Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Applewhite posted:

Dismissing an entire work of literature because it features a prominently distasteful aspect? I thought the analogy apt.

i want you to look me in the eye and tell me that you think the use of the word "friend of the family" in huckleberry finn, a work written in the late 19th century and deeply enmeshed in and engaged with the racial politics of its time, is comparable to sexy kids in the pseudomedieval pseudoceltic fantasy series from 1990

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i want you to look me in the eye and tell me that you think the use of the word "friend of the family" in huckleberry finn, a work written in the late 19th century and deeply enmeshed in and engaged with the racial politics of its time, is comparable to sexy kids in the pseudomedieval pseudoceltic fantasy series from 1990

I can’t and

Getsuya posted:

It’s a bad hill to die on.

So I won’t.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I will amend my recommendation of Jack Vance’s Lyonesse based on what is extremely valid criticism of some of its aspects.

I recommend the Lyonesse Trilogy to complentionist fans of the fantasy genre in the same spirit I recommend animation historians watch unedited classic cartoons from Warner Bros and Tex Avery despite the fact those cartoons contain disgusting racial caricatures that should not have been acceptable even in the time they were made. It is best read with a degree of academic detachment.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Applewhite posted:

I will amend my recommendation of Jack Vance’s Lyonesse based on what is extremely valid criticism of some of its aspects.

You're welcome :smug:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Before I even check the report queue on the mess above, aren't you actually a Jack Vance fan? I remember you saying positive things about him before.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Before I even check the report queue on the mess above, aren't you actually a Jack Vance fan? I remember you saying positive things about him before.

I don't recall praising Lyonesse.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I don't recall praising Lyonesse.

quote:

Navarth had become obsessed. He roved the garden, morose, dissatisfied, looking this way and that. He took no joy in the beauty of the garden and went so far as to sneer at Viole Falushe’s arrangements. “There is no novelty here; the pleasures are banal. There are no exhilarations, no staggering insights, no sublime sweep of mind. All is either gross or maudlin—the gratification of gut and gland.”

“This may be true,” Gersen admitted. “The pleasures of the place are simple and undramatic. But what is wrong with this?”

“Nothing. But it is not poetry.”

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

You do realize that Demon Princes and the Lyonesse Trilogy are different books, right?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

You do realize that Demon Princes and the Lyonesse Trilogy are different books, right?

Ehh, Vance's style, characters, and dialogue are so highly mannered that almost all of his stuff is interchangeable :P.. If you don't think people should read Lyonesse, but you still think they should read Vance, which Vance would you suggest they read?

That said, though, since now I'm contributing to the derail myself, I'll just share this general reminder: please everyone remember this is the recommendation thread, not the thread for extended discussions or debates.

quote:

Specific guidelines for everyone else:
  • If you aren't looking for a book suggestion or giving a book suggestion, why are you in this thread? Think Hard.

It's fine to say things like "hey, people might not like that book actually, because [reasons]," but too much back and forth clogs up the thread and gets in the way of the suggestion flow.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 4, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I recommend Caligula: Divine Carnage, an entertaining if a bit exaggerated pop history book.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Applewhite posted:

Unfortunately there is some of that

-Joe Paterno

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Somebody tell me about amazing true crime novels / story collections. Or fictional crime, either or. I want good writing and interesting/horrible events to read about.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Somebody tell me about amazing true crime novels / story collections. Or fictional crime, either or. I want good writing and interesting/horrible events to read about.

Tangential to this, is there a good book (or good books) about art forgery in English? I've read pretty much all there is about it in Finnish but it's pretty much introductory stuff.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jerry Cotton posted:

Tangential to this, is there a good book (or good books) about art forgery in English? I've read pretty much all there is about it in Finnish but it's pretty much introductory stuff.

There's one really neat biography of an art forger whose author then turned around afterwards and tried to become a literary forger:

quote:

After returning to Ibiza, Irving became friendly with Hungarian art forger Elmyr de Hory. The painter asked him to write a biography, which was published as Fake! (1969). Irving and de Hory are both featured in Orson Welles' film documentary, F for Fake (1974).[5][6]

. . .

In 1970, in Palma de Mallorca, Spain, Irving met with Richard Suskind, a longtime friend who was an author of children's books. They conceived a scheme to write Hughes' purported "autobiography". Irving and Suskind believed that, because Hughes had completely withdrawn from public life, he would never draw attention by denouncing such a book or filing a lawsuit for libel. Suskind took on the work of research in news archives. Irving started by enlisting the aid of artist and writer friends on Ibiza in order to create letters in Hughes' own hand, imitating authentic letters they had seen displayed in Newsweek magazine.[8]

. . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifford_Irving

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There's one really neat biography of an art forger whose author then turned around afterwards and tried to become a literary forger:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifford_Irving

Ohhh I know all* about De Hory and this I am going to look more into. Thank you very much :tipshat:

*) All that was in the last book I read.

e: Oh I should've remembered him from the movie as well.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Jerry Cotton posted:

The Cornish Trilogy (Rebel Angels, What's Bred in the Bone, Lyre of Orpheus) by Robertson Davies.

