Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
to be honest an rpg where backpack material is important is going to be too much of a slog to enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I don't know, I can see in Dungeon World 'note down on your character sheet where you're carrying this' being a good way to trigger Defy Danger when someone tries to root around in their backpack for something mid-fight. But tracking individual weight is not fun, agreed.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I find any game where carry limits were a thing just ended up with a lot of faff where the players would ferry items about or make stashes. It just slows everything down for no real good purpose.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Fans posted:

I find any game where carry limits were a thing just ended up with a lot of faff where the players would ferry items about or make stashes. It just slows everything down for no real good purpose.

Depends on what you're trying to do.

For AD&D's "how much loot can you extract from the dungeon while still carrying enough weapons, armour, and supplies to make it out alive", carry limits are kinda fiddly but also integral to the core gameplay.

Take the exact same ruleset but shift the actual game to epic fantasy storytelling, and carry limits are exactly what you said.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I feel like that kind of gameplay is something you should just play a video game if you really want to do it.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I could imagine an exploration game built almost entirely around inventory slots and carry limits that would actually be pretty fun, even as a table top. Something like a heavily elaborated version of FitD load. But the key is that then the inventory stuff is the game, in terms of core mechanics.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Give them a 16x16 grid, make all their loot tetris shapes and go full a Feast for Odin on them. (I'd play this)

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Hahaha, it would be like doing trooper load-outs in the old XCom games. "poo poo, I can carry this alien's corpse, but I'll have to ditch all of my spare rockets to do it."

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

kaffo posted:

Give them a 16x16 grid, make all their loot tetris shapes and go full a Feast for Odin on them. (I'd play this)

I unironically love loot Tetris and would lose my poo poo if I played a tabletop like that.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Ilor posted:

Hahaha, it would be like doing trooper load-outs in the old XCom games. "poo poo, I can carry this alien's corpse, but I'll have to ditch all of my spare rockets to do it."
Ah, the good old days

Also bonus points if you colour the shapes and put some simple restrictions on what can go where, also stolen from a Feast for Odin.
"Oh crap I can't have more than 1 red in my pack even though I have the space. Someone give me all their food so they can take this loot"

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

If you wanted to abstract it a little more, what if each player just got a standard 5x3 lined index card as their carrying capacity? You can only have one item per line on the card: small items like potions and coinpurses only take up one line while larger stuff like weapons, stowed armor, minotaur butts, etc. take up multiple lines on your card.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Malpais Legate posted:

I unironically love loot Tetris and would lose my poo poo if I played a tabletop like that.

I might just do this for my campaigns, It sounds great. Give players like a 10 x strength score grid. Make tetrisblocks out of everything. Maybe have things for full quivers and such.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Moose King posted:

If you wanted to abstract it a little more, what if each player just got a standard 5x3 lined index card as their carrying capacity? You can only have one item per line on the card: small items like potions and coinpurses only take up one line while larger stuff like weapons, stowed armor, minotaur butts, etc. take up multiple lines on your card.
There was an inventory system floating around a long ahile ago that was basically that. You got a few locations on your body to stow stuff, each had three slots, and I think any item just took up one slot. Armor would just block one or two locations entirely depending on weight, stuff like a bag of holding would take up a slot but give you a new location. I think the idea was to have a broad overview of where you had your stuff and maybe even be able to roll for "the arrow hits your backpack and shatters your potion", but it seemed like a fine system in its own right.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Kruller posted:

Does anyone have a link for an online or Android app that can assist me in creating a legendary item? I'm running the Tyranny of Dragons, and the party just finished Hoard of the Dragon Queen. The warlock decided to skin the dragon they managed to kill due to sheer loving luck, and he wants to make something with it. I'm thinking of cribbing the vestiges idea from Critical Role, having whatever gets crafted power up as he does/kills more dragons and adds to it/whatever, but since this is my first campaign I've ever run, I'm not so great with making stuff up like that.

I don't mind overpowered items in the hands of my party, either, because I can balance that out much more easily than I can invent stuff whole cloth.

