Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

grack posted:

And failed miserably! The lesson here is don't try.

Seriously though, I hate this mission. It's okay the first time through but a stupid chore in subsequent playthroughs.

too bad you can't install a skip the fade mod in Mass Effect like you can in Dragon Age! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Psion posted:

too bad you can't install a skip the fade mod in Mass Effect like you can in Dragon Age! :v:

I still don't understand why people hate that segment so much. I've played through the game a bunch of times and it's never bothered me :shrug:

When I played this mission I tried to get rid of all the orange I could because I was crazy. Which might be why it's even more insufferable to me now.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I always find this mission cathartic, you don't have to worry about getting shot to poo poo and you get some fun exposition while you put out fires

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I'm suprised there wasn't a scare right before the end where Legion says "hurry shepard commander", I expected a virtual reaper to show up in the server and it's chasing you. Yes Legion is in control of the server but there is only so much he can do against an actual reaper thats SSHed into the server or whatever and legion is rushing to get you out because the only way he has to stop the reaper is to shut down the server. It would add on to the "the reapers really REALLY want you dead".

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
The design of this mission is so bad I'd almost rather have a Towers of Hanoi puzzle.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Better than a goddamn remnant decryption puzzle

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Halleluja Koris

We go pick up the one non-crazy Admiral, I die to targeting issues, and we have multiple turret sections. Other than that the mission is decent, though it could have maybe used a little more interaction. Like we can do short-range communication with Koris and get some conversation and convince him it's better to come along than just a P/R thing at the end. If you want the best outcome it's pretty much required you go get him.

Next up: concluding this plotline!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I like the fact that there were clearly spots closer to the AA guns where Cortez could've dropped you off and he's like "Nah, this looks good." *kick*

Also, at this point in the trilogy I think it's safe to assume that the natural state of the Quarians is "Bloody smear on the ground".

Sair
May 11, 2007

It's not really clear how they even lived this long.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The last three or four episodes in a nutshell

Shep: Pull back and save yourselves!
Quarians: nah, if we pull back we cant murder ourselves/you.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

grack posted:

I like the fact that there were clearly spots closer to the AA guns where Cortez could've dropped you off and he's like "Nah, this looks good." *kick*

Also, at this point in the trilogy I think it's safe to assume that the natural state of the Quarians is "Bloody smear on the ground".

That was their natural state in Mass Effect 2 also.

It's actually kind of mindblowing just how absurdly awful the Quarians are at fighting, even with the built in limitations of their immune systems/suits. Tali and (kinda sorta) Kal'Reegar are among the only Quarians you encounter during the run of the trilogy that can kinda fight and don't get like, totally wrecked when they're around Shepard*. And even Tali can go down pretty brutally in ME2 and 3 if you make a bunch of wrong choices

*I mean during like a combat mission, of course.

Durandal1707 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 1, 2018

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Current theory: Zaeed took exclusively Quarian squad mates on missions. That's why he's always the only one to survive.

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011

Sair posted:

It's not really clear how they even lived this long.

Literaly the only reason the geth hadn't killed them off centuries ago is because they didn't even want to fight them. They could have easily killed all of quarian civilization very, very easily.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I can't believe they gave you a multiple turret section and didn't even finish it off by letting you use one of the huge ack ack gun turrets to bring down the jamming tower.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Takezio posted:

Literaly the only reason the geth hadn't killed them off centuries ago is because they didn't even want to fight them. They could have easily killed all of quarian civilization very, very easily.
So in a way Geth are evil and responsible for a lot of suffering across the galaxy? :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I can't believe they gave you a multiple turret section and didn't even finish it off by letting you use one of the huge ack ack gun turrets to bring down the jamming tower.
I'm convinced turret sections are designed to pad out gameplay in the least-satisfying way possible. Actually blowing something up in a big way would ruin it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

SubponticatePoster posted:

I'm convinced turret sections are designed to pad out gameplay in the least-satisfying way possible. Actually blowing something up in a big way would ruin it.

that's what they end up as almost every time, yeah. They're really hard to get right and incredibly easy to get wrong - like there's a lot of effort that goes into making a good sequence and about ten times as many ways to make a small mistake which ruins the whole thing.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
The most pointless turret section in the entire game is the one on Earth, right before Liara's goodbye scene. That one is really dumb. I don't mind the ones in the Koris mission half as much by comparison.

Durandal1707 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 2, 2018

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Durandal1707 posted:

The most pointless turret section in the entire game is the one on Earth, right before Liara's goodbye scene. That one is really dumb. I don't mind the ones in the Koris mission half as much by comparison.
I don´t know, I´d say that the most pointless one is at the very end of Rannoch.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Yeah, that one is really dumb too. IIRC, there was going to be a lot more to escaping the Rannoch reaper base but they cut out most of it. That mission has two of the coolest set pieces in the game though so it's kinda easy to overlook.

