Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

quote:

The bushing was gone, so the steel roller it holds was flopping around and turning on the steel pin. Operators never said anything until it fell off. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well yeah. If it was really a problem, the last guy to use it would have said something, right?

edit: That's a lovely snipe. Here, have a hydraulic cylinder that literally "just did that."

Found this in the hydraulic lines. Not good.

We still have no idea what caused this, but it took out the main control valve, and the oil cooler, so all of it is being replaced under warranty.

Two goddamn days to get this out.

EKDS5k fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Took apart the B17 I exploded back in september.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
My downstairs neighbor's dryer "stopped spinning" and she asked me to take a look at it. Got the drum out and found this (along with LOTS of lint and steel filings):

The bracket for the rear support bearing had been machining its way through the bearing for who knows how long until it finally cut all the way through it. I can't imagine what this must have sounded like. For reference, this is what it looks like before years of neglect:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
That's a drat fine start to an AI:SS present you've got there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The flared base. :perfect:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Somebody give that dryer motor a raise.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Crustashio posted:

Took apart the B17 I exploded back in september.

That's goddamned impressive. :stonkhat:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

"NOTE: Do not misalign the rod bearings more than 6° or the seals may be damaged"

Or maybe corrosion will shoot the bearing balls out the side of the rod end.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

"NOTE: Do not misalign the rod bearings more than 6° or the seals may be damaged"

What the poo poo is that?

E: Like what was it?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Hate having leftover parts from ikea builds.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

wesleywillis posted:

What the poo poo is that?

E: Like what was it?

They used to be rod end bearings. These specific ones are flight control rod ends. So the flight controls of the airplane go from the control in the hands down through bellcranks to cables, through the fuselage, out the wings/tail, to bellcranks and then to pushrods, with these rod ends at each end. There's an inspection to take the rods out, take the clips and seals out of the bearings, clean them, then repack full of grease, reinstall the seals and clips, and reinstall the rods. Well, if the seals fail, then the bearings get corroded and puke their guts out. Or they get seized and don't spin or pivot. Either way, they come apart and get replaced. This picture is a cup with 2.5 failed rod ends in it. There are two outer threaded bits (a left-hand- and a right-hand-thread) three inner races, a bunch of bearing balls, and a bunch of seals and retaining clips, plus the remains of grease and rust that used to be inside.

There are some aeronautical "horrible" failures up-thread of this that absolutely would not make me blink an eye anymore. One trim washer in a panel? At least all the screws are phillips head. I took panels off this airplane that were supposed to be coin-slot screws. I got some phillips as well, and some nazi screws. All 100° countersunk reduced head nominally. A few different lengths and materials. Of twenty fasteners, I think I ended up with 8 different distinct screw types based on length, material (stainless, unplated, cad-plated), and head style. The only thing that would have actually surprised me would have been a button-head wood screw at that point.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice
well that may explain a lot with this used car.

The wrench was added by me to help the wife at the hardware store find a new nut. It didn't help and I had to go anyways.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

stgdz posted:

well that may explain a lot with this used car.

The wrench was added by me to help the wife at the hardware store find a new nut. It didn't help and I had to go anyways.

That's impressive, I've never seen that happen before. Did you replace the bracket or just torque the living poo poo out of it and then look the other way while posting a Craigslist ad?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://i.imgur.com/ZD7M4VE.mp4

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Immediately heard this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMH49ieL4es

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Better lane discipline than half the drivers on the road.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Crotch Fruit posted:

Well this did happen in Houston.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's impressive, I've never seen that happen before. Did you replace the bracket or just torque the living poo poo out of it and then look the other way while posting a Craigslist ad?

You talking about the arm or the mount?

Because the mount has a slot in it for some darn reason from the oem

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Crotch Fruit posted:

I'm the multiple, massive cracks in the windshield.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

stgdz posted:

You talking about the arm or the mount?

Because the mount has a slot in it for some darn reason from the oem

That's weird. I've replaced a few dogbones in my Imprezas and I don't remember there being a slot on the factory mount. It's been a few years, though, so I've probably just forgotten.