Unless you are looking more for history on the subject, in which case vOv

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Maul and the pear tree is a true crime novel by mystery writer P.D. James and might be what you are after.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

the only good true crime book is in cold blood

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

learnincurve posted:

The Maul and the pear tree is a true crime novel by mystery writer P.D. James and might be what you are after.

Radio Spiricom posted:

the only good true crime book is in cold blood

Two books I haven't read, and seem cool, and my library has 'em! Thank you!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Killers of the Flower Moon
Notes on a Kidnapping
The Fact of a Body
The Executioner's Song - This one owns the hardest read this or be a bitch forever

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Killers of the Flower Moon
Notes on a Kidnapping
The Fact of a Body
The Executioner's Song - This one owns the hardest read this or be a bitch forever

:cheers:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

two questions

why does your library still use dewey decimal system like a goddamn peasant
why does your library have a rudimentary understanding of narrative nonfiction

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

two questions

why does your library still use dewey decimal system like a goddamn peasant
why does your library have a rudimentary understanding of narrative nonfiction

1) I actually don't know about any newer systems?

2) Welcome to the Northern Country Library System, 65 libraries in upstate New York, most of them rural and one of them a prison. This is not the cutting edge of library tech.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

1) I actually don't know about any newer systems?

LCC or bust

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."
Dewey or die.

I worked as a book shelver in an Indiana library though so the peasant assessment isn't far off.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

StrixNebulosa posted:

The presentation might not be exactly what you're looking for, but Starr's The Killer of Little Shepherds is great. Tangential, but the My Favorite Murder podcast is a lot of fun and I always turn down whatever I'm doing when my lady puts it on.

VVV Fair enough; half the fun is that one of the women sounds just like Gina from Brooklyn 99, so I just imagine it's her talking.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 5, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

funkybottoms posted:

The presentation might not be exactly what you're looking for, but Starr's The Killer of Little Shepherds is great. Tangential, but the My Favorite Murder podcast is a lot of fun and I always turn down whatever I'm doing when my lady puts it on.

That killer must've hated Mass Effect a lot :v:

I've put it on hold at my library, thank you! I'm afraid I'm going to have to dispute your podcast rec, as that one has just never clicked for me. Thank you for trying, tho! (I prefer Small Town Murders and Casefile.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

The Cornish Trilogy (Rebel Angels, What's Bred in the Bone, Lyre of Orpheus) by Robertson Davies.

Unless you are looking more for history on the subject, in which case vOv

Well I don't mind novels about art forgery. However, after BingTMing a plot summary for Rebel Angels I can safely say it's not what I'm looking for.

e: Well that was quick. Apparently Rebel Angels and The Rebel Angels are very different things indeed.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well I don't mind novels about art forgery. However, after BingTMing a plot summary for Rebel Angels I can safely say it's not what I'm looking for.

e: Well that was quick. Apparently Rebel Angels and The Rebel Angels are very different things indeed.

Yeah, and teh second of the trilogy is more on point.

Fcuk I need to reread these myself

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any good books for thinking outside the box and increasing creativity?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Ulio posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Microdosing-...L70_&dpSrc=srch

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ulio posted:

Read more outside of your usual genres and also do more things outside. Getting new experiences helps a ton, imho.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I spent the longest time convincing one of my daughter that if she wanted to improve her manga then she would have to study and read about classic art, Dadaism, classical composers and so on. Read about the artists who were considered lunatics or visionaries and try and figure out why they were not just copying others and were able to create origional works.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
What about basic sketching and drawing?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

What about basic sketching and drawing?

That can teach you to draw, the hardest part is discovering what to draw.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Still life.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Most of my crime novels are here, and holy cow are In Cold Blood + The Executioner's Song good. Like, insanely well written and getting creepier as we approach the crime itself. I found myself settling in to watch the second half of the Shining yesterday, and I had to turn it off because I just wanted to read. Which says something, because that movie has been insanely compelling!

I had to return Killers of the Flower Moon due to its subject matter, though - I'm not emotionally ready to cope with the kind of racism that would let a serial killer get away with murdering Native Americans. The book itself seemed well-written, but at the moment it's not for me.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Most of my crime novels are here, and holy cow are In Cold Blood + The Executioner's Song good. Like, insanely well written and getting creepier as we approach the crime itself. I found myself settling in to watch the second half of the Shining yesterday, and I had to turn it off because I just wanted to read. Which says something, because that movie has been insanely compelling!

I had to return Killers of the Flower Moon due to its subject matter, though - I'm not emotionally ready to cope with the kind of racism that would let a serial killer get away with murdering Native Americans. The book itself seemed well-written, but at the moment it's not for me.

quote:

"The Executioner's Song" is also the title of a poem by Mailer, published in gently caress You magazine in September 1964
:prepop:

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Ulio posted:

"The War of Art" - Pressfield

"On writing" - Stephen King

They both pretty much say: "Put in your time, everyday. Hone your craft through years of diligent practice, no matter what and the creativity will come on it's own, your job is to be ready to capture / utilize / accept it when it shows up."

And in King's case, cocaine. Lots o' cocaine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Ulio posted:

The Art Spirit
Art and Artist by Otto Rank
Art & Fear