Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/eedrk/status/1057393455955996673

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Please, no one has gone from ambassador to president in forever.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Radish posted:

gently caress Manchin and gently caress his defenders.

hard pass, hard pass

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Kilroy posted:

Ahem may I call your attention to rule 5 from the OP:

The week is queued by the way, PPJ didn't forget.

I forget all the time lol, people skate by with 6ers from me in threads that are supposed to get them week probes.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/spectatrcitizen/status/1058482315855306752
Tom Perez Is A Weasel, Exhibit A.

It gets worse the deeper into the thread you go.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Office Pig posted:

That is just a painful interview. Christ.

Read the whole thing and rage.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 3, 2018

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

What a cowardly, pathetic wretch of a man.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
To be (ugh) fair to Tom Perez if he said the words "Donald Trump is a racist" or "Donald Trump is a bigot" or whatever, it'd be all over Fox then CNN and Twitter and whatever the hell else about how Tom Perez is dividing America and poo poo. It would be big news and there would be a lot of what you would basically have to call concern trolling from pretty much everyone in the media. And that would drag attention away from Trump actually being a racist (which everyone already knows and doesn't need explained to them) to the "controversy" of calling him what he obviously loving is. Which in the very short term is probably bad because we have an election next Tuesday.

Having said that:

People like a Tom Perez are a big part of the reason that our national media sucks so much poo poo, because liberals do not hold journalists accountable when they gently caress them over with biased coverage and reporting the controversy and other weaselly loving nonsense that they do all the time. Like for example the very instant that Fox News started doing reporting on loving "death panels" and poo poo, Obama should have booted them from the loving press corps for the rest of his administration. Same goes for War On Christmas stuff that they do every year. They're clearly not reporting the facts in good faith, they're clearly just doing opinion pieces disguised as journalism, and everyone knows it - that has no place in the press pool, actually. You wouldn't let Breitbart in there so don't let in other outlets that are doing the same basic thing but for whatever reason have a more prestigious name. Just cut them off. Tarnish their reputation. They deserve it.

And if you do that, then the long-term payoff is that journalists and news outlets aren't loving you over by appealing to the lowest common denominator all the time, and occasionally make the effort to explain and inform, because the alternative is that their ratings are in the toilet because they've hardly got any access. But, sadly, there is a short-term cost in that those same outlets are going to hammer you at first and hope you back down, which you'll do because you're a liberal and you're totally unable to think beyond the next election.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kilroy posted:

To be (ugh) fair to Tom Perez if he said the words "Donald Trump is a racist" or "Donald Trump is a bigot" or whatever, it'd be all over Fox then CNN and Twitter and whatever the hell else about how Tom Perez is dividing America and poo poo. It would be big news and there would be a lot of what you would basically have to call concern trolling from pretty much everyone in the media. And that would drag attention away from Trump actually being a racist (which everyone already knows and doesn't need explained to them) to the "controversy" of calling him what he obviously loving is. Which in the very short term is probably bad because we have an election next Tuesday.

Yeah, but having people openly saying that about Trump would be a net positive, and it's not like the media is going to focus on useful things to begin with.

Perez is pathetic to the point where it's almost humorous. Like, at first it was my instinct to sort of assume that even though he looks all goofy and sweaty and concerned in every photo of him, that the reality would be something more nuanced, but it turns out that in real life he's exactly like the caricature you'd imagine from the photos. Kinda reminds me of how the same thing was true of Hillary; I tried to keep an open mind about how the stereotypes might be wrong, but over time she's proved herself to actually be a living "entitled wealthy white woman" stereotype.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I get what you're saying Kilroy but on the other hand there's an issue with the balance of power when the GOP can trumpet their usual filth and you can't even call them a racist without worrying about boomer grandpas getting off the couch and voting after a nonstop onslaught of propoganda.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The people who would get mad about Tom Perez calling Trump a racist are Republicans. By definition, nothing a Democrat ever does short of honorable seppuku will make a Republican happy. Being a spineless poo poo sack does nothing, but actually calling Trump what he is had the potential to rally the left. But Perez doesn't represent the left, he represents temporarily embarrassed Republicans, so in that context the move makes perfect sense.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/GeorgiaDemocrat/status/1058509053486395392
I'll credit what he's trying to say here, but assuming he isn't just shifting blame does he think there was this big void of political activity from 2010 onward? What does he think happened in all those lost states?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, but having people openly saying that about Trump would be a net positive, and it's not like the media is going to focus on useful things to begin with.

