Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Weird random idea: if i make a sarcophagus room and freeze the whole room, does it work as a makeshift cryostorage for the bodies or will they deteriorate anyway? Trying to figure out a more elegant way to keep casualties or useful dead on ice till I can resurrect them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Viva Miriya posted:

wait what happens

Occasionally it will take over and either go on a rampage or just kind of do what it wants regardless of priorities.

It's kind of worth it though if you have an extra one though because it makes your pawn an ubermensch

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, that's really the kind of thing I was hoping for. For me, the game is too small-scale to be fun as a colony simulator, too fixated on keeping you stuck in one place to be fun as the squad-level combat tactics thingie it seems to try to be and just doesn't really have enough of an interactive or living world to make just interacting with people and factions as they come to you satisyfing. Having a reason to keep a home base and send exploration teams out or something like that would have gone a long way, but it doesn't seem to be a thing.

Good for everyone who is having fun with it as it is, I'm just not. Thanks for all the advice, anyway, I think I've gotten all the answers I needed.

Early in the game you should have gotten a message from a "friendly AI" that has a ship to get you off the planet.

Go to it. Or try. That sounds like it will be about as close to the depth you're looking for.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Viva Miriya posted:

Weird random idea: if i make a sarcophagus room and freeze the whole room, does it work as a makeshift cryostorage for the bodies or will they deteriorate anyway? Trying to figure out a more elegant way to keep casualties or useful dead on ice till I can resurrect them.

Anything below 0 stops decaying completely unless its unroofed. You could keep a corpse at -1C for eternity and itd be just as good as the day they died

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Danaru posted:

Anything below 0 stops decaying completely unless its unroofed. You could keep a corpse at -1C for eternity and itd be just as good as the day they died

In those wooden sarcophagi tho right?

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
On the ground, on a shelf, in a crate- as long as it's indoors and frozen, no decay.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Viva Miriya posted:

In those wooden sarcophagi tho right?

I have a dedicated section of my cooling operation just for corpses so my doctor can train on them (medi training bed mod). Just plop them on the floor it doesn't matter.

I played a lot of evil genius so I learned the benefit of a large freezer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah you can deffo just keep them on the floor but I would imagine that sarcophagi would keep in mind the ambient temp.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

DreadCthulhu posted:

Has there been any progress concerning making Rimworld more "player friendly" for those of us who don't want to micromanage *everything* about the game? I remember a year ago there were a ton of decision to be made about task prioritization that I wish the game had done for me. I'm curious if any options were introduced to outsource those entirely to the game.

Depends what you're referring to. Do you consider setting task priorities in the UI that the pawns automatically follow to be micromanagement? Because that's all you should have to do, occasionally you might have to step in and tell someone to prioritize for an emergency but by and large once you set up priorities pawns will handle their business without any interaction from you. If you find yourself constantly manually prioritizing work that's a sign you didn't set your automatic priorities properly.

The big newbie trap is that the default system for this is almost useless and basically requires switching to the advanced priority system where you set numbered priorities for each task, if that's not what you want then yeah the game isn't going to work out for you probably. It's pretty quick and painless to set up once you get some practice with it though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The whole game is basically setting up your pawns to work efficiently in terms of work allocation and area design, if the game did that for you it would almost play itself.

The work priority manager is a necessary element because what you want people to do depends on who you have, what your goals are, where your colony is, and even things like time of year. There's no way the game could figure out what you want in that regard.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rimworld is absolutely many times shallower than Dwarf Fortress. It's really a game with a story spurred by procedurally generated, non-sequitor events. It doesn't attempt anything even close to the scale of Dwarf Fortress, where literally everything happens for a reason, pretty much. On the other hand, due to its (marginally) better graphics and (marginally) better UI and (incredibly) improved moddability, it's a great title for people who find DF impenetrable but still want to experience that style of gameplay. I understand the dude's issues, because I pretty much stop playing it after every new release when my base gets to the point where I feel like I've done everything there is to do.