Thanks!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The slot is there so they can use the same pitch stop and mount on the trans between the regular legacy/impreza and outback/forester, which space the subframes, suspension mounts, and drivetrains down.

Also "a 14mm" wrench doesn't tell you the thread pitch and unless the hardware store has JIS fasteners there won't even be any of that size.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

jamal posted:

The slot is there so they can use the same pitch stop and mount on the trans between the regular legacy/impreza and outback/forester, which space the subframes, suspension mounts, and drivetrains down.

Also "a 14mm" wrench doesn't tell you the thread pitch and unless the hardware store has JIS fasteners there won't even be any of that size.

No one has those flanged JIS fasteners except dealerships. Even Mcmaster Carr has relatively few options

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

No one has those flanged JIS fasteners except dealerships. Even Mcmaster Carr has relatively few options

Belmetric does:

https://www.belmetric.com/metric-flange-nuts-c-3_48/

Buy a bag today, keep it in your toolbox.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Belmetric does:

Dang, if only I'd known earlier, I could've actually had fine threaded M12's instead of going with the coarse that McMaster Carr has

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

That's weird. I've replaced a few dogbones in my Imprezas and I don't remember there being a slot on the factory mount. It's been a few years, though, so I've probably just forgotten.

Thanks!

Yeah it was crazy especially when I saw the indents farther up on the factory mount. The chassis was a auto before so that could be it.

In regards to the 14mm spanner. My hope was for the wife to go the hardware store and show them them the spanner and get close to a fine but size.

She brought home a coarse nylon......

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

IT has a sort of majestic beauty, like a paddle-wheel riverboat. I had to watch it through several times - it's mesmerizing.

Belmetric does:

Thank you. Bookmarked.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
https://i.imgur.com/pEviIfh.gifv

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

The red light makes that. Alarms blaring in a control room as everyone panics and mashes buttons.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I've been trapped in one of those el-cheapo car wash places when things go to hell. Man, it isn't fun.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

“Hi, I’m a dumbass who videos the disaster rather than, say, taking the aircon off of the fresh air setting, and perhaps turning the fan down. “

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
At least the ducts are clean now...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Darchangel posted:

“Hi, I’m a dumbass who videos the disaster rather than, say, taking the aircon off of the fresh air setting, and perhaps turning the fan down. “

At this point it probably doesn't really matter.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Godholio posted:

At this point it probably doesn't really matter.

It does if you don't want to blow suds all over the interior and drip down into the center stack electronics, like the idiot was letting happen.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Darchangel posted:

It does if you don't want to blow suds all over the interior and drip down into the center stack electronics, like the idiot was letting happen.

Yeah, turning it to recirc would be the smart move, but the extra 15 seconds isn't likely going to make much difference. Turning off the fan is pointless or worse. Leaking through the plastic joints in the ducting behind the dash is probably worse...I'd rather expose it to air and get it dry sooner, or able to be vacuumed out. The water is in the car either way. I'd rather have it where I can deal with it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I don't think most people know what recirc is or what it does.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

honda whisperer posted:

I don't think most people know what recirc is or what it does.

This is obfuscated on the controls as well, many times "MAX AC!!!"

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pHepfgw9lk

the horrible mechanical failure was in the past.

Stay for what he finds in the old stud holes.

in his words "A Bouquet of Bullshit"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why would they not have a machinist make new parts from virgin stock? :psyduck:

e: I hope they take it to a different machinist to refurbish in a few years and I wish I could see the look on their face.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Nov 4, 2018

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Platystemon posted:

Why would they not have a machinist make new parts from virgin stock? :psyduck:

e: I hope they take it to a different machinist to refurbish in a few years and I wish I could see the look on their face.

Probably cos 12" diameter drops of ductile Iron would wind up being hideously expensive- and Keith isnt really set up for machining down massive pieces of material with his lathes- Watch Abom79 do that at his work and he makes a huge 20HP lathe bog down and earn its supper doing work on huge industrial gearbox components.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I'm the two conservative holes with broken off bit tips.