.. y'know, this thread and sub's playthrough in general has sorta made me realize that I enjoyed most of this part of the game for Tali's characterization and the setpieces in that base mission and on the Dreadnought. Otherwise, I kinda feel like they could've done so much more with the Geth/Quarian conflict - I understand they were probably strapped for time writing wise, but as-presented I think it's too cut 'n dry, especially with how the Quarians are mostly presented as being brutal and entirely incompetent. This is admittedly kinda consistent with ME2, but 3 feels like it doubles down on it so much that you almost wonder how the Quarians even remember to breathe half the time.

I've had something along those lines rattling around in my head for a few days so I thought it might be worth bringing up in the meantime.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

A good turret section is to briefly allow the player all the power of a god, destroying everything before them in righteous rage. It should be a highlight you work towards. A reward.

A bad turret section, is to plink away at a trickle of scrub tier enemies before someone else comes along and blows up the mission objective for you while you just stand there like a goober.

Way to go, Mass Effect.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Everyone is bringing up good points about the Quarian's constant gently caress-ups, but I still like them and want them to have their homeworld again

Or at least let Tali build her house there

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

A lot of the turret sections in this game autocomplete and you don't even have to do anything. :ssh:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

Everyone is bringing up good points about the Quarian's constant gently caress-ups, but I still like them and want them to have their homeworld again

Or at least let Tali build her house there

The Quarians are just going to find a different way to kill themselves off in a year anyways.

grack fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 4, 2018

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
I hope you end up picking the Renegade option.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The Bold Kobold posted:

I hope you end up picking the Renegade option.
IMO that's the only option.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

grack posted:

The Quarians are just going to find a different way to kill themselves off in a year anyways.

"We found this green monolith thing buried underground. The Geth are afraid of it, but we're gonna study it. What could possibly go wro-*cue Necrons waking up and killing everyone*"

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
More like 300 beers in the making

We go land on Rannoch again to put an end to all this bullshit. Legion got Reaper herpes after being strapped into that contraption, but they're useful herpes apparently. Lots of robit shooting ensues.

After some minor difficulty in finding the right butan to pres, we target the override signal and fall off a platform because Shep is :downs: Turns out the signal source is actually a fuckin' Reaper, oops. He's a bit testy that we shot him and gets out of his bed to chase us. Then we have to fight him on foot. Sort of. In one of the more gimmicky boss battles you have to hit him with the targeting laser and the fleet in space shoots him while you run around like an idiot and try not to get your rear end melted off. The targeting laser is slow as poo poo, and because we're playing on insanity it takes longer to target and we have to shoot him more. It goes from "intense" to "oh hurry the gently caress up for Christ's sake" pretty quick.

Once you've blown the fleet's load all over his face then you get to have a nice chat. This part is kind of cool but also completely stupid. "Harbinger speaks of you." I guess the Reapers just chill out around the water cooler or whatevs talking poo poo about Shepard. I didn't take the exposition tree because then you miss out on getting to tell the Reaper to go gently caress itself. If you do take it then he just babbles on about boring poo poo and finally dies. This is way more fun.

Then it's time to choose the Quarians or Geth. Or if you're a completionist like I am, you may be able to save both. It's another points system, and you need a minimum of 5 to make it all work out. Destroying the Heretics in ME2 gets you 2 points. We overwrote them, so that's actually the wrong choice for metagaming. Keeping Tali from getting exiled and not narcing out her dad also gets you 2. Then you get 1 point each for fixing their argument in ME2, doing the mission to save Koris, and then actually saving Koris so we just squeaked by. In addition both Tali and Legion have to be alive, you have to have at least 4 bars of reputation, and you have to do the server mission on Rannoch. It's actually kind of complicated, but I never had trouble. If you hosed up somewhere, then you either have to kill Legion to stop him from uploading, or you let the Geth blow the Quarians into cosmic dust and Tali then jumps off a cliff. It's one of the more :psyduck: endings. I do like the Renegade option where Shep stating she will no longer pull the Quarians' asses out of the fire seems to knock some sense into them.

Visiting the Asari councilor kicks off the next plot beat, so we'll go screwing around for a bit first. I can also do one of the DLC's. I'll only do the first part of Citadel though, the party is our actual endgame.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I’m always fascinated by where people decide to do what parts to Citadel in their playtroughs. I always treated the whole thing as an epilogue to the entire trilogy. One giant wacky self-contained adventure as Shep and co. get back to a “normal” life on the other side of dealing with the Reapers and Cerberus. But that’s just me.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I'm pretty sure the Mass Effect Happy Ending Mod automatically starts the Citadel dlc after the ending so it's a 'real' epilogue

Or there's a mod that will start the dlc after the ending

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SgtSteel91 posted:

I'm pretty sure the Mass Effect Happy Ending Mod automatically starts the Citadel dlc after the ending so it's a 'real' epilogue

Or there's a mod that will start the dlc after the ending

It’s literally called the Citadel Epilogue Mod, yeah. It has an expansion makes it fit with the HEM too. But yeah, it treats Citadel as the final bit of story content for Mass Effect 3 period and actually goes in and edits out all the lines about still being at war Cerberus and the Reapers so it really makes it feel like everything is sewn up and done.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

If you hosed up somewhere, then you either have to kill Legion to stop him from uploading, or you let the Geth blow the Quarians into cosmic dust and Tali then jumps off a cliff. It's one of the more :psyduck: endings.