Quoting myself because I think it got missed in encumbrance chat.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

My Lovely Horse posted:

There was an inventory system floating around a long ahile ago that was basically that. You got a few locations on your body to stow stuff, each had three slots, and I think any item just took up one slot. Armor would just block one or two locations entirely depending on weight, stuff like a bag of holding would take up a slot but give you a new location. I think the idea was to have a broad overview of where you had your stuff and maybe even be able to roll for "the arrow hits your backpack and shatters your potion", but it seemed like a fine system in its own right.

This what you're thinking of?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It is! Just like I remembered it, too. I really have to try it sometime.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
There's a good chance my players are gonna take on a job hunting down a pair of griffins who've been harassing the otherwise quiet hunting village they've stumbled into. Rather than just throwing them into a monster's lair, I'd like the session to revolve around tracking the beasts - searching for clues, exploring the countryside - culminating in a fight. Anyone have any experience running a hunt like this, or know any good resources for simulating this sort of thing?

I've thrown this sort of thing at other groups in the past, but always with the implicit understanding there's a specific hunting spot the monster always returns to, and can be counted on to appear; or, you know, the tried and true "Yo, there's a cave over yonder, check it out." This time I'd like the players to be the ones who have to figure out where to go and how to get there.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
I'm thinking of doing a small 5e campaign based on Lycanthropes, the premise being that after an encounter in a mad wizards zoo each character is bitten by an animal and will become a were-oneofthose! But to keep thinks interesting I was thinking of making them roll from a list of animals, so I don't know what one they will be initially tangling with.

With that in mind, whats the best way to prepare for that? I don't really wanna premake 100 animal stat blocks for only four to be used at random. Do any of you make up stats on the fly or should I use some base template with a bunch of attacks maybe with some labelled 'Flying types' (for things like bats or birds) 'beast types' (for claw attacks ala cats/dogs bears).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bad Seafood posted:

There's a good chance my players are gonna take on a job hunting down a pair of griffins who've been harassing the otherwise quiet hunting village they've stumbled into. Rather than just throwing them into a monster's lair, I'd like the session to revolve around tracking the beasts - searching for clues, exploring the countryside - culminating in a fight. Anyone have any experience running a hunt like this, or know any good resources for simulating this sort of thing?

I've thrown this sort of thing at other groups in the past, but always with the implicit understanding there's a specific hunting spot the monster always returns to, and can be counted on to appear; or, you know, the tried and true "Yo, there's a cave over yonder, check it out." This time I'd like the players to be the ones who have to figure out where to go and how to get there.

Crib stuff from witcher 3 if you've played that, a griffin hunt is one of the first missions in that. Have a reason it's there, know what it hunts, sketch out its behaviour.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I could use some advice.
So, I'm getting ready to run Waterdeep: Dragon Heist for my group.
With that in mind, what's a good way to judge the passage of time?

That, and what's a good rule of thumb for awarding Downtime? I've heard 5 days for every 2 hours played, but I also think that was in terms of Adventurer's League games, so I didn't know if maybe there was a better metric for it in homegames.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Anyone hear run the 5e Kobold Press "A Starry Breach" adventure? It's available for purchase on the FG Store, Kobold Press's Prepared 2 adventure. My part of three Level 3 dudes ran it (Tabaxi Rogue (Arcane Trickster 3), Lizardfolk Eagle Barb 3, Human Champion Fighter 3) and we definitely almost TPKed. One guy died outright, I only lived to beat the last encounter with a Nat 20 on the final locked up death saving throw. Anyone else have experience with it? Would it have been easier with a full caster or a cleric? Or more optimized dudes? Or is the module just a little harder then many. (We got point buy, standard array, or roll stats, starting equipment + 200 gold and one uncommon magic item and still struggled..)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hey guys, is there any easy to use nerd game mapping program that works kinda like google maps? I'd love something that didn't require any coding know-how and just let you upload a big map image and then drop placemarkets and labels and things on it and share/interact with your players.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Hey guys, is there any easy to use nerd game mapping program that works kinda like google maps? I'd love something that didn't require any coding know-how and just let you upload a big map image and then drop placemarkets and labels and things on it and share/interact with your players.

