Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

bike tory posted:

Haha if only this were true everywhere. It can be really hard to order anything even vaguely off-menu in Japan, I've even had places tell me they can't do the side of potatoes without the bacon sprinkles. My partner's boss here is vegetarian and often does business lunches/dinners with VIPs at really high end places, and even calling ahead he often gets served like a bowl of rice and a salad.
I have an expat friend who's lived in Japan for I don't even know how long; she recently went on a pretty exclusionary diet for health reasons. She asks if the kitchen has X, Y, and Z foods she can eat and asks if they would kindly make something with those, then, please. It's been going over a lot better than a simple "please hold the croutons" approach, which, as you point out, inexplicably gets even the seemingly most accommodating servers scratching their heads and making excuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

bike tory posted:

Haha if only this were true everywhere. It can be really hard to order anything even vaguely off-menu in Japan, I've even had places tell me they can't do the side of potatoes without the bacon sprinkles. My partner's boss here is vegetarian and often does business lunches/dinners with VIPs at really high end places, and even calling ahead he often gets served like a bowl of rice and a salad.

From what I've heard, dining in Japan/East Asia has its own special kind of obnoxious.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Casu Marzu posted:

I've eaten a hell of a lot of different foods that some people think is gross and have been fine, or even find some of them delicious. A friend has a really severe milk allergy so she always uses vegan cheese. Every time I've tried a bit, my body immediately rejects it :barf: IDK if it's the texture or what, but I cannot eat it at all.

it's the cashews

cashew picking peeps have to wear gloves or else they get contact dermatitis. they often also get dermatitis in their mucus membranes and poo poo anyhow

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

PubicMice posted:

From what I've heard, dining in Japan/East Asia has its own special kind of obnoxious.

It really can be.

In an unusual exemption, Sichuan, China had the least of this sort of poo poo of anywhere I've been in Asia. They just serve you the food without telling you that you're physically incapable of eating it, or asking about chopsticks, or whatever. You want this food? Okay here it is.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
https://twitter.com/jonjones/status/1054915304659279872

We're in a dark timeline, but we will not shy away from making everything a fondue fountain.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

motoh posted:

We're in a dark timeline, but we will not shy away from making everything a fondue fountain.

That's chocolate. Really bad, seized and lumpy chocolate.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
for delicious chocolate tacos

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
The other day I got a notice in the mail that a business nearby is applying for a license to serve beer and wine, and we have 30 days to file a protest, if we so choose. This in itself isn't notable; I live in a busy downtown area and get things like that in the mail all the time. The part that made me pause was that the business name is "Taco Bell Cantina".

I have no idea when they're going to open, but hot drat I am ready to write a trip report. :shepspends:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It’s what it seems like: a Taco Bell that also serves beer and wine.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had already posted that fountain before :<

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Chemmy posted:

Is this where the Demolition Man timeline diverges?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You mean Pizza Hut right?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

You mean Pizza Hut right?

The fact this is a thing will forever weird me out.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Fromage posted:

you're physically incapable of eating it

:wtc:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Chemmy posted:

Yes, and according to this letter it will be less than a quarter of a mile from my apartment. Even for the biggest of hamgoons that's well within walking/scootering distance. And since I tend to only have Taco Bell when I'm feeling depressed and self-loathing, it'll be a really convenient location! :suicide:

PubicMice posted:

Is this where the Demolition Man timeline diverges?

God I hope so. Nothing could be worse than the hell timeline we're already in.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

i'm envious

get at the Taco Bell con alcohol

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/sovietvisuals/status/778630345214144513

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You're a foreigner, you are a different species with different biology than us superior Koreans. Foreigners can only eat hamburgers.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Isn't this just Cuban food?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Cuban food uses plantains, which are different and are prepared differently from bananas. Plantains aren't as sweet as bananas and have more starch, so they aren't usually eaten raw like bananas. They're prepared more like vegetables than fruits.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Sort of, but Cubans drat well love bananas on everything too.

Nothing wrong with that, either. I've learned some things.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Apart from everything else how does that qualify as a very thin slice?

Sharpen your dang knives. :colbert:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

bloom posted:

A-FUCKIN-MEN

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

motoh posted:

Tubgirl in the age of sex robots

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

bloom posted:

Or use a mandolin you loving barbarians

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

But they only want jalapeno and banana, not jalapeno, skin, and banana.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I don't think that's good for the strings.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The sweet burn of capsaicin against exposed dermis is the tactile component of this highly sensory snack

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
It's thin compared to the banana slice

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Tubgirl in the age of sex robots
She had orange juice, not chocolate.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Dienes posted:

Isn't this just Cuban food?

Cuban food doesn't have any heat. There will be hot sauce at the table, most likely, but in the dish itself it's unheard of. Bananas aren't used at all either, although platanos feature fairly prominently. Wrong in every way!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm gonna cook a steak using the mayonnaise marinade method. Wish me luck.

Android Apocalypse posted:

It's this that made me think it was worth a shot.

PICS:
Ribeye out of the 'fridge & seasoned with salt & pepper before being slathered in mayonnaise. I let it come to room temperature while watching the Titans clown the Cowboys.

Got the cast iron nice & toasty before dropping the steak in.

Holy poo poo that is a nice crust!

After a brief test I sliced this bad boy up. Perfect rare-medium rare. The crust looks like it's badly burnt but I assure you it is not the case.

TASTE TEST:
Juicy, good flavor. The crust is really good.

VERDICT:
Experiment yielded positive results. May augment with rosemary sprigs & garlic in the pan to add more flavors. Will do this technique more often in the future.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this all looks fine and you're just wrong? Like, using mayo for this kind of thing (Like on grilled cheese) has been aknowledged as something tasty and good before.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

You are required by law to complain about mayo in this thread

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Add some flour or breadcrumbs and it's basically chicken fried steak, of course the crust gets nice.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Tashilicious posted:

this all looks fine and you're just wrong?

It absolutely loving isn't! The mayo is completely burnt onto the surface of the steak, and as you can see in the cross-section, the fatty parts of the ribeye are completely unrendered, resulting in unpleasant texture and a flavor that is bland at best. That's burnt mayonnaise surrounding a steak that was only cooked by the heat of boiling mayonnaise, which I'm sure you can surmise as well as I can is not an ideal method of cooking steak.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

poop dood posted:

It absolutely loving isn't! The mayo is completely burnt onto the surface of the steak, and as you can see in the cross-section, the fatty parts of the ribeye are completely unrendered, resulting in unpleasant texture and a flavor that is bland at best. That's burnt mayonnaise surrounding a steak that was only cooked by the heat of boiling mayonnaise, which I'm sure you can surmise as well as I can is not an ideal method of cooking steak.

:umberto:

Zipperelli. has a new favorite as of 09:12 on Nov 6, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
mayo is loving disgusting and that's the grossest steak I've ever heard about.

thanks for reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Randaconda posted:

mayo is loving disgusting and that's the grossest steak I've ever heard about.

thanks for reading

Worst TED Talk ever.