Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

We ate the food? Doesn't that lock us into the ending where, on the final day, our character dies shortly before the final revelations that tie the plot together from the poison in the food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Truthkeeper posted:

Finally managed to finish binging this thread. I'm disappointed that people like the protagonist this much. You have to admit that even though Saionji's the worst person who isn't Akio or Anthy it certainly would have been interesting to see what actively pursuing him with protagonist powers would be like.

I was actually curious as to whether people would go that route or not, and you can tell in the first post I thought it was a real possibility people might have us go all in on Saionji or Touga out of sadism towards me (Well, I wouldn't have minded Touga). Touga could still happen, I guess, as we've voted his way on every decision we've discussed with him except the chat with Wakaba.

I think part of the problem is that Utena's male character designs are...not particularly attractive (Akio possibly excepted). Touga is clearly supposed to be the eye candy of the show but even he is strangely...angular. Also, they're all colossal douchebags excepting Miki, and Miki is dull and uninteresting.

We are (for now! Thread can always change its mind, and Day 2 is by no means too late to change targets, and there'll be a vote towards the end of Day 2 as to whether or not we're continuing to chase Jury) committed to attempting to go the Jury route, but I get the impression that, at least from the various playthroughs across the net I've managed to find (I looked up pretty much every English language LP of this game in preparation for this thread and skipped to key moments to see how people deal with this game), pretty much everyone goes for Jury the first time they play and they either succeed or get a bad end attempting it.

It's pretty much impossible to find a detailed playthrough of Saionji's route, outside of people showing a few out-of-context images.

Randalor posted:

We ate the food? Doesn't that lock us into the ending where, on the final day, our character dies shortly before the final revelations that tie the plot together from the poison in the food?

What? Don't be silly, why would Anthy want to...

:ohdear:

If it makes you feel any better, I think the Protagonist's GI tract did a highly efficient job of expelling anything dangerous in that food, given the toilet scene.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Truthkeeper posted:

Finally managed to finish binging this thread. I'm disappointed that people like the protagonist this much. You have to admit that even though Saionji's the worst person who isn't Akio or Anthy it certainly would have been interesting to see what actively pursuing him with protagonist powers would be like.

Also, to pull way back to something Patter Song quoted Dallbun saying some pages back:

There's an obvious second reason Patter Song can't be a duelist: she doesn't have a tragic backstory.
Hey, I don't think it's fair to put Anthy on the same level of bad as her abuser, Akio.

Like, you get that she's not ACTUALLY an evil witch, right? That's the justification Akio uses for abusing her, as well as 'she enjoys it' when he rapes her and 'she doesn't enjoy anything anyway' for his abuse in general. She is absolutely untrustworthy because she's been sucked into playing along with his poo poo and the only outlet she has for her negative emotions is lashing out manipulatively at other people, which ends up being really easy to do when playing her role involves them abusing her in the first place. But it bothers me when I see people spouting Akio's rhetoric to explain why Anthy is scary.

I'm not trying to say that she has no responsibility for her actions, there are some real doozies in there like setting up Utena to be preyed on by Akio and her long-standing gaslighting and assault campaign against Nanami, but I think contextually she's supposed to be a person worn down by god knows how long of abuse and isolation, and while Utena can't save her from her situation, Utena can and did accept Anthy as a person worthy of being treated like a person even after seeing Anthy at her worst, and that's a powerful thing when you've been told for so long that you're an evil witch who soils everything you touch and that nobody other than your abuser and rapist could tolerate being around you. Sure, Utena gets hurt in the aftermath, but I don't see her disappearance as a bad thing, and I think that the ending is ultimately hopeful with both Utena and Anthy escaping the unhealthy coping mechanisms that kept them in Ohtori.

EDIT: That said, it's totally cool if someone else has a completely different take, one of the big themes in RGU is that people don't fall neatly into the categories of abuser and survivor a ton of the time, especially if things go unaddressed and unprocessed.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 2, 2018

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Patter Song posted:

I think part of the problem is that Utena's male character designs are...not particularly attractive (Akio possibly excepted). Touga is clearly supposed to be the eye candy of the show but even he is strangely...angular. Also, they're all colossal douchebags excepting Miki, and Miki is dull and uninteresting.
Well also it's a very gay anime and to do it justice in this LP, it's gotta be gay. Touga/Saionji is my douchebag otp. I could write an essay on it. I have written an essay on it.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Anthy is... easily the most "difficult" character of the show, but probably the most important to it's themes and metaphors. She's the abuse victim, the princess, the witch, and the archetypal feminine all in one. Perhaps, as the archetypal feminine, it's fitting that both viewers and the show's own characters only see one part of her. The men view her as an object, to possess or for furthering other goals. The women mostly see her as disgusting and off-putting. Even Utena only sees one part of her, the victim.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Trying to stay out of the Anthy chat except to point out that she's such a fantastically-written character that it's totally possible to have diametrically opposed views of what her role/character is and be able to support them with evidence from the source material.

