Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Umineko Ch. 4 keeps loving up my saves and it's really frustrating because it has totally failed to hook me so far anyway. Having to spend five minutes skipping to where I am every time I load it suuuuuuuuuuucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So a ton of otome games are on Steam which is another reason I wanted a new PC, which I now have.

But these are more Indie titles than the otome games I've played for Vita, right? On average, do they have voice-acting? Is there any way to tell? I have become oddly attached to hearing muh boyfriends having sexy Japanese voices.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

But these are more Indie titles than the otome games I've played for Vita, right? On average, do they have voice-acting? Is there any way to tell? I have become oddly attached to hearing muh boyfriends having sexy Japanese voices.

Voice acting will be less common in indie VNs, but it's not unknown. vndb.org will generally tell you for each release of a game whether that release has voice acting; since it's community-maintained it's not going to have complete information for every game, but it should help out in most cases where they don't specify in the store description.

"Partially voiced" usually means what you'd hope; the major characters/romantic interests will be voiced, but minor characters and the player character might not be.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

So a ton of otome games are on Steam which is another reason I wanted a new PC, which I now have.

welcome to the club :3:

The game listing will include full/partial VA on the page. Typically the trailer will add their names too. Indie games have a lower chance of VA but so it goes.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
I know there are a couple of otome EVNs with voice acting, and I know there are a couple of EVNs with Japanese voice acting, but I don't think there are any otome EVNs with Japanese voice acting.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

food court bailiff posted:

Umineko Ch. 4 keeps loving up my saves and it's really frustrating because it has totally failed to hook me so far anyway. Having to spend five minutes skipping to where I am every time I load it suuuuuuuuuuucks.

Might be time to put it down if you don't like it by Chapter 4, honestly.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Eh, Chapter 4 is kind of weirdly slower than the earlier ones due to its format. I personally like it a lot (mostly for how it comes together at the end) but I've seen more than one complaint lodged its way over the years. I forget where it ranks exactly but it's also the longest Question chapter by a fair bit.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Oh I completely misread and thought he said he didn't like anything up to and including Chapter 4

Yeah nevermind. Chapter 4 is bizarrely paced.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Ange stuff is important but a bit of a slog to get through IMHO.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 31, 2018

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah as others have said, I really like Umineko so far, and Ch4 has this tangible sense of significance so far even though I have no idea what it's really trying to say, it's just frustrating that my saves keep getting eaten (seriously, it's weird - on the loading screen they don't have screenshot thumbnails, and if you try to load them the whole game crashes with a white screen) and it seems pretty slow and pretty unlikely to feature a bunch of murders.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

That kinda sounds like some of the problems that existed in earlier versions of the official release, before patches. And of course patches in these games manage to gently caress up old save files enough that they recommended you wipe them all and start over which is a pain in the rear end at best

Do you have the official release?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah, it's the Mangagamer release on Steam where the Question arcs are packaged in one game and the Answer arcs in another, no fan patches or anything. From watching it shut down yesterday I'm actually thinking it's something related to Steam's cloud save stuff? I don't know, it's really weird - I didn't have any problems with the first three and I played those across two computers and a Steam Link.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well I've found a couple Steam otome that have voice-acting and interest me, Nightshade and The Charming Empire.I like historical stuff. Hakuoki is how I got into these games because I was like "holy poo poo, I dig the Edo period! And it also has cool music and sexy boys." At this point, Amnesia is the only "modern day" VN I've really played. I liked it well enough but historical settings will probably always be my preference for stuff like this.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

Well I've found a couple Steam otome that have voice-acting and interest me, Nightshade and The Charming Empire.I like historical stuff. Hakuoki is how I got into these games because I was like "holy poo poo, I dig the Edo period! And it also has cool music and sexy boys." At this point, Amnesia is the only "modern day" VN I've really played. I liked it well enough but historical settings will probably always be my preference for stuff like this.

Buy nightshade before you buy the charming empire. Tbh consider not buying the charming empire at all unless you reaaaaaally want it and the game is available at 2 euros.

