Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Number of friends who've punched/slapped Tomoko rises again today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And again it is entirely deserved and avoidable

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
so world trigger is a never ending tournament arc?

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
50% squad based battles
50% talking about said quad based battles

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Relin posted:

so world trigger is a never ending tournament arc?

occasionally theres an alien invasion or something.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Nah, it has a bunch of very good arcs that have nothing to do with tournaments. Its just that the hiatuses began in the middle of the big squad battle tournament arc, so it has been stuck for like several years on it and that kinda leaves a lasting impression. A bit like "are they still on boat?" for Berserker.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there are two big alien invasion arcs, one right before they start the tournament stuff and another in the middle of it. if you're starting the series now like i did, it's probably helped a lot by being bingeable since i didn't really mind the tournament stuff.

also it's basically at the tail end of the tournament now

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was reading that Gotoubun manga people mentioned earlier (I'm at chapter 20), and I feel preemptively bad for Miku, since she's totally doomed. Also, Itsuki and Nino seem like basically the same character, only Nino has the tsun turned up a few notches in comparison with Itsuki. I don't really give a poo poo about Yotsuba and Ichika is alright but doesn't work as a romantic option.

I also think that Itsuki and Nino are the only ones with a chance of being the recently-mentioned ~girl from the past~. Normally I'd place Itsuki as the obvious "winner," but Nino has been clearly pushed as the "most difficult" which is also important in terms of figuring out these things.

I think one of the things that seriously bugs me about most harem series like this, which We Never Learn mostly averts, is that it's impossible for me to not feel terrible for all the obvious "loser" characters. I can't see an outcome (that isn't terrible, like an actual "harem ending") that doesn't end in a way that is really depressing to most of the "loser" characters. We Never Learn has avoided this partially by only have two characters who are actually romantically invested in the protagonist to any significant extent (swimmer and glasses). It also helps that We Never Learn is primarily a humor manga, while this feels like it's primarily romance.

edit: Okay it seems like this might actually have a "he ends up with all of them" ending, which would be very dumb. Also I retract Nino being a contender; she is clearly not The Girl From The Picture. Itsuki is obviously the main girl.

edit2: Okay, Nino gets a lot of credit for actually subverting the typical "lol he didn't hear the confession" trope and just repeating it. It's a shame that's she's also probably doomed. Also, now that I'm caught up, I'm genuinely confused about who the girl in the picture is. Normally I'd say Itsuki, since she's the obvious choice for "main girl," but that doesn't seem to fit.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 3, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sensei gonna win.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

chumbler posted:

Senpai gonna win.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if sensei doesn't win she will be found a year after yuiga leaves for college, buried under a pile of garbage in her apartment.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

And again it is entirely deserved and avoidable

Akane saving Tomoko from being 'bullied' by Yoshida only to drag her back after finding out what Tomoko did to start it is probably still my favorite chapter.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
now i'm re-reading world trigger from the start, and i can't believe i forgot about my favorite team, team 'ladies who look cool as hell in the rain'.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Worst dad gets worse.
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/86/page/1

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

A Fumino triple chapter, wow.

Also yeah, think I know who wins bad dad award.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Holy loving poo poo, call the cops on this dude :mad:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Don't marry STEM men remains true.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, no, called it wrong in Franxx, called it wrong in here.

Dood's an rear end-hat of the greatest order and I hope he gets his.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 4, 2018

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Kill fuminochis dad! :black101:

It feels weird that they have 2 problems to overcome. The slapping away home work shame and the dream chasing.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

So... About that chapter 1 joke... Not so funny in hindsight.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ibblebibble posted:

A Fumino triple chapter, wow.

Also yeah, think I know who wins bad dad award.
Three Fumino chapters, or 86-chapter long Fumino manga?

Mulderman posted:

Oh dear god no, my heart. :( What a god awful dad.

Also Nariyuki's sister's gimmick is poo poo and like the one glaring unnecessary thing in the series but she is cute. His other siblings have the right idea though, hurry it up Nariyuki.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

decided to give world trigger a try and now that I'm all caught up with it, gotta say that it's pretty fun. the team battles are great

feel for people who were following it when the hiatus hit

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

In the couple of early We Can't Study chapters I read some jokes were made about the sister being romantically interested in her brother. I thought they were just jokes. Then I got distracted and stopped reading and only remembered the series again with this chapter. Turns out they weren't jokes.

Does anyone know what's up with Japan and incest fetishes? Like, is this a real thing that gets traction over there? I mean I assume it is since it pops up so frequently.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
It's a trope that has spiraled out of control for decades now.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

decided to give world trigger a try and now that I'm all caught up with it, gotta say that it's pretty fun. the team battles are great

I like the character designs and mannerisms in World Trigger also; they have a very distinct feel to them.

Galvanik posted:

Does anyone know what's up with Japan and incest fetishes? Like, is this a real thing that gets traction over there? I mean I assume it is since it pops up so frequently.