And yes, I still stand by eating her food.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Camel Pimp posted:

Anthy is... easily the most "difficult" character of the show, but probably the most important to it's themes and metaphors. She's the abuse victim, the princess, the witch, and the archetypal feminine all in one. Perhaps, as the archetypal feminine, it's fitting that both viewers and the show's own characters only see one part of her. The men view her as an object, to possess or for furthering other goals. The women mostly see her as disgusting and off-putting. Even Utena only sees one part of her, the victim.
Yeah, but I'd argue that Utena viewing Anthy as a victim and herself as Anthy's savior is explicitly intended to make their relationship shallow and unhealthy, and also allows Anthy to play Utena like a fiddle. It's only when Utena is able to acknowledge that her protection of Anthy was rooted in her own selfish desires (to become a prince) that their relationship is able to deepen, and while in the end Utena rejects Akio's presentations of Anthy as the whore and the witch, Anthy still stabs her in the back, because the thing is that even though Anthy is a complex, fully realized character putting on a bunch of shallow facades, actual people can still be super dangerous if they feel cornered.

Uh, I kind of got distracted there, but what I mean to say is that by the time Utena opens the gate and reaches into Anthy's coffin, she can no longer see Anthy purely as an abuse survivor, but she is willing to fight through intense pain and bloody her hands to reach for Anthy anyway. And that's always had a huge impact on me, as someone who feels like I don't have a lot of worth due to my own internalized bullshit.

Patter Song posted:

Trying to stay out of the Anthy chat except to point out that she's such a fantastically-written character that it's totally possible to have diametrically opposed views of what her role/character is and be able to support them with evidence from the source material.

And yes, I still stand by eating her food.
Wholeheartedly agreed. I definitely know my own views reflect my own biases, and that someone else could have an equally valid view that is incompatible with mine. For me, I interpret her as a character who uses a variety of roles and personas to cover how depressed, empty, suicidal, and hopeless she feels, and I know I'm basing that quite strongly on a few specific comments she makes (like about trying to be a doll because dolls are things without feelings) that someone else might weigh more or less heavily. I don't think she thinks what Akio is doing is right, but I don't think she can bring herself to make herself vulnerable by expressing true sincerity to someone, and frankly I think she's so tired she doesn't much care about other people, because caring is another form of vulnerability. In that lens, the only time you really see 'raw' Anthy is when she's in the coffin and reaching out desperately for Utena... even the ending, which involves her taking literal steps forward, has her be composed and cool.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 2, 2018

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

PetraCore posted:

Wholeheartedly agreed. I definitely know my own views reflect my own biases, and that someone else could have an equally valid view that is incompatible with mine. For me, I interpret her as a character who uses a variety of roles and personas to cover how depressed, empty, suicidal, and hopeless she feels, and I know I'm basing that quite strongly on a few specific comments she makes (like about trying to be a doll because dolls are things without feelings) that someone else might weigh more or less heavily. I don't think she thinks what Akio is doing is right, but I don't think she can bring herself to make herself vulnerable by expressing true sincerity to someone, and frankly I think she's so tired she doesn't much care about other people, because caring is another form of vulnerability. In that lens, the only time you really see 'raw' Anthy is when she's in the coffin and reaching out desperately for Utena... even the ending, which involves her taking literal steps forward, has her be composed and cool.

I do feel that you are letting Anthy off too easy, though maybe that's not the appropriate way to put it. I do feel that while Akio is the cause of why Anthy is as bad as she is, but I don't have a good answer for "if someone else is the cause of someone being terrible, at what point can you blame the victim when they end up terrible as well?" In my position I think it's terrible what happened to her, and the decisions she makes is regrettable, but I don't think Anthy ever really shows any indication of wanting to change herself. I know I stated my opinions earlier in the thread about not liking Anthy and a lot of that is due to because she takes no actions to work towards her own freedom, but I do see where you're coming from and why you view her in that way.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Potsticker posted:

I do feel that you are letting Anthy off too easy, though maybe that's not the appropriate way to put it. I do feel that while Akio is the cause of why Anthy is as bad as she is, but I don't have a good answer for "if someone else is the cause of someone being terrible, at what point can you blame the victim when they end up terrible as well?" In my position I think it's terrible what happened to her, and the decisions she makes is regrettable, but I don't think Anthy ever really shows any indication of wanting to change herself. I know I stated my opinions earlier in the thread about not liking Anthy and a lot of that is due to because she takes no actions to work towards her own freedom, but I do see where you're coming from and why you view her in that way.
Oh, I don't really disagree with your interpretation! The only solid action in the anime at least that Anthy really and truly takes for herself is leaving, I think. And that's not a redemption story, but it could be the start of one. It's just something that's outside the scope of the story. For me, what's important is that regardless of if she's a good person or a bad person, however you define those terms, she starts making steps to figure out what she wants and how she can help Utena.

