Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I've got 3 beta codes. PM me your best dad joke for a key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Doctor Zero posted:

I don’t understand the PVP flagging systems it seems like it’s the exact opposite of what it should be.

If I flag myself as pacifist then I can’t hurt anyone but everyone can hurt me? Am I reading it wrong? That’s what I thought it was but your experience shows it’s the other way around.

it's not really "flagging" so much as everyone has a pvp damage shield that reduces incoming pvp damage by like 90%. if you deal damage to another player or a player's base, your damage shield gets removed. if you flag pacifist, i think it just stops you from actually dealing damage to other players in ways that would lose you that shield, so had i flagged pacifist i probably wouldn't have dealt damage to the punji sticks and wouldn't have become vulnerable

so the obvious implication is that when your shield is down and other players' shields are up they have a massive, massive, massive advantage

i also didnt gently caress around with pvp enough to see the ~nuances~ of the wanted system but im sure its just as counterintuitive and terrible

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

DebonaireD posted:

this wasn't going to be the trainwreck they were hoping for.

it was an absolute toilet fire and i've already made a post on /r/relationships about the upset it's caused in my close personal friendship with pip boy and his debonair ploys

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
PvP really is a mess. The rules seem very inconsistent and arbitrary, like the wanted and revenge mechanics.

We rolled around trying to take a camp, got into a big scuffle with the owner’s team and we could all really only fight one other person, then immediately spawned back after death with all our flags removed to go contest it again. We got bored pretty quick and left after the workshop changed hands five times in as many minutes.

Also I once looted a box, not at someone’s camp, and instantly became wanted and someone killed me. All for a fancy hairbrush.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tenzarin posted:

Its going to be a nightmare to setup a character because the only time you can target cards, is the single card you can pick for lvling up a stat.

In practice I'm liking the new perk system less than I anticipated, and a big part of that is the clumsy presentation (why the massive SPECIAL selection screen that doesn't allow me check my perks? Yes you can back out, but I did so basically every time. I don't think it even shows the current SPECIAL distribution when leveling then up, but not sure.)

Also should be a way to check available perk cards that you get access to from leveling but didn't choose during leveling. And I don't love being in the dark about what's coming up in future levels (a bit reminiscent of FO1 and 2 in that regard)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
What would also be great is some way of knowing what plans and recipes you have learned already. Wast 240 caps buying two plans I already had.

There are many QoL things that need changing or implemented in this game.

And gently caress me for hitting that 400lb limit. Need to sell ammo, aid, and scrap I do not need. But I have like 20 pounds of cosmetics. Make the wardrobe weigh 0 Bethesda!!!

Finding out my sweet fireman mask was giving me -4 perception was terrible too.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 5, 2018

Slybo
Mar 6, 2005

mormonpartyboat posted:

other than people running up and whacking me with boards until they got bored and left, my first experience with pvp was uhhhh

I think that was me.

It was the BETA. I figured if I'm ever gonna hit a stranger in the back of the head with a board now would be the time.
I was bug testing.

Slybo fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 5, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

What would also be great is some way of knowing what plans and recipes you have learned already. Wast 240 caps buying two plans I already had.

The game will constantly (and painfully) remind you of the need for, but lack of an inventory overhaul

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
I played the entire 8 hour beta session and ran into 2 interesting bugs. The first were random man-sized holes in the geometry on the SE end of the map where your character falls halfway into the map and cant move. I had to drop a mine on myself to respawn.

The second was after finally finding a Plasma rifle, the green bolts harmlessly passed right through enemies and dealt zero damage. No hit marker, no anything. How did THAT get past QA?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
So, I had a blast with my two other friends playing this. One of them had an issue with how easy the game is and other things (read: he's gotten back into EVE online on such a level that all his free time is soaked by it.) But the other friend had a blast and is down.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Oh yeah I kept falling half through the ground down there and the far North West.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Prophecy120 posted:

The second was after finally finding a Plasma rifle, the green bolts harmlessly passed right through enemies and dealt zero damage. No hit marker, no anything. How did THAT get past QA?

Was that possibly some form of lag? Yesterday some enemies I shot would randomly not take any damage from my hunting rifle, despite the hit confirmation around my reticle. Happened multiple times in different places.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
Possibly? But I doubt it. I had no other lag or weapon issues in any of the beta windows. I tried it in different areas on different mobs and even different servers. The only thing I wasn't able to try was maybe swap the short barrel out for a long and see if that changes anything.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Rinkles posted:

In practice I'm liking the new perk system less than I anticipated, and a big part of that is the clumsy presentation (why the massive SPECIAL selection screen that doesn't allow me check my perks? Yes you can back out, but I did so basically every time. I don't think it even shows the current SPECIAL distribution when leveling then up, but not sure.)

part of the interface stupidity is because you can level up one SPECIAL and pick a perk card for another

and while the cards are way better an idea than the old school p&p system that had no place in an fps, the cards themselves are extremely boring and the existence of t2 and t3 cards soaking up your card slots is insanely bad design

and then you can hot swap them at any time so everyone is a hacker or lockpicker as long as they push butan a few times before and after

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
there's going to be a person who swaps loot perk cards for every container or corpse and every day we stray further from the pip boys light

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Mr Hootington posted:

And gently caress me for hitting that 400lb limit. Need to sell ammo, aid, and scrap I do not need. But I have like 20 pounds of cosmetics. Make the wardrobe weigh 0 Bethesda!!!

Oh wow that's something I hadn't thought of. I agree. If the cosmetic is purely cosmetic it shouldn't weigh anything.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Don't cosmetics weigh less than a tenth of a pound? My beef is with stimpacks which at a pound a piece are eating about thirty loving pounds of space and not counting what's on my character.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I found a house:

Glenn Quebec posted:

Don't cosmetics weigh less than a tenth of a pound? My beef is with stimpacks which at a pound a piece are eating about thirty loving pounds of space and not counting what's on my character.