Could you just do this with actual google maps and obscure European towns? Some of them will be built around fortifications and markets and all that.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Baronjutter posted:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?525992-Google-Maps-for-Forgotten-Realms-(specifically-5th-edition-D-amp-D)/page2 had some interesting stuff that pertains to this gor Google Maps and Inkskape

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ah, I might need to figure out some basic coding stuff to mess around with the google maps API or whatever then.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Baronjutter posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legendkeeper/

beg this guy for an early access copy

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Suggestions on handling player transformations similar to lycanthropy but with a trigger based around willpower? I want the transformation to be mechanically several good things but morally and narratively bad. The idea was originally based on beasthood in Bloodborne, where as a player you get a lot of neat mechanical benefits but narratively it's probably an awful thing to have happen to a person where you give in to that primal urge.

I've been wanting it to be something my player is currently unaware of the mechanics of and suppresses, maybe to rear its head as a Willpower save later on when his HP drops to a certain point - and from then on out, he can attempt to active it at will.

I've looked up were- stuff in the DMG and it's useful but not as crunchy as I'd like.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I'm getting back into DM'ing after our first campaign fell apart because it was work-based and fully three quarters of the players got made redundant. This time I'm using my own setting and pulling material from lots of different sources (and making it up) because as we went on last time using the source book became more restrictive than anything else. Are there any guides for very new DMs (other than "use a sourcebook, don't try and make it up yourself")? I'm thinking of really obvious stuff, like when this thread intervened over my plan to make the party hurt each other when rolling a nat 1 to attack.

Additionally, one of my players wants to be a druid who can wild shape into a centaur. I know it's not in the rules, but is there any specific reason not to allow this? We're starting in a desert city described as "the greatest marketplace in the mortal realms, where everything is available if the price is right" and she's decided her personal goal is to buy a pair of magic trousers that shifts between two legs and four legs when she changes shape. I love that kind of nonsense and don't want to shut it down!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

No, druid centaur is fine.

For dming, basically read apocalypse world. Their idea of fronts is genius, basically have 3-4 antagonists with plans that conflict with the players goals and will advance over time unless they setup them. Sketch out npcs in a maximum of three lines of text and expand the ones the players are interested in. Don't plan more than a session or two ahead.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
That'd be more of a question of what you count as 'animal', I suppose if anything can turn into a centaur a druid probably could.

Also, setting-wise, it's usually actually a better idea to make it up as you go along as a newbie DM I find, it's extremely helpful to experiment and figure out what you like, what works and what doesn't.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Turning into a centaur is just turning into a horse but getting distracted half way.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

The lady who wants to be able to turn into a centaur says if she turns into a bee and uses her single sting on someone, does she get another one if she becomes a bee again in future?

Edit: she has just messaged me to say there are 20,000 species of bee and she's going to learn all of them

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Sanford posted:

The lady who wants to be able to turn into a centaur says if she turns into a bee and uses her single sting on someone, does she get another one if she becomes a bee again in future?

Edit: she has just messaged me to say there are 20,000 species of bee and she's going to learn all of them

Guess she can turn into a bee 20.000 times and then never again?(move on to wasps.)

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Sanford posted:

She should be able to sting, it kills the bee so it forces her back to caster form, then if she has any uses of wild shape she can turn back into a bee. She doesn’t turn back into the exact bee she was before, just one that looks exactly like it with a fresh stinger.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

Pussy Quipped posted:

She should be able to sting, it kills the bee so it forces her back to caster form, then if she has any uses of wild shape she can turn back into a bee. She doesn’t turn back into the exact bee she was before, just one that looks exactly like it with a fresh stinger.

The real issue is that, if you're using 5e, she can't turn into a single bee until level 8 - that's when you unlock wild shapes with flying speed, RaW.