I think(/hope) that it's only propagated by people without siblings, who just vaguely think of it in terms of "girl who lives in your house."

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Galvanik posted:

In the couple of early We Can't Study chapters I read some jokes were made about the sister being romantically interested in her brother. I thought they were just jokes. Then I got distracted and stopped reading and only remembered the series again with this chapter. Turns out they weren't jokes.

It dates back to an old practice where land-owning families with too many sons (don't wait to keep breaking the land into smaller and smaller pieces) would have one of them adopted by another family for the explicit purpose of marrying into that family. So you'd have a brother and sister being raised together, and then later getting married, but it's okay because one of them is adopted!

Naturally this is then depicted in stories, which influence culture for generations, even long after the actual practice itself has died out.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Three Fumino chapters, or 86-chapter long Fumino manga?

Ultimately I'm a Rizu stan so this is just a slightly-longer-than-normal sidequest to me :colbert:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Coaaab posted:

It's a trope that has spiraled out of control for decades now.
Which one of the guys from Genshiken explained perfectly because:

Kanji Sasahara posted:

I can vouch that they are a result of fantasies by people who don't actually have a little sister! :colbert:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mulderman posted:

:smith: That's sad.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Manatee Cannon posted:

The hiatus stunk because it gave me a fun helping of HxH anxiety, but from the author's injury it seemed like it was never coming back. I felt so bad for the author because of how much potential the story had and it was horrible timing because World Trigger had an anime going that was actually enjoyable (Toei aside) and popularizing the manga. It even had a filler arc that worked really well!

It's charming and unique with good execution and honestly, all the goofy plot points in the setting are pretty easy to suspend disbelief for because of that. Mostly because the author did a decent job of giving the reader pretty good expectations for when the plot does eventually open up. I'm going to reread it soon so I'm pretty hyped for wherever the story is going to go now! It'll probably keep moving super slow but hey, I never expected to see any new content at all.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

The best part about World Trigger coming back was that they jumped right back in. No recap or action heavy chapter in order to capture interest of new readers. Just BAM! Straight back into a full length talky talky chapter. Because damnit, that's what works for this series and this is what the fans expected.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I like the character designs and mannerisms in World Trigger also; they have a very distinct feel to them.

yea that's true. the facial expressions kinda remind me of kekkaishi/birdmen in a way

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I like the side cast in WT because even though I can't really remember their faces they all have casual quirks and mannerisms that really help distinguish them, and you get lots of fun banter within and between groups. It feels makes the whole place feel a lot more lively and somewhere where people congregate, rather than just a setpiece where the main characters happen to be at.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is Seraph of the End still worth getting into? I read a handful of chapters ages ago but kind of fell off it due to being busy. I liked it but no reason to get re-invested if it took a huge nosedive or whatever.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kyte posted:

I like the side cast in WT because even though I can't really remember their faces they all have casual quirks and mannerisms that really help distinguish them, and you get lots of fun banter within and between groups. It feels makes the whole place feel a lot more lively and somewhere where people congregate, rather than just a setpiece where the main characters happen to be at.

Yeah, I couldn't distinguish them when I first read WT, and then I reread it a while back and now I know who most of them are.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The Piwi spin-off ends.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is Seraph of the End still worth getting into? I read a handful of chapters ages ago but kind of fell off it due to being busy. I liked it but no reason to get re-invested if it took a huge nosedive or whatever.

It hasn’t really taken a nosedive it’s about what it always is though you will have to have a high tolerance for the word family in the middle chunks. As it’s repeated a lot. It cools down a bit later but man.

Also Micheal or whatever loving sucks as a character because he is so single minded.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

birdmen updated

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/birdmen/en/0/46/page/1

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Mashima literally writes like some deep learning algorithm that had every 90's battle shounen and ecchi manga thrown into it.

EXPOSITORY CHARACTER: AH, YES. THIS CONVERSATION WE'RE HAVING REMINDS ME OF THIS SPECIFIC NUMBER OF ADDITIONAL MAIN CAST MEMBERS AND MCGUFFINS WE MUST COLLECT TO START THE FINAL ARC.
Everyone Else: i have no idea what you're talking about but i won't ask you to actually explain any of the important stuff you kinda alluded to in case we decide to change stuff later
New Main Cast Member: I have arrived but my motivations are entirely unclear. This does not matter because your leader is shounen lead archetype, "Happy Idiot who wants friends"
Villains: We're just cartoonishly evil, we'd normally kick a puppy or something here but the additional non-shounen data we have indicates we must imply something rapey and maybe make the female lead's boobs pop out
Female Lead: Kyaa!! I'm helpless since we're not enough arcs in for me to have the weakest badguy with a nametag to get an unsatisfying win against!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Spoilers, man!

But seriously, knock it off already, Mashima.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 7, 2018