IIRC there are perks to reduce the weight of stims.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Wait, do perks lessen the weight of things even in storage?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

No

I did find a bunch of new items that were kinda cool, but all they are is junk and most just give ceramic, steel, or wood. It would be interesting if say the food dehydrator I found let me make jerky.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 5, 2018

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Games fun, I was wrong.

I feel like we’ve already done like half the content though, so might have growing pains a little while after launch.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Glenn Quebec posted:

That might cause some problems when you choose to switch perks (so I'm guessing no).

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Then my point stands that they weigh too drat much for storage.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Mr Hootington posted:

There are many QoL things that need changing or implemented in this game.

Finding out my sweet fireman mask was giving me -4 perception was terrible too.

You can’t sell ammo! Yay!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

ymgve posted:

So I'll just dump it into a pit.

The caps scarcity is an obvious grind to keep people busy.

Luckily chems cheese this.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Moose-Alini posted:

Games fun, I was wrong.

I feel like we’ve already done like half the content though, so might have growing pains a little while after launch.

Absolutely this - but I see it more as, if you enjoy poking around Bethesda's worlds, and seeing the little environment stories they make - whether that's little more than a skeleton buried under a toppled Nuka Cola machine, or the operations of deep cover clandestine Chinese operatives - then go poke around and enjoy the scenes, with friends/goons/whomever, then move on when you've had your fill.

Hopefully mods and private servers will be a thing down the line, and that may do something about offering a long-tail. Otherwise, probably better to not expect it, and plan purchase accordingly.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
At the end of the server time yesterday I tried to PvP 2 level 9s while being level 7.

I was able to get one guy down but the game refused to throw another grenade despite having them equipped and I got taken down and t-bagged in turn.

Still fun though, worth a pre-order.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
removing the stuff cap on the stash kind of doesnt fix the core game loop problem though - you explore and gather mountains of crap and use that crap to.......???????

one of the core problems with survival games is that your basic needs are usually trivialized and then you need something to do other than scraping enough wood together to get a fire going and enough meds together so you dont die of radiation

but it seems there's no real endgame stuff other than nukes, and the way those work is to throw harder monsters into the scavenge -> shred -> bank loop

i dont get it

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013

Kiggles posted:

Hopefully mods and private servers will be a thing down the line, and that may do something about offering a long-tail. Otherwise, probably better to not expect it, and plan purchase accordingly.
Even private servers will be online so I wouldn't expect too much moddability.

https://twitter.com/dcdeacon/status/1034123132284624896?lang=en

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Fuzzykins posted:

That place is a bit of a mixed bag. Some of the topics look straight from an advertising agency sometimes. There's people who are absolutely adamant that players who have an issue with the stash limit are just playing the game wrong.

I'm mixed in the stash size limit. It forces to to engage with the mechanics of the game (trading with players being the biggest) but it is also a giant pain in the rear end. I completely understand someone not like the limit. That said, I managed to keep my stash under 200 lbs using the tips I posted earlier so it is possible without wasting a lot of time. My biggest issue was trying to squire away weapons, armor, and ammo that I didn't need/want high enough to use. I've I started only keeping rare items and scrap in my stash life got way easier.

Ammo and chems are so loving heavy! I totally agree with everyone saying stims and other items weigh too much. I give away 100% of the ammo I don't need (everything but .308 and shotgun shells). I'm also constantly high and drunk. :catdrugs:

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 5, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fuzzykins posted:

Even private servers will be online so I wouldn't expect too much moddability.

https://twitter.com/dcdeacon/status/1034123132284624896?lang=en

Todd promised me.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
why isnt there a perk card to reduce the carry weight of pip boy bobbleheads

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

ymgve posted:

I don't mind this because otherwise they would make ammo scarce and I like my 10mm SMG.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Nichael posted:

I played for about an hour just now and it seemed really boring. I'm glad I got to try it because I was really curious, but I think I need NPCs and a story to keep me interested, this just isn't for me.

did you play by yourself or with other players in a group?

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
With a group it’s really hard to absorb the stories. Everyone’s talking over your holo tapes, and no one wants to sit around for a half hour while you read 20 computer entries.

And only one person being able to use a bench or a quest giver at a time is very frustrating. I kept thinking I got the quests next leg, only to find out I didn’t after we finish it. Maybe a bug, maybe the robot never dinged me, idunno.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Moose-Alini posted:

With a group it’s really hard to absorb the stories. Everyone’s talking over your holo tapes, and no one wants to sit around for a half hour while you read 20 computer entries.

And only one person being able to use a bench or a quest giver at a time is very frustrating. I kept thinking I got the quests next leg, only to find out I didn’t after we finish it. Maybe a bug, maybe the robot never dinged me, idunno.

My experience is that you're seeing your team leaders quest update and stack with yours, which is very confusing. I lost an hour of time on a quest because of it.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
I want to make a second character that just solos or groups with randos for a leg of a quest or two then goes separate ways. That way I can absorb the environment a bit better. When I'm in a group it feels likely it is more about our story of getting into mischief rather than the game's bleak lonely one.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I like many things in this game. But something I hate is how long are some tapes. You either are good or brief, and some tapes are very long but not very interesting. This is made worse by making hearing a entire tape to unlock the next step, and some stuff cutting tape play forcing to ear it again from the start.

Had to change a single thing, it would change this.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

ymgve posted:

I wish we could at least trade for other ammo. .38 ammo is a waste now that I've got plenty of 10mm, 44, .45 and .308

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Being able to fast forward thru a tape and auto flag any important info into a few lines of subtitles seems like an easy ui thing that would make it play better