On the other hand, I hear Save Our Ship is updated to 1.0, so I might just take all the people I like from my existing base, escape with them, and use that to start a new one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Saying that rimworld has an only marginally better UI and graphics than DF is selling it extremely short. DF may have everything happen for a reason but that reason is utterly inscrutible and/or impossible to glean from the information you're presented with, to the point that it swings back around to being random. Rimworld does a comparatively excellent job of establishing concepts and showing how they affect the player.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm just glad Tynan never decided to add a Z-axis to Rimworld. I genuinely miss the simplicity of Dwarf Fortress back before the Z-Axis. The Underground River>Chasm>Magma River>Adamantine>!!FUN!! layout was good.

Heck, imagine if Rimworld had an optional map design like that where the Adamantine was replaced by Plasteel (and was the only source of it) or something.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

What? I miss the z axis...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I don't. You could do some neat stuff in it I guess, but the perspective used by DF and Rimworld isn't really suited for it. Maybe if they were isometric games.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Why's the end goal to get off the planet, anyways? Sure, if your landing spot is a real shithole there might be no reason to stay, but if you have a nice secure base with stable food supply that's all but impenetrable to raids why bother leaving?

On a different note, I got my first toxic fallout event and man it sucks. I'm feeling a distinct lack of tools to control movement restrictions though they probably exist if I start looking for mods, there's a handful of stuff that does exist in vanilla but they're too micro heavy for my taste.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

OwlFancier posted:

Saying that rimworld has an only marginally better UI and graphics than DF is selling it extremely short. DF may have everything happen for a reason but that reason is utterly inscrutible and/or impossible to glean from the information you're presented with, to the point that it swings back around to being random. Rimworld does a comparatively excellent job of establishing concepts and showing how they affect the player.

Not really. I played DF for a long time. It has a pretty strict cause -> effect to the point that the megabeasts that show up to terrorize your fortress were actually generated when the world was created, are actually defeated in the world history when you kill them, and won't invade at all if you generate a world where they all died before you made your fortress. Rimworld's UI stinks of "first draft, never touched again" to the point that it wasn't updated at all during the beta, just expanded on when food restriction was added. That's why there's so many UI mods out there that improve upon it.

DF is difficult to get into because ASCII "roguelike" graphics can seem impenetrable. It's not actually impossible to glean information from its UI, and it has a very extensive wiki explaining everything in the game. Rimworld basically just pulls poo poo out of thin air to tell a "story." Its actual strength is in emergent gameplay (like DF), but it makes that gameplay emerge by throwing darts at a board in real time rather than having everything boil down from procedurally generated starting conditions, unlike DF. Everyone who plays the game basically finds the "storytellers" to be little more than a nuisance, and the non-Randy ones to be tiresomely predictable, preferring to find their fun in collecting the colonists they prefer from raids and going out into the world to finish quests and invade places. No one with more than 20 hours in the game gets a toxic fallout event and thinks "wow! this is so emergent!"

The important difference between things happening for a reason and things happening randomly is that, once you figure out why they're happening, the ones that happen for a reason remain interesting and the ones that happen randomly become boring, and usually irritating.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah I'm enjoying rimworld right now but feel very constrained by the building limitations. I want to make hundred foot tall towers drat it.

Also there's an isometric viewpoint mod for df I think.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

isndl posted:

Why's the end goal to get off the planet, anyways? Sure, if your landing spot is a real shithole there might be no reason to stay, but if you have a nice secure base with stable food supply that's all but impenetrable to raids why bother leaving?

On a different note, I got my first toxic fallout event and man it sucks. I'm feeling a distinct lack of tools to control movement restrictions though they probably exist if I start looking for mods, there's a handful of stuff that does exist in vanilla but they're too micro heavy for my taste.

All you need to do is draw out a movement area in the tool menu, so that it covers all your roofed areas, and then assign that to your pawns as their allowed area.

Presto changeo, you have fallout free colonists.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

McGiggins posted:

All you need to do is draw out a movement area in the tool menu, so that it covers all your roofed areas, and then assign that to your pawns as their allowed area.

Presto changeo, you have fallout free colonists.

