Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Libluini posted:

Just after laughing my rear end off after noticing an empire already suffering from losing planets to both nanite invaders and a machine uprising decided to use a Colossus to blow up their own planets I saw I had played 16+ hours this weekend. My life is already devoured

Yeah but at least the fanatic purifiers I've been sharing my southern border with are extinct. Not sure what to do now. I found an ether Drake to the east, but other than that I guess it's time to turtle and tech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I did AdMech awhile back but played them as a machine intelligence, so not very thematically :/. Still have them saved though.

E: Did Ultramar too! That one I did do thematically.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 4, 2018

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Yeah titanic life is one of those events that can go badly (most of the negative outcomes got removed/modified a while back), but if you're prepared it isn't too bad. The upsides when it succeeds are pretty decent, especially with the way war score works (one of the results is you getting some kaiju).

That screenshot doesn't look end-of-the-line, with 600 energy you can soak -8 for a while, and you could turn off some labs for extra energy if needed.

Are you using a bunch of edicts? Your grabbed space seems small for what you've got in the bank and shipwise, so I'd think maybe you're spending a bit too much influence on early edicts. In general I'll use one round of map the stars but as a new player I'd just leave edicts alone while you're in the initial land-grab phase of expansion.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Sometimes bad events happen in 4x games. Its pretty standard? :shrug:

In the future, if you're at negative energy you could scrap some ships, or turn off planetary buildings temporarily (reclaiming their energy maint cost), or set up a trade deal with a neighbor if you've met any.

oh sure, i get that now. i'm just not usually not much for 4x or strategy games because I get caremad like that when things go seemingly irrevocably wrong

anxiety i guess :shrug:

I'm also thinking of dropping the AdMech conceit until I know the game better and just going full materialist instead of full spiritualist, or even some other empire entirely

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

You can't go wrong with just going materialist with a bunch of +mineral ethics/civics and doing the synth route, probably the easiest choice and what I did at first.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Luminous Cow posted:

Yeah but at least the fanatic purifiers I've been sharing my southern border with are extinct. Not sure what to do now. I found an ether Drake to the east, but other than that I guess it's time to turtle and tech

Man, that was my plan from the very beginning, until Mr. Dumbass Enslaver Empire ripped open the Gates of HelL and the flood of death fleets then set off multiple galactic wars. Now that things are somewhat back under control, I've literally ran out of time to play. The weekend was too short. Now it's back to work. :suicide:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Also if you go xenophile and/or with the charismatic trait it's pretty easy to make some friends and have defensive pacts, so you won't have to go to war until you're ready for it. When you've got powerful friends you can just stumble around doing whatever and get the hang of thing at your own pace.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Going with both charismatic and xenophile is basically easy mode. All the xenophobic assholes will still hate you, but everyone else will range between neutral and loving you.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

oh sure, i get that now. i'm just not usually not much for 4x or strategy games because I get caremad like that when things go seemingly irrevocably wrong

anxiety i guess :shrug:

I'm also thinking of dropping the AdMech conceit until I know the game better and just going full materialist instead of full spiritualist, or even some other empire entirely

Here is a setup for big research materialist. I've listed out some options, sort of 'pick your flavor of what you want to focus more on'. Stuff I haven't really gone over (traits mostly) are up to what you are interested in.

Fanatic Materialist: -20% robot upkeep, +10% research, living standard option (pop setting) for another +10% research, edict option for another +10% research

Militarist: Nice bonus during war. Opens Citizen Service civic (+15% fleet cap, +1 unity on stronghold building), Nationialistic Zeal (-10% claims/war exhaustion).
Xenophobe: Cheaper expansion, cheaper war claims.
Pacifist: Only really decent if you're wanting to play inward perfection pacifist-materialist-xenophobe. (+20% unity, +25% pop growth, +5% happiness, +10% edict duration, bunch of 'no diplomacy' stuff).
Eagletarian: Decent influence gain when you're making factions happy, can't use auto-cratic govts. Opens Beacon of Liberty civic (+15% unity).