In terms of the character with the most engaging character arc to me, though, that's definitely got to be Nanami. Nanami also starts out as a pretty lovely person, and like Anthy she has her reasons for being such, but you see her growth over the course of the story and in the end I think she's the character best placed to leave Ohtori and move on to something healthier. Like, she literally puts in a transfer request because she realizes her relationship with Touga is unhealthy and that he's bad for her. That's a huge amount of self-awareness that I don't think any other character displays.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

OK, this isn't what I want my thread to look like. Big black boxes is not ok.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Okay, I'll stop. Sorry, Patter Song!

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism

Leraika posted:

Nanami got the best song in the musical, too.

i got around to watching the whole thing and you're 100% right. i wish she had a bigger role but...i don't even know where to start with how great this bit is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdugBR7kGLc

well ok that being said its so hard to choose a best part between saionji being even more of a sad joke, or juri's "hello ladies" brooding. or anthy.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
By the way, I am calling it for A + 18. Vote is 7 to 3.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Patter Song posted:

Attractiveness being highly subjective, I do agree that Touga is probably drawn the least physically attractive of the main three guys, (oh wait, Miki is a guy too. Right.) but that he's got a fairly attractive personality compared to the other two. If Saionji's introduction wasn't so overwhelmingly negative perhaps things would be different, but I definitely agree with PetraCore that he and Touga are a great pair for each other.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I thought Ruka looked good but being a totally irredeemable rear end in a top hat even by "man in Utena" standards is very unattractive.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Patter Song posted:

I agree that Miki isn't really sexually attractive in his own right, but I don't think he's dull and uninteresting. He's actually one of my favorite characters on the show simply because he gets along with everyone. I guess that's not purely "on him" so to speak, but I think a lot is added to the other characters and the show as a whole in how he brings out a lot of positive character traits you don't normally see from the others simply by being one of the few non-hostile relationships they have with another person.

Azza Bamboo posted:

I thought Ruka looked good but being a totally irredeemable rear end in a top hat even by "man in Utena" standards is very unattractive.

Ruka is unarguably hyper-sexy.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Blue Labrador posted:

I agree that Miki isn't really sexually attractive in his own right, but I don't think he's dull and uninteresting. He's actually one of my favorite characters on the show simply because he gets along with everyone. I guess that's not purely "on him" so to speak, but I think a lot is added to the other characters and the show as a whole in how he brings out a lot of positive character traits you don't normally see from the others simply by being one of the few non-hostile relationships they have with another person.
Yeah, agreed with this. When so many other people are inclined to be hostile trashfires, there's a lot of value in the guy who just goes with the flow and calms people down. The flipside to that is that Miki is a pretty naive guy, so he can get sucked into some pretty bad poo poo like the duels! His biggest strength as a character is also his biggest vulnerability.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Patter Song posted:

I'd argue none of the character designs are all that attractive. Those pupil-less eyes...

(But I mean, if we have to chose, yeah Ruka's probably the best looking)

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Camel Pimp posted:

I'd argue none of the character designs are all that attractive. Those pupil-less eyes...

I probably shouldn't have phrased it that way. I meant it more as "Touga is clearly intended to be the 'eye-candy' character, but he has a triangular head..."

The manga has Touga in one of his "romantic" scenes wearing a The Wizard of Oz T-shirt.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

You are too naive, Miki. You believe any man from Nebraska who says he's an all-powerful wizard who will give you the Power to Revolutionize the World in his letters but never lets you see his face.

Holy poo poo, I never thought about this before, but that shirt could totally be foreshadowing for Akio...except manga Akio's not exactly a Wizard of Oz figure.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Haha you know since he owns that shirt he's like hella into really obscure 70s Prog Rock or, like, pinball.

