Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

site posted:

i finished the new frontier the other day, and it was so good, so i decided to watch the animated version and it's weird to watch this story played out entirely by choosing a scene here and a scene there with hardly any surrounding context. It feels incredibly disjointed and i'd be curious if you haven't read the book first if it would be coherent at all

Saw the movie almost a decade before I ever got around to reading the comic, and while the comic is overall superior the cartoon version is still pretty good, not to mention does at least one thing superior to the comic, having Batman be involved in the battle against The Centre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I remember it being decent.

The second part of the Death of Superman thing is coming out, The Reign of the Supermen. It looks to be decently animated but its from such a schlocky storyline.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ccs posted:

I remember it being decent.

The second part of the Death of Superman thing is coming out, The Reign of the Supermen. It looks to be decently animated but its from such a schlocky storyline.

There were fun bits in the original, though I bet they cut the Bill Clinton cameo, or change it to a generic "president."

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

site posted:

i finished the new frontier the other day, and it was so good, so i decided to watch the animated version and it's weird to watch this story played out entirely by choosing a scene here and a scene there with hardly any surrounding context. It feels incredibly disjointed and i'd be curious if you haven't read the book first if it would be coherent at all

I remember finding the animated movie very disjointed and unsatisfying despite some cool individual scenes.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwDIZT3XbjQ

I will now take a guess at the plot:

"The OG Teen Titans meet the TTG team and think they're total losers who don't take anything seriously. The TTG team proceeds to show them they're actually totally awesome and get the old Titans to admit they're totally cool."

it will be totally different from the other half dozen times they've done a variation on this story, including the movie they just made.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

For as much as the TTG people claim not to care what older fans think (and they shouldn't, TTG is a different animal), they sure do come off defensive sometimes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Man I don't even want to see the YouTube comments on that

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite episode of original Teen Titans was either the one where the evil stage magician turned them all into animals or the one where the Mad Mod turns their city into a pop art Beatlemania world.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'm pretty sure the TTG people actually like the original Teen Titans and are just needling at the fans who think their new, pretty good, show is a sin upon God's earth for not being the same as the old show. Like, they have obvious affection for the stuff they're riffing on.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was under the impressions it was mostly the same guys anyway.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No, they don’t share any significant creative staff beyond the voice actors.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 25, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

My favourite episode of original Teen Titans was either the one where the evil stage magician turned them all into animals or the one where the Mad Mod turns their city into a pop art Beatlemania world.

I like people forget they had actual changes in theme song to signal 'this episode is going to be wacky.'

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
IIRC episodes with the English OP were serious, and ones with the Japanese were goofy, right?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Episodes with English OP were *serious, episodes with English OP were goofy, and episodes with the Japanese OP were extra zany.

*a few times per season

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
A decade after watching anything teen titans related and I still can perfectly recall the pretty decent theme song

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Episodes with English OP were *serious, episodes with English OP were goofy, and episodes with the Japanese OP were extra zany.

*a few times per season

Yeah. If we're being honest, stuff like their version of the Judas Contract or the Terror of Trigon were few and far between.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

So fun fact: Teen Titans Go! To The Movies and Into The Spiderverse are both on the long list for Animated Best Picture.

https://twitter.com/TheAcademy/status/1055128313205731328

I really hope they both get nominated. :allears:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Spider-verse needs to get some acknowledgment for at least the impressive integration of Comic Book and Animated Movie stylization.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

This is a minor thing and I'm sure I'll get over it, but from the trailers for Spider-verse, I don't care for Peter's voice. It's a little too TJ-Miller-y (I know he's not the VA); just not how I expect him to sound. There's my random gripe for a movie which I will see regardless.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ZDar Fan posted:

This is a minor thing and I'm sure I'll get over it, but from the trailers for Spider-verse, I don't care for Peter's voice. It's a little too TJ-Miller-y (I know he's not the VA); just not how I expect him to sound. There's my random gripe for a movie which I will see regardless.