Doesn't help the Muffalo too dumb to come back inside after grazing. My haygrass hasn't come in yet. :downs:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Not really. I played DF for a long time. It has a pretty strict cause -> effect to the point that the megabeasts that show up to terrorize your fortress were actually generated when the world was created, are actually defeated in the world history when you kill them, and won't invade at all if you generate a world where they all died before you made your fortress. Rimworld's UI stinks of "first draft, never touched again" to the point that it wasn't updated at all during the beta, just expanded on when food restriction was added. That's why there's so many UI mods out there that improve upon it.

DF is difficult to get into because ASCII "roguelike" graphics can seem impenetrable. It's not actually impossible to glean information from its UI, and it has a very extensive wiki explaining everything in the game. Rimworld basically just pulls poo poo out of thin air to tell a "story." Its actual strength is in emergent gameplay (like DF), but it makes that gameplay emerge by throwing darts at a board in real time rather than having everything boil down from procedurally generated starting conditions, unlike DF. Everyone who plays the game basically finds the "storytellers" to be little more than a nuisance, and the non-Randy ones to be tiresomely predictable, preferring to find their fun in collecting the colonists they prefer from raids and going out into the world to finish quests and invade places. No one with more than 20 hours in the game gets a toxic fallout event and thinks "wow! this is so emergent!"

The important difference between things happening for a reason and things happening randomly is that, once you figure out why they're happening, the ones that happen for a reason remain interesting and the ones that happen randomly become boring, and usually irritating.

In DF's case however all of that is rendered irrelevant because your militia fired all their arrows during training and nothing told you that you ran out so everyone died.

DF is inscrutible for gameplay purposes because its interface is utterly terrible. Rimworld communicates all pertinent gameplay information quite effectively and does not incluce extraneous systems or mechanics which serve only to overcomplicate the game beyond the interface's ability to display it. DF absolutely does not do this having an interface woefully ill equipped to portray even the basic 3d nature of its world as well as the level of complexity involved in getting dwarves to do basic actions.

And sure, perhaps that lack of information and the effects it has can be funny to read about sometimes, but it is terrible game design.

It pulls events out of the air because why they happen is irrelevant, they happen to elicit gameplay effects and the gameplay effects are the focus of the game. Dwarf fortress simulates a lot of poo poo which is, for the most part, irrelevant to the game. If your map has goblins you get goblin raids, doesn't matter if it simualtes them travelling from wherever place you'll never visit with a million years of procgenned backstory to it, functionally it just drops goblin raids on you and you die to them because the interface for getting people to do basic tasks is awful and you won't even know what happened unless you scroll through pages of combat reports.

Rimworld spawns goblin raids depending on what storyteller you use and makes it clear what they do and how you fight them from day 1 because that's what the interface is centred around. It displays information pertinent to the scope of the gameplay and does so effectively. When people shoot you see if they hit and you can get a good gauge of how the combat is going just by watching. And after a short time you can start predicting how enemies will behave and use tactics to improve your odds. This is the core of the game along with similar visual observations applied to the production side, you look at what your pawns do and try to make it more efficient if you notice inefficiencies, while designing your base to make sure they're happy in the process and all three aspects; mood management, production, and combat, tie together strongly into what is basically "environment management" where you are trying to engineer a space which fulfils your colonists' needs while being functional both in production and defence. And the interface is very well put together to show that. What you see on the screen at all times gives you a very good idea of what you need to change. In DF you need to go through a zillion nested menus to be able to see very important things such as "how much food do I have" or "do my dwarves have weapons" or use a bloody external program to get even a basic visual representation of how your colony's skill levels are set up.

