Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Cabbit posted:

Let me rephrase: Jolt 2 was this dude's biggest damage source, and he cast it 71 times. I think he had in excess of 42k HP. I have around 38k HP and cast Jolt 2 like eleven times, and not because I was sitting on my hands or otherwise not casting.

I did like 4.1k, he did 4.4k.

I believe this dude to have been bad.

Edit:

Him:

Me:

This chart's supposed to look more like mine than his, right?

Why is his Riposte at 3% but his Redoublement at 7%? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
That'd do it. Having gear that's ~24% better would definitely outweigh the fact that half the time you were casting spells that were ~12% better (270 for Impact/Verstone/Verfire instead of 240 for Jolt II), even if you were also building mana somewhat faster.

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Shouldn't we have the preliminary patch 4.45 notes by now? I thought it came out in two days.

Non-major patch notes generally don't drop until after the servers go down for maintenance.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
I dunno, I ran arboretum hard with a red mage last night and I'm pretty sure it's supposed to look like this:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Basically yes you can play way better than someone but if they blunt forced their way into better gear first they will keep up with you.

If you're on Excal I can build you a 380 weapon with my eyes closed at this point, just to spite bad RDMs who also piss me off

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Alakaiser posted:

I dunno, I ran arboretum hard with a red mage last night and I'm pretty sure it's supposed to look like this:

They didnt use Enchanted Moulinet even once :frogsiren:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Alakaiser posted:

Every day, we stray farther from Hydaelyn's light.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

These BLM 50-60 quests are the laziest thing since hitting rocks with an axe.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Veks posted:

They didnt use Enchanted Moulinet even once :frogsiren:

I'm not a red mage player, but like. They didn't use Veraero or Verthunder.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Alakaiser posted:

I'm not a red mage player, but like. They didn't use Veraero or Verthunder.

If you're going to spam Scatter on dungeon groups, which I assume they were, then for the love of god use your mana on Enchanted Moulinet at the very least.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

LethalGeek posted:

Basically yes you can play way better than someone but if they blunt forced their way into better gear first they will keep up with you.

If you're on Excal I can build you a 380 weapon with my eyes closed at this point, just to spite bad RDMs who also piss me off

Sadly, I'm on Siren. It was the most populated server at the time with bonus XP.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Hit 70 MCH. Enjoy the class though I'm pretty bad at it. Made a glam. Like the glam. Used /gpose. Still not great with /gpose.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Since I mainly play rdm and am also a huge nerd, I tested just how important it is to be good at clicking buttons.

Clicking as well as I'm capable of, I did a baseline of 6782 dps on a training dummy. Then it was time to see how few buttons I could get away with:

4 buttons (Jolt II, Veraero, Fleche, Contra Sixte) - 5656 dps/83% potential. Not bad for something I could do on an NES controller.
3 buttons (Jolt II, Fleche, Contra Sixte) - 5327 dps/78% potential
3 buttons (Jolt II, Veraero, Fleche) - 5221 dps/77% potential.
2 buttons (Jolt II, Fleche) - 5078 dps/75% potential.
2 buttons (Jolt II, Veraero) - 4410 dps/65% potential.
1 button (Jolt II) - 3885 dps/57% potential. So I could actually play rdm with an Atari 2600 joystick and lose less than half of my damage.

In conclusion, someone with 24% better gear can actually match your dps with only 3 buttons. Also, I guess I should quit getting annoyed when I do something mildly sub-optimal like let an Impact proc expire given how little difference it makes.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

That all is assuming they are actually riding their GCD. In my experience people who can't be bothered to learn even the basics of their job usually lose dozens of GCDs over the course of a fight because they just straight up don't push buttons.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Is gear about to be obsolete again? I came back late to this patch and am still in half 390/380 and 350/360 gear and was wondering if I should buy crafted stuff to upgrade or just wait for whatever we're getting next.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Captain Cappy posted:

Is gear about to be obsolete again? I came back late to this patch and am still in half 390/380 and 350/360 gear and was wondering if I should buy crafted stuff to upgrade or just wait for whatever we're getting next.

This is the final tier for this expac, so grab some 390 gear and then you can upgrade it in 4.5, unless you run Savage to grab the 400 stuff first. It'll be obsolete somewhere around level 75-76 in the next expansion.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Do a normal mode Kefka as RDM and end up raising like four people: one commendation.

Do a normal mode Kefka as BLM without dying: three commendations.

Alright then.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
There’s something really amusing to me about revving up the monk’s final heaven limit break to use on Chaos from behind while he is revving up for chaotic dispersion on the tank.

ParliamentOfDogs fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Nov 5, 2018

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Cabbit posted:

Do a normal mode Kefka as RDM and end up raising like four people: one commendation.

Alright then.