And yeah I agree. I want more games on the taisho era personally. Love it.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Ey, tag that poo poo.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

what did he spoil

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

On Episode 6 of Umnieko now. Battler with the cape on is extremely cool-looking. I'm glad he finally got to own all the bad guys at the end of Ep. 5, but like Ep. 6 barely starts and he's already lost!!!! Come on man

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

what did he spoil

it's pretty minor imo

Ange is mentioned so infrequently before EP4 that a lot of people forget that there was an Ushiromiya that was left home from the massacre, so it's meant to be a surprise. but, like, if you never realized that Ange even exists, just saying her name isn't gonna spoil anything

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tbh I didn't even think what I was posted was even much of a spoiler considering how that character is featured on like, Japanese boxart and such, but it looks like the Steam pages go out of their way to not even feature them so eh whatever.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Everyone knows the real star of Episode 4 is GOLDSMITH

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Everyone knows the real star of Episode 4 is GOLDSMITH

i can't believe you'd forget goat-kun like that

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Meallan posted:

Buy nightshade before you buy the charming empire. Tbh consider not buying the charming empire at all unless you reaaaaaally want it and the game is available at 2 euros.

And yeah I agree. I want more games on the taisho era personally. Love it.

But the Charming Empire is the Taisho era one and it seems you didn't like it?

i'm no Japanese history buff but it seems you don't hear much about the Taisho period. You have the Meiji and then you have the Empire.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

But the Charming Empire is the Taisho era one and it seems you didn't like it?

i'm no Japanese history buff but it seems you don't hear much about the Taisho period. You have the Meiji and then you have the Empire.

I love the taisho era because of books and some other non otome games. I didn't buy the charming empire but the reviews for it are terrible and otome communities aren't already known for being too picky about quality so... check some YouTube videos first to make sure.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

charming empire is a mobage port so there's already low expectations from the start so far I read that the overall story is weak and why must you date your brother.

I liked certain routes from Nightshade and the MC does develop from the beginning to the end. Also, it's one of the better PC otome games out but tends to veer toward melodrama/tragedy. I just wish the MC had VA since it's awk for a lot of scenes.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Alder posted:

charming empire is a mobage port so there's already low expectations from the start so far I read that the overall story is weak and why must you date your brother.

I liked certain routes from Nightshade and the MC does develop from the beginning to the end. Also, it's one of the better PC otome games out but tends to veer toward melodrama/tragedy. I just wish the MC had VA since it's awk for a lot of scenes.

Character development for the MC is an interesting bonus. There wasn't much of that in Hakuoki or Amnesia. There was in Code Realize but that was probably teh overall best otome I've played right now.

As for melodrama and tragedy, I'm happy to have that. Most of the shojo I've read and watched fall into that territory. I like romance but I need it to be..."more epic" is the only way I can think to put it. I need wars and fighting and magic to go along with all the love and drama.

I am gonna get Nightshade simply because VNDB says it's really long while Charming Empire is really short. I can only get one game right now and I want it to count so naturally the longer one wins out. I've only gotten one otome at this point I didn't much care for (Bad Apple Wars) and I'm not the hardest guy to please. I'll see if I like Charming Empire next month.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

Character development for the MC is an interesting bonus. There wasn't much of that in Hakuoki or Amnesia. There was in Code Realize but that was probably teh overall best otome I've played right now.

As for melodrama and tragedy, I'm happy to have that. Most of the shojo I've read and watched fall into that territory. I like romance but I need it to be..."more epic" is the only way I can think to put it. I need wars and fighting and magic to go along with all the love and drama.

I am gonna get Nightshade simply because VNDB says it's really long while Charming Empire is really short. I can only get one game right now and I want it to count so naturally the longer one wins out. I've only gotten one otome at this point I didn't much care for (Bad Apple Wars) and I'm not the hardest guy to please. I'll see if I like Charming Empire next month.

