Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Fabricated posted:

The game made a lot of money so I could see them keeping servers open quite a while.

It's peer to peer. There are no servers for Overkill to shut down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm not participating further in the secret hunt. Some rear end in a top hat datamined and posted one part of the solution, and it's important that ovk not think Crackdown was involved in the leak. That said, yes, there is a secret, though I don't know the details. It appears likely that we are resurrecting Bain and the "true end" has that final video continue by having him rocket out of that hole.

will the bain launcher be a dlc weapon or

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

mormonpartyboat posted:

will the bain launcher be a dlc weapon or

Bain's corpse will be a freely available shotgun that does poison damage.

A rolled up presidential pardon will also be added as a melee weapon.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

UnknownMercenary posted:

It's peer to peer. There are no servers for Overkill to shut down.

there's the master server(s) that negotiate who has a game rolling for what, but those are so cheap to operate that it took GameSpy dying something like 3 times for their servers to finally collapse.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

PDTH still has games going and that didn't reach a fraction of PD2's popularity. We'll all get tired of it way before it gets shut down for good.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
and being real even if the servers did spontaneously explode the day after overkill’s hq was abducted by aliens people would figure out a new master server pretty fast. When gamespy’s poo poo went down both neverwinter nights games - much less popular and more niche games than pd2 - had freeware master servers and patches to update the clients in like 48 hours max

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

That is true. I was surprised to see how many old PC shooters that relied on Gamespy still had third party servers set up and going to this day.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm not participating further in the secret hunt. Some rear end in a top hat datamined and posted one part of the solution, and it's important that ovk not think Crackdown was involved in the leak. That said, yes, there is a secret, though I don't know the details. It appears likely that we are resurrecting Bain and the "true end" has that final video continue by having him rocket out of that hole.

So, basically this, then

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
The Breaking News minisite updated with an unannounced Day 9 and will probably have a Day 10 too, in case there was doubt that things don't end with 'you were not bad enough dudes to rescue the simon viklund'

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

That doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the work of a couple of (obviously insane) pianists. :D

(also your subscription notice popped up right as they discovered the secret so you may want to consider damage control, idk)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

TheObserver posted:

That doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the work of a couple of (obviously insane) pianists. :D

(also your subscription notice popped up right as they discovered the secret so you may want to consider damage control, idk)

meh, it's fine, they know I didn't help them and no one's attacking me right now.

...it really wasn't that bad of a puzzle other than (arguably) the octave, and even that's pretty straightforward to transcribe. Idk, I'm used to taking several weeks to solve a puzzle. The people leaking the later stuff from the files just made it much more confusing, and much worse.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 3, 2018

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
So what is the secret? Any link?

Out of curiosity is it related to the original/ legacy missions?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The syringe is actually a shittier but free kunai knife since it can poison cops and make them vomit.

Sometimes.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

PSA: Don't do the piano puzzle related to the secret at the moment. In true Overkill fashion it will break your save file such that you cannot join any games as a client.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It does not break people's savefiles, merc. Please don't say that it does, it's just a callback error crash.

Here's a mod that disables the callback while it's active. When they release a hotfix (one is already in QA), you can disable the mod and continue as before:
https://modworkshop.net/mydownloads.php?action=view_down&did=23832#description

swims posted:

So what is the secret? Any link?

Out of curiosity is it related to the original/ legacy missions?

We're still working through it. It appears likely that the next step of the solution will require four players who have all completed a huge laundry list of achievements, one from every heist in the game. We're still working out a complete list- there are at least 63 of the suckers, and that includes Classic heists.

There's also a plot connection to the classic heists, especially No Mercy and First World Bank, but I've belabored this game's overly complex plot too much at this point to do it again. Check out the wiki page for it if you're really interested.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 4, 2018

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
AS HIS FLESH IS CONSUMED THE KING OF THE UNDER NORTH LAUGHS AND JUDGES THE CHAMPIONS.

Also, the Secret masks from the original Payday have become available, but only to a few.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Dunno what I did to get the secret masks but I have them. :toot:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Onmi posted:

God can't wait.

:gritin:

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.

Discendo Vox posted:

It does not break people's savefiles, merc. Please don't say that it does, it's just a callback error crash.

Here's a mod that disables the callback while it's active. When they release a hotfix (one is already in QA), you can disable the mod and continue as before:
https://modworkshop.net/mydownloads.php?action=view_down&did=23832#description

We're still working through it. It appears likely that the next step of the solution will require four players who have all completed a huge laundry list of achievements, one from every heist in the game. We're still working out a complete list- there are at least 63 of the suckers, and that includes Classic heists.

There's also a plot connection to the classic heists, especially No Mercy and First World Bank, but I've belabored this game's overly complex plot too much at this point to do it again. Check out the wiki page for it if you're really interested.

It has to be rats, frames, dogs or oil. I guess comedy would be Ukrainian.