Take Mechanist for civic #1, this gives you 2 robots at the start, another -5% robot upkeep, and 2 techs (robots and the pre-req, which gives +5% minerals). Robots get +10% mining, but you need to build them manually. This lets you have solid income off your mines even if you stuff your main race with weak intelligent natural engineers.

Mining guilds is always a solid option, just a straight +10% minerals, though corporate dominion is fantastic once you're used to it (can build colony ships with energy instead of minerals).

If you take hot planets for your homeworld you'll tend to get more energy tiles, cold planets get more minerals, wet planets get more food.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Here's a thing I've never really figured out despite 200+ hours in this game:
Late game, when you're swimming in resources and sectoring everything away, it's not really an issue, but early on I sorta force myself to build the correct building for each tile, upgrading every lab according to the specific scientific resource. Is there a better way to do buildings? Do you guys build agro worlds early on, upgrade labs to whatever you want and whatnot? Build unity/unique buildings wherever and whenever?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I have a mechanic or theme question:

If I want to create an empire that want to hold all manner of aliens as slaves or even have other empires as vassals, should I make them xenophobe or xenophile next to authoritarian.

The obvious answer to me was xenophobe, but since I'm actively seeking out other races to join me (even as slaves) it makes me think that is closer to xenophile and that ethos might make things better, but I'm not sure how the factions will react to that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Black Griffon posted:

Late game, when you're swimming in resources and sectoring everything away, it's not really an issue, but early on I sorta force myself to build the correct building for each tile, upgrading every lab according to the specific scientific resource. Is there a better way to do buildings? Do you guys build agro worlds early on, upgrade labs to whatever you want and whatnot? Build unity/unique buildings wherever and whenever?
Every planet gets every unique + a bunker, ideally on matching or blank tiles. If there's no matching or blank tiles things get sacrificed in the order single food - single science - double food - gently caress this planet. Then everything else gets placed matching the appropriate tile. If there's the +50% minerals modifier I'll also cover the remaining single food or single science tiles.

God, LeGuin can't come fast enough.

It occurs to me that orbital deposit generation must have been completely rewritten for LeGuin, which is good because it was loving obtuse.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bholder posted:

I have a mechanic or theme question:

If I want to create an empire that want to hold all manner of aliens as slaves or even have other empires as vassals, should I make them xenophobe or xenophile next to authoritarian.

The obvious answer to me was xenophobe, but since I'm actively seeking out other races to join me (even as slaves) it makes me think that is closer to xenophile and that ethos might make things better, but I'm not sure how the factions will react to that.
You'll take a 20 faction hit for enslaving aliens, but caste system works fine. "Of course aliens can be full citizens! Must be their fault none of them actually are..."

I can't wait for LeGuin's new, less slave obsessed authoritarians.

Does anyone else think more factions should mean more influence? Not a linear increase, but if one faction means a max influence of 2 maybe two factions should cap out at 2.5 total, 3 at 3 etc. If you actually manage to keep multiple factions happy you should be rewarded for that.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Splicer posted:

God, LeGuin can't come fast enough.

I know right. But yeah, what you said makes sense. I'm doing fine either way, but having a more concrete idea about placement streamlines the gameplay and improves automation in my head in a useful way.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Ciaphas posted:

In one of my previous games as materialist humans, I got the (rare) event which unlocks psionics for materialists, and it ended with my leader attaining immortality from the Warp, declaring herself Empress, and my population wanting to make her a god as I desperately tried to maintain materialism as the accepted position in my empire.

Thankfully the game doesn't model the Horus Heresy* so the Truth survived.

If you want to do that as a materialist:
there's a rare anomaly you can find on ocean worlds called "Drops in the Ocean", if you send a scientist with the paranoid trait to research it, they will gain the psionic speciality. You can get a paranoid scientist by random chance when they level up, or you can do the anomaly "Rainbows in the Dark" found in black holes, which makes the scientist studying paranoid. Psionic techs are society techs and roll rarely, however materialists have a fixed zero chance to roll the gateway tech, Psionic Theory, unless they have a psionic expert leading society research.

*Though I did feed my home star to an eldritch being from beyond time and space for the sake of love so I guess I kinda birthed Slaanesh.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Pre-habitats I do mostly the same as above unless playing a bad-boy. Bad boys needs as much production as fast as possible on harder difficulties so unless the tile has ec everything becomes minerals and unity buildings. And in space science is completely skipped in favour of minerals until ec runs out then more ec.

