sounds like a downside for a Metroidvania, to me. Wandering back through old areas and finding stuff you forgot about to use your new toys on is half the fun of the genre.

Dont worry, youll have pleeeeeenty of time to backtrack in Hollow Knight.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Backtracking is a good thing, feeling lost and aimless is not

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Backtracking should come from a natural desire to explore, and not from a nagging fear of getting hosed over FOR exploring

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Black August posted:

Backtracking should come from a natural desire to explore, and not from a nagging fear of getting hosed over FOR exploring

This is why linear games putting in hidden collectibles (especially if they give you upgrades) is rear end. The entire game flow is ruined because you feel like you need to rub yourself up against every surface in case you're missing an interact prompt.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I just wish there were, like, any Metroidvanias that took the maximalist approach to the extent that SotN did. No matter how much or how little you care about hunting down obscure secrets in SotN, you'll have enough good equipment to get by, and caring more just gets you more options. There's just so many opportunities to acquire cool stuff that you can't help but find some combination of it in some sequence. Give me a well-paced, carefully-designed game, but also give me an abundance of entertaining clutter.

The Binding of Isaac (and, presumably, Dead Cells) kind of scratches that same itch, but I'll never get the same satisfaction of a roguelike/lite that I get out of a more structured game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Is Aria/Dawn of Sorrow not enough for you? I really enjoy in those games that every time you play, you'll get different Soul drops, or you might decide to actively grind a rare one asap this time, and you have "normal" weapons to use on top of that.

Also, contrary to SotN, the Sorrows are not trivial after a point/excluding Garamoth-shaped outliers, so there's actual incentive to get good with your current setup and/or experiment with new ones.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Rollersnake posted:

There's just so many opportunities to acquire cool stuff that you can't help but find some combination of it in some sequence.

A totally different genre, but this is actually the thing I most like about Final Fantasy V; the game's so generous with abilities with really strong potential uses that you're almost definitely going to find some really remarkable single tool or combo over the course of the game. And the game's balanced with the intention that you're using those combos, so when you actually do figure out the strength of Dual Wield-Rapid Fire or something it really pays off and you feel like a badass.

You see it in a few RPGs, actually. I'd say Pokemon is probably the most well known example in RPGs of 'the game's thrown enough poo poo at you that by the end you've struck some kinda gold'.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Transistor has that as well. It encourages experimentation by taking away a power when you lose all your health, in exchange your health bar fills up again. After that battle you can swap in another power while waiting for the previous one to return.

Each power is also associated with a person, and you can unlock bits of their profile by equipping a power in a specific slot (active, passive or as modifier to an active ability). I’m not sure if that gives you any rewards outside of lore and an achievement, but that also encourages you to mix and match powers.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

i know it would be dumb and stupid from a lore perspective or whatever but i want Transistor 2

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Simply Simon posted:

Is Aria/Dawn of Sorrow not enough for you? I really enjoy in those games that every time you play, you'll get different Soul drops, or you might decide to actively grind a rare one asap this time, and you have "normal" weapons to use on top of that.

Also, contrary to SotN, the Sorrows are not trivial after a point/excluding Garamoth-shaped outliers, so there's actual incentive to get good with your current setup and/or experiment with new ones.

I really like Aria of Sorrow, and I think on hard mode it has the most balanced challenge of all the Metroidvanias. But everything's just on a smaller scale than SotN, and there are fewer odd surprises.

Dawn of Sorrow I haven't played since it was new, but all I really remember are the soul grinding, shoehorned-in touchscreen mechanics, and a couple of good boss fights that got reused in Harmony of Despair.

Cleretic posted:

A totally different genre, but this is actually the thing I most like about Final Fantasy V; the game's so generous with abilities with really strong potential uses that you're almost definitely going to find some really remarkable single tool or combo over the course of the game. And the game's balanced with the intention that you're using those combos, so when you actually do figure out the strength of Dual Wield-Rapid Fire or something it really pays off and you feel like a badass.

I adore Final Fantasy V, and you're right—it succeeds for very similar reasons. I never really made a connection between the two.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Uncharted 4 had a ton of little touches but my favorite was the tunnel escape that mimicked Crash Bandicoot.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Rollersnake posted:

Dawn of Sorrow I haven't played since it was new, but all I really remember are the soul grinding, shoehorned-in touchscreen mechanics, and a couple of good boss fights that got reused in Harmony of Despair.

Dawn of Sorrow suffered badly from the enforced soul grind. In Aria, even if you only got the guaranteed boss souls, you'd still have a reasonably wide selection of useful (if expensive MP-wise) tools, plus a bunch of decently-powerful weapons that were just organically scattered about the game world. And any souls that you did get as random drops would probably be pretty fun to experiment with and might well be quite useful.

In Dawn, the guaranteed souls are much less useful, and the useful ones are required inputs for the weapon crafting system. Speaking of which, there are basically no useful weapons in the castle; you instead have to craft upgrades for your weapons by fusing souls to them. And the souls you get as random drops a) are vastly more rare than the bestiary entries claim, and b) typically have very low utility if you only have one of them; you have to get 9 copies to max out the power of a soul and get it to something approximating its utility in Aria.

So basically, if you want a fun romp where you get a varied toolkit and an organically-ramping power level, play Aria. If you want to enter a room, kill a monster, get no drop, leave the room, re-enter it, kill the monster, etc. then play Dawn.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
For the best weapons you need boss souls too so if you want to have both at the same time you'll need to go through a couple playthroughs.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

My first reaction was that it wasn't that bad in DoS, but then I realized I just grinded Ghost Dancer souls (boost your luck) early on and rarely unequipped them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Abugadu posted:

Uncharted 4 had a ton of little touches but my favorite was the tunnel escape that mimicked Crash Bandicoot.

Don't forget the game starts with the actual tunnel escape from Crash Bandicoot :v:.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'd rather they pay homage to Crash 2. Crash 1 sucked.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
In Shadowrun: Dragonfall one sidequest has a temporary companion who becomes increasingly frustrated as I click through every hotspot (search trash bin, read papers on desk etc.)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I never ground in Dawn the first time around and it was fine, dunno why you feel you have to. I also didn't fuse anything. Maybe that made it harder, but I felt like the bosses were comparable even on my "get everything" runs later. They "just" take a bit longer, which is fine as they're mostly fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Kennel posted:

In Shadowrun: Dragonfall one sidequest has a temporary companion who becomes increasingly frustrated as I click through every hotspot (search trash bin, read papers on desk etc.)

Oh....Hey I uh....I bought that game and the DLCs on a sale and uh..never actually played em.

I should do this.