Which is a real shame because this sounds like a great druid player who should absolutely be given the freedom to try whatever it is she's planning.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

NAME REDACTED posted:

The real issue is that, if you're using 5e, she can't turn into a single bee until level 8 - that's when you unlock wild shapes with flying speed, RaW.

Which is a real shame because this sounds like a great druid player who should absolutely be given the freedom to try whatever it is she's planning.

We’ll find a way to make it work. She’s the only girl in our group and ten years younger than the next oldest player (nearly twenty years younger than me!) so she’s definitely indulging us by coming along. It’s only the second time we’ve played and we’re far more about telling each other a good story than sticking hard to the rules, so we’ll find a way to make it work.

I know this isn’t the storytelling thread but I do want to mention one of my favourite moments from our previous campaign. She’d picked up an item called The Griffin’s Eye that gave you a big bonus to insight checks (it also made you quite racist but that’s another story). The party ventured through a tower finding clues about an elven noble trying to resurrect his murdered lost love, turning to darker and darker means until he became a lich. When they encountered him he was quite mad, ranting about his hatred of the undead and unable to see he had become what he despised the most. On her turn the player used ghostly hand to ram The Griffin’s Eye into the lich’s empty eye socket, shouting “Look at yourself! See what you’ve become!” The scales fell from his eyes, he suddenly saw clearly all the terrible mistakes he’d made, and he used the last of his power to end himself. It was just such a wonderful, inventive solution to what should have been a hard fight. She’s a great player.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've always thought that when using an insanely over-mechanic'd system like 5e and come up against wanting to do something that seems reasonable but the system says no or doesn't have a way to handle it, just be the DM and say gently caress it and house rule it. I've seen too many DM's act like the books are the boss of their game, not them. If a rule is bad, ignore it, change it.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

NAME REDACTED posted:

If DM wants to be a cool person and allow it, just make the reasoning something like "this is a trial form to get used to flying before the big stuff."

Maybe come up with a similar fish form as well. Is there a fish that is small and can kill itself easily?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Baronjutter posted:

I've always thought that when using an insanely over-mechanic'd system like 5e and come up against wanting to do something that seems reasonable but the system says no or doesn't have a way to handle it, just be the DM and say gently caress it and house rule it. I've seen too many DM's act like the books are the boss of their game, not them. If a rule is bad, ignore it, change it.

This is the correct answer. Sometimes it's useful to look at the reason behind a rule, also, and determine if that reason is an actual concern. The reason for most of the restrictions on flying are because they give players who can fly a huge advantage. But this kind of thing is easy, in this case: the bee doesn't fly up, it just hovers 4 feet off the ground and has a flying speed of 30 until it hits level 8. You can come up with some kind of reason about getting used to a bee body or some poo poo but you can also just never come up with a reason because it's your table.

If the flying part of the bee isn't the important part, then the change is cosmetic and cosmetic changes should almost always be okay. Also this allows the bee to ignore difficult terrain like ice or rocks or whatever, which is non-cosmetic but basically minimal and the exact kind of thing you want to give players to see what they do with it in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Like there's a game balance point where sometimes flying removes your options as a DM for preparing dungeons and so on - you can't use pitfalls as traps if the whole party can fly, and combat encounters become basically optional if you have flying, and so on. But if you're aware of that and rule accordingly, it's not a big deal.

There are different types of tables and I would be way more skeptical about handing out flying if I knew a player was doing a min/max twink build from GITP in 3.5e and they wanted flying because it let them twink it even harder or something, because those tables are often about players showing off whatever crazy poo poo they can come up with within the system and flexing on rules for one player over another can cause problems on that kind of table. But if this is a "we want to do roleplaying and explore dungeons using D&D for fun" kind of table where players aren't trying to style with their rules knowledge and where resentment because one player can do cool stuff isn't likely to happen (because all the players are playing characters they think are cool, so nobody minds) then waive the flying restriction for sure or use a limited form where they can't get vertical distance - and then let them overcome that using clever things if they want to.

As long as your players are spending resources to make decisions that matter you have a game, and as long as you have a game it's all good.