Dwarf fortress's interface is indefensibly poor and borders on nonfunctionally ineffective, which is why dwarf therapist exists. Rimworld by contrast displays almost all its most pertinent information on screen at all times and the menus are there only to change settings, and even then they're laid out quite sensibly. About the only interface complaint I have are that the stockpile lists get difficult when you have millions of mods installed, though I can't really say that's a problem with the base game and I'm not sure how you would improve it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 5, 2018

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
It makes no difference to me, as a player, whether the dragon that's attacking my settlement was procedurally generated during world gen or just spawned on the map. Particularly if the only way I can find out about it is to read through a wall of text explaining what happened during world gen. World building is only valuable to me from a gameplay perspective if I have some agency to affect it. If I can send out hunting parties to kill all the dragons and stop the raids? That's useful. If the dragons are just sort of always there offscreen and will show up randomly no matter what I do, there's no functional difference between that and saying "it's time for a dragon raid so spawn a dragon now". DF has a lot of interesting storytelling ideas that have absolutely no gameplay impact whatsoever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

isndl posted:

Because the developer looked at colony building games and thought that it was silly that they very rarely shipped with any kind of goal or end game, there is no way to complete them, you just play until you get bored. So the point of Rimworld is to solve that. It gives you an objective, to get as many people off the planet as possible, and the colony builder aspect is a vehicle towards that goal. This is also why most of the storytellers try to kill you, they are literally trying to force you to either move your colony closer to the ship, or build your own and leave the planet.

This is in conflict with basically everyone who has played any other kind of colony builder though because everyone else expects a game that you just play until you get bored. The game has never locked out that playstyle but it has kept its focus during development on the goal oriented way of playing it. It's also not entirely unique, surviving mars does a similar thing where you get 100 days to achieve a goal it sets you and you get scored on how well you do, it's meant to be played with that in mind against a soft time limit. There's also the really old management campaign games where each level sets you a time limit usually to achieve a certain goal. It inherits quite a lot from that style of game and similarly there's a large contingent who prefer to play freely despite the developers trying to give you set goals to achieve.

But that's why, basically. That's the game's win condition and the dev wanted to make a game with a win condition rather than one without.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 5, 2018

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I've always described Rimworld as about half the crunch of DF but only 1/10th the jank.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is there a mod that makes more workbenches reinstall-able?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A few, I use "Minify Everything"

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=872762753

it allows even things like doors to be moved (not unreasonably) although sometimes this provokes an exception and it may result in some unexpected bugs. Generally just moving a workbench is fine although it will often throw an exception if there are active bills being worked or the like.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

What is up with daily jail breaks if you have more than a couple of prisoners :shrug: I don't see any way to customize that other than just disable prison breaks entirely, which is lame.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Flesh Forge posted:

What is up with daily jail breaks if you have more than a couple of prisoners :shrug: I don't see any way to customize that other than just disable prison breaks entirely, which is lame.

Are they all in one location/room? Try splitting them up.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Imprison them into separate cells

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If you've got that many, I assume you're holding onto them for sacrifice purposes?

In that case, talking to them is irrelevant, stick a few in crypto sleep caskets. You're a tribal starter though, so I figure you can't make them, but if an ancient danger has some it can be dual purpose once it's cleaned out.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

They are in separate cells, rather nice ones (5x4 each) because I haven't dug out a proper prison yet :shrug:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

OwlFancier posted:

In DF's case however all of that is rendered irrelevant because your militia fired all their arrows during training and nothing told you that you ran out so everyone died.

Right, because I've never sent my colonists out to do battle with raiders with no weapons because nothing told me they had all dropped them and not picked them back up after they got out of the hospital. The only way to fix this is to download the Moody mod which lists every weapon your colonists each have so you can keep track of them without individually clicking on all your colonists and checking to make sure they're armed. There's also no UI in Rimworld for assigning a weapon to a colonist permanently, unlike DF, which has an extensive militia screen giving you control over what your soldiers wear and wield by default (and also lets you set up training regimens for them, unlike Rimworld).

