Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
However, please note that war loving sucks and almost anything is preferable over that. Americans never had a war on their soil in living memory, so people just can't fathom how bad it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Honj Steak posted:

However, please note that war loving sucks and almost anything is preferable over that. Americans never had a war on their soil in living memory, so people just can't fathom how bad it is.

The vast majority of Americans have not been alive for a war in which the USA was the good guys.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Honj Steak posted:

Two days ago this glazed ham that works at a Verizon store in West Virginia was on Facebook talking about how he's going to be fighting in the second civil war and I laughed my taint off.

These doughy twits that have only ever lived in a strip mall and been catered to by underpaid employees REALLY don't understand how war works at all.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Dickbutt Ouroboros posted:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=nuclear+bomb+unnecessary

Quotes from generals, atomic scientists, and excerpts from Truman's own diaries in these 3 I picked at random. I thought this was common knowledge for anyone that wasn't a broke-brained chud. Scholarly sources aren't hard to come by either if you want those. It's not like this is a fringe topic in conspiracy subq goes into Truman being a piece of poo poo as detailed by his own diaries

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/daily-southtown/opinion/ct-sta-kirstein-bomb-st-0806-20150805-story.html

https://www.thenation.com/article/why-the-us-really-bombed-hiroshima/

This is offtopic so I'll say this and let it stand: it's not at all a fringe view, it's a very common view among, e.g. redditors who think they're a lot cleverer than they are, and who have no real knowledge of the subject. The idea that Japan was "in the process of surrendering" is false, full stop. Certain members of the supreme leadership were coming around to the idea; this we know from intercepts. But that's as far as it went. Given the ongoing mass atrocities the IJA was committing in occupied China and elsewhere, giving the Imperial council a push to move them from a minority saying "we should surrender, with conditions" to the emperor accepting Potsdam was absolutely justifiable.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Goddamn

https://mobile.twitter.com/jkramon1313/status/1059102436714074112

https://youtu.be/gZGmnXiZYGA

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=nuclear+bomb+unnecessary

Quotes from generals, atomic scientists, and excerpts from Truman's own diaries in these 3 I picked at random. I thought this was common knowledge for anyone that wasn't a broke-brained chud. Scholarly sources aren't hard to come by either if you want those. It's not like this is a fringe topic in conspiracy subreddits as you suggest. It's been widely written about for decades, now.

https://www.nytimes.com/1988/10/29/opinion/l-a-bombing-of-japan-was-unnecessary-393488.html ------> this one from 1988 goes into Truman being a piece of poo poo as detailed by his own diaries

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/daily-southtown/opinion/ct-sta-kirstein-bomb-st-0806-20150805-story.html

https://www.thenation.com/article/why-the-us-really-bombed-hiroshima/

Lookit this fuckin' nerd posing as the worlds dumbest historian.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

This is offtopic so I'll say this and let it stand: it's not at all a fringe view, it's a very common view among, e.g. redditors who think they're a lot cleverer than they are, and who have no real knowledge of the subject. The idea that Japan was "in the process of surrendering" is false, full stop. Certain members of the supreme leadership were coming around to the idea; this we know from intercepts. But that's as far as it went. Given the ongoing mass atrocities the IJA was committing in occupied China and elsewhere, giving the Imperial council a push to move them from a minority saying "we should surrender, with conditions" to the emperor accepting Potsdam was absolutely justifiable.

This is accurate.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
People don't realize Japan was doing atrocities at scale bc the Nazis got all the press

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Two days ago this glazed ham that works at a Verizon store in West Virginia was on Facebook talking about how he's going to be fighting in the second civil war and I laughed my taint off.

These doughy twits that have only ever lived in a strip mall and been catered to by underpaid employees REALLY don't understand how war works at all.

this is very much like the discussion in "in bruges"

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

What could possibly go wrong.

:aaa:

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
Since when has the lolthread become the sadbrains death cult central ?

honest question, please speak about what exactly made you break down into misery machines

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

This is the closest we're ever going to get to a Libertarian admitting that the things they believe in lead to the things they claim to not want.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

skipThings posted:

honest question, please speak about what exactly made you break down into misery machines

TROMP!!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Truman was a huge piece of poo poo that pretty much kicked off the cold war singlehandedly.

Even Roosevelt didn't trust his VP lol. He didn't tell him jack poo poo about the Manhattan Project, for example. It's pretty amazing that Truman went from not knowing about it to nuking the poo poo out of Japanese cities in five months. It's a really good thing noted rear end in a top hat MacArthur didn't like Truman either or he might have listened to Mac's insane ideas during the Korean War a bit more.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

at this point reality is basically just ripping this incredible movie off:

https://youtu.be/SCDfQmCGteA

Heffer
May 1, 2003

skipThings posted:

Since January 20th,, 2017

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.af339b3f32e4

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

skipThings posted:

I'm still loling every day. Anyone who can't howl their balls into orbit while gazing into the abyss is a fuckin' loser.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/1059170935092199424

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

skipThings posted:

lol look at this dude with no awareness of the state of the world or current events

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

skipThings posted:

It has always been sadbrains death cult central

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/746803108949409793

Dickbutt Ouroboros
Nov 13, 2002

handbandit?
Son of a bitch!

shovelbum posted:

People don't realize Japan was doing atrocities at scale bc the Nazis got all the press

No, they were doing terrifying things. That's no question. I'm arguing the use of nuclear weapons was not "cool and good" and the entire justification (which I'm not sure one exists for using nuclear weapons) was just bullshit dick-waving. It was a loving dumbass move by a lovely president that set the tone for the US's post-WW2 foreign policy of "Do what we say or else" that still stands to this day. Then we wonder why a huge portion of the world hates us?