Patter Song posted:

Holy poo poo, I never thought about this before, but that shirt could totally be foreshadowing for Akio...except manga Akio's not exactly a Wizard of Oz figure.
I really do think you're on to something, The Wizard of Oz is the biggest American fairy tale there is, and considering all the fairy tale motifs in the franchise that's clearly intentional. I haven't read the manga so I don't fully know how he plays out in that adaptation, but wouldn't make more sense for that to foreshadow Touga's role in the plot and not Akio's? Touga's the one who's a paper tiger after all, so he's kind of an empty threat a la the Wizard himself.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm very tempted to write a full-fledged "If I only had a brain/heart/nerve" parody featuring Saionji as the Scarecrow, Touga as the Tin Man, and Miki as the Cowardly Lion (with Utena as Dorothy), but that might be taking the joke too far.

Anyway, going to play the update now. Update will go up either tonight or tomorrow depending on how tired I get.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Patter Song posted:

"Touga is clearly intended to be the 'eye-candy' character, but he has a triangular head..."

For other reasons too, but this is one of the reasons I really enjoyed Gakuen Handsome.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Okay I looked that up, and drat it looks hysterical, and I'm surprised how many idiots in reviews don't get that it's clearly a deliberate parody.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Robindaybird posted:

I'm surprised how many idiots in reviews don't get that it's clearly a deliberate parody.

:psyduck:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
12 episodes...that's a big commitment...

3 and a half minute episodes!?!

I am bingeing this thing right now.

EDIT: Episode 3 and the "cool guy" who is so shy he can't get "yoroshiku onegaishimasu" out of his mouth. Handsome Gakuen is hilarious.

EDIT: OMG the ED. The dancing. The dancing! The human body doesn't bend like that! This is perfect! Right off of 2001 Newgrounds, complete with the dialogue.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 4, 2018

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
It's important to remember that not everything you see in Utena is exactly as it is. [talking about characters not actually being there maybe]

Allegory is a really strong part of Utena, particularly visual allegory (the fax machine in the barn is my favorite example, and one that I think works particularly well). I think probably the key takeaway though is that, generally speaking, everyone in the show has good intentions (even Akio!), but they tend to go about them in stupendously stupid ways. In particular, Anthy's "imprisonment" of the White Prince is done out of care for the Prince's health - since this is the version the Shadow Girls share, you can generally assume it's true, since the entire point of that sequence is to clear up problems with the plot, and they also go against the common knowledge that the Witch "kidnapped and locked away" the Prince - and results in her real body being stuck in that torture pit; a fairly literal example of "the road to hell is paved with good intentions".

Ace of Aces fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Nov 4, 2018

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Could you please, please put most of that stuff in spoiler tags? Especially the Ruka stuff?

Granted, he's not in the game, but seriously. That's giving away one of the best two-parters in the series. There are people here who keep posting that they haven't watched the show.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Chapter XIV: Going Clubbing

Soundtrack: After School Girls https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-G1ipZvIjE

Obviously, we're not going to take advice from the scary girl (...maybe Chigusa's a boy, better look again) who clearly hates us. We're going with our guts. A+18 it is. That sounds more like an algebra answer than 38, anyway.

Patter Song: It's A+18.

Teacher: Correct. Everyone, it looks like our new students are quite impressive! Try your best not to fall behind!

Good, you're not a complete idiot, Protagonist-Us. But why would Chigusa try to sabotage us?

Patter Song: (I'm so glad...my first thought was right after all.)

Patter Song: (Why? Because I didn't use the answer she gave me?)

Clearly. She wanted to humiliate us in front of the school and make us look like fools. Luckily, that will never happen.

Look how popular we are! Everyone loves Patter Song. Let her do her worst...we'll beat her at every turn.

Wait, what?

Why am I losing one affinity with all of them?

Stop it! My popularity! Don't go!

JURY!!! This will not stand. How could this get any worse?

Oh...that's OK, then. Carry on.

Meet one of the game's central mechanics, the Chigusa cull. Every once in a while, Chigusa will take away a certain amount of affinity between you and every other character. I will not explain the mechanics behind how they determine it, but I will say it's based on your choices in interactions with her and that in this particular encounter, she could've taken anywhere between 0 and 4(!!!) affinity with all the characters. If she had taken away four full roses worth of affinity, our % value with Saionji and Miki would be near-zero and the other three would be not much higher. Chigusa's cull is the reason why it's very easy to get a game over in this game. As is, the thread only lost one in this encounter, so we're doing pretty well!

Suddenly, the logic behind the frequent save points becomes a lot clearer, doesn't it?

Soundtrack: Morning Lyrical https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn11eyxGY1k

Your day at school was all of one math problem. You don't get to complain.

Patter Song: (Now, I should make the rounds and check out the clubs right away. Which club should I visit first?)

