Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

xZAOx posted:

Grats EoE on getting Meldrath down. Did you guys split any of the fights? How difficult was he for you?

We split all of Tier 2 (Bynn, Deepscar, and Steam Factory) twice, which didn't go to plan because I originally intended for us to do it in one night but the first split had two wipes to Big Bynn so we ran out of time and split it by night which had us raiding on unusual days. We rolled into Mansion with 48ish because people also slacked on flags. The only event in Mansion we had a wipe on was Brinda because we were facing her the wrong way and she flung everyone all over the room at the wrong times, and then because I hit the wrong hotkey for the passwords. We also bugged Breakneck on the first night because people weren't familiar with how to get around and we forgot the golden rule of the Mansion Elevators: Suspend or kill pets. Basically we had him up and ready to go, someone went up the elevator because of the pets and agroed him, he reset, then the elevator shut down permanently in that instance. It was late so we just called it and came back the next night and cleared everything except Meldrath, then came back the last night. We should be able to do it in one night no problem but we'll do it across two because he's on a different lockout timer.

Overall Meldrath isn't bad at all, just a little complicated. Be ready to blast heal tanks on Meldrath and do defensive swaps and he's easy peasy.

Side note, when Breakneck reset so did the doors that spawned his add waves... We ended up fighting Krond and one of the Breakneck waves at the same time because the ONE door that you have to go through to deal with slavers happened to be a Breakneck door. Still pulled out the win because Krond is hilariously easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Solarin posted:

Question for Phinny and Live players: what is the raid healing dynamic like at your era of the game?

I never raided in this game until now on Coirnav as a Druid. The CHeal dynamic is odd and I'm kind of glad not to be locked into that on raids. I know eventually CH phases out and I'm curious what raid healing is like then

I play on live servers. Raid healing is all about maxing the number of spells cast per minute. All the healers spam heals on whatever tanks they have on extended target. So it's a game of changing targets to the lowest hp tank and casting fast cast heals to keep him up. When it comes to the MT, most spells that land end up over healing because you're spamming heals when his hp bar still says 100%. Like was mentioned earlier, hp bars lag quite a bit when comparing what is on your screen vs what the server thinks the tank's hp is at. Big, slow heals are pretty much useless because they rarely land for full value. My raid cleric is a box and I still outdo real clerics on parses because I chain cast fast heals the entire fight.

To do it right, you will want to familiarize yourself with the concept of multibinding. This allows you to keybind you best heals to the same button. Then you just repeatedly mash that button all raid long. This guide is the model for clerics, although, it is dated. Spell names have changed since it was written but the concept is solid.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Hoohah posted:

We split all of Tier 2 (Bynn, Deepscar, and Steam Factory) twice, which didn't go to plan because I originally intended for us to do it in one night but the first split had two wipes to Big Bynn so we ran out of time and split it by night which had us raiding on unusual days. We rolled into Mansion with 48ish because people also slacked on flags. The only event in Mansion we had a wipe on was Brinda because we were facing her the wrong way and she flung everyone all over the room at the wrong times, and then because I hit the wrong hotkey for the passwords. We also bugged Breakneck on the first night because people weren't familiar with how to get around and we forgot the golden rule of the Mansion Elevators: Suspend or kill pets. Basically we had him up and ready to go, someone went up the elevator because of the pets and agroed him, he reset, then the elevator shut down permanently in that instance. It was late so we just called it and came back the next night and cleared everything except Meldrath, then came back the last night. We should be able to do it in one night no problem but we'll do it across two because he's on a different lockout timer.

Overall Meldrath isn't bad at all, just a little complicated. Be ready to blast heal tanks on Meldrath and do defensive swaps and he's easy peasy.

Side note, when Breakneck reset so did the doors that spawned his add waves... We ended up fighting Krond and one of the Breakneck waves at the same time because the ONE door that you have to go through to deal with slavers happened to be a Breakneck door. Still pulled out the win because Krond is hilariously easy.

We started MMM last night. We actually wiped on Krond - one of the slavers warped across the zone and pulled a bunch of trash that wasn't even in the maze on top of us. Lesson learned: don't use skills that knock them back.

When we had Breakneck spawned (we did him first actually)...the elevator to get up to him wouldn't work. Reading a ZAM comment, apparently your whole force has to be up there?

Then as we were trying to pull him through the floor and running back to the zoneline, the elevator started going up while someone was in there. Luckily enough it was one of our tanks with his box crew, and he was able to make the elevator go back down, and we fought him at the entrance.

Overall it seemed really buggy. After spawning Breakneck do you have to wait like 3 minutes before the elevators function or something? I know there's a delay between "click it" and "elevator going up", presumably to alllow time to make sure everyone is in the room, but even the first click of the elevator didn't give a success emote or anything.

Seneschal was the last kill we did of the night. Lesson learned there: burn Patch, then Seneschal. We tried burning Seneschal first, killing adds for a while, then eventually kiting adds. We wiped with Seneschal at 4%, but after burning Patch the fight was simple (just lots of healing, and the steamsuits have a bit of HP).

Pretty sure from this point on all these fights are new to everyone except 1 or 2 members that have vague and unreliable memories from Live.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

MF_James posted:

mix between quick heals and the bigger long heals, you'll get a feel for each fight when you can use the slower bigger heals and when you'll need to throw out fast spam heals.

Eccles posted:

Phinny cleric main who raids here. The biggest change in play style between the good old days of complete heal chains and today is that the pace of gameplay is much faster and your reaction time makes a real difference between success and failure. You can't trust your target's HP bar to be telling you the truth. It can and does lag way behind your target's actual health, so you have to cast heals in anticipation of the tank taking damage.

With SoF we're starting to get more tools to make cleric gameplay more interesting. The introduction this expansion of Eleventh Hour (big heal with half second cast time IF the target is under 35% health) is making things more interesting when someone who shouldn't have agro takes it.

But most of the time on raids I'm just spamming Solemn Light, and how quickly I re-cast depends on what we're killing and how many other clerics showed up that night.

Also, I'm probably doing it all wrong.

Krycek posted:

I play on live servers. Raid healing is all about maxing the number of spells cast per minute. All the healers spam heals on whatever tanks they have on extended target. So it's a game of changing targets to the lowest hp tank and casting fast cast heals to keep him up. When it comes to the MT, most spells that land end up over healing because you're spamming heals when his hp bar still says 100%. Like was mentioned earlier, hp bars lag quite a bit when comparing what is on your screen vs what the server thinks the tank's hp is at. Big, slow heals are pretty much useless because they rarely land for full value. My raid cleric is a box and I still outdo real clerics on parses because I chain cast fast heals the entire fight.

To do it right, you will want to familiarize yourself with the concept of multibinding. This allows you to keybind you best heals to the same button. Then you just repeatedly mash that button all raid long. This guide is the model for clerics, although, it is dated. Spell names have changed since it was written but the concept is solid.

Thanks for the info folks. Going to give Phinny a shot with a shaman or druid in between raiding on Coirnav. Feel like I've got my fill of the game at level 60 and it would be fun to jump way ahead and see a bunch of new stuff.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Well if you roll druid on Phinny, that'd make one druid on Phinny.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I see the phinny burnout is kicking in. New level expansion and multiple days of low population. Feels bad. Time for a new TLP (says DBG).

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Tai posted:

I see the phinny burnout is kicking in. New level expansion and multiple days of low population. Feels bad. Time for a new TLP (says DBG).

I'm actually surprised so few guilds have beaten Meldrath. I thought there'd be fierce neck-and-neck competition for #2 for Crystallos but it looks like this is not the case.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
They would have to come up with something new to interest me in another TLP.

Say FV rules, or 2 boxing + instances + AoC.

Just another Phinny clone won't get my attention.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
And not start in classic. Luclin, PoP or OoW plus auto grant.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Corinav is a failure and is basically a prison colony full of very bad players, why would they open another one? Oh Daybreak, right.

Also agree, gently caress the EQ classic train. Tired old poo poo.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Givin posted:

Corinav is a failure and is basically a prison colony full of very bad players, why would they open another one? Oh Daybreak, right.

Also agree, gently caress the EQ classic train. Tired old poo poo.

What's so bad about Coirnav? I went from p99 to Coirnav and never played any other TLP. Seems like EQ to me..

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Elephunk posted:

What's so bad about Coirnav? I went from p99 to Coirnav and never played any other TLP. Seems like EQ to me..

It launched like right in the middle of Luclin for Agnarr, pissing off players there by taking some wind out of the server before it even hit PoP. It also pissed off Phinny players a bit because the ruleset was just a exact copy of their server.

Also being a new server it mean all the shitlord professional RMTers moved there to do their thing.

From my experience it was just a toxic loving mess in the global chat channels for the first few months. That's not a unique or surprising thing for an online game but I don't remember them being nearly as bad on Agnarr.

The server seems fine now as I guess the prime time to hoard and sell krono is pretty much over now. The population is alright but it's really clear them pushing a server a year is fragmenting the population and burning people out on the same old poo poo

I do expect another TLP next year because I don't think long term health of the game is a factor in their business decisions. I would be shocked if it's still running in five years

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Yea I think there’s one more big TLP to go and I wouldn’t be shocked if it was FV loot rules. Plus, DBG would make a lot of krono sales from it. I’d probably give it a try as long as it’s not starting in classic.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Just returned after a bunch of years, and decided to start up an Iksar SK on test.

Mostly plan to seek out fun/interesting questlines (Greenmist, Epic, etc) and do some exploration and dungeon crawling with a buddy.

Been tooling around with Heroes Journey stuff in Crescent Reach, which I’ve enjoyed so far.

Any must-do quests to target? Or should I just follow Heroes Journey as I level and explore zones/content?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Lots of expansions typically have like a big huge questline that goes through everything. Some are more interesting than others.

Kunark: Epic
Gates: BIC aug (I'm still wearing this on Phinny, lol)
Omens: Epic 2.0
DoDH: There's a simple charm aug quest but it's fun
TSS: Charm and Charm aug
TBS: Ring (although it's really just doing the Solteris raid)
SoF: Face aug

Those are just the ones I've done / working on off the top of my head (and Phinny is currently in SOF).

If you're into illusions (like I am) seems expansions start having those to do - TBS has one for a spectre illusion, SOF has one for a minotaur (super easy) and Wereorc (bunch of quests). There's other illusions but they're raid drops.

And I'm sure I'm forgetting about other things, and I don't know if there's SK specific stuff.

If you google "zam [expansion]" you'll get to the ZAM overview for the expansion, and usually it lists the more notable quests of an expansion.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Definitely get your 2.0 epics. You could also grind up your LDoN aug (probably don't do this) and do planar progression for the charm (or just for the hell of it) even though most of PoP is open now (or all of it?).

If nothing else, 2.0 epics are still pretty strong several expansions later, and downright needed on some classes just for their click effects.

You could also do the quests for the J5 mercenaries, or get enough gear/etc. to just do the skip.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
Kerafyrm down, farm mode engaged.

I was capped normal XP into 80 going into the fight, I think I was one death away from 79 when it ended. gently caress I forgot how much of a pain in the rear end Kerafyrm's Rage is....

edit: In other news, what guild is Marcone in, cause I submitted all five of our Crystallos kills and he hasn't bothered to update phinnyprogress...except to add CoC's kills.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Hoohah posted:

I was capped normal XP into 80 going into the fight, I think I was one death away from 79 when it ended. gently caress I forgot how much of a pain in the rear end Kerafyrm's Rage is....

edit: In other news, what guild is Marcone in, cause I submitted all five of our Crystallos kills and he hasn't bothered to update phinnyprogress...except to add CoC's kills.

There's a Marcone in my guild on Coirnav (In Virtue II). I can mention it next time I see him on if that's the right guy

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Hoohah posted:

Dayum dawg.

Well, first off, grats.

Second off, good lord that's a lot of deaths lol.

Entendre just had our second Meldrath kill, our third is Sunday I think. At that point I want us to go into Crystallos, but I've heard there's pushback to wait until 48 keys, which I think is dumb as hell. We could at least get the mini-bosses and start checking out the earlier fights.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Does kerafyrm have back flags it drops/gives when it dies?

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Tai posted:

Does kerafyrm have back flags it drops/gives when it dies?

Nope.

Backflags start again with Tower in SoD, each event in (normal) Tower drops 1 key.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Hoohah posted:

Nope.

Backflags start again with Tower in SoD, each event in (normal) Tower drops 1 key.

Urgh that sucks. I have a tiny itch.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Tai posted:

Urgh that sucks. I have a tiny itch.

Each event at the moment drops 12 flags, and most guilds are finishing up mains if not raid alts for Mansion, and you can always be pushed into Crystallos w/o any loot issues. Progression is literally nothing to worry about, except getting a group to do MMM and Crystallos open world since you need both.

The only time flagging becomes a pain in the dick is Underfoot and House of Thule, which both have back flags but have limited primary flags.

Speaking of, my suspicion is regardless of people posting about it, they're not going to change the flag drop rate for Phinigel. The rumor is that they hate that people have to split raid to get flags, but even though they have until March, they simply don't think that it matters enough if not everyone can get flagged for Convorteum or Sanctum Somnium. There's been a number of solutions suggested, but they don't like any of the options presented.

Hoohah fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 3, 2018

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I just don't understand the resistance to double/tripling the flags for content that's several years old, especially to help out one of your like 3 popular servers.

Just don't get it.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Any guilds with goons in allow social members that may come back to raiding at a later date? I might just potter about doing solo(milo)/group stuff for awhile. Monk +merc is OP. Maybe jump on some casual old content raids on off days if allowed.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
I'll say what got me banned from the everquest subreddit.

Don't go back Tai! It's not worth it!

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Tai posted:

Any guilds with goons in allow social members that may come back to raiding at a later date? I might just potter about doing solo(milo)/group stuff for awhile. Monk +merc is OP. Maybe jump on some casual old content raids on off days if allowed.

You've already said you're not at all interested in loot council so I'm not sure if EoE would be a good fit for you.

Regardless, if you're just looking for a place to hang out and maybe do offhours raids, we have a Friends and Family rank and when we do offhours, we just roll items (FM mains need, everyone else greed)

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Krazuel posted:

I'll say what got me banned from the everquest subreddit.

Don't go back Tai! It's not worth it!

I never saw past GoD during release days. I popped back a month or two here and there from VoA onwards but never saw OoW to HoT.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I can't believe CoC hasn't cleared Crystallos yet.

We step into it tomorrow. I'm not expecting us to clear it this week, but I'm looking forward to getting a taste of it.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
16 days until Luclin on Coirnav ! I'm actually looking forward to it as it will be first time most of the people in my guild will have done exp groups as 'mains' in months.

Theres plenty of raiders who started after everyone else had already hit 60 so have never grouped with anyone other than alts.

It will be interesting to see what 6 decent geared mains can actually do.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I think now you have to fight Emp in his room, right? For Phinny we pulled him out the whole time.

I think now everyone also has to do VT the "correct" way (but we always did that anyways - get ready for 5 hour slogs full of trash).

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Can you even key fast enough before PoP unlocks that VT is worthwhile?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
The hardcore guilds will be in there in a couple of days.

On Phinny, I was in a casual scum guild at the time, and we had it cleared after about a month.

2 months of VT is still worth it, but if you feel that's not worth it, then probably a server where you get a new expansion every 3 months isn't for you, heh.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Open world VT is now a 1.5 day repsawn (I think) plus/minus 12 hours. I think AHR is still plus/minus 24 hours. You can roll into PoP massively over geared if you regularly split instances and hit open world targets if you don’t mind some trash clearing. I’m sure open world AHR trash clearing races are going to give some sweet tears on the boards.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

xZAOx posted:

The hardcore guilds will be in there in a couple of days.

On Phinny, I was in a casual scum guild at the time, and we had it cleared after about a month.

2 months of VT is still worth it, but if you feel that's not worth it, then probably a server where you get a new expansion every 3 months isn't for you, heh.

I haven't done Luclin since it was current and was genuinely unsure - i just remember it taking like weeks to get all the poo poo.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Baconroll posted:

It will be interesting to see what 6 decent geared mains can actually do.

Not a lot honestly. Minus farming your Emp and VT key, there’s not a lot to do.

Griegs End took a huge nerf I heard but should still be good relative to all the dumpster exp zones along as you have ranger(s). The zone is also packed as it’s an easy zone.

Tbh, with a some key AA’s, I’d just roll around SG destroying everything and rolling in cash from vendoring gems, bazaar some of the items. Fellspine belt and various bard weapons should sell well. Deep water ink from the seals and walruses sell well even on phinny due to the cultural armour and people levelling research for achievements etc.

If you have 2 enchanters and ideally 2 AE classes (1 wiz is fine with FT 15 and some VT gear/emp robe), go and blow up The Deep or acrylia. Deep is better exp but AC will drop more cash drops for trade skills that people suck up on mass for stupid prices the first few weeks. Both zones will be heavily farmed.

mattisacomputer
Jul 13, 2007

Philadelphia Sports: Classy and Sophisticated.

Is there a goon chatchannel on corinav?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I assume the serverwide channel is still around, pretty sure it was serverwide.gchat:fygm but that was like 5 years ago.

I should probably join that, I'm bumbling around Coirnav against my better judgment as an enchanter named Allways.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah, the serverwide is still there, but I haven't seen a message in it in months. I think there's usually like 4 of us in it.

Also, Crystallos is challenging. Last week we got into it, did minis and 1 warder, yesterday was our full raid force in there.

Is there a better strat for dealing with adds on Tj (fire warder)? We were trying to stun lock them down. This fight was chaos. We tried doing it last week a couple of nights but no luck, but it finally worked last night.

Air warder (Vys) was also a real kick in the dick. I really don't think that one is as tough as it seems, just several mechanics that all have to be executed correctly. Took us a bit, but we got it.

We also got brood mother down - I had heard it was easy, but we had a serious problem with her seeing us kill the adds. LOS didn't matter (we were around several turns for some kills). We got her down after a few wipes, but it was super messy too. We ended up just summon tanking her as best we could until all the adds were finished (which took a bit), then killed her. The only consistent way she didn't seem to see us killing the adds were if we dragged them to one of the other rooms.

Tuesday we start on Kerafym, that should be fun....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

mattisacomputer posted:

Is there a goon chatchannel on corinav?

There's a serverwide one mentioned in the op. I forgot to put it on autojoin when I switched from Agnarr to Coirnav so I haven't been in there in a while. There's also a Coirnav general discord that I think can be found linked on the Reddit board. My characters on Coirnav are Glower and Librarian if you want to shoot me a tell