Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Keru posted:

As always:
Missing the tiny little Bugs lifting his arms in triumph but we'll allow it anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Phy posted:

Missing the tiny little Bugs lifting his arms in triumph but we'll allow it anyway

Ha, I never noticed Bornholm getting stuck before.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Keru posted:

As always:

truth

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

tribbledirigible posted:

Ha, I never noticed Bornholm getting stuck before.

Bornholm can stay and be annexed by Blekinge.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Krankenstyle posted:

imo the problem is that the danish govt is fully retarded. obviously grønlændere & færinger want to fish and they shouldnt be denied because theyre a few people.

however, money told us to fish until there were no fish no more. and now they dont have fish either. gently caress.

Colonialism.txt

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

imo the problem is that the danish govt is fully retarded. obviously grønlændere & færinger want to fish and they shouldnt be denied because theyre a few people.

however, money told us to fish until there were no fish no more. and now they dont have fish either. gently caress.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
"I have to grab as much as I can before it's all gone" is sadly a recurring phenomenon throughout human history. That, and also "of course it's not going to run out, you think our puny efforts could possibly affect Nature?"

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

"I have to grab as much as I can before it's all gone" is sadly a recurring phenomenon throughout human history. That, and also "of course it's not going to run out, you think our puny efforts could possibly affect Nature?"

I cant find the exact quote (will keep looking when I'm not on mobile), but when limits on passenger pigeon hunting was proposed, one legislator claimed that it was impossible for guns to even put a dent in pigeon numbers, they were simply too numerous to ever go into decline.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Thomas Jefferson didn’t believe God would let animals go extinct. This wasn’t a kooky view at the time.

quote:

I cannot however help believing that this animal [megalonyx] as well as the Mammoth are still existing. The annihilation of any species of existence is so unexampled in any parts of the economy of nature which we see, that we have a right to conclude, as to the parts we do not see, that the probabilities against such annihilation are stronger than those for it.

https://www.monticello.org/site/research-and-collections/species-extinction

He was sure there were mammoths roaming the American West and urged Meriwether Lewis to be on the lookout for them.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 01:23 on Nov 5, 2018

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
That's putting it lightly he was obsessed with mammoths by accounts

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You might say “Thomas Jefferson Built This Country On Mastodons

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, well Jefferson Starship built their city on rock and roll

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Fun historical fact, Jefferson Airplane was a San Francisco band, and San Franciscans are proud of this, understandably.

But they consistently deny that Jefferson Starship is also from San Francisco. Understandably.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

A couple years ago when I was reminded this existed, I thought, man, Grace Slick must roll over in her grave every time this is played.

Then I found out a. she ain't dead, and b. she was still the singer for Starship when they recorded it. She's Bush-scale culpable.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship/Starship have a storied history.

One of their various comeback hits was virtually a rip-off of "Hold the Line" by Toto.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The extinction of the great auk (Pinguinus impennis) was greatly hastened by naturalists and museums who were in a rush to get a specimen before they went extinct. I don't know if the irony of it dawned on them

Fun fact, penguins are named after the great auk, because they too are black-and-white birds that swim well, can't fly and waddle awkwardly on land.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
re: Jefferson Starship:

https://www.gq.com/story/oral-history-we-built-this-city-worst-song-of-all-time

Gives us some background such as:

quote:

Grace Slick was the matriarch of the group, and everyone was focused on making her happy. She gave me very specific marching orders: “I want to make hits.” She told me she wanted to tour, make a lot of money, and then retire. That's how she put it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Member of successful '80s band: Our producer brought the demo to us. It's the most pussy thing I've ever heard. “Knee-deep in the hoopla”? Well, even Mark Twain wrote some bad prose. Don't quote any of this.

I have a notion that this band might have been Heart. Not sure why. Probably I read something about it a while ago.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Didn't they change it to Jefferson Starship as a tie-in to the Star Wars Holiday Special?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Nah, they changed their name in 1974/75 when they got back together a few years after Jefferson Airplane split and the Star Wars special was 1978. The original guitarist for Jefferson Airplane, Paul Kantner, had written a solo science-fiction concept album in 1972 or so called Blows Against the Empire (it won a Hugo Award) which featured most of the members of the band and that's what prompted them to get back together.

