Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

DrBox posted:

It's an interesting style choice to go for way more realistic portrait and unit animations. The more 'cartoony' style seemed to be a hallmark of the game and carried over into WoW. It's especially funny when certain cut-scenes in the latest expansion had super over the top talking animations as a nod to War3 and Starcraft, and now this remake has gone totally the other way. Looks great though.

I wish they would do an HD remake of War2. I know the game play doesn't hold up or whatever but that's till my favourite. Nostalgia's a hell of a drug.

I have so much nostalgia for wcii even though I didn't play it until long after 3. Theres just something about the art style and voice acting that just keeps it fondly in my mind.

On that note, RIP all of the manly, unhinged jaws of warcraft 3. You will be missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

I have so much nostalgia for wcii even though I didn't play it until long after 3. Theres just something about the art style and voice acting that just keeps it fondly in my mind.

Warcraft 2 was my introduction to the Warcraft universe. I owe so much to it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
They went a bit too realistically proportioned with the graphics imo, the cartoonish expressiveness is gone. The uther remodel especially is so off (the hots model for uther is 100% perfect).

The remodels are extremely high quality and the movement looks fantastic. It just looks like a lot got lost, I expect especially when it comes to custom maps.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 3, 2018

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Wanna see the remastered version of the child in the Human campaign just be a slightly less polygonal version of the original.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
HOLY poo poo :awesome:

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Mercury Crusader posted:

Wanna see the remastered version of the child in the Human campaign just be a slightly less polygonal version of the original.

did someone photoshop goatse onto that holy poo poo

i replayed some campaign like a year or two ago and i don't remember that poor child looking that bad

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
You can already do the campaign co op. :v:

Its just a series of custom maps, and items don't carry over unless you like typing in long rear end codes, but 2p campaign is still totally a thing

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Zillions magazine posted:

i replayed some campaign like a year or two ago and i don't remember that poor child looking that bad

Kids are one of the worst but the knights really take the cake on ugly. Like holy poo poo there's being hit with an ugly hammer and then there's an ugly jackhammer like the knights.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Unlike SC1, Warcraft 3 still holds up today as-is, so this is exciting, but this feels like a really early announcement if they are planning December 2019.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Unlike SC1, Warcraft 3 still holds up today as-is, so this is exciting, but this feels like a really early announcement if they are planning December 2019.

Thats a legal or shareholder thing, thats the last possible date it can come out at.
Same thing happened with Legion, it had Dec date on it and it came out a few months earlier.
They will announce the proper date when they know better.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The biggest thing that concerned me was the in-game cinematics. In the original, Arthas disbanding the SIlver Hand was framed with him on top of a hill, looming over everyone else while covered in shadow. Now, its a bunch of lovely close-ups in full light while the models overact. The Mal'Ganis introduction and end of mission cinematics have similar issues.

I'm not expecting a release prior to the summer so I'm guessing everything will get touched up. Still looks like butt right now and I hope they don't value showing off every last pixel on the new models over decent cinematography.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Fanatic posted:

My guess is Blizzcon, since I don't think they have anything else notable to announce.

Called it. :D

Not sure how I feel about the new models so far. They need to work on making them more distinguishable.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I'm a little surprised they went for the more Diablo-y look for the characters rather than the HotS look I was expecting. They look better from above than they do head on, but then again so did the originals...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

1stGear posted:

The biggest thing that concerned me was the in-game cinematics. In the original, Arthas disbanding the SIlver Hand was framed with him on top of a hill, looming over everyone else while covered in shadow. Now, its a bunch of lovely close-ups in full light while the models overact. The Mal'Ganis introduction and end of mission cinematics have similar issues.

I'm not expecting a release prior to the summer so I'm guessing everything will get touched up. Still looks like butt right now and I hope they don't value showing off every last pixel on the new models over decent cinematography.
Yes, it doesn't look great. Almost no weight to anything and everything looks a bit floaty. Things being oversized to an exaggerated degree works in WC3 because the graphics are so simple and makes it clear to see. Here it's just really stupid to see Arthas shoulders, his massive styrofoam hammer and Jaina somehow not tipping forwards (slightly kidding but is it just me or do they actually increase her breast size everytime they make a new model of her?).

Sure it's not final but I don't think it's likely they'll make any major changes to the graphics style. Of course we just have to wait and see and, probably, be disappointed.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Grubby streamed this a bit from Blizzcon and said it feels pretty janky and not great at the moment. I'm sure it'll improve by the time a beta comes along.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Poil posted:

(slightly kidding but is it just me or do they actually increase her breast size everytime they make a new model of her?).

It's not just you. She has it REAL bad in HOTS.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

can’t wait until someone makes tides of blood in this.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kith posted:

It's not just you. She has it REAL bad in HOTS.

To be fair, part of that is because all characters are deliberately top heavy in HotS to be more recognizable.

It even effects the dudes in that game.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

can’t wait until someone makes tides of blood in this.

swat: aftermath

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Poil posted:

Yes, it doesn't look great. Almost no weight to anything and everything looks a bit floaty.

