Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm a little surprised no one has suggested Robocop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone have recommendations for STEM toys for an almost-3 year old?

I'm that annoying uncle who has been slowly convincing my brother and mom to move my niece away from pink homemmaking toys and playsets over the past year and I'm starting to think about Christmas. It's been going pretty well, she's been really into doctors and airplanes recently, so I was thinking indulge those a bit and maybe also get her a little laboratory set that she can use her doctors coat in as well.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

If you haven't seen Boy, seriously do that, and City of God is also miraculous.

Not a movie, but Netflix's The OA is about as perfect a series you can get. Season 2 is taking forever.

feedmyleg posted:

I'm that annoying uncle who has been slowly convincing my brother and mom to move my niece away from pink homemmaking toys and playsets over the past year and I'm starting to think about Christmas. It's been going pretty well, she's been really into doctors and airplanes recently, so I was thinking indulge those a bit and maybe also get her a little laboratory set that she can use her doctors coat in as well.

As a shareholder, I must inform you of Nintendo's LABO initiative. Also doc McStuffins.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

feedmyleg posted:

Uhm, Lego?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm a little surprised no one has suggested Robocop.

I was going to say that as well but I didn't want it to seem like I was just listing my favorite movies or something.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

YTOTD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4TPU8xtekw

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Oh so I saw Beautiful Boy last night. I think the soundtrack pushed it from my “okay” to “good.”

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Closest I have to a “perfect movie” is The Thing. I don’t really like categorizing film like that.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Friends Are Evil posted:

Closest I have to a “perfect movie” is The Thing. I don’t really like categorizing film like that.

If you think about it we really don't need any other movies to exist besides Blade.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's clearly Die Hard.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

CPL593H posted:

If you think about it we really don't need any other movies to exist besides Blade.

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

If there is indeed a difference between a perfect and a favourite film, the much more interesting question would be: Which film do you consider perfect but don't actually like?

Vargo posted:

Do you have a Star Wars DVD available? There's THX picture and sound calibration tests built into the special features that make those granular adjustments easy, and I use those standards for my default film settings.

I do actually, so that should work. Thanks.

Egbert Souse posted:

I use my Apple TV and iPhone with the THX Optimizer app. You can point the camera at the screen for adjustments that it shows live.

The future is now, huh.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

If there is indeed a difference between a perfect and a favourite film, the much more interesting question would be: Which film do you consider perfect but don't actually like?

Probably Godfather.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Samuel Clemens posted:

Most of Tarantino’s or Fincher’s filmography.

I guess Baby Driver, too.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 4, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

Kubrick's Sparticus is perfect, but it's the last of his I'd revisit.

I've heard a lot of people say The Master is perfect but they hate it. I love that movie, though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CPL593H posted:

There's seven basic plots:
1. Rags to riches – a steady rise from bad to good fortune

2. Riches to rags – a fall from good to bad, a tragedy

3. Icarus – a rise then a fall in fortune

4. Oedipus – a fall, a rise then a fall again

5. Cinderella – rise, fall, rise

6. Man in a hole – fall, rise

7. Daywalker – a killing of all vampires while wearing sunglasses

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Just started The Norsemen on Netflix and it's a hard recommend. It's Norwegian holy Grail, so dry humor but absolutely brutal in parts.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I'm not afraid to say it: Scandinavian humor is garbage

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm not saying white people can't be funny, but I do think they need to meet someone who isn't white first.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

Probably Alien

Though "dislike" is a bit strong. It's a movie that I can find no fault with at all other than it mysteriously doesn't grab me for reasons I've never been able to explain. It leads to the weird thing that while I think Alien is objectively the far superior film by all metrics, I still enjoy Prometheus more.

On the other hand I do consider Aliens to be pretty much perfect and love the hell out of it.

Also Stalker. I can't fault it but I just found it a bit dull.

Can't think of one I outright dislike though.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Skwirl posted:

I'm not saying white people can't be funny, but I do think they need to meet someone who isn't white first.

What about white Jews? They seem to hold their own comedically.

Wheat Loaf posted:

A couple I think of as basically perfect:

Sleuth

I haven't seen Sleuth in ages, that might be my favorite movie to spring on friends willing to humor me

precision posted:

Oh, good call. That'd make my list, though probably only the director's cut.

Is there a version without the voiceover but also without the replicant implications? That's the version I'd like the most

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Adlai Stevenson posted:

What about white Jews? They seem to hold their own comedically.

