Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I do not like this castle one bit. Ashley got caught in a trap so now I'm all alone and it's real claustrophobic and there were invisible giant bugs in the sewers and Fauntleroy keeps showing up to throw shade at me and all the monk chanting is freaking me out. Somebody rescue me? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tardcore posted:

Yea this is right when you get to the world of the dead and theres an optional boss in a crypt like right at the entrance, that guy kicked my rear end too

One of the forge lands quests suddenly puts you in a room with multiple level 17 enemies, and if you try to do it right around when you leave the place you'll be like 11.

Levels in action games are dumb.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

chumbler posted:

One of the forge lands quests suddenly puts you in a room with multiple level 17 enemies, and if you try to do it right around when you leave the place you'll be like 11.

Levels in action games are dumb.

Yea that game had a habit of higher level side dungeons around the lower level stuff, I forgot most of them by the time I was high enough to do them. It was pretty dumb

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I mean, fine, I don't disagree and I set y'all up for those easy jabs, but also lol who loving cares

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The invisible bugs still freak me out

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I don't care about Snoop Dogg and I don't care about drones but if somebody wants to advertise their game by dressing a drone up as Spyro and sending it to Snoop Dogg, then I'm all for it. It's not hurting anything.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The bug sewer and the Ashley armor segments spooked the poo poo out of me and still do, the bug sewer tension is especially wracking first time through when it’s a death slow crawl of checking every inch for distortions and eyes

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

thanks to giant bomb stream i learned that rock band 4 thought an exciting addition would be.. playable battleborn characters

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/FoxyVEVO/status/1059048231924105216

:ohdear:

Black August posted:

The bug sewer and the Ashley armor segments spooked the poo poo out of me and still do, the bug sewer tension is especially wracking first time through when it’s a death slow crawl of checking every inch for distortions and eyes

I think RE4 is the last game in the series that had the deliberate design of fear and uncertainty making you play slower and worse, despite having action packed sections.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That trap always seemed super duper weird and dumb to me

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

:greencube:

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Rarity posted:

REvil4 update:

I introduced Ashley to my bro Luis and he was immediately a sexist dick but my girl did not have time for that poo poo and shut him right the gently caress down. Ashley is a stone cold queen and I'm all about that. Then we got swarmed by a ton of locals. I guess white women really are popular outside the western world, aren't they?
You are aware that Spain is in the Western world right?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the worst part of the game is the cave with waves of invisible bugs after the minecart sequence cause they like dropping eyes and not ammo so i always come real close to running out

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jay Rust posted:

That trap always seemed super duper weird and dumb to me

No more weird and dumb than anything else in the game

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

the worst part of the game is the cave with waves of invisible bugs after the minecart sequence cause they like dropping eyes and not ammo so i always come real close to running out

You might already know this but if you shoot em in the air they die in 1 shot no matter what weapon you use. I tend to drop a bunch with the tmp while they're flying then shotgun the ones on the ground.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I think RE4 is the last game in the series that had the deliberate design of fear and uncertainty making you play slower and worse, despite having action packed sections.

Yeah, that's the catch. It FOOLS you into thinking you need to play it super slow and safe, when the actual best tactic is to balls out rush in and past them all and just gun gun gun without stopping for anything, and they'll die like chumps.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

RE4 is the finest accident the video game industry has created. Make some excellent TPS combat and mash it together with 4+ years worth of scrapped content from cancelled titles to create the perfect 15-20 hour action video game that hasn't been topped to this day.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm just patiently waiting for full dystopia over here

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Catfishenfuego posted:

You are aware that Spain is in the Western world right?

Yeah, wait, hold up, what?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

In Training posted:

The regenerators still freak me out

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Ok add bjorntolose#1778 to battlenet for some vanilla destiny 2 PC coop fun.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the regenerators aren’t that bad unless you decide to hang onto the bolt action rifle because you’re a cheapskate, but even then once you figure out you don’t have to mess with the parasite sniper minigame if you just dump enough damage into the things and you’re playing one of the later versions that boosts the bolt action rifle’s damage you can just splatter them with superior firepower

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Regenerators stopped being scary after the first playthrough, I wish they could have kept it fresh by introducing variants that move faster, more erratically, or have a LOT more parasites to blow off.