Once habitats come about worlds become either ec generators or mineral generators with research being offloaded to habs until late game.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Black Griffon posted:

My first five planets are usually built according to what's on the tiles, with blank tiles mostly going to labs. When upgrading labs, I go with whatever field currently has the least production to keep them roughly equal. I feel like society tech is rarer in space so my early labs usually are biolabs.

There's two exceptions to that, though. If the area I'm starting in is very sparsely populated, or my neighbours are pacifists, I'll rely on mining stations for minerals and energy and try and build as many labs as I possibly can, keeping just enough energy and food to sustain them. That allows me to zoom up the tech tree much faster.

The other exception is when I'm planning to do biological ascension. Because genetic templating is done on a planet-level basis, I plan ahead and build mineral worlds, energy worlds, agri worlds right from the start so I can just upgrade the entire planet's production when the time comes. I try to maintain an even-ish ratio early on, with one planet each for food, energy and minerals, and one planet each for physics, society and engineering (so 3 labs planets for every 3 resource planets). That's not always feasible right from the start when you might run low on energy or food and have to put a farm on your science planet or something, but once things stabilise I go back and replace those buildings with the world-appropriate ones. After the first six colonies are done, I start deciding what sort of world I want at the point of founding a new colony by asking questions like "Do I have enough energy or food to sustain a few more planets" and "am I running low on minerals constantly". When I'm doing this I tend to give my planets a name to remind me what they're for early on (e.g. an energy world called Coulomb).

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I'm still a little child, a baby, who plays on low difficulty because the main appeal of the game is the roleplaying. That also lets me gently caress around with impractical ship designs made to look cool beyond anything else.

And related to the roleplaying aspect, I'm in that mode where I'm starting new empires after an hour of play because I get new ideas for what I want to play. I've seen two cruisers so far, and one of them was from an anomaly (love getting a ship with twice the fleet power of my actual fleet half an hour into the game).

And I've gotta learn to accept that small galaxies are okay too, thousand star realms get tedious after a while.

This loving game.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

This is real good, thanks.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Rynoto posted:

Pre-habitats I do mostly the same as above unless playing a bad-boy. Bad boys needs as much production as fast as possible on harder difficulties so unless the tile has ec everything becomes minerals and unity buildings. And in space science is completely skipped in favour of minerals until ec runs out then more ec.

Once habitats come about worlds become either ec generators or mineral generators with research being offloaded to habs until late game.

I tend to move all my energy production into space, too, and just turn 3/4 planets into massive strip mines with the other 1/4 growing all the food.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Another quick question, since it seems I have skipped the latest patch cycle is scaling difficulty worth playing with or it comes with issues?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Bholder posted:

Another quick question, since it seems I have skipped the latest patch cycle is scaling difficulty worth playing with or it comes with issues?

Scaling difficulty is absolutely awful. It starts the AI with zero bonuses even on the hardest difficulties. And by the time scaling comes in they're completely hosed.

If you still want scaling you want the Dynamic Difficulty mod. It has an option for scaling that stacks the bonuses on top of whatever default difficulty you choose. Tons of other great options too.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

So what I did on my current playthrough is did my home planet according to tile, then an energy planet, agriplanet, and then research planets because I am focusing hard on research as nerd aliens. Is this bad? It's working for me so far, but I'm on normal difficulty.

This is the first playthrough I've actually stuck with to the point that marauders show up. They stole a bunch of pops I'm purging anyways so it's ok but their fleet was much stronger than both of mine put together. Is that normal?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It used to be that edicts could be more powerful on single output type planets, but since they removed those then you are better off building to your resource deposits where possible, to maximise your total output, but alternatively you can use planets to tune your production.

If you want to output everything then build to your tiles, if you want to increase output of a specific thing, then build that thing.

