Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

In a basement underneath. You just stand in that fancy looking place next to the AE2 panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The ultimate in high-tech decadence, that.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Designing something that both looks decent and fits my machines and poo poo without just sticking them into random corners is my true Minecraft bane.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Another Sigma could be a lot of fun with the new combat mechanics.

Dungeon and magic mods have gotten more and more homogenous over the past few versions, it's a shame that the witches mod developed by an 8 year old and their parent didn't carry over to today. I would still lose dozens of hours in Sigma again if it had custom loot tables to counteract the constant "Great, 5 gold ingots" of dungeon crawling.

edit: Sigma on a server with hardcore darkness and that siege mod would be a hell of a ride

Eox fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 5, 2018

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Black Pants posted:

Designing something that both looks decent and fits my machines and poo poo without just sticking them into random corners is my true Minecraft bane.

The problem I have is that I think about cool designs, think about how big I need to make them to look cool, be functional, you know, look nice and lived in. Then I remember that math is a thing and my fun design meant to fit in a 4x4 chunk space would require roughly 60-64 stacks of [insert good looking material that's far more cumbersome to get than cobble] just to get the floor down, to say nothing of roofs, walls, floors for multiple stories and all other types of silliness.

And then I build my 11x11x4 Cobblestone box and then cry.

jack_squat
May 7, 2007
Don't expect much.

My first alveary. Possibly the most time-consuming, laborious thing I've done in Minecraft since cleansing the entire map in Blightfall. And yet, the experience was oddly relaxing.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Super Jay Mann posted:

The problem I have is that I think about cool designs, think about how big I need to make them to look cool, be functional, you know, look nice and lived in. Then I remember that math is a thing and my fun design meant to fit in a 4x4 chunk space would require roughly 60-64 stacks of [insert good looking material that's far more cumbersome to get than cobble] just to get the floor down, to say nothing of roofs, walls, floors for multiple stories and all other types of silliness.

And then I build my 11x11x4 Cobblestone box and then cry.

Sounds to me like you need to increase your production line.

MFR Lasers, mystic crops, or environmental tech's void miner. "If you can build 1 you can build 10, if you can build 10 you can build a thousand"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

One of the things I wish Minecraft did better is to let you “shoulders-of-giants” your house. Incomplete or broken down structures like ruined castles or abandoned mansions or waterfall caves let you build something by following a vague pattern that already exists, which is a lot easier than starting completely from scratch. That’s why it’s kind of a shame that you need to pull in mods that add structures in order to do this, and none of them are designed for this exact use case.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

One of the things I wish Minecraft did better is to let you “shoulders-of-giants” your house. Incomplete or broken down structures like ruined castles or abandoned mansions or waterfall caves let you build something by following a vague pattern that already exists, which is a lot easier than starting completely from scratch. That’s why it’s kind of a shame that you need to pull in mods that add structures in order to do this, and none of them are designed for this exact use case.

You can find a village and murder the inhabitants to get some good starting structures.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Pollyanna posted:

This got me thinking about an idea where you could 'earn' unlocked wings of a castle. You'd have to encase it unbreakable blocked off areas to avoid people expanding early, or building in an area that might get repopulated unexpectedly.

That could be a fun way of gating quest rewards, kind of like the FTB pyramid modpack - feed in enough Wood to show that you've mastered trees, unlock a wing with a few machines already set up for the Cobblestone era, figure out how to start it up, add power if necessary, add hoppers/pipes to get stuff automated again, then feed in enough Cobble to start the Iron Ore stage in the next wing.

You could leave notes to give hints on what machines need to get filled in to the gaps, but still leaves some options for creativity. It could be styled as more of a puzzle/teaching thing ala BFSR.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rutibex posted:

You can find a village and murder the inhabitants to get some good starting structures.

I could but I won’t because I’m not a fuckin’ monster

Devor posted:

This got me thinking about an idea where you could 'earn' unlocked wings of a castle. You'd have to encase it unbreakable blocked off areas to avoid people expanding early, or building in an area that might get repopulated unexpectedly.

That could be a fun way of gating quest rewards, kind of like the FTB pyramid modpack - feed in enough Wood to show that you've mastered trees, unlock a wing with a few machines already set up for the Cobblestone era, figure out how to start it up, add power if necessary, add hoppers/pipes to get stuff automated again, then feed in enough Cobble to start the Iron Ore stage in the next wing.

You could leave notes to give hints on what machines need to get filled in to the gaps, but still leaves some options for creativity. It could be styled as more of a puzzle/teaching thing ala BFSR.

That sounds super nifty. Though, the wings would have to either be different dimensions, since players otherwise have full control over literal space, or conceptual areas like unlockable tech, which would just be a typical skyblock map.

