Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

STR posted:

Why do I feel like I'm suddenly everdave, except without kids? :sigh: (speaking of, she doesn't like me using condoms, and I know drat well my pull out game isn't that great, so it's been Russian Roulette).

It may already be too late for you, congratulations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

STR posted:

Why do I feel like I'm suddenly everdave, except without kids? :sigh: (speaking of, she doesn't like me using condoms, and I know drat well my pull out game isn't that great, so it's been Russian Roulette).

In Russina Roulette, you only get to pull the trigger a max of 6 time before it all goes wrong.

There has been at least that many saturday nights since you two started dating.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

STR posted:

(speaking of, she doesn't like me using condoms, and I know drat well my pull out game isn't that great, so it's been Russian Roulette).

Hate to dogpile but the pullout method is most used by parents.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Ferrets are great, if slightly high maintenance pets. Also, you get used to the ankle biting, i swear.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Get the snip bro

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

the spyder posted:

Random thought: Figuring out what to do with your life at 34 is a pain in the rear end...

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Though not 34 for a few months I’m going to get a vasectomy in the coming weeks. So that part of life is figured out.

Sounds like you're both in for a pain in the rear end?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I had a few ferrets before I got into skunks and they are the best, they're so funny. I love when they do the war dance when they are playing. Only thing that sucks is that they are poop machines, they have a fast gi track and poop like 5 times a day. Still worth it.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
AI:SS begins tonight.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
AI SS is good.

STR, what the gently caress are you doing, man? Jesus Christ. Run away.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Ferrets are great, if slightly high maintenance pets. Also, you get used to the ankle biting, i swear.

I had the complete opposite experience with my two, they were so playful and good-natured. They'd sleep most of the day so when I got home from work I'd let them out and they'd run around the house while I made dinner or whatever and then put themselves to bed when they got tired. On a few occasions I'd find them curled up in a drawer somewhere asleep, after the first time we put a little fleece bag in there for them to sleep in :3:

shy boy from chess club posted:

I had a few ferrets before I got into skunks and they are the best, they're so funny. I love when they do the war dance when they are playing. Only thing that sucks is that they are poop machines, they have a fast gi track and poop like 5 times a day. Still worth it.

Mine were pretty well trained, they'd wake up from their naps, poop in their litter box and then want out to scamper about and explore. I know some people have ones that stole stuff but mine never did which I'm almost disappointed about.

How do you have a skunk pet?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Deeters is a cool dude. The missus and I went shooting with him yesterday.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Is there an AI:SS thread that I've missed?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
STR put it in her butt instead.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

STR posted:

(speaking of, she doesn't like me using condoms, and I know drat well my pull out game isn't that great, so it's been Russian Roulette).

All else aside, man, this is a hard no. :stonk:

You have been pretty clear about not wanting kids, so that is deeply not cool.

:sever:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

MC Hawking posted:

Also not 100%, due to dribbling. To bring this full-circle, at Thanksgiving in ten years' time STR Jr is going to mention chocolate cream pie and his parents are just going to glare at each other.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 4, 2018

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Hello

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Also not 100%, due to dribbling. To bring this full-circle, at Thanksgiving in ten years' time STR Jr is going to mention chocolate cream pie and his parents are just going to glare at each other.

OK so he can put it in her butt but then he has to eat it out afterwards to make sure. Is that better?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

OK so he can put it in her butt but then he has to eat it out afterwards to make sure. Is that better?

Or have good butt pull out game

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Today's word of the day:

Felching.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Basketball sure has changed over the years

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

redgubbinz posted:

Basketball sure has changed over the years

I thought it was pretty commonly known that dribbling reduced the amount of traveling that would happen greatly...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Patte dat catte

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
STR sounds like you need to get out while you can - or ride that crazy train til the crash it’s your choice!

Out of the past 35 days I’ve had the kids a minimum of 25 days (don’t know the exact amount at least that much). Not that it matters my kids come first but yeah the girls I had been seeing have left for greener pastures

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Mine were pretty well trained, they'd wake up from their naps, poop in their litter box and then want out to scamper about and explore. I know some people have ones that stole stuff but mine never did which I'm almost disappointed about.

How do you have a skunk pet?

Yea mine did the same thing, wake, poop then play. They just do it a lot, haha.