So there is no benefit to building an all farm planet if you also build an all mineral and all energy planet, you would be better off mixing the three based on tile yields.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

If you're using sectors then specializing is still useful for some planet types. You've got several specialized leaders: food, science, slaves, ships. You've also got planetary modifiers which run the entire range of production. If you don't have a planet modifier and no pressing needs then building to tiles and filling blanks with what you need is fine.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

OwlFancier posted:

It used to be that edicts could be more powerful on single output type planets, but since they removed those then you are better off building to your resource deposits where possible, to maximise your total output, but alternatively you can use planets to tune your production.

If you want to output everything then build to your tiles, if you want to increase output of a specific thing, then build that thing.

So there is no benefit to building an all farm planet if you also build an all mineral and all energy planet, you would be better off mixing the three based on tile yields.

Energy Nexuses and Mineral Processing are still planetary, and governors can still have traits which affect tile output (making it advantageous to put those governors in charge of single resource planets). Also modifiers like Good Quality Minerals.

Also as mentioned, if you're planning to genemod in traits like thrifty or industrious, it's much easier to do so when you can just mod everyone on one planet to be industrious and everyone on another to be thrifty instead of having to carefully micro pops about to ensure that the thrifty pops are on power plants and the industrious ones on mines.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Reveilled posted:

Energy Nexuses and Mineral Processing are still planetary, and governors can still have traits which affect tile output (making it advantageous to put those governors in charge of single resource planets). Also modifiers like Good Quality Minerals.

Also as mentioned, if you're planning to genemod in traits like thrifty or industrious, it's much easier to do so when you can just mod everyone on one planet to be industrious and everyone on another to be thrifty instead of having to carefully micro pops about to ensure that the thrifty pops are on power plants and the industrious ones on mines.

The processing plants are easy to build on any planet, though yes something like a planetwide +20-50% mineral output is a good reason to make that all mining.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Yeah I did an energy planet second because I'm always very energy limited in the early game, and I got lucky and found a habitable planet with beltharian stone and quite a few energy tiles. That planet powers my empire now. Then I was very food limited so I made an agriplanet. Then I just kind of took off and now very few other empires are equivalent to me.

I wonder just how different the world building in 2.2 will be. Pretty excited to be done with tiles already.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

OwlFancier posted:

The processing plants are easy to build on any planet, though yes something like a planetwide +20-50% mineral output is a good reason to make that all mining.

Sure, you can build them on any planet, but if you do six mixed planets vs six single resource planets, you've spent twelve tiles in the mixed example to build the boost buildings vs two tiles if you're building a mineral world and an energy world. If you have slavery and need to include the slave processing facility, now you're at eighteen tiles vs five (since that's for food too). Of course you don't necessarily need to build the boosts on every world but that could very well negate the bonus you'd get from following the tiles. But the boosters do cost more than an equivalent normal production building so it doesn't always make sense to build them on smaller planets, unlike when you're focused on one resource.

I'm not saying building to the tile bonuses is wrong, but I don't think the tile bonuses make a meaningful difference in production over the advantages from having to only build one of each booster, compounded with governor bonuses to things like research. I think they more or less even out.

You're better off just building the way that feels most comfortable to you.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Luminous Cow posted:

So what I did on my current playthrough is did my home planet according to tile, then an energy planet, agriplanet, and then research planets because I am focusing hard on research as nerd aliens. Is this bad? It's working for me so far, but I'm on normal difficulty.

This is the first playthrough I've actually stuck with to the point that marauders show up. They stole a bunch of pops I'm purging anyways so it's ok but their fleet was much stronger than both of mine put together. Is that normal?

To answer the second question, yes, marauders are intended to be very very difficult to beat until you get into midgame.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Reveilled posted:

Sure, you can build them on any planet, but if you do six mixed planets vs six single resource planets, you've spent twelve tiles in the mixed example to build the boost buildings vs two tiles if you're building a mineral world and an energy world. If you have slavery and need to include the slave processing facility, now you're at eighteen tiles vs five (since that's for food too). Of course you don't necessarily need to build the boosts on every world but that could very well negate the bonus you'd get from following the tiles. But the boosters do cost more than an equivalent normal production building so it doesn't always make sense to build them on smaller planets, unlike when you're focused on one resource.

