Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I can't stop watching this League of Legend kpop music video it's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

corn in the bible posted:

It's not even the best SNES jrpg since both Romancing SaGa 2 and Tactics Ogre are on there

Ogre Battle isn't a jrpg. That is very silly.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Black August posted:

Make the last Final Fantasy a megagame that ties every single game together in a way much more interesting than Dissidia or some gacha garbage and then burn down the Square offices and salt the earth with a 100-tank salute

This already happened, it's called Final Fantasy 4: The After Years

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
All this FF chat reminds me that I need to get the Bravely games since they're the closest thing to the best FF, V

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

The occurring problem with Xcom is people want it to have a strategic layer but nobody ever actually enjoys doing the strategic layer when its complicated.

I thought that was the reoccurring problem with the Total War games.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Prop Wash posted:

I thought that was the reoccurring problem with the Total War games.

I mean its something that plagues strategy games in general.

People want a strategic layer but its really hard to make it stay engaging and entertaining over the course of long campaign. People get sick of it longer before they get tired of the combat component.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
the best Final Fantasy is 14 and that people can write these lists but somehow haven't played it astounds me

like this game is made exactly for the sorts of nerds who write tier rankings of FF games

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

mfcrocker posted:

the best Final Fantasy is 14 and that people can write these lists but somehow haven't played it astounds me

like this game is made exactly for the sorts of nerds who write tier rankings of FF games

If my options were to play an MMO or to stop playing games altogether, I'd choose to stop playing games

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Aw man I completely forgot the last couple planets in Ratchet and Clank are anti-fun. Like inexcusably bad. I can't think of a single platformer level with forceful wind I've ever liked but it's made worse here because they don't really animate the wind like in other platformers and you're maneuvering on a literal rail thin platform with weighty controls. Coupled with the game's complete lack of checkpoints and I don't know how I had the patience to beat this game 15 years ago.

Insomniac Dev: Here's a list of unused ideas that reads "stop, don't ever include these in a platformer: stealth, ice levels, wind levels, walking on narrow paths, fighting a million enemies in a game without i-frames" let's stuff it all into a single planet.

e: I don't know what I expected from the company that in 2018 still has instant fail stealth segments.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Nov 5, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

mfcrocker posted:

If that nerd likes boring MMO 101 questlines, bad writing and a really uninspired aesthetic, sure.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

But enough about your posts

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

But enough about your posts

Swing and a miss.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Swing and a miss.

But enough about my posts

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

No avatar = no read.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

No avatar = no read.

definitely

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What's everyone up to this Monday

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm stuck at work while I dream about going home and shooting cultists in the dick. And also playing Resident Evil 4.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

FirstAidKite posted:

What's everyone up to this Monday

Thinking about The Unholy War for the PlayStation 1. Unholy War was kind of neat in that it was partially an SRPG where you move units around a hexagon-tile map onto resource nodes which you can use to build new units. You could also use abilities on this map to heal or harm or I think change the terrain a little. When you landed on a tile with an enemy unit it would move to combat, it would move you to an arena based on the tile both units were on and it would play out like an action game. It was neat because it wasn't purely in one camp or the other, so you didn't need to be a great general or a twitch gamer to have fun.

I was watching a clip of lesser-known PSX games and something called Little Witching Mischiefs popped up for a few seconds. But that was all I needed to know that the monster the magical anime girl was fighting was taken directly out of a game my brother an I used to play called Unholy War. It must be one of the weirder re-localizations. Here's some gameplay videos to explain

Unholy War:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwSScBLrR1o

Little Witching Mischiefs: (you can jump to about the 10 minute mark for the first battle against an Unholy War character. The rest is the strategy aspect of the game)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psfWgG_7ihw

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Stay well at work, Rarity, you'll make it through soon enough :)

LawfulWaffle posted:

Thinking about The Unholy War for the PlayStation 1.

So are they just two different games that use the same engine or is one a heavily localized version of the other?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

FirstAidKite posted:

Stay well at work, Rarity, you'll make it through soon enough :)

So are they just two different games that use the same engine or is one a heavily localized version of the other?

I guess they're different games but Little Witching Mischiefs uses the engine and some models from Unholy War. It's just something I don't see often.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's neat stumbling upon stuff like that, like there was this one company that developed a video game adaptation of the film Hook and then a short time later they made Skyblazer which was very clearly using a lot of the same kind of tech.

Then there's that Treasure game, Dynamite Headdy, which must have been at least partially based on some work they did on their previous title, McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure, due to the similarities in the graphics and in some of the gameplay.

Probably the strangest one was when KCB came back from vacationing with her family many years ago and while on vacation she had visited some tourist thing called MagiQuest where you go buy some wands and LARP at various interactive sections of the place and she decided to buy a copy of "MagiQuest Online" while she was there and that game turned out to be part 1 of an unfinished series that the owners of MagiQuest had licensed out to Cyan to make, so Cyan just used their Uru engine to make another game that was clearly just more Uru, but not.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 5, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There also Decap Attack that was basically exactly the same game as Magical Flying Hat but changed so much graphically that it's considered its own thing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You know what Diablo Immortal is making me think of:

Have there been any mobile action games or action-RPGs that steal elements of The World Ends With You's combat system? I've noticed a lot of these mobile MMOs or action games have icons in the bottom right that you tap to use your abilities, but that seems like it's feel kind of unsatisfying on a mobile platform. But something like TWEWY, where you press and hold on the screen to move but each of your special attacks has a different gesture you do to activate them, could work really well.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

No one agrees with me that Kirby should have died. Am I out of touch?

20 pages later and I still cannot believe this post.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Due to life being hectic, I'm only just getting around to playing AC:Origins (in small bursts, a few hours at a time every other week or so). Just started exploring some of the high-level areas like the Qattara Depression, and this is all feeling really mystical in a way that a lot of the earlier areas didn't. And then the mirages happened. I would love a game in this style that ramps up the mysticism and surreal aspects to 10.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Ogre Battle isn't a jrpg. That is very silly.

tactics ogre is totally a jrpg

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

You know what Diablo Immortal is making me think of:

Have there been any mobile action games or action-RPGs that steal elements of The World Ends With You's combat system? I've noticed a lot of these mobile MMOs or action games have icons in the bottom right that you tap to use your abilities, but that seems like it's feel kind of unsatisfying on a mobile platform. But something like TWEWY, where you press and hold on the screen to move but each of your special attacks has a different gesture you do to activate them, could work really well.

Even the mobile version of TWEWY itself didn't have the same mechanics as TWEWY because the fidelity isn't the same with a large finger versus a stylus.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I like saying TWEWY as a word. twewy.

VideoGames posted:

permaban immediately.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i say it as The World is Not Enough

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VideoGames posted:

I'm not saying that you should abuse your mod powers to ban them or anything, it's just that if your finger happened to slip then no one would judge you

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I refuse to be shamed for my religious beliefs.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Lurdiak posted:

I refuse to be shamed for my religious beliefs.

Kirby is still your friend, monster

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

burning witches wasn’t really about shame. it’s more of a self preservation thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dr Cheeto posted:

Kirby is still your friend, monster

I have seen the treacherous kirby turn his friends into stars and devour them.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I could not allow this madness to go on.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I can't believe I slept through my alarm and missed an argument about jrpgs, this week is starting off horrible.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

really the worst thing about kirby is there isn't a pithy portmanteau i can think of for his name

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

really the worst thing about kirby is there isn't a pithy portmanteau i can think of for his name

Kirbitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Be nice to the Kirb or you'll meet the curb

• Locked thread