I'm not sure how close of attention you are paying attention to modern politics but I don't think Jews are feeling particularly white at the moment, at least in America.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I haven't seen Sleuth in ages, that might be my favorite movie to spring on friends willing to humor me

I recently learned there's a remake with Michael Caine in the Laurence Olivier role and Jude Law in the Michael Caine role. I haven't seen it, though, because I don't think there's likely to be much point because the original version, as I said, is basically perfect.

Another movie that's nearly perfect, from the same screenwriter, also with a lesser remake: The Wicker Man.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If you can't laugh at Songs from the Second Floor, I question your sense of humour.

Friends Are Evil posted:

Most of Tarantino’s or Fincher’s filmography.

See, that just makes me wonder what your definition of perfect is, because to me, Tarantino is a prime example of a flawed director whose best work succeeds in spite of his more annoying traits.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I'm not sure how close of attention you are paying attention to modern politics but I don't think Jews are feeling particularly white at the moment, at least in America.

sad but fair

Wheat Loaf posted:

I recently learned there's a remake with Michael Caine in the Laurence Olivier role and Jude Law in the Michael Caine role. I haven't seen it, though, because I don't think there's likely to be much point because the original version, as I said, is basically perfect.

Another movie that's nearly perfect, from the same screenwriter, also with a lesser remake: The Wicker Man.

I think the kindest word I heard about the Sleuth remake was "unnecessary"

Also Wicker Man was by the same person? I should really stop putting that one off and just watch it

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

YTOTD feat: Ray Winstone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCxHvNl9MmQ

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Also Wicker Man was by the same person? I should really stop putting that one off and just watch it

Yeah, Anthony Shaffer wrote them both. Sleuth was adapted from his own stage play. He was also an uncredited co-writer on the Sidney Lumet version of Murder On the Orient Express and subsequently wrote the first two Peter Ustinov Poirot movies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's a little bit sad that Nick Cave was dying his hair that close to the end of his life.
I literally though Nick Cave was dead, but apparently that's not true. He's still too old to be dyeing his hair.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, Anthony Shaffer wrote them both. Sleuth was adapted from his own stage play. He was also an uncredited co-writer on the Sidney Lumet version of Murder On the Orient Express and subsequently wrote the first two Peter Ustinov Poirot movies.

Well now I feel even sillier for missing out, be back in a bit

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skwirl posted:

It's a little bit sad that Nick Cave was dying his hair that close to the end of his life.
I literally though Nick Cave was dead, but apparently that's not true. He's still too old to be dyeing his hair.

No, Nick is in a period of gradually ramping up his touring following his son literally falling off a cliff during a bad trip, and also dealing with the recent death of longtime keyboardist / pianist Conway Savage.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

He was also an uncredited co-writer on the Sidney Lumet version of Murder On the Orient Express and subsequently wrote the first two Peter Ustinov Poirot movies.

Evil Under the Sun is a seriously underrated mystery film. It's pretty much the platonic ideal of the "someone was murdered in an enclosed location and everyone present is a suspect" concept.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Skwirl posted:

Thanks for devastating me for five seconds there.

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017

CPL593H posted:

I was going to say that as well but I didn't want it to seem like I was just listing my favorite movies or something.

I just rewatched RoboCop last night, and I gotta say that that movie doesn't miss a single trick. It is so tight.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

So Def Jam records social media intern is writing as hell of a thread.
https://twitter.com/defjam/status/1059118004435406849

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

The basic hook of The Norsemen is that the characters are all vikings and thus murderers, rapists, and slavers, but they're written as insufferable modern middle-class types. The whole idea is basically to skewer white people.

They also filmed the English version simultaneously with the original, so the actors are performing with their natural cheeping, slurring accents, which really drives it home.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The basic hook of The Norsemen is that the characters are all vikings and thus murderers, rapists, and slavers, but they're written as insufferable modern middle-class types. The whole idea is basically to skewer white people.

They also filmed the English version simultaneously with the original, so the actors are performing with their natural cheeping, slurring accents, which really drives it home.

I can't tell if this is an endorsement or a warning.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

It's really good. At least watch the first episode. The second one dealing with the husband not being able to get hard without raping and pillaging is real good too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

It's really good. At least watch the first episode. The second one dealing with the husband not being able to get hard without raping and pillaging is real good too.

You're just loving with me at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

A Pigeon Sat On A Branch Reflecting On Existence is like a filmed version of The Far Side