Same. I find most otome without a overarching plot really boring. I need something else to be going on. And I'm not even of the opinion that you can't make plot entirely out of relationship drama, in fact a lot of great literature is about this. But it's just not within the capacity of scenario writers right now. When there's nothing external providing the drama it's always: stupid misunderstanding where no one talks to each other, or the dude is overtly hostile and MC needs to thread eggshells, or triangles. Just no.

Code;realize is probably de facto the best otome right now when you balance everything out. But the first psychadelica has a good plot, and the second an incredible great protag.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
I'm fairly early into Chapter 2 of Umineko. Is it weird that the most disturbing thing I've seen so far in this game is Rosa beating Maria nearly unconscious on multiple occasions? A dozen people are brutally murdered in Chapter 1, with several of them disfigured beyond recognition, and it didn't bug me much as I was kind of expecting something like it based the game's description. Rosa's treatment of Maria is much more difficult to get through, especially the Chapter 2 stuff.

Also, I loving despise Eva already.

Other than that, I'm really enjoying the game so far. The voice acting and music are top notch. I could write up a longer post of my crazy and surely incorrect theories about Chapter 1 if anyone is interested.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

hepcat posted:

I'm fairly early into Chapter 2 of Umineko. Is it weird that the most disturbing thing I've seen so far in this game is Rosa beating Maria nearly unconscious on multiple occasions? A dozen people are brutally murdered in Chapter 1, with several of them disfigured beyond recognition, and it didn't bug me much as I was kind of expecting something like it based the game's description. Rosa's treatment of Maria is much more difficult to get through, especially the Chapter 2 stuff.

Also, I loving despise Eva already.

Other than that, I'm really enjoying the game so far. The voice acting and music are top notch. I could write up a longer post of my crazy and surely incorrect theories about Chapter 1 if anyone is interested.
Not loving at all, that character is monstrous and you are right to be upset.

Umineko theory posting is more than OK and if anything should be encouraged!

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

So I'm on chapter 6 of Umineko and just got past Beatrices trial. I have a feeling I'm going to need a thorough analysis of this game to read by the time I'm done because everytime I try to put it all together my head hurts. It appears Battler is becoming his grandfather, what with the obsession with bringing back Beatrice and wearing his drat Cape. Plus I get the feeling that newly born Beatrice is the same one that Rosa accidentally murdered, and was also the baby Natsuhi killed. Which explains why Kinzo wanted her to care for it because its him timewarped back to being a baby somehow. I already know the Shannon Kanon spoiler but have no idea how the hell that works in practice either.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

https://www.umineko.us/

PS3 sprites and English dub for Umineko?

Only if you want to make it happen, I spose (It's a Kickstarter starting on November 7th)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I don't really like this english voice acting myself but that's just me :shrug:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Japanese voices are probably under licensing hell, but like the original they are probably going to be easy to patch in. Well whatever, I like Umineko too much to not give this a strong consideration unless the tiers are really wonky.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

klapman posted:

Given the nature of the game I have no idea if I'm right cause this is based off memory of The Silver Case, but I think Big Dick survives at the end. I remember the ending being the detective guy realizing that Big Dick wasn't a Kamui clone or something, and then the last line is "Then who the gently caress is Big Dick?" Honestly though I have no idea.

That game ruled (?)

Finished 428 Shibuya Scramble, and overall it's quite good. The vast majority of the game has excellent pacing and a huge amount of charm, and the constant switching between protagonists keeps things moving. Worth it, even at the 50$ price point.

(spoilers for whole game) I didn't like the ending that much, though. Gameplay wise the bomb stuff got really annoying. The lack of a skip button along with the fact that the bad ends disappeared from the timeline but were still there became frustrating very quickly. I futzed around with the bomb stuff for quite a while, and many of my experiments changed things just enough that they died in a slightly different way, while still making me unable to skip through it. That's something that only came up in the last major event of the game, and really killed a lot of the momentum for me.

