Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Toshimo posted:

Remember when there was a cheating bully and Mashiba went and Tyrannosaurus Rekt his poo poo so loving bad he smashed his motorcycle into oncoming traffic and got brain damaged all to hell?

That was some good Morikawa.

probably one of my favorite 'holy poo poo lmao' moments in the entire manga

mashiba has always been the best character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Toshimo posted:

Remember when there was a cheating bully and Mashiba went and Tyrannosaurus Rekt his poo poo so loving bad he smashed his motorcycle into oncoming traffic and got brain damaged all to hell?

Hell, I thought he was dead until he appeared years later all scarred because of that.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The kid almost certainly cheated and will probably get murked if he actually boxes.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Toshimo posted:

if they ever do another season of the anime this is all I want to see animated

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Ippo back in the ring in chapter 1240.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

"They're a perfect combo" gently caress you

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Good poo poo. Ippo a best

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Stairmaster posted:

"They're a perfect combo" gently caress you

I mean, the coach is not trying to hit Ippo, so clearly he's the best opponent for Ippo's punches!

I'm going to guess Ippo is going to make a comeback, and doing mitts is going to teach him how to dodge or something like that?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Ippo is finally gonna turn into Mike Tyson with a focus on dodging

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Wild Horses posted:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Wild Horses posted:

Too bad he's still punch drunk and won't dodge gently caress-all.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

What do you mean, they said the doctor ok'd him! He's cured of brain damage and perfectly safe to get back in the ring!

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

he can't fight if he gets hit. "i see, so if i 'dodge' the blow, i can fight without the risk of brain damage! :D"

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

It's all so dudes can be extra heart broken they didn't get their chance when they see him spar as a second. So we can have more frames of the guys longingly staring at his muscles. Just wait until Miata hears that noise, he's going to get that grim I just came in my pants look.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Toshimo posted:

I always forget this and I always laugh my rear end off when I remember it again. Jesus what a ride that was.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
we'll see ippo back in fighting shape soon...i hope...

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the only thing i'd be okay with is him risking it all on one last fight with miyata.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Stairmaster posted:

the only thing i'd be okay with is him risking it all on one last fight with miyata.

I only want Ippo and Miyata to fight if mid-fight they finally understand the feelings they have for each other.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I really want to see how the author writes around brain damage in a way that is not insulting to the sport and the people reading it.

There is no way it won't be a trainwreck is the best part.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I think George has been pretty respectful so far. Hayami's return, despite being set up like something to inspire Ippo to FIGHTING SPIRIT through brain damage, went the complete opposite direction.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

they've been pretty blunt about the fact that if ippo gets hit anymore, he WILL get damaged permanently

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
I would forgive Morikawa if the ending is Ippo in a hospital bed, drooling and babbling, and the coach then tearfully uses a pillow to end his misery. Then he dies of a heart attack, because gently caress him.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
If Ippo returns to boxing (despite his injuries) then what was the point of this entire story arc?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Morikawa's been writing the same story arc over and over again for 30 years, it's good to have some variety.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think Morikawa realized he was writing literally Ashita No Joe and decided to turn left.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Fabricated posted:

I think Morikawa realized he was writing literally Ashita No Joe and decided to turn left.

More likely his editor noticed.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

he has heavily lifted from ANJ for over a thousand chapters im not sure it'd really come up now

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

i enjoy ippo more now than in a while so good job george

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Wild Horses posted:

i enjoy ippo more now than in a while so good job george

I see Stockholm Syndrome has kicked in. :v:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Probably, but this has been a refreshing change from "yamato damashi!".

I've said that the stupidest plot abandonment was Chekhov's Gunning the Heartbreak Shot, then having Ippo use something like it on Gedo, and then..... nothing. Jump straight to Woli, which was equally stupid, instead of having Ippo refine the thing and add it to his list of techniques.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Ippo layered techniques and advanced them for a while, then at some point it sorta became about his fixation with the dempsey and he sorta stopped developing. I feel like this arc (even with the precipitation of him retiring) is to remind Ippo he's gotta not be so singularly focused and be a well balanced fighter. Then he'll make a stunning return. Which would of course will undercut all of the value in having his career cut short, but we didn't read 1000+ chapters to see him not even get his chance with Miyata. I don't want him to return to the ring, but it feels like he's gonna do it anyway.

They also wasted too much of his career on title defenses. So many chapters wasted on stupid worthless fights.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 1, 2018

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Notorious ZSB posted:

They also wasted too much of his career on title defenses. So many chapters wasted on stupid worthless fights.

This applies to Takamura even more than Ippo. Takamura's arc hasn't progressed since he fought Eagle.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I feel the creator got caught up in that feeling. In real life defending a title would be exciting (well if it’s not fixed) but yeah having Ippo stay champion kinda made it boring. I mean we saw Wolf rose up thru the ranks and that was exciting. I’m mostly in now for Ippo staying the background and hopefully it starts focusing on Taka and Ippos protege more. Again. Hopefully.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

takamura has been complaining in the manga about having to defend the middleweight title for over 600 chapters.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm glad I just read ippo vicariously through reading this thread

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I wish Takamura would finally lose a match since he has been slipping into being more of an actual rear end in a top hat instead of a funny rear end in a top hat

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
chapter 1241 is out.
rip taihei, probably.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I still believe in the terrible bully.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
"Never had a real injury"

I guess almost getting brain damage doesn't count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

pnumoman posted:

"Never had a real injury"

I guess almost getting brain damage doesn't count?

And shattering his right hand against Mashiba, and having the tendons in his lower leg muscles destroyed, and