If you get Tali killed in ME2 you're accompanied by Admiral Rana in the sections where Tali is mandatory. Mostly by radio, but she does hang around in the background for the final Rannoch mission. She doesn't say or do anything particularly interesting that Tali's wouldn't, but instead of jumping off a cliff after the Quarian mass suicide, she pulls a gun and blows her own brains out. It's a bit more intense than the Tali version.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

If you get Tali killed in ME2 you're accompanied by Admiral Rana in the sections where Tali is mandatory. Mostly by radio, but she does hang around in the background for the final Rannoch mission. She doesn't say or do anything particularly interesting that Tali's wouldn't, but instead of jumping off a cliff after the Quarian mass suicide, she pulls a gun and blows her own brains out. It's a bit more intense than the Tali version.
And if you sold Legion to Cerberus his replacement is a Geth VI. Cuz that makes sense.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
A Geth VI that looks exactly like legion and whom Shepherd constantly calls legion, even if Shepherd never even activated him. Iirc.

Malah
May 18, 2015

I lucked into the Best Outcome and freely admit I teared up at Legion's sacrifice. It's a drat good cutscene.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Tali's suicide scene, to me at least, is one of the few scenes in the entire trilogy that makes me feel incredibly uncomfortable even thinking about it. In particular, she does this shudder/choke sob sound before she jumps that's just.. yeah. It's hard to sit through and it's even harder talking to the Normandy crew after that. (Garrus and Ashley, if she's alive by this point, take it really hard) Raan's is unfortunately kind of lacking by comparison, I think - mostly 'cause they whiffed on the sound effect of when she does kill herself and so the impact isn't really there as much. Legion's sacrifice either way is one of the more powerful scenes in the trilogy, I think.

It's kind of a pat ending but ultimately i'm glad the peace option exists. Though it's funny how much it openly contradicts the ending, but, well... that's a ways off.

Kurieg posted:

A Geth VI that looks exactly like legion and whom Shepherd constantly calls legion, even if Shepherd never even activated him. Iirc.

The Geth VI replacement for Legion is mindbogglingly lazy, especially when you consider the effort Bioware put into the replacements for some of the other ME2 characters if they bit it in that game. Doesn't help that he basically acts exactly like Legion but slightly more of a bastard. It makes sense for people who were new to the series - IIRC, a ME3 cold start has it set up where Tali survived ME2 but was exiled and Legion was never activated in the first place - but it feels like another instance of the game where they could've put more effort into making it at least a somewhat distinct character. Or, probably the more simple solution, just set it up to where Legion was activated and survived ME2 to start with.

nine-gear crow posted:

I’m always fascinated by where people decide to do what parts to Citadel in their playtroughs. I always treated the whole thing as an epilogue to the entire trilogy. One giant wacky self-contained adventure as Shep and co. get back to a “normal” life on the other side of dealing with the Reapers and Cerberus. But that’s just me.
Tbh, i've always treated it like an epilogue of sorts to the series as well. In the context of ME3, it doesn't really make a lot of sense that Shepard and co. would all have a party in the midst of the Reaper war, and the writing for it is naturally much more good natured and intentionally fun than ME3's ultra apocalyptic tone. Probably doesn't help that I always did that whole DLC right before going and attacking the Cerberus base. :v:

.. y'know, i've never done the Citadel Ending Mod or any of the other ending mods for ME3 at all. I'll have to give them a try.

Durandal1707 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 15, 2018

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I mean, you don't really need a mod to do that. After the credits that's where the game puts you anyways.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

I mean, you don't really need a mod to do that. After the credits that's where the game puts you anyways.

Yeah, the mod's just there for the sake of immersion's sake, scrubbing Citadel of any references that imply it's taking place during ME3 rather than after it. The Happy Ending Mod is a little hamhanded in small places, but it does it's job rather well.

Also the Priority Earth Overhaul mod finally got it's Nexus-induced legal bullshit resolved a few weeks ago. If you can, it's worth checking out too.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
The Citadel DLC was already very light on references to the war (except the part where Anderson calls you from the ongoing techno-genocide that is Earth to give you the keys to his sweet pad, lol) and the tone is basically like ... an apology? I read it as "hey, sorry, we're not gonna change the ending but if you wanna pretend this is the real ending we're gonna make it easy for you"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
just an aside: I found out the most recent Mass Effect novel (about the quarian ark in Andromeda) was released about a week ago and went to the Mass Effect wiki to read up on it ... and it's just got the plot summary from the back of the novel

then I went to see if the wiki entries for the characters from Andromeda were as bare-bones as I remember and yep, they totally are

the worst sign for a sci-fi series is when the wiki obsessives stop giving a poo poo