Perez is pathetic to the point where it's almost humorous. Like, at first it was my instinct to sort of assume that even though he looks all goofy and sweaty and concerned in every photo of him, that the reality would be something more nuanced, but it turns out that in real life he's exactly like the caricature you'd imagine from the photos. Kinda reminds me of how the same thing was true of Hillary; I tried to keep an open mind about how the stereotypes might be wrong, but over time she's proved herself to actually be a living "entitled wealthy white woman" stereotype.
Yeah it's not a bad idea to trust your instincts on that sort of stuff, actually. We've evolved to size people up quickly - just always remember that only means your intuition is better than random chance, certainly not always correct and maybe not even correct half the time. Just more than you'd expect given the plain odds.

Anyway my point was just that the strategy where you're calling Trump an obvious racist and refusing to deal with media that treat the fucker with kid gloves and act as apologists for fascism, is a long game. Or maybe a medium game. Maybe even a game played out over the course of a month. It's not something to start the weekend before an election.

And yes I'm well aware that's not Perez's calculus here. His calculus is "I'm a loving coward leading an organization of cowards which purpose is to get cowards elected to public office so we can make money" and it so happens that that calculus looks sort of like what you might do if you were an ordinary non-cowardly person transplanted into Tom Perez's body 100 hours before an important election.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/GeorgiaDemocrat/status/1058509053486395392
What does he think happened in all those lost states?
What the gently caress does he care? He's rich as poo poo.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Worrying about what Republican propaganda will say about you is a fool's game in an era where those same Republicans are filing lawsuits/writing legislation to cripple the ACA while campaigning on protecting preexisting conditions and George Soros is buying invasion forces that are a thousand miles away on foot that will be here tonight to kick your dog.

They're going to say whatever the gently caress they want, whenever they want. You can't fight that kind of propaganda by trying to avoid letting them say bad things about you.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

bird food bathtub posted:

Worrying about what Republican propaganda will say about you is a fool's game in an era where those same Republicans are filing lawsuits/writing legislation to cripple the ACA while campaigning on protecting preexisting conditions and George Soros is buying invasion forces that are a thousand miles away on foot that will be here tonight to kick your dog.

They're going to say whatever the gently caress they want, whenever they want. You can't fight that kind of propaganda by trying to avoid letting them say bad things about you.
It's all Republican propaganda. I'm not referring to the explicitly right-wing outlets that are going to vilify people like Perez and anyone to his left (and a lot of people to his right) no matter what they do, I'm talking about the Serious People organizations like the WaPo or the NYT or CNN, etc. The ones that are "liberal" in all the worst ways, and that use their influence with moderate and low-info Dems to concern-troll the Democratic party into a toothless opposition and make sure that only people who will never threaten capitalism in a million years rise to the top of it politically. The threat they represent should be taken just as seriously as that of the actual fascists, being as they are fascist collaborators, and picking this particular fight at this particular time would probably not be in the best interest of defeating fascism IMO, and that remains true even if Tom Perez considered none of this at the time. (And he didn't - he's also a collaborator.)

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Speaking of the New York Time....

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1058463969869000704?s=19

Maggie is so in the tank for Trump. Any Democrat better be ready for the Times to go to war with them in 2019-2020.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The 'liberal media' was an amazingly effective invention to make the media desperately attempt to appease Republicans at all costs.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Radish posted:

Speaking of the New York Time....

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1058463969869000704?s=19

Maggie is so in the tank for Trump. Any Democrat better be ready for the Times to go to war with them in 2019-2020.

Maggie's drawing a second salary shilling for the Daily News? :thunk:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Office Pig posted:

What was this? The whole account is protected now

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Kilroy posted:

Yeah, getting a bunch of free press for the Democrats right before Election Day would have been a really bad move.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

What was this? The whole account is protected now

Basically an interviewer asking "Would you say Trump is racist" and Perez spending paragraphs hem-hawing about how he doesn't know if he'd say that, but he's certainly divisive, and America needs to come together, etc. Like, he did everything possible to avoid calling Trump racist.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Was basically going over this interview with Perez.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mixed up Tom Perez with Perez Hilton for a moment there

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Apparently there was an incel mass shooting in Florida yesterday. 40-year-old incel shot up a yoga studio. Didn't get much coverage right away because only two were killed and that's small potatoes these days. He'd been arrested repeatedly for groping women in public, but charges had never been pursued.

His social media was a real treat, apparently.

quote:

Another of Beierle’s 2014 videos was titled “The Rebirth of my Misogynism,” and featured him listing the names of women — from eighth grade until his time in the Army — whom he said caused his “rebirth.” (A Pentagon spokesperson told BuzzFeed News Beierle served from 2008 to 2010).