Yes, we're already to the vote. As we no doubt remember, the Fencing Club is headed by Chigusa (Thread Opinion: :ohdear:) ...but didn't Jury (Thread Opinion: :swoon:) also say she headed the Fencing Club? Miki (Thread Opinion: :) ) definitely said he was in the Fencing Club. Well, whatever, we'll sort it out if we go that way. The Kendo Club is headed by Saionji (Thread Opinion: :fuckoff:), and I know you all don't like Saionji, but like I said before, I make decisions on character interactions based on the mood of the thread, so don't fear that I'll have you romance Saionji if we pick that option. There's also the Newspaper Club which has never appeared in Utena. It is a complete mystery. Who writes the Ohtori paper? Wakaba? Anthy? Chu-Chu? :iiam: It might be interesting exploring that option and exploring a new side of Ohtori.

:siren: This is the first choice that involves missable content in the LP, and not just "I missed a cool scene here," but actual plot-relevant info and cool sequences. This game's replay value is all about taking multiple routes, and you will miss interesting things in this game no matter which decision you pick. For example, my favorite track in the Utena OST, Orpheus, plays in the Kendo Club. As far as I know, it's the only place in the game it plays!

We're technically done for the day, but because this update is so short, I thought I'd leave you with a parting present.

Patter Song posted:

I'm very tempted to write a full-fledged "If I only had a brain/heart/nerve" parody featuring Saionji as the Scarecrow, Touga as the Tin Man, and Miki as the Cowardly Lion (with Utena as Dorothy), but that might be taking the joke too far.

No one should actually read this posted:

Saionji:

I could while away the hours
Smell Anthy's cut rose flowers
While kendo I would train.
And my head I would be scratchin'
While my eggs I would be crackin'
If I only had a brain!

I'd unravel every riddle
With Anthy in the middle
But not slap her to pain

Utena:

With the thoughts you would be thinkin'
Dios' Power you'd be clinchin'
If you only had a brain!

Saionji:

Oh I would tell you why
The castle floats and more
I could tell you things I'd never thunk before
And then I'd drink and think some more!

I would not be just a flunky
Losing Anthy to a monkey
My heart all full of pain
I would find something eternal
World's End's plot is infernal
If I only had a brain!

Gosh it would be pleasin'
To reason out the reason
For things I can't explain!

Utena:

Like Anthy!

Saionji:

Then perhaps I'll deserve her
And even worthy of her
If I only had a brain!

Utena + Saionji:

We're off to see the Chairman, the wonderful Chairman of ours
We hear he is a Prince of a Man if ever a Prince there was!
If ever a Prince of a Man there was the Chairman of ours is one because
Because because because because because
Because of the decadent things he does!
We're off to see the Chairman, the wonderful Chairman of ours!

And with that done, until next time, The Absolute Destiny Apocalypse!

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 4, 2018

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Obviously since both Juri and Chigusa are captain of the it, we must away to the Fencing Club

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
Let's visit the fencing club. Chigusa's fishy and owes us answers, and Jury's there.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

We should figure out what's going on at the Fencing Club.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Kendo Club because someone is legally obligated to vote for Saionji

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Kendo Club because we might get another chance to make Saionji look ridiculous.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Newspaper club, because I'm curious about what goes in in a place with no named characters involved, and it's not like anybody else will vote for it.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Truthkeeper posted:

Newspaper club, because I'm curious about what goes in in a place with no named characters involved, and it's not like anybody else will vote for it.

I really like the idea that your social options at Ohtori are:

Japanese-style swordfighting.
Western-style swordfighting.
School paper.

Healthy balance of activities there.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Technically, we're only allowed to do journalism because of that quote about the pen being mightier than the sword.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Kendo Club because you get to hit people.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

Patter Song posted:

I really like the idea that your social options at Ohtori are:

Japanese-style swordfighting.
Western-style swordfighting.
School paper.

Healthy balance of activities there.

It's bizarre, Ohtori seems like the kind of place that should be drowning in clubs and activities. It's a huge boarding school with a budget that probably dwarfs small nations. I mean, it's established fact that the student council does nothing but throw lavish parties and fight for the right to own a human being and maybe get control of a poorly defined power, but what the hell do the rest of the students do when they're not in class? We know there are sports other than the two sword clubs (well, we know there are basketball players who got schooled by Utena). Are we seriously expected to believe that that giant greenhouse full of roses is just there for Anthy?

Actually, that last one seems oddly plausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Our relationship with Jury has been damaged enough that it needs to go up again, so Fencing it is.

So far, every time we piss off Chigusa, it seems to do less damage to our other relationships. So theoretically we're doing good so far, sample size of one.