Firestarter day 2 is also candidate

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
In 1993 a group of Russian engineers somewhere in the remote parts of Siberia drilled a hole some 14.4km (9 miles) deep and discovered, to their amazement, noises coming from inside. Lowering sensitive microphones to the bottom of the hole...

...this was what they heard.

Oh, and make sure to check RandomKenney’s stream - he’s streaming the Secret one, and boy is it epic.

TheObserver fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Nov 4, 2018

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

UnknownMercenary posted:

Dunno what I did to get the secret masks but I have them. :toot:
By all accounts, PDTH's Overdrill.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Those bastards did it. :allears:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
That was so good.

Also: The President's last line before they turn off the TV is "Let's do this" the same as Bain's last words. Implying Bain didn't die, he's now the President of the United States

Okay yeah one of the lines that can be said in The Secret is by Bain, saying The things you do for a good face lift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HuGNGNfy9M&t=651s

Finally, the line that Vlad says in the unlocked ending is "it's all normal, don't worry, i'll tell you if something changes"

Onmi fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 4, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Welp, Bain finally did it.

He stole the one thing nobody could steal.

The Entire United States Of America.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So PD3 never judging by those spoilers, god drat Bain outdid the Dentist.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
The most important this is Chains confirmed for literally Damion

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Wilko posted:

GTFO is Unity
That's at least an improvement on Diesel. Ten Chambers really must have a style then because the look/feel of everything in GTFO so far really, really seems like Payday. Everything from the FOV to interface interactions.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
So is there a coherent summary of the full secret out there yet? Plenty of direct answers to the puzzle elements going around, but not how anyone got there in the first place. IE, I know about the piano but where'd the music come from? And I don't quite follow how the final vault riddles work.

Also on the lore side of things were basically 90% of poo poo like Cagliostro, Duke, and all the other random hooks pretty much meaningless?

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

John Murdoch posted:

So is there a coherent summary of the full secret out there yet? Plenty of direct answers to the puzzle elements going around, but not how anyone got there in the first place. IE, I know about the piano but where'd the music come from? And I don't quite follow how the final vault riddles work.

Also on the lore side of things were basically 90% of poo poo like Cagliostro, Duke, and all the other random hooks pretty much meaningless?

Yes. The payday secret subreddit has information, as well as their discord.

All door puzzles have been solved.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The greatest heist of all time. Let's do this.

That was a solid loving "end" to Payday 2. Glad I was able to get in and do it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

For those of you who want to watch it, here's the real ending video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLUxxrZlYJI

Also screens of the end title cards giving the postscripts for the heisters.

https://imgur.com/a/JbDFPdo

Fuckin' masterpiece.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 5, 2018

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

At least now we have confirmation that John Wick's movies are after the events of Payday 2. To a certain degree of canon.

That was a pretty satisfying ending, and I say that as someone who hasn't really played the game since early 2016.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

I know about the piano but where'd the music come from?
It's the sequence of notes starting at about the 6 second mark of this video. They are the first notes of Hurrian Hymn No. 6. There are hints from Duke and someone else talking about Duke regarding "the oldest song" or the "oldest melody", which is this piece.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpxN2VXPMLc

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

YET ANOTHER FAG posted:

Yes. The payday secret subreddit has information, as well as their discord.

All door puzzles have been solved.

I'm not gonna go digging through a Discord but the subreddit is just the same scattershot direct information I found elsewhere, with the exception of learning that Duke has some dialogue about "the oldest melody" which was the hook for that part of the puzzle. Also something about OVK_Wordsmith.

Also the hot theory of the moment is that there's still more to uncover on account of various odds and ends not being addressed.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

maswastaken posted:

By all accounts, PDTH's Overdrill.

Huh, I can't remember if my current PDTH level/'character' has done Overdrill, or if I haven't done it with that one since burning all my rep and starting over with it for the umpteenth time...wonder if that matters?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Guide to the Payday 2 Secret

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Did it earlier today. Well, that's a thing.

At this point, I think it's important to remember how it all began.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
So wait are people just brute forcing the riddle answers by putting together plausible letter combinations instead of finding any further rhyme or reason? It can't be a coincidence that so many of them seem to reference the Guide and other oddities throughout the game (Apate).

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

John Murdoch posted:

So wait are people just brute forcing the riddle answers by putting together plausible letter combinations instead of finding any further rhyme or reason? It can't be a coincidence that so many of them seem to reference the Guide and other oddities throughout the game (Apate).

They're using the Guide of Bain as a reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Fought the alien cloakers under the White House and shot and killed the (I guess, supposedly) immortal god-king, then put the cursed gold in place and saw Bain reincarnate as the President of the United States

I'm going back to rob antiques, jewelry and convenience stores in memory of a simpler time when we stole valuable poo poo to get money and fought human policemen.