In the video he said women were capable of “treachery” and “lying.” He spoke aggressively about women giving him their phone number even when they had a boyfriend, and how angry it made him. He also mentioned a girl who cancelled dates on him. “I could have ripped her head off,” he said.

Unlike the YouTube videos, his songs on Soundcloud were all uploaded in the last few months. Shortly before Friday’s shooting, Beierle uploaded one song called “gently caress ’Em All,” with the lyrics: “To hell with the boss that won’t get off my back / To hell with the girl I can’t get in the sack.”

Another song, called “Nobody’s Type,” featured him lamenting that women didn’t find him attractive. “I’m no athletic shark. I’m not a physical specimen. I don’t win the trophies and medals. Nobody stands in awe of me,” he sang.

In “American Wigger,” he sang that he would “blow off” the head of a woman he referred to using the c-word. The song “Locked in My Basement” featured an extremely disturbing tale of Beierle holding a woman prisoner in his basement using chains so he can rape her.

Other songs were entitled “Who Let the Fags Out?” and “Bring Your Fatwa.”

After this story was published, all the videos were removed from YouTube. “This account has been terminated due to multiple or severe violations of YouTube’s policy on violence,” read a disclaimer on the site.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Apparently there was an incel mass shooting in Florida yesterday. 40-year-old incel shot up a yoga studio. Didn't get much coverage right away because only two were killed and that's small potatoes these days. He'd been arrested repeatedly for groping women in public, but charges had never been pursued.

His social media was a real treat, apparently.

I appreciate the due diligence youtube displayed in handling this problem by tackling the problem four years and two bodies too late.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hurray for Kemp declaring the Democratic Party committed unnamed cyber crimes just before the election.

It’s ok, this was only posted on all the SoS websites for finding your polling location. I’m sure this is a fair and honest investigation not just another blatant attempt to rig the election.

And of course we all know that if Kemp isn’t punished, he must have done nothing wrong!

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

"Hey I think the police are arresting Stacy Abr-"

"Now he's really desperate!"

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Meanwhile, in America's Future:
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1059168581726937089

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/FSUDems/status/1058561447465226240
https://twitter.com/mcyost/status/1058820565409189893

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Is there a mandatory spine removal procedure you have to undergo to get into liberal leadership? Because these takes are real bad

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Not a Step posted:

Is there a mandatory spine removal procedure you have to undergo to get into liberal leadership? Because these takes are real bad

Its called being rich, white, and suburban

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
https://twitter.com/theintercept/status/1059198886395420672?s=21

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
His opponent, Sarah Smith, is kind of a disappointment though (I voted for her, but still). We asked her during the DSA endorsement meeting how she felt about packing the court and she did not know what we were talking about.

Someone explained it to her and she was like "yeah that's a good idea" but... :ughh:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Jack Murtha is smiling from Hell.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Trabisnikof posted:

Hurray for Kemp declaring the Democratic Party committed unnamed cyber crimes just before the election.

It’s ok, this was only posted on all the SoS websites for finding your polling location. I’m sure this is a fair and honest investigation not just another blatant attempt to rig the election.

And of course we all know that if Kemp isn’t punished, he must have done nothing wrong!

I'm starting to lean more and more into the theory that there's some kind of actual Kemp / Putin connection. This poo poo is off the end of the chart.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm starting to lean more and more into the theory that there's some kind of actual Kemp / Putin connection. This poo poo is off the end of the chart.

I think Kemp's just a piece of poo poo, we shouldn't ascribe Russia to all our lovely actors. He doesn't need any outside support to be a power hungry psycho

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

sexpig by night posted:

I think Kemp's just a piece of poo poo, we shouldn't ascribe Russia to all our lovely actors. He doesn't need any outside support to be a power hungry psycho

That's a fair point. I thought there were some specific articles about Kemp making trips to Russia and the like but I can't find them now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's a fair point. I thought there were some specific articles about Kemp making trips to Russia and the like but I can't find them now.

yea if there is a more solid link it's shady for sure but I think the ol Occam's Razor answer of 'the guy in a position of power over his own tight election acts like a scumbag without needing anyone's outside help' is the best answer.

Kemp is totally dumb and corrupt enough to for some reason throw in 'colluding with Russians for literally no good reason' to that, though, so I don't blame ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sexpig by night posted:

I think ascribing every Nazi and Reactionary in America to a Russian Puppetmaster is incredibly dangerous

• Locked thread