Rimworld's UI is pretty dogshit. I play with like 10 UI mods that make it more bearable. It's better than DF, yes -- that's an incredibly low bar. But only marginally, not anything to write home about; it's a less complex game so obviously there's going to be less digging around in menus to do things. What really makes Rimworld exceptional is the fact that I can download 10 UI mods to fill in the gaps Tynan didn't bother improving upon, which is what I mean when I say it has incredibly improved moddability. I think vanilla Rimworld is an inferior game to DF; it has less gameplay, less content, and less freedom at a lower FPS with the same map size and same number of colonists/dwarves. If I could only mod Rimworld as much as one can mod DF I would have dropped it in early 2017. The ability to mod it so easily and extensively to expand on content and usability is what really makes it an exceptional game.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

They are in separate cells, rather nice ones (5x4 each) because I haven't dug out a proper prison yet :shrug:

If you're feeding them well, keeping the cells nice, and keeping them separated, it really just comes down to bad luck. I've had my fair runs of improbable events, but that's the thing with probability: just because it has an incredibly low chance of happening doesn't mean it won't.

Just don't do something stupid like invest your life savings into a gamble on prison breaks or whatever.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Right, because I've never sent my colonists out to do battle with raiders with no weapons because nothing told me they had all dropped them and not picked them back up after they got out of the hospital. The only way to fix this is to download the Moody mod which lists every weapon your colonists each have so you can keep track of them without individually clicking on all your colonists and checking to make sure they're armed. There's also no UI in Rimworld for assigning a weapon to a colonist permanently, unlike DF, which has an extensive militia screen giving you control over what your soldiers wear and wield by default (and also lets you set up training regimens for them, unlike Rimworld).

Rimworld's UI is pretty dogshit. I play with like 10 UI mods that make it more bearable. It's better than DF, yes -- that's an incredibly low bar. But only marginally, not anything to write home about; it's a less complex game so obviously there's going to be less digging around in menus to do things. What really makes Rimworld exceptional is the fact that I can download 10 UI mods to fill in the gaps Tynan didn't bother improving upon, which is what I mean when I say it has incredibly improved moddability. I think vanilla Rimworld is an inferior game to DF; it has less gameplay, less content, and less freedom at a lower FPS with the same map size and same number of colonists/dwarves. If I could only mod Rimworld as much as one can mod DF I would have dropped it in early 2017. The ability to mod it so easily and extensively to expand on content and usability is what really makes it an exceptional game.

You can also use Simple Sidearms to permanently assign weapons to pawns, even if you don't use the sidearm functionality. They will automatically re-equip their assigned weapon as soon as they're able to walk after being downed.

I really don't think that Rimworld's UI is only "marginally" better than DF. Unless it's improved significantly in the past couple of years, which I doubt, Rimworld absolutely blows it out of the water even in vanilla when you compare the ease of the most basic tasks like base building and checking pawn status, not to mention job assignments. I stopped playing DF because I simply couldn't stand the absolutely molasses like pace of trying to accomplish the simplest tasks when compared to Rimworld and Toady's absolute refusal to optimize the UI even slightly. Also, lower FPS? On what computer? I've literally never seen a framerate drop in Rimworld, ever.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Gadzuko posted:

Also, lower FPS? On what computer? I've literally never seen a framerate drop in Rimworld, ever.

How many hours do you have and have you ever gotten past 7 colonists? DF becomes unplayable at like, 200+ dwarves, whereas Rimworld at 3x speed becomes unbearable at just 20 colonists, dropping to a pretty steady 20FPS with a healthy amount of visual stuttering.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I just had a raider wahoo a sloth corpse and say yeah that's all I wanted peace bros :byewhore:

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

I just had a raider wahoo a sloth corpse and say yeah that's all I wanted peace bros :byewhore:

What

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

Flesh Forge posted:

Take their legs. They can have new ones back later if they're better behaved.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I have a limbless colonists in one of my old games who lived fulltime in a bed in the workshop to keep an eye on the prisoners and keep them working.

I was gonna recruit some of the prisoners to make them limbless watch-colonists as well, for the kitchen and the quarry, but never got around to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

McGiggins posted:

I have a limbless colonists in one of my old games who lived fulltime in a bed in the workshop to keep an eye on the prisoners and keep them working.

I was gonna recruit some of the prisoners to make them limbless watch-colonists as well, for the kitchen and the quarry, but never got around to it.

This is gruesome and amazing :allears:

Which mod lets you use prisoners for labor?