I read something about them being the exact same animations since it's totally backwards compatible. It looks strange with the new models. Really they should just have to make the start and end timings line up for the animations so there could be room for improvement.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
it's gonna be wild when mobas for the WC3 remaster overtake HotS in popularity

I'm really looking forward to playing Rival Nations, Castle Defense, and all those goofy Lord of the Rings maps again. Oh and that weird game, I forget what it's called, where you can choose to either create a single beefy hero or get to create a base and an army, and you go around beating up creeps until you get strong enough to take out other players.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Cephas posted:

I'm really looking forward to playing Rival Nations, Castle Defense, and all those goofy Lord of the Rings maps again. Oh and that weird game, I forget what it's called, where you can choose to either create a single beefy hero or get to create a base and an army, and you go around beating up creeps until you get strong enough to take out other players.

Footmen Frenzy?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Cephas posted:

Kings and knights?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I wanna see the 13th Vampire and the weird off beat team RPG maps like that get redone :swoon:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Cephas posted:

When the people who have never come across the WC3 custom scene meet the people who never left the WC3 custom scene, its gonna be bloody

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Zillions magazine posted:

Well, poor Little Timmy did end up getting turned into a ghoul.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Cephas posted:

I was just trying to figure out that game as well. It wasn't kings and knights, but was more RPG themed. There were different regions of the maps, some of which were clearly for building bases. Would that I knew it.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Fanatic posted:

Well, poor Little Timmy did end up getting turned into a ghoul.

Poor little Timmy survived Lordaeron's fall and sold Reverant summing items, then migrated to Theramore then immigrated to Stormwind to sell kitties then also became a ghoul again.

Can't keep a Timmy down.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

McTimmy posted:

Poor little Timmy survived Lordaeron's fall and sold Reverant summing items, then migrated to Theramore then immigrated to Stormwind to sell kitties then also became a ghoul again.

Can't keep a Timmy down.

Blizzard really need to confirm what is and isn't canon regarding Little Timmy because at this point it's got way out of hand! :derp:

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I feel like I'm the only person who just wants to play ladder again..

I never got into any of the customs, my friends play "Hellhole TD" a lot but I've never tried

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I saw a couple of concept art pieces for Warforged 3 models (like Maiev/Demon Hunter/Tauren Chieftain) floating around the internet, anyone has a source on where I could find these?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I wonder if they'll remove the 12-unit selection limit. They didn't for SCR, but the limit never felt integral to War3's balance the way it did for Brood War.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I just figure Timmy's a common name and there are a bunch of little Timmy's out there.

...The one in Stratholme in WoW wasn't quite so "little".

Cicero posted:

I wonder if they'll remove the 12-unit selection limit. They didn't for SCR, but the limit never felt integral to War3's balance the way it did for Brood War.

I can almost guarantee they won't - they've said Reforged will be able to play with Frozen Throne players the same way Starcraft Remastered players can play with regular Brood War players, which means that if they remove or increase the unit selection limit for Reforged, they would have to do so for Frozen Throne too, and I don't see that happening.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 5, 2018

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

FoolyCharged posted:

Kings and knights?

SOL RPG?

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
They might remove the unit limit if they can find a good UI solution for the OG version. Just because the two will be interoperable doesn't mean zero changes to regular Warcraft 3. They have already made balance changes this year and are promising ladder improvements. The argument for keeping annoying arbitrary control restrictions was stronger for StarCraft and how it plays. For War3 with the smaller unit count it shouldn't really matter much and is just a nice little quality of life tweak if you happen to want to grab 14 units instead of 12.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

DrBox posted:

They might remove the unit limit if they can find a good UI solution for the OG version. Just because the two will be interoperable doesn't mean zero changes to regular Warcraft 3. They have already made balance changes this year and are promising ladder improvements. The argument for keeping annoying arbitrary control restrictions was stronger for StarCraft and how it plays. For War3 with the smaller unit count it shouldn't really matter much and is just a nice little quality of life tweak if you happen to want to grab 14 units instead of 12.

From what Grubby said, much like SC:R it sounds like Blizzard are considering keeping gameplay elements 100% the same, such as control groups, body blocking, unit pathing and screen zoom.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Most of the time unit selection is not that big of a deal in Warcraft 3 because you are mostly microing your hero while your other units know how to keep formation on the move and autocast, and there's probably not more than two groups of units in most cases. Units in SC1 meanwhile have a hard time going from point A to B, making the gameplay "deep"

Name Change fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 6, 2018

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Most of the time unit selection is not that big of a deal in Warcraft 3 because you are mostly microing your hero while your other units know how to keep formation on the move and autocast, and there's probably not more than two groups of units in most cases. Units in SC1 meanwhile have a hard time going from point A to B, making the gameplay "deep"

Okay, but imagine having decent selection sizes on custom maps. Which given how people received wc3 isn't a thing you can ignore.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

FoolyCharged posted:

Okay, but imagine having decent selection sizes on custom maps. Which given how people received wc3 isn't a thing you can ignore.

finally a semi-coherent way to field my billion zombie armies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
a kotaku article is saying some of the missions will be changed and the story will be tweaked better to fit storyline decisions that occured in WoW

great