I dunno to this day I feel like the Nemesis concept was a brilliant idea, but limited to an era where the execution just didn't do it justice. I want to see a CoC game where your recurring undying foe is a shoggoth you have to keep doing progressively more insane poo poo to try to keep it down long enough to get distance and tasks done.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The first time I played I totally missed the heat vision glasses so the regenerators were basically impossible, I had to reload a much older save once I found out about it.

Black August posted:

Yeah, that's the catch. It FOOLS you into thinking you need to play it super slow and safe, when the actual best tactic is to balls out rush in and past them all and just gun gun gun without stopping for anything, and they'll die like chumps.

The same is true of the first 3 games, REmake, Zero and Code Veronica. I kind of love them for that. Fear as a design element.

Black August posted:

Regenerators stopped being scary after the first playthrough, I wish they could have kept it fresh by introducing variants that move faster, more erratically, or have a LOT more parasites to blow off.

I dunno to this day I feel like the Nemesis concept was a brilliant idea, but limited to an era where the execution just didn't do it justice. I want to see a CoC game where your recurring undying foe is a shoggoth you have to keep doing progressively more insane poo poo to try to keep it down long enough to get distance and tasks done.

I'm sure we'll get an RE3 remake that totally misses the point if the RE2 remake sells well enough.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

What game do I want to play

Planescape Torment
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario RPG
Fallout 4 VR
The Fractured But Whole(?)
Wild card

I have choice paralysis

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pretty sure Chrono Trigger's the shortest out of those, except maybe for Wild Card which I know nothing about.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Phenotype posted:

Planescape Torment
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario RPG
Fallout 4 VR
Wild card

I have choice paralysis

i resolve my choice paralysis by subsuming myself in numbers games, apparently

first destiny 2, presently diablo 3 :v:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Wild card is a wild card, dingus. And I forgot about Destiny 2. Maybe I oughta get the new expansion?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Planescape Torment
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario RPG
Fallout 4 VR
Wild card

I have choice paralysis

Super Mario RPG.

I'm hoping to finish up work stuff with enough time to properly get started in Cross Code, myself.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I played Return of the Obra Dinn today and I can't stop thinking about it.

Wish I could wipe my brain and play it again with a friend

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Regy Rusty posted:

It's so good!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Same. I wish I didn't have to resort to a guide near the end but I am very stupid.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's so good!

It's funny that my favorite/most memorable parts are when I made some glaring mistake and got confused for a while. Something just really satisfying about going ok I know something's wrong here just gotta find out what.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

mario rpg is shorter than chronological trigger , I feel like. either way you can’t go wrong with either.

keeping that autocorrect.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Square had the first Lovecraft Anime RPG and they hosed it UP with Cross and then buried it because success must take the form of blind obedience to a hasbeen man who hates RPGs taking 10 years to poo poo out a roadtrip and haute cuisine simulator

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Putting loving corn in chili: "haute cuisine"

And I wouldn't really call chronological trigger Lovecraftian. Lavos isn't particularly incomprehensible.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i would suggest that ff15 is amazing in spite of tetsuya nomura. they should probably just let him make whatever, by himself, off in a quiet corner office, like gunpei yokoi had to after the virtual boy

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm looking forward to playing the roadtrip game

now that i'm free of the ff13 trilogy

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

chumbler posted:

Putting loving corn in chili: "haute cuisine"

And I wouldn't really call chronological trigger Lovecraftian. Lavos isn't particularly incomprehensible.

what if it's...candy corn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

The White Dragon posted:

i would suggest that ff15 is amazing in spite of tetsuya nomura. they should probably just let him make whatever, by himself, off in a quiet corner office, like gunpei yokoi had to after the virtual boy

you want them to murder him and make it look like an accident????

• Locked thread