I'm not saying building to the tile bonuses is wrong, but I don't think the tile bonuses make a meaningful difference in production over the advantages from having to only build one of each booster, compounded with governor bonuses to things like research. I think they more or less even out.

You're better off just building the way that feels most comfortable to you.

I mean there's two booster buildings and you're going to want to build one on most planets, and the booster buildings themselves have +2/+4 output.

So you're losing like, what, 3 or so units a month as opposed to putting a normal extractor there at the very endgame or something? Compared to a planet's worth of inherent tile output for that resource at +20%?

I don't see how it's ever going to make sense to pave over half a planet's worth of energy output in order to avoid building an energy nexus on two planets instead of one.

The energy/mineral boosters have only slightly lower output than their normal mine/power equivalents and they boost all output by 20%, there's no way in hell you're going to lose out by building both on every planet with energy/mineral tiles unless the planet is absolutely tiny.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 5, 2018

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The threshold on both buildings is low enough that it really doesn't matter a whole lot if you place it or not; IIRC a planet needs to only be making ~15 minerals before a mineral processing plant is able to replace the output of a mine placed instead and anything after that is just a bonus. Low enough that after the early game it doesn't make a difference.

The energy nexus I can't remember the calculation at the moment but because after you finish the Prosperity tree is produces unity you should always build one regardless of what else is on the planet since unity is much harder to produce than energy (and unity can later be used to increase energy production).

It won't really matter any more in a few months though so go nuts with them while you still can.

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The threshold on both buildings is low enough that it really doesn't matter a whole lot if you place it or not; IIRC a planet needs to only be making ~15 minerals before a mineral processing plant is able to replace the output of a mine placed instead and anything after that is just a bonus. Low enough that after the early game it doesn't make a difference.

The energy nexus I can't remember the calculation at the moment but because after you finish the Prosperity tree is produces unity you should always build one regardless of what else is on the planet since unity is much harder to produce than energy (and unity can later be used to increase energy production).

It won't really matter any more in a few months though so go nuts with them while you still can.

The only situation in which an energy nexus or mineral reprocessing plant is not a better use of a tile than a mine or power plant is if you are only going to put a single mine/power plant on the planet, and its not going to be put on a deposit.
Or if you're putting a single mine on your capital in the late-game, but don't do that, fill your capital with research labs instead.

So basically, always build them.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The death of tiles cannot come soon enough.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The death of tiles cannot come soon enough.

yeah i'm already finding that poo poo far more arduous than the ship designer

actually about to sit down and try again after an entire afternoon playing another addictive numbers game (diablo 3 :v:), ready for some advanced crimes against sapience gently caress yeah

... actually i feel kinda squicky doing the slavery or even caste system thing though, even in RP. like these loving bits and bytes are judging me for my personal morals and ethics. anyone else get that? :ohdear:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Then play the Star Trek Humans/Federation types!

Or Rogue Servitors and bring happiness and Mandatory Pampering to the galaxy!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

... actually i feel kinda squicky doing the slavery or even caste system thing though, even in RP. like these loving bits and bytes are judging me for my personal morals and ethics. anyone else get that? :ohdear:

Totally. I've tried playing fanatic purifiers and it doesn't work for me. Even abstracted and compartmentalized to the absolute extreme, I just do not want to genocide people.

That said, back before they changed how the Unbidden worked, I was willing to let them rampage across half the galaxy before stepping in to squish them and recolonize all the planets they'd scoured. We're none of us perfect.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Then play the Star Trek Humans/Federation types!
diplomacy is boooriiiing

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Or Rogue Servitors and bring happiness and Mandatory Pampering to the galaxy!
this however sounds pretty needs-suiting :v:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Rogue Servitors are the best gimmick. Forcefully spreading ~freedom~ with militant egalitarian xenophiles is also quite fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Rynoto posted:

Rogue Servitors are the best gimmick. Forcefully spreading ~freedom~ with militant egalitarian xenophiles is also quite fun.

lmao wait is that second one literally the Super Democracy governance of HELLDIVERS, because i am all the hell about that too

also does "Rogue Servitor" have a specific meaning besides "happykillbot 2000 species", i can't tell anymore what in this game is a directly named mechanic and what isn't :v: