Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I mean I can get why because I think that any locker room stuff from 2000 was going to border on the talent and management both being highly unprofessional and be unfavorable in nature of the coverage, and no one was going to admit to any of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://chalk-line.com/collections/all-products/products/wcw-logo-track-jacket

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Vampiro, for one, has spilled on the locker room party culture, because WCW didn't define his career and he doesn't have anything to lose by doing so. But the problem there is that you're taking Vampiro's word on anything.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Vampiro, for one, has spilled on the locker room party culture, because WCW didn't define his career and he doesn't have anything to lose by doing so. But the problem there is that you're taking Vampiro's word on anything.

Jim Mitchell went into great depth about it too.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Holy poo poo their catalog is almost great but the priiiiice...

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Numero6 posted:

Holy poo poo their catalog is almost great but the priiiiice...

i wish i were in an income bracket where 50 bucks for razor ramon mesh shorts made sense but alas

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

shiksa posted:

i wish i were in an income bracket where 50 bucks for razor ramon mesh shorts made sense but alas

I am still eying that razor ramon shirt that is a dead ringer for the german national soccer team shirt circa 1994.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Shiki Dan posted:

He had like 5 different themes in 2001 when they were trying to find a song that would go with his heel character without getting a face pop in the beginning.

I don't remember much from between 2001-2006 so I guess my question is - did it work? Did they remove the glass breaking?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
MRT are you gonna talk about the Pillman book on your show?

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I don't remember much from between 2001-2006 so I guess my question is - did it work? Did they remove the glass breaking?

They actually did...but only for 1st version of his heel theme which only lasted for two weeks but was immortalized in the Smackdown: Just Bring It PS2 game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9alPfcPKeA

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Shiki Dan posted:

They actually did...but only for 1st version of his heel theme which only lasted for two weeks but was immortalized in the Smackdown: Just Bring It PS2 game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9alPfcPKeA

Weird - it's like they took it from the very start and just weaved it through the entire thing

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

MRT are you gonna talk about the Pillman book on your show?

I don't think so, it's been covered in depth elsewhere by people who know the subject better than I do, and I don't really disagree with any of the opinions on it. It's great.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So what's wrong with Ernest Miller? Was reading the last page of this thread and it reminded me of how the Death of WCW poo poo on him a lot.

All I remember about him was his great theme music.

Also has anyone in here discussed the best WCW entrance music? I think the only choices are Raven or Crow Sting but that's just me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON_BqmOCXQY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3jxr5YyGFk

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
I think the dumbest thing they ever did with Ernest Miller was have James brown show up as a surprise guest at an Ernest Miller ppv dance segment or something or other. like an actual surprise, it wasn't announced at all before hand. on a ppv. that people aren't gonna scramble to pay for just for the chance to miss James brown.

he was never great but he had a charisma and physical presence to him. honestly in the pantheon of wcw midcarders, he's a more memorable face than most in the crowd.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

shiksa posted:

I think the dumbest thing they ever did with Ernest Miller was have James brown show up as a surprise guest at an Ernest Miller ppv dance segment or something or other. like an actual surprise, it wasn't announced at all before hand. on a ppv. that people aren't gonna scramble to pay for just for the chance to miss James brown.

I don't have a source on this, but I recall hearing the big problem was they'd tried to make the James Brown appearance happen several times and had it fall through at the last second because James Brown is James Brown and has poo poo to do and they didn't want to advertise it and risk having him change his mind at the last minute again.

which raises the question of why they were doing it in the first place, but, y'know

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

NikkolasKing posted:

Also has anyone in here discussed the best WCW entrance music?
Yes, the American Males theme song has been brought up several times. :v:

Seriously though, I always really liked the Four Horsemen theme. Then there's a lot of fun silly stuff like the Disco Inferno, 3 Count and West Texas Rednecks themes, and some of the production library tracks like DDP's and Jericho's themes were pretty enjoyable as well despite being obvious ripoffs of actual songs.

edit: oh poo poo I forgot the loving Wolfpac, I might wind up in a body bag

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Nov 12, 2018

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

What I always loved about Ernest "the cat" Miller was how at the start of his matches, he would arrogantly turn around and give his opponent 5 seconds to leave. The opponent would generally stay and when the cat turned around he would get clobbered.

It was cool and good.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
As highlighted by this week's Between the Sheets podcast:
https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1047341438143479808

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

So what's wrong with Ernest Miller? Was reading the last page of this thread and it reminded me of how the Death of WCW poo poo on him a lot.

Miller showed a lot of actual physical promise in being a star of a wrestler when he debuted, but then kind of quickly stalled out at the lower midcard level.

Honestly, if there's really something "wrong" with Ernest Miller, its just that because he was the karate trainer of Eric Bischoff's son, he got into be more heavily featured than ultimately he really should have been in 1998 and 1999.

Alvarez really wasn't a big fan of Cat at all during this time, and started to call him "Shat" when writing about him in the F4W newsletter, so that might explain some of the negative coverage in Death of WCW.

At least by the time they got to 2000, they gave him the commissioner role, so he was no longer having to go out and wrestle every show and could just use his charisma, which was a step above.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

Also has anyone in here discussed the best WCW entrance music? I think the only choices are Raven or Crow Sting but that's just me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON_BqmOCXQY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3jxr5YyGFk

Horrible wrestler and not at all up to the amount of talking he was given when he was made an authority figure. His run as heel commissioner in 2000 is all time bad stuff, which is coming off Bischoff and Russo in that role doing all time bad stuff.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Cat as commissioner owned, actually.

hth

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

The Cat owned will fight anyone (via karate) who disagrees.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Randaconda posted:

The Cat as commissioner owned, actually.

hth

Love completely generic Russo booked heel authority figures, they loving own.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

CarlCX posted:

I don't have a source on this, but I recall hearing the big problem was they'd tried to make the James Brown appearance happen several times and had it fall through at the last second because James Brown is James Brown and has poo poo to do and they didn't want to advertise it and risk having him change his mind at the last minute again.
By "poo poo", of course, you mean PCP. James Brown didn't know who he was or where he was for most of the '80s and '90s.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Love completely generic Russo booked heel authority figures, they loving own.

his heel run sucked, but his babyface role was one of the better things on the show

note: this is not a giant accomplishment given how horrible everything else was

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
look wcw in 2000 and 2001 was putrid and if for some random reason there are random backstage ninja attacks against the commissioner who is cool enough to have mi smooth as his chauffeur it was good and not something that involved mia or natural born thrillers which were all dogshit

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Earnest Miller got to do a good movie with Mickey Rourke and Bryan Alvarez has to put up with Dave Meltzer's weird brain. I ask you, who is the winner here?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

exploded mummy posted:

look wcw in 2000 and 2001 was putrid and if for some random reason there are random backstage ninja attacks against the commissioner who is cool enough to have mi smooth as his chauffeur it was good and not something that involved mia or natural born thrillers which were all dogshit

Or it could be actually good if they put MI Smooth in the role who wasn't mush mouthed like the Cat and didn't botch half of what he did in the ring. The Cat had forceful delivery and that was about it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

coconono posted:

Earnest Miller got to do a good movie with Mickey Rourke and Bryan Alvarez has to put up with Dave Meltzer's weird brain. I ask you, who is the winner here?

Acting like Bryan isn't Darth to Dave's Emperor.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

exploded mummy posted:

Miller showed a lot of actual physical promise in being a star of a wrestler when he debuted, but then kind of quickly stalled out at the lower midcard level.
Yeah, he would have been fine if he'd stayed a low-to-midcard heel. But he didn't.

I'd even say that yeah, some of his stuff as commissioner was good. The bit where he likes karate fighting so much that spontaneous karate fights break out in his office was one of the better things I remember from WCW in its dying days. But a lot of it just...went on way too long.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, he would have been fine if he'd stayed a low-to-midcard heel. But he didn't.

I'd even say that yeah, some of his stuff as commissioner was good. The bit where he likes karate fighting so much that spontaneous karate fights break out in his office was one of the better things I remember from WCW in its dying days. But a lot of it just...went on way too long.

Love that racism, one of the better parts of later WCW, the extreme racism.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The familiar stereotype that black people love karate

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Are you talking about when the Jung Dragons became ninjas out of nowhere for a gag? Was that with Ernest Miller?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

The familiar stereotype that black people love karate

The familiar stereotype of three Asian guys appearing when incredibly stereotypical Asian sounding music plays and they make stereotypical martial arts noises before getting their asses kicked. One of whom was a white dude pretending to be Asian.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yeah, that was pretty hosed up.

Russo is super racist and doesn't even try to hide it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Cat gets a thumbs up for kicking Buff Bagwell's rear end for real backstage.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Say Nothing posted:

The Cat gets a thumbs up for kicking Buff Bagwell's rear end for real backstage.

Did Buff beat anybody in a real fight? Hurricane also beat his rear end.

Although, I will admit to a soft spot for Buff. He maybe could have been a decent midcard babyface when he came back from his neck injury if they didn't gently caress it up, and Vicious and Delicious and his team with Steiner were both ok.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Remember when Bagwell came back from injury with a ton of sympathy behind him, and WCW immediately paired him with the man who injured him? That was a Russo turn before Russo even joined the company.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Max Coveri posted:

Remember when Bagwell came back from injury with a ton of sympathy behind him, and WCW immediately paired him with the man who injured him? That was a Russo turn before Russo even joined the company.

I don't know if it had any legs (I suspect not), but they should have tried it, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Max Coveri posted:

They brought him back months early to ruin his career too. On top of that the swerves they did as part of that heel turn helped kill the shock value of a lot of poo poo they did later on.