Jefferson Starship had a song called "Stairway to Cleveland" which just makes them seem like a far less ambitious Led Zeppelin. :v:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Hell, that's something that I could get behind.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nah, they changed their name in 1974/75 when they got back together a few years after Jefferson Airplane split and the Star Wars special was 1978. The original guitarist for Jefferson Airplane, Paul Kantner, had written a solo science-fiction concept album in 1972 or so called Blows Against the Empire (it won a Hugo Award) which featured most of the members of the band and that's what prompted them to get back together.

Jefferson Starship had a song called "Stairway to Cleveland" which just makes them seem like a far less ambitious Led Zeppelin. :v:

Oh, man. I learned this exact fact about a year ago from a music podcast. What still blows my mind is that their daughter became an MTV VJ while they were still active, and interviewed them while on MTV. Imagine having a super-cool job like an MTV VJ (in the '80s) and then saying, "Now an exclusive interview with my mom and dad."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Another "fun" fact about Starship: "We Built This City" era lead singer Mickey Thomas once got into a fight with their drummer at the time and was beaten up so badly he needed to have facial reconstruction surgery, which is why they stopped touring in the early 90s.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Another "fun" fact about Starship: "We Built This City" era lead singer Mickey Thomas

Oh hey I never knew that this was the same guy who did the theme song for the Rob Lowe/Patrick Swayze ice hockey movie Youngblood (also featuring Keanu Reeves):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxdQdumYuzk&t=11s

It's a bad movie but I love it very much.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Wrote this up for a response for Idiots on Social Media, thought I'd crosspost here and add a few details.

The headline is from 1947. It's part of Georgia's Three Governors Controversy.

Eugene Talmadge ran for the Democratic nomination for Georgia governor in 1946. By winning the primary, you were all but assured of being voted governor in the general election because Georgia didn't have a Republican presence at all. There might not have even been a Republican's name on the general election ballot. But Talmadge was ailing and his circle worried that he'd die soon. So there was a very quiet campaign to have voters to write in the name of his son, Herman Talmadge.

Eugene Talmadge was elected governor in November 1946. He died in December, before taking office.

Nobody knew what to do, especially since the state constitution (the last version of which was approved in 1945) did not consider the possibility of succession.

The brand new lieutenant governor - a post created in the November 1946 election - was M.E. Thompson. He thought he should be governor. Talmadge forces pointed towards the write-in votes for Herman. Ellis Arnall, who had been the governor, said he'd sit there until the matter was solved. Arnall had not been defeated. Georgia had in recent years barred governors from serving consecutive terms.

The General Assembly backed Herman Talmadge in mid-January 1947 on the grounds that he had the most write-in votes. Eugene's circle had hoped it would make a difference and for the moment, it did. 675 people wrote in Herman's name, though it was only six votes more than James Carmichael, who Eugene had beaten in the primary, despite Carmichael winning the popular vote. (Georgia used the county unit system, which was balanced to give significantly more voting power to the boatload of rural counties in the state over the actual populated ones.)

Both Herman Talmadge and Arnall set up their own governor's offices. Having for a moment enough support in the General Assembly, Talmadge was named governor and had changed the locks on the actual governor's office, so Arnall's office was at the information desk in the capitol. Arnall soon backed off and supported Thompson.

In early March, it came out that some of the write-in votes for Herman Talmadge were fraudulent. The dead voted for him in Telfair County. In alphabetical order. Some living people's names were also used to cast votes, without their permission. The Talmadges were from Telfair County, which made it pretty suspicious. The graphic from the Atlanta Journal highlights a section of the local newspaper, The Telfair Enterprise, claiming Herman received 29 write-in votes in the county. More votes were then "found," boosting his total to 77.

Georgia citizens had no way of knowing how many votes any of the write-in candidates were getting as Georgia did not make statewide results public until they were certified in December 1946. Someone obviously ran some math, though, and realized Herman needed more of a push.

No one ever got into any trouble for the Telfair voting fraud.

On the heels of this, Thompson was appointed temporary governor in March 1947. Herman Talmadge won the special election for the seat, which was held a year later.