Ive always wanted a pet skunk and found out how to get one from a yahoo chat group. I got my first one the same year I found out that my mom had cancer so they made a huge impact on my life when things were pretty bad. My very favorite one came with me when I moved to Florida so I had her through bad and good times. Then I met one of my girlfriends on the same yahoo group and she ended up moving in with me in Florida. After a while we had 8 skunks, 3 coatimundis, a ferret and a raccoon. We were both animal lovers and we couldnt turn down rescues. Then things didnt work out and she left so I had my 4 skunks to help me get over that too. My last guy Riley who came with me when I moved back to CT passed away in 2013 and I missed him and having skunks a lot. After I got my business built up to where I was stable I wanted a skunk again so bad. I found Scout as a rescue in New Jersey right before new years. Went to get her on New Years eve eve driving through a snow storm and the traffic going into NYC for New Years. It was torture doing that trip but my neighbor came with me to keep me comany and she kept me from going crazy in that traffic. A 2.5 hour drive that ended up taking 10 total. So worth it though, Scout rules. Shes one of the best ones that Ive had. Her original owner named her Fifi and she used to dress her up in outfits and stuff, I think thats why shes so laid back having to put up with that. No way her name was staying Fifi. I named her Scout in honor of Harper Lee dying last year since I love To Kill a Mockingbird.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

E

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 5, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Classy finish move. I hate it when metaphors are left unresolved.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

tetrapyloctomy posted:

So THATS how Donald trump was conceived!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The gently caress, thread.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Suburban Dad posted:

The gently caress, thread.

Dec. Chat thread. The gently caress thread. Punctuation optional

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Why the gently caress would the service manual have 6 torque specs in a line, 5 of which are in ft/lbs, and one that's in in/lbs right in the middle? At least I was able to extract that valve cover bolt in less than 2 minutes

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Charles posted:

(using aforementioned 13 year old camera)

A Good Dog

meatpimp posted:

Queue Archer meme: Do you want a ruined life? Because that's how you get a ruined life.

Reverse order response -- I paid $90 for a 1DII with a 6 month warranty. I'm coming at this from a completely different perspective from yours.

You're doing awesome pro-level sports work, which is demanding and can absolutely use all of the features of a high-end, current camera. Nobody's going to need a 4'x6' print of what you're shooting, but you could print one up if you wanted. That resolution also gives you a shitload of flexibility to crop and edit in post.

HOWEVER, that does not reflect what I feel to be the other 95% of camera users, including myself. In the past 15 years there has been a multi-generational explosive evolution of camera tech, and some of the cast-offs are still very viable pieces. I started with buying a 5DII last year with 150k actuations on it for under $200. At that price, I have in my hands a full frame camera that shoots 21 megapixel images that will be every bit as good as a new camera. Strong statement, I'll stand by it.

The feel of a near-pro Canon in your hand is worlds beyond a Rebel or "x0"D. It's solid, it's fast, it feels more mechanically crafted.

Then, there's this 1DII. I was too cavalier when I bought it. I thought it was full frame, thinking that it was current the same time the 5D came out so it'd be full frame, but nope, it's a crop. That kinda changes my pans for it. Original thought was to go to Vegas with a full frame and a 50mm lens for under $150 to see what I could do. Now I think I'm going to go the ultimate insult and put a Sigma 28-90 on it and do the same thing. 50mm on a crop is just too narrow for me.

So, I'm going to shoot the balls off of the 1D and see what happens.

On the feel... well, a tired and beat 1D feels better than the 5D. It's like the difference between a 5D and the consumer models. The 1D is FAST in a way that is hard to quantify. It came to me with continuous high drive mode on and it takes four shots in the time it takes you to put your finger down and pull it up. It's truly impressive. And for $90... poo poo, everyone should have one.

90 bucks for ANY 1D is a loving score. Where on earth did you get it, I've been looking for a cheapish 1D to play with (and also to use in bad conditions like whiteout dust) - the best I can do is 550 for Mk III. Hell if anyone can help me get a cheap 1D from the USA I'll be happy to pay a spotters fee. I'd prefer a Mk IV or a X but honestly I'm fine with a Mk II and on. The only time I've used a 1D Mk II I got this ....