Maybe rather than unlocking them, the goal is to create them by following a pattern of some sort. In Minecraft, you can theoretically do anything - the real question is, what should you do?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Pollyanna posted:

Maybe rather than unlocking them, the goal is to create them by following a pattern of some sort. In Minecraft, you can theoretically do anything - the real question is, what should you do?

That's a cool idea - there's the Blueprint mod that the Craft of the Titans used to create your starter house - assuming you can make multiple different blue prints, you could let someone plunk down a new wing. I remember it being super-possible and easy to overwrite stuff, though.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I've been thinking about getting another small server going for a few friends, but I haven't Minecrafted since 1.7.10 was popular.
What's a decent (medium footprint) server pack these days? Computers and generators and magic etc. would be nice.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Devor posted:

That's a cool idea - there's the Blueprint mod that the Craft of the Titans used to create your starter house - assuming you can make multiple different blue prints, you could let someone plunk down a new wing. I remember it being super-possible and easy to overwrite stuff, though.

I got my mittens on this when I was trying to assemble a new BFSR. The starter houses can put a lit tunnel down with a ladder to Y=12, and stuff everything it finds in a chest at the bottom. It looked like a great way to get around some starting BS.

My fuss with it is that most of the other structures are barely useful in vanilla and kind of crap in a modded environment. The acacia house--the intermediate house--came across to me as the better of the two intermediates due to having a useful basement, the right amount of space for a Cooking for Blockheads kitchen, and a loft that could hold some crap. The advanced houses weren't too useful as-is. I was looking into how hard it would be to convert the other structures; basically just gut them out to make room for machines. All the houses only use vanilla blocks so are limited in their presentation.

I would wish there was a mod like that where I could place down copies of a structure I made but I haven't found one. I am not entirely surprised because block migration and management is kind of a pain in the rear end; people complaining on GitHub because their blueprint didn't transfer from pack A to pack B would probably take up most of the reported issues.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I got my mittens on this when I was trying to assemble a new BFSR. The starter houses can put a lit tunnel down with a ladder to Y=12, and stuff everything it finds in a chest at the bottom. It looked like a great way to get around some starting BS.

My fuss with it is that most of the other structures are barely useful in vanilla and kind of crap in a modded environment. The acacia house--the intermediate house--came across to me as the better of the two intermediates due to having a useful basement, the right amount of space for a Cooking for Blockheads kitchen, and a loft that could hold some crap. The advanced houses weren't too useful as-is. I was looking into how hard it would be to convert the other structures; basically just gut them out to make room for machines. All the houses only use vanilla blocks so are limited in their presentation.

I would wish there was a mod like that where I could place down copies of a structure I made but I haven't found one. I am not entirely surprised because block migration and management is kind of a pain in the rear end; people complaining on GitHub because their blueprint didn't transfer from pack A to pack B would probably take up most of the reported issues.

The Building Gadgets mod lets you do this, actually -- you can build a structure and copy it to a blueprint, which can be copied and pasted via clipboard to the internet. The only downside is that it can't place anything that's a tile entity, so machines are out of the question.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

KingLemming posted:

So, I wrote a thing about how I'm a ridiculous perfectionist and am never happy with my own work so I threw everything out and am starting over:

http://teamcofh.com/posts/2018/11/02/the-new-thermal-series/

I mean, not quite. But that's kinda what I'm doing. :P Literally just got the Furnace working again.
I really like the idea of adjacent 'companion' blocks - someone described, relatively recently, mods like Thermal as having 'custom multiblocks' where unlike IE/Thaumcraft/etc, you're still doing multiblocks to get your automation down, but unlike those, you get full control over where everything is placed.

Can I make one request, if it fits how you're thinking about changing the mod? I'd love for a single block 'chest' type transport; as much as ducts can be useful, the one thing I always wind up building in EnderIO whenever I can is the item buffer; it's just really nice to have a full block space that I can pull/push from multiple sides that has a small inventory inside as well. It's not crazy useful, but there's just something nicer in small builds for me using that over ducts. Totally your call, your mod - it's just a really nice, underutilized block to have, and I'd like to not wind up installing EnderIO just for it in future packs.

Gerdalti posted:

I've been thinking about getting another small server going for a few friends, but I haven't Minecrafted since 1.7.10 was popular.
What's a decent (medium footprint) server pack these days? Computers and generators and magic etc. would be nice.
Enigmatica 2, don't bother with the expert mode. It's got most of the cool mods nowadays and loads faster than stuff like All The Mods; it doesn't have everything but it's got a bunch of tech mods and a bunch of magic. There's also a quest book if you're stuck working out what you wanna do next.

Wungus fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 5, 2018

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ak Gara posted:

Sounds to me like you need to increase your production line.

MFR Lasers, mystic crops, or environmental tech's void miner. "If you can build 1 you can build 10, if you can build 10 you can build a thousand"
If lag and performance weren't so bad with most modded packs this wouldn't be an issue, but as it is, it really makes me wish mods would invest in 'condensed' or upgraded block versions more. Instead of making me build 100 separate machines each eating however many ticks of lag individually, let me just build one 100x mega machine that only takes up one tile entity. I so distinctly remember Agrarian Skies and how one of the hottest protips was to completely block off your cobblegen area so that it wouldn't be visually loaded and thus wouldn't tank performance.
Would also me with my inability to place wires/pipes efficiently.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Whalley posted:

Can I make one request, if it fits how you're thinking about changing the mod? I'd love for a single block 'chest' type transport; as much as ducts can be useful, the one thing I always wind up building in EnderIO whenever I can is the item buffer; it's just really nice to have a full block space that I can pull/push from multiple sides that has a small inventory inside as well. It's not crazy useful, but there's just something nicer in small builds for me using that over ducts. Totally your call, your mod - it's just a really nice, underutilized block to have, and I'd like to not wind up installing EnderIO just for it in future packs.

It sounds like you're describing the Item Allocator, a TE block. Have you used it?

Gerdalti posted:

I'm working on making a new version of Progress, if you're into that. It'll probably be a week or two.

I recently played Enigmatica 2 (Expert), and overall enjoyed it, but it's the opposite of a medium footprint. It's absolutely gigantic, and unfortunately pretty much all the popular quest-based packs are similarly enormous. Like "you can't even launch this without allocating 6GB" huge. And, MC being what it is, those 6GB will always be filled with leaked crap that will cause hitching on every single GC cycle even after the first boot. In fairness the pack ran pretty well overall considering, the performance boosting mods are no joke.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The Building Gadgets mod lets you do this, actually -- you can build a structure and copy it to a blueprint, which can be copied and pasted via clipboard to the internet. The only downside is that it can't place anything that's a tile entity, so machines are out of the question.

That's fine enough for me though--I think. I just installed it so I will see.

KingLemming posted:

I'm modularizing as much as I feasibly can, but no. I'm better off making a new video game at that point.
Maybe I should just draft up an example but I don't see it being out of your abilities. Basically just do what you're already doing and then farm out the definition of the machine to a data file. The nutters like me should be able to go in and define certain specialized machines for interesting effects.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Taffer posted:

It sounds like you're describing the Item Allocator, a TE block. Have you used it?

Didn't know it existed - I'll check it out

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
You know the one thing i wish AE2 would introduce, where if you place Crafting terminals next to each other they would link up to make larger ones (ie similar to open computer monitors)

That would allow stuff to be nicely linked - and think terminals along the walls of your corridors ala Star Trek LCARS Access panels

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Eox posted:

Dungeon and magic mods have gotten more and more homogenous over the past few versions, it's a shame that the witches mod developed by an 8 year old and their parent didn't carry over to today. I would still lose dozens of hours in Sigma again if it had custom loot tables to counteract the constant "Great, 5 gold ingots" of dungeon crawling.

edit: Sigma on a server with hardcore darkness and that siege mod would be a hell of a ride

Yeah. Im starting to feel the itch for that again. Something I need to look into. The terrain generation these days is a lot nicer, too.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I came across something interesting today, Project E interaction with Refined Storage. Specifically, how it's been taken out after Refined Storage 1.6

I'm on RS 1.2 but it seems it also can't do it. (external storage bus > transmutation tablet) There's Equivalent Storage that can do it but that's for Minecraft 1.12.

Is there something that can work with 1.10.2?

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Maybe I should just draft up an example but I don't see it being out of your abilities. Basically just do what you're already doing and then farm out the definition of the machine to a data file. The nutters like me should be able to go in and define certain specialized machines for interesting effects.

Go ahead, but I'm pretty sure I understand quite well what you want to do here. You want to define a machine in a JSON file.

Which means I have to write effectively an engine. It has to parse the JSON and come up with the block, tile entity, render handling, backend managers, GUIs, container objects and so forth that are required for a machine to operate. Oh, and custom packets if it has any kind of mode logic at all.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

KingLemming posted:

Go ahead, but I'm pretty sure I understand quite well what you want to do here. You want to define a machine in a JSON file.

Which means I have to write effectively an engine. It has to parse the JSON and come up with the block, tile entity, render handling, backend managers, GUIs, container objects and so forth that are required for a machine to operate. Oh, and custom packets if it has any kind of mode logic at all.

Isn't this what the Modular Machines mod does?

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

KingLemming posted:

Gotta write all that poo poo anyway, might as well standardize as much as you can on top of it.

Like yeah it's not a small body of work, but then every machine you define internally (this is not just a feature for your users!) is miles cleaner than redoing it every time.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Ak Gara posted:

I came across something interesting today, Project E interaction with Refined Storage. Specifically, how it's been taken out after Refined Storage 1.6

I'm on RS 1.2 but it seems it also can't do it. (external storage bus > transmutation tablet) There's Equivalent Storage that can do it but that's for Minecraft 1.12.

Is there something that can work with 1.10.2?

The feature wasn't in RS until something like 1.5.8 or something.

It's also apparently set to return at some point, though it's not a priority.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

People were talking about a new quest mod in here a while back. How does it compare to Better Questing? Is it out and usable for someone making a modpack? I want to make a quest book but I really don't like BQ.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
FTB Quests. Looks slick, better than BQ. But last I saw it, it only handled 'click each quest-requirement item to confirm that it's in your inventory' as a quest-completion objective. So, no automatic detection of stuff you crafted, or the ability to detect that you're standing in a particular location like HQM could do. But it's apparently still in development so these things might be added.

Man HQM was so good though. Needs to come back.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Black Pants posted:

FTB Quests. Looks slick, better than BQ. But last I saw it, it only handled 'click each quest-requirement item to confirm that it's in your inventory' as a quest-completion objective. So, no automatic detection of stuff you crafted, or the ability to detect that you're standing in a particular location like HQM could do. But it's apparently still in development so these things might be added.

There’s a block you can use to submit items for quests, so you can moderately automate them. The quest acceptance is still a bit awkward while using it

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

ptroll posted:

Gotta write all that poo poo anyway, might as well standardize as much as you can on top of it.

Like yeah it's not a small body of work, but then every machine you define internally (this is not just a feature for your users!) is miles cleaner than redoing it every time.

That's the thing - I've already gotten it to a point where I just write a constructor and a few lines. It's *extremely* simple. Like, writing a JSON parser and full backend - which is thousands of lines, if not more...I'd have to make like a hundred machines for that to even *possibly* pay off.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

KingLemming posted:

That's the thing - I've already gotten it to a point where I just write a constructor and a few lines. It's *extremely* simple. Like, writing a JSON parser and full backend - which is thousands of lines, if not more...I'd have to make like a hundred machines for that to even *possibly* pay off.

Think of how fun it would be to maintain a mod that lets other people implement machines!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Devor posted:

Think of how fun it would be to maintain a mod that lets other people implement machines!

Not fun?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Black Pants posted:

HQM particularly was hard to format good tutorial text. The quest text I had written for BFSR was smashed too much into paragraphs for my preference. Stuff like that should have been written more like regular technical writing, which generally meant smaller paragraphs and a bunch of numbered/bulleted lists. I haven't looked into how the other quest mods worked for this, but it at least looked it it could present information that way a little bit better. It was really constraining to cram paragraphs into that little book. I just mean reading it; I could do it offline in raw JSON all I want.

Devor posted:

To be fair, if the electrical engineers I work with is any basis, then using a JSON input will ward away most people anyways.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

To be fair, if the electrical engineers I work with is any basis, then using a JSON input will ward away most people anyways.

Absolutely, yes. But then the discussion turns into, "How about you create/maintain a mod that lets other people make machines and almost nobody will use it?"

Honestly, I already have it at a point where you could very trivially make machines with an addon mod, it'd just be Java and not JSON.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Besides, a config-only machine mod already exists. It's called Modular Machinery. Every pack I've seen it in has had it be kinda janky though.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Besides, a config-only machine mod already exists. It's called Modular Machinery. Every pack I've seen it in has had it be kinda janky though.

Another one to put on the stack to check...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

There is also Custom Stuff 4, which lets you make custom furnaces and crafting tables with their own separate recipes. You can't really tie it into other mods power systems, but thats basically all you need to make a custom "machine". The furnaces don't need to be powered by typical combustibles, you can make them burn batteries or Xg-5 crystals or whatever you come up with:
https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/custom-stuff-4
https://github.com/cubex2/customstuff4/wiki

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Rutibex posted:

There is also Custom Stuff 4, which lets you make custom furnaces and crafting tables with their own separate recipes. You can't really tie it into other mods power systems, but thats basically all you need to make a custom "machine". The furnaces don't need to be powered by typical combustibles, you can make them burn batteries or Xg-5 crystals or whatever you come up with:
https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/custom-stuff-4
https://github.com/cubex2/customstuff4/wiki

I know what you mean, but I'm getting a real kick out of the thought of Steve shoving a handful of batteries into a "circuit maker" and lighting them on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Are there any good villager-improving mods out there? I've been using Minecraft Comes Alive since it replaces testifaces with actual non-HNNNNNing humans, but it hasn't been updated in a long time and has some annoying features.