RC and Moon Pie has a new favorite as of 16:37 on Nov 11, 2018

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 342 b.c. Alexander the Great held a drinking contest to honor the death of his personal philosopher Calanus. By the end 41 of the indian contestants had died of alcohol poisoning and the winner, a greek soldier named Promachus, died four days later after having consumed 13 litres of unmixed wine.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Any idea what prize Promachus got?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Alhazred posted:

In 342 b.c. Alexander the Great held a drinking contest to honor the death of his personal philosopher Calanus. By the end 41 of the indian contestants had died of alcohol poisoning and the winner, a greek soldier named Promachus, died four days later after having consumed 13 litres of unmixed wine.

Even back then they couldn't handle firewater

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That's only two and a half boxes of Peter Vella. Promachus is a lightweight.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kassad posted:

Any idea what prize Promachus got?

A golden crown worth a talent.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They were probably used to mixing their wine with water, the lightweights

Come boy, and serve me that rich vintage  
  The Old Campanian wine.
Pour me a strong drink. With more spirit  
  Better this bowl of mine.
Postumia the party-mistress  
  Full of more alcohol
Than these drunk grapes, demands as much.  
  It is her judgment call.
But you, weak water, great diluter,  
  Polluter of the vine,
Come nowhere near my grape-kissed lips  
  Nor touch this bowl of mine.
Be sobering with sober men,  
  And get out of my sight
For I will drink, and only drink   
  Red Bacchus straight tonight.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

What happened with the buffalo was less that and more an entirely different and depressing atrocity.

It was a tactical move by the US feds to try to drive the native populations into the reservation system, by systematically slaughtering their primary source of food (the buffalo) to starve them out of hiding from the mountains. Whatever gains could be had from the corpses was secondary, a lot of folks just hunted buffalo just to kill the buffalo for a sweet paycheck from the fed. So much so, that there was a temporary industry based entirely around going out into the plains and picking the recently deceased carcasses for things like bone and horn that can be processed into product because they were just left there.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Well, in fairness to the Greeks, we don't know just how alcoholic their wine was undiluted. Or we may do, there may be come historical records indicating their proof - but I don't have it readily to hand.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Samovar posted:

Well, in fairness to the Greeks, we don't know just how alcoholic their wine was undiluted. Or we may do, there may be come historical records indicating their proof - but I don't have it readily to hand.

And drinking 13 litres of anything in one setting will probably gently caress you up.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Samovar posted:

For some reason I want to say wine was fermented to 20% plus rocket fuel and watered down for normal drinking. Drinkable straight up came along when distilled cordials took over the boozie mixer space.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Up to 20% but not beyond, due to bacteria dying off at higher connections is what I've read.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

zedprime posted:

For some reason I want to say wine was fermented to 20% plus rocket fuel and watered down for normal drinking. Drinkable straight up came along when distilled cordials took over the boozie mixer space.
Considering they didn't understand yeast and didn't breed strains able to handle themselves to that %alc, I call BS. Only modern day bred for high alc yeast can handle 20% without dying themselves (E: and you'd have to baby it because it would run hot and short with fermentation being exothermic so it needs cooling to be kept happy)
Maybe 14% if you're lucky with some distasteful bacterias give it a 1-2% edge would be typical when making alcohol without understanding yeast or distilling.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 16:49 on Nov 12, 2018

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
With wild yeasts it is possible to get up to 20-21%, but it takes a long time and requires fueling. Since refrigeration wasn't a think I think it could be possible, one of those things where dirty technique could help.

I remember reading that ancient Greek wine wouldn't normally keep more than the year until the next vintage, which is why wines that WOULD keep were very valuable. And that some wine was pre-diluted, which would just give the existing yeast more chance to grow.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Seems strange to me, wild yeasts are usually sour and take a long time to come good, so they wouldn't be wines that couldn't keep. Pre-diluting is a terrible thing, the defence of your brew or must is the alc that yeast makes. Water it down before storage then bacteria takes over. (ask me how I know, popcorn is a hell of a thing to discover growing in your fermenter).
It's possible people diluted their wine because it was such a sour and off tasting drink, not because it was so strong in %alc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Fo3 posted:

(ask me how I know, popcorn is a hell of a thing to discover growing in your fermenter).

Tell me more!