And lets face it, that STILL is the match for most cameras these days, despite it coming out over 10 years ago. And yes, the speed of a 1D has to be experienced.... as well as just handling a 1D. It just works in your hand. That's the reason why, despite most cameras going smaller, I much prefer the larger prosumer / pro xD cameras. Solid, fits so well in the hand. The 7D MkII really replicates that amazing feel of a 1D and of course it genuinely is built extremely tough and by most reports is BETTER weather sealed than a 1D of any kind.

Your 1D from memory is a 1.3x crop rather than a 1.6x crop of the more general crop sensors so it'll certainly be a lot closer to full frame than you might expect. Also thinking about speed....

These two (ESPECIALLY the top one) was a literal "oh poo poo I didnt see them coming" - the top one I had the camera pointed down at my feet and I just did a point / shoot blind... the camera managed to focus so bloody fast that I got a shot that was 100% fluke but you wouldnt know it. The 1D of your age isnt quite as stupid fast but it certainly blows away most anything else on the market today.

But but it's only 10 megapixels....! It's not the amount of pixels, it's the quality. Your average cameraphone has a shitton of megapixels these days. That means nothing when 10 year old DSLR can use L-Glass. A good lens makes an average camera good, a good camera amazing.

(Even with the way can I drive a camera hard and demand a lot from them, I still use a Samsung smart phone for walking about)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

meatpimp posted:

Classy finish move. I hate it when metaphors are left unresolved.

Someone doxx STR for the sole purpose of sending him some kind of pie every Thanksgiving, for the ultimate callback.

"Another pie? Honey, why--"
"Don't ask."

spog
Aug 7, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Someone doxx STR for the sole purpose of sending him some kind of pie every Thanksgiving, for the ultimate callback.

"Another pie? Honey, why--"
"Don't ask."

Just teach his kids to do it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
STR: As a married straight guy with (as planned) no kids after all these years, reading this, I'm like "Dude... you were a happily gay man, you were in the clear. What went wrong"

Also, Bar Ferret did in fact rock. There's a hilarious photo of my oblivious friend in the background suddenly realizing there was a ferret and then showing clear distress that he missed out on the holding. What a super cool little animal.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
:siren: AI Secret Santa is up! :siren:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

But but it's only 10 megapixels....! It's not the amount of pixels, it's the quality. Your average cameraphone has a shitton of megapixels these days. That means nothing when 10 year old DSLR can use L-Glass. A good lens makes an average camera good, a good camera amazing.

I got a Fuji X100 and I love it. Feels like my old Leica film rangefinders, it's super quiet, small, great for street style stuff which I like.

After shooting digital for so long I really don't like taking shitloads of images anymore because it means more time editing and I hate editing. When I did sports it was crazy, I spent more time on the computer than behind the camera. No desire to do that kind of stuff anymore, now i'm happy with the occasional landscape stuff and kid/cat portraits :)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Excellent news. I will he signing up tomorrow!

All: you should definitely do this. I will be participating in my third and it has been awesome every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The worst part is she's started reading the forums, so it's only a matter of time until she sees.... this.

cakesmith handyman posted:

You ever sir there watching someone set their life on fire thinking they know exactly what they're doing so you just watch because they wouldn't do it publicly if they didn't want you to be at least entertained?

Why yes, I do follow Dave's thread. :v:

(sorry Dave)

tetrapyloctomy posted:

You are dipping an unwrapped dick in a vat of pure crazy, and it's going to make your life miserable if you don't quit while you're ahead.

That's one of many reasons we haven't had sex in awhile. Already miserable, been working 6 day work weeks (taking a day off when she's working) as an escape.

InitialDave posted:

STR, what the gently caress are you doing, man? Jesus Christ. Run away.

I'm on the lease (so therefore jointly responsible for the rent), and I don't want to deal with angry crazy while living here. Trying to stick it out until after the holidays, since we already have tickets to visit family.

MC Hawking posted:

Pretty sure the cops would get called over a scream that loud. :haw:

(seriously tho, my apt complex has been in the news this week over a really hosed up child abuse situation that happened in the next building, so people are paying a lot more attention to stuff like... screams)

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I hate you so loving much right now. :barf:

tetrapyloctomy posted:

You know.... chocolate cream pie was my favorite pie. Until you came along, doc. :smithicide:

Ferremit posted:

So THATS how Donald trump was conceived!

:perfect:

• Locked thread