He's a new yorker, of course he's gonna sound like a scumbag

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ZDar Fan posted:

It's Nick from The New Girl, and I think it's perfect.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

My only problem with Peter's voice, and it's not really, is I keep trying to mentally match it up with his voice from the game and there Yuri Lowenthal knocked it out of the park. It'll be fine.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ZDar Fan posted:

I know how I expect him to sound.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

This clip gets posted a lot and I laugh my rear end off every goddamn time

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Has there ever been an incarnation of Spider-Man that actually had a NYC accent?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

SlothfulCobra posted:

Has there ever been an incarnation of Spider-Man that actually had a NYC accent?

There isn't a singular NYC accent IRL and he's not portrayed as having a particular strong ethnic background (which is where the stereotypical accents come from.)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Andrew Garfield gave him a hilarious gruff Queens accent in the Amazing Spider-man movies

Vakal
May 11, 2008

ZDar Fan posted:

This clip gets posted a lot and I laugh my rear end off every goddamn time

It cuts off before the best part though.

"THE CHEQUES IN THE MAIL, BABY!"

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Came across someone on Twitter credited as the Supervising Director on an Invincible animated show:

https://twitter.com/chriscopelandrt/status/1042811776927055873

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Can't wait for the episode where Invincible gets violently raped.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Waiting for them to do the same thing they did with TWD and just "fix" everything Kirkman didn't like.

Which doesn't get my hopes up, because I could not stand TWD after 3 episodes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I just don't understand how people are still trying to adapt that comic. Like, for the first 6 issues it seemed like it was Spider-man for the new generation, and everyone wanted a piece of it, then a planetary genocide happened with guts flying everywhere, and it only got more unmarketable from there.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Because people like it and don’t have your hang ups I would guess

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Invincible was fine after that event. The real problem is that it went on for way too long, so it got really stupid and bad. It can probably be good for 2 seasons, and maybe even 3.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I just don't understand how people are still trying to adapt that comic. Like, for the first 6 issues it seemed like it was Spider-man for the new generation, and everyone wanted a piece of it, then a planetary genocide happened with guts flying everywhere, and it only got more unmarketable from there.

I think we're at a place in pop culture where it wouldn't be a huge issue. They could just tone down the violence a bit. A ton of anime marketed as Netflix Originals has horrific violence along with fun shennanigans.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
And actually having crazy violence in the original allows it to not look like hamfisted "grittiness" to make it more "mature".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because people like it and don’t have your hang ups I would guess

My only hang-up is that I think Kirkman's a poo poo writer. But it's nice to know that BSS posters still can't express an opinion without an idiot trying to diagnose them with something.

Ccs posted:

I think we're at a place in pop culture where it wouldn't be a huge issue. They could just tone down the violence a bit. A ton of anime marketed as Netflix Originals has horrific violence along with fun shennanigans.

Yeah, I guess the pop culture landscape has changed quite a bit since the comic originally came out, got all those people sniffing around for licensing, then scared everyone off once they realized what the comic was actually about.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, I guess the pop culture landscape has changed quite a bit since the comic originally came out, got all those people sniffing around for licensing, then scared everyone off once they realized what the comic was actually about.

I think its more to do with the fact that content producers still see non-comedy animation as strictly for kids in the west. Thankfully, it seems like this is very slowly no longer being the case.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lurdiak posted:

My only hang-up is that I think Kirkman's a poo poo writer. But it's nice to know that BSS posters still can't express an opinion without an idiot trying to diagnose them with something.

I didn’t diagnose you with anything, you seemed to want a Peter Parker type poo poo and can’t let go that it wasn’t that. Which is literally what you said.

But be pissy if it makes you feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think its more to do with the fact that content producers still see non-comedy animation as strictly for kids in the west. Thankfully, it seems like this is very slowly no longer being the case.

People that grew up with Anime like Gundam Wing and DBZ, and cartoons like BTAS and Samurai Jack are now in their late twenties or thirties, so we have an entire generation that now sees animation as something that can tell meaningful stories.