The twist I was expecting, due to the constant mentions of Alphard actively incorporating coincidences into their plan, was that the player would be them somehow. This would have been pretty cool and mind-bending, but instead it's just "yeah, this character is Alphard." It's fine, but the fact that Alphard wasn't even really beaten in the end was frustrating. I dunno, most of my problems with it are vague right now and I'm just throwing it at Alphard's feet. I was onboard with everything up until 18:00-20:00, and then something just started to fall flat with it all.

Maybe it's just cause everything narrows back down to Achi/Endo at the end, and they were consistently the two that I'd look at last in the Main 5. Osawa was my favorite, followed by Minorikawa, then Tama. Those two were fine, but I just engaged a lot more with the plot with the other three. Bah.

Also once you get 50 bad endings a chapter unlocks for another character.

428 Shibuya Scramble was really good though. Definitely in my top 10 visual novels, maybe top 5. (Steins Gate, Fata Morgana, Umineko are top 3. Chaos Child might be in top 5 as well)

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 2, 2018

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I finished up Fatal Twelve a couple of days ago and loved it. Any particular recommendations based on that?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I finished up Fatal Twelve a couple of days ago and loved it. Any particular recommendations based on that?

Sound of Drop is by the same devs, so you could check that out. It's a lot shorter and differently structured (less of a character study and more of a straightforward horror story with tons of bad endings for you to avoid or collect), but it does share Fatal Twelve's theme of the lingering regrets of the dead (plus some significant yuri undertones, although not quite as overt as in Fatal Twelve).

If you could narrow down what specifically you liked about it, I could probably come up with some other recommendations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I recc'd checking out the psychedelica games on vita too if you like tragic stories. They are closer to adventure/mystery than romance. Although I have to admit the 1st game BB has some odd comments wrt to women :thunk:

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Thuryl posted:

Sound of Drop is by the same devs, so you could check that out. It's a lot shorter and differently structured (less of a character study and more of a straightforward horror story with tons of bad endings for you to avoid or collect), but it does share Fatal Twelve's theme of the lingering regrets of the dead (plus some significant yuri undertones, although not quite as overt as in Fatal Twelve).

If you could narrow down what specifically you liked about it, I could probably come up with some other recommendations.

I liked that it was straightforwardly gay, I liked that even though it wasn't a romance, the romance was important to the plot, I liked that the bad ends were well telegraphed, and the 16 hours it took me was a pretty good length for me.

I ran through Sound of Drop yesterday and it was... okay, but I thought it was pretty poorly paced.

So like, hit me with those gay romance recs I guess.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I liked that it was straightforwardly gay, I liked that even though it wasn't a romance, the romance was important to the plot, I liked that the bad ends were well telegraphed, and the 16 hours it took me was a pretty good length for me.

I ran through Sound of Drop yesterday and it was... okay, but I thought it was pretty poorly paced.

Hmm, in that case you might like Ne no Kami as a supernatural action-adventure story with a major yuri subplot. It's pretty much a kinetic novel, though; there's one choice in part 2 and that's it, so if alternate ending options are important to you it's not really that kind of game. (Also, disclosure time again: this is another game I did QA work on, so I probably have an emotional attachment to it because of that, but I do think it's a good game on its own merits.)

If you want something sorta similar but with more choices, there's also Aoishiro, but that only has a fan translation.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Kindred Spirits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Thuryl posted:

Hmm, in that case you might like Ne no Kami as a supernatural action-adventure story with a major yuri subplot. It's pretty much a kinetic novel, though; there's one choice in part 2 and that's it, so if alternate ending options are important to you it's not really that kind of game. (Also, disclosure time again: this is another game I did QA work on, so I probably have an emotional attachment to it because of that, but I do think it's a good game on its own merits.)

If you want something sorta similar but with more choices, there's also Aoishiro, but that only has a fan translation.

I'll give it a shot, thanks.

Sakurazuka posted:

Kindred Spirits

Already read it. Not a huge fan.

LibrarianCroaker fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 5, 2018