Even when I save the party multiple times in 8-mans, I rarely get more than 1 commendation. as WHM. I did ON12 yesterday where I rezzed 8 times + used healer lb3 to save us from a wipe and got 1 commend, probably the other healer who died twice.

In contrast, if I goad on occasion and make it look like I’m doing work, my MNK will get 3-4.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cabbit posted:

Alright then.

I've carried exdrs where the healers are bad and die multiple times with me raising and becoming the healer and also using mana shift on the healer. And got jack for commends.

What is with this patch cycle and the bad healers? I have never dropped dungeons so often because the healers want to slack off. From scholars who want to just sit and have their faerie do everything to white mages to don't press any of their AOE abilities and single target heal.

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

Leal posted:

I've carried exdrs where the healers are bad and die multiple times with me raising and becoming the healer and also using mana shift on the healer. And got jack for commends.

What is with this patch cycle and the bad healers? I have never dropped dungeons so often because the healers want to slack off. From scholars who want to just sit and have their faerie do everything to white mages to don't press any of their AOE abilities and single target heal.
The scholar thing is you can do just that for a really long time and people are really lazy.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

TheShadowAvatar posted:

The scholar thing is you can do just that for a really long time and people are really lazy.

Can confirm every time I do levelling roulette I get frustrated when I have to stop DPSing. Alternatively, I focus too hard on DPSing and forget that maybe the tank is getting hit more than I expected and then I tune in when they reach 10% HP and have a minor panic attack.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
lol if you give comms to the most deserving people in the party.

I auto-slam in a comm to the person with any name or glamour that made me laugh. I also give comedy comms to people who die 15 times in a single trial. Failing that, I'll comm the cutest roegadyn

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ChickenWing posted:

Can confirm every time I do levelling roulette I get frustrated when I have to stop DPSing. Alternatively, I focus too hard on DPSing and forget that maybe the tank is getting hit more than I expected and then I tune in when they reach 10% HP and have a minor panic attack.

This is me.

Hey that tank's kinda low. Someone should do something about that. *continues to cast stone*

*tank hits 10%* Oh gently caress I'm the healer. *Slams Benediction, doesn't realize it's still on cooldown because the same thing happened 45 seconds ago, tank dies*

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Renegret posted:

*tank hits 10%* Oh gently caress I'm the healer. *Slams Benediction, doesn't realize it's still on cooldown because the same thing happened 45 seconds ago, tank dies*

same but slamming Lustrate after having used 3x energy drain just a few seconds ago

Physick-:f5h::f5:-Adlo

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Renegret posted:

lol if you give comms to the most deserving people in the party.

I auto-slam in a comm to the person with any name or glamour that made me laugh. I also give comedy comms to people who die 15 times in a single trial. Failing that, I'll comm the cutest roegadyn

If the tank or healer are spectacular (i.e. we all wipe but somehow the tank still holds out or the tank pulls the entire dungeon and somehow the healer keeps him alive) I'll comm them. Otherwise I'll comm the other dps, cause I (as a dps) don't get comms except randomly.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

ChickenWing posted:

same but slamming Lustrate after having used 3x energy drain just a few seconds ago

Physick-:f5h::f5:-Adlo

Mom: No healing until you eat your fairy!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Oh god, what does that one player with the macros calling their faerie "sweetie" have for using dissipation :gonk:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Leal posted:

Oh god, what does that one player with the macros calling their faerie "sweetie" have for using dissipation :gonk:

Something something vore fetish

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Man, this Fisher questline sure is laid back.

quote:

I assassinate people for money and use that to fuel my fishing habit!

O-oh, okay then.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Leal posted:

I must be in hell cause the only time I'm reminded this exists is in this thread.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

This is so good

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Maybe a dumb question: Do we have an idea/estimate for when 4.5 might drop? I dropped off a little after 4.3, thinking about coming back but tempted to just wait till 4.5 or something so I can get a nicer chunk of story at once. Apparently there's the fan-fest later this month? Any ideas what to expect out of that?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

Maybe a dumb question: Do we have an idea/estimate for when 4.5 might drop? I dropped off a little after 4.3, thinking about coming back but tempted to just wait till 4.5 or something so I can get a nicer chunk of story at once. Apparently there's the fan-fest later this month? Any ideas what to expect out of that?

Probably late January based on the general patch timing

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Jose Valasquez posted:

Probably late January based on the general patch timing

This is likely, yeah. We'll also probably get a timeline for the next half year of updates at Fanfest.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
These two loving chocobos have killed me more times than any boss.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I would expect the timeline to look something like:

Nov 17th (NA Fan Fest) - 4.5 Live Letter 1
Late Dec/Early Jan - 4.5 Live Letter 2
Late Jan - 4.5
Late March - 4.55
Mid-June - 5.0

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Baiken this time.

Bonus:

:chef:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
C- too many arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Hold me down and get someone else to free me from this burden. Then I truly will be just like my general.