Someone earlier said that we haven't been the good guys since WW2 but I think this point, right here, at the end of WW2 where Truman made this decision against a lot of better advice marks the point that we crossed that line.

Dickbutt Ouroboros fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 4, 2018

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
https://twitter.com/andylassner/status/1058935006607761408?s=19

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

lmao

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

No, they were doing terrifying things. That's no question. I'm arguing the use of nuclear weapons was not "cool and good" and the entire justification (which I'm not sure one exists for using nuclear weapons) was just bullshit dick-waving. It was a loving dumbass move by a lovely president that set the tone for the US's post-WW2 foreign policy of "Do what we say or else" that still stands to this day. Then we wonder why a huge portion of the world hates us?

Someone earlier said that we haven't been the good guys since WW2 but I think this point, right here, at the end of WW2 where Truman made this decision against a lot of better advice marks the point that we crossed that line.

They were extremely good and prevented a full on land invasion that would have made D-Day look like a sideshow bagatelle. Any good or bad guy narrative is just the most facile poo poo. Remember, as already mentioned, half a million burned to death from regular old incendiary bombs in Dresden.

Dickbutt Ouroboros
Nov 13, 2002

handbandit?
Son of a bitch!

There we go!

Getting back to the LOL's and distracting me from this dumb country with its bad presidents is just what I needed.

E: goddammit

Dickbutt Ouroboros fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 4, 2018

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

The Protagonist posted:

Remember, as already mentioned, half a million burned to death from regular old incendiary bombs in Dresden.

Jesus Christ no they didn't that was a joke about how dumb redditors are because they constantly say poo poo like "Dresden was a cultural center and not a valid military target" and "a bajillion people died in the firebombings." Which is literal Nazi propaganda, like, from Goebbels mouth to your ears.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

hahaha oh my god

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Alternative takes on history is like conspiracy theory for people that consider themselves super smart

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

The Protagonist posted:

They were extremely good and prevented a full on land invasion that would have made D-Day look like a sideshow bagatelle. Any good or bad guy narrative is just the most facile poo poo. Remember, as already mentioned, half a million burned to death from regular old incendiary bombs in Dresden.

:chloe:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Are people seriously doing the "Dresden was a peaceful farm community for orphans and Japan was literally 4 seconds from surrendering" thing in this thread?

LMAO, let me guess the concentration camps were also family fun zones with beer gardens and movie nights and a water park?

loving retards.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

The Protagonist posted:

also the reason hiroshima and nagasaki were chosen as targets is they were just about the last two cities in japan that hadn’t already been extensively firebombed. the atomic bombings weren’t unique in the scale of their devastation and human suffering, they were just novel in it being done by a single bomb dropped by a flight of ten planes instead of a multi-day operation involving hundreds of planes and thousands of bombs

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/turing_police/status/1059179297150164992?s=19

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

quote:

That doesn’t put off Rachell Marks, 59, of Billings, Montana who said her love for Trump is unexplainable and would continue to back him.

“I have an infatuation and a love for this man that’s not normal,” Ms. Marks said. “I give the highest respect when people are telling the truth and giving their political power. If anything, I have a deeper respect now.”

:pusheen:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Overheard a bunch of old motherfuckers at my apartment complex talking about Trump yesterday while waiting for the elevator, one person says "I can't support him because he's always lying!" and the other person goes "Name one politician who doesn't lie! This man has done so much good for our country but nobody knows it because everybody's watching the fake news."

I didn't want to get into an argument with a group of geriatrics but really wanted to say "You know he won't truly be happy until you don't have free Medicare, right?". I also really loving hate the "Pfft, ALL polticians lie!" argument.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Are people seriously doing the "Dresden was a peaceful farm community for orphans and Japan was literally 4 seconds from surrendering" thing in this thread?

LMAO, let me guess the concentration camps were also family fun zones with beer gardens and movie nights and a water park?

loving retards.

my dad once told me that the Japanese surrendered but we a-bombed them anyways as a lesson

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Siljmonster posted:

my dad once told me that the Japanese surrendered but we a-bombed them anyways as a lesson

You should punch your dad in the dick during his wake.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

fishing with the fam posted:

You should punch your dad in the dick during his wake.

:hmmyes:

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

I gotta say, navy seal > firefighter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

mono posted:

I gotta say, navy seal > firefighter