Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Didn't see this mentioned but Spotify finally released an Apple Watch app:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/2/18055790/spotify-apple-watch-app-official-testing

It's not as good as the Apple Music one since you can't actually listen to your music without the phone or whatever, but for right now it's a start and I'll take it.

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1058510814225883136

If you want to beta test Spotify stuff you can do that here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Answers/How-do-I-become-a-Spotify-Beta-tester/ta-p/4551518

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Is there an easy way to tell which apps on one's phone offer Watch companion apps? I'm strongly considering getting an Apple Watch but I'm kinda curious how many things I currently whip my phone out for, could be replaced by using the watch.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

bitprophet posted:

Is there an easy way to tell which apps on one's phone offer Watch companion apps? I'm strongly considering getting an Apple Watch but I'm kinda curious how many things I currently whip my phone out for, could be replaced by using the watch.

Yes, just scroll down in the app.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Red Oktober posted:

Yes, just scroll down in the app.

Will that show if they download the app but don't own a watch, though?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Won't tell you how well those apps "replace" phone apps, though. The YNAB app for instance just shows you the budget balances with no way to edit anything. From my experience most watch apps are similar - you can view some info but in most cases you can't really do anything with the apps on the watch.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Running ios 12.1 and whatever the latest thats available for my series 0 stainless. It ha started losing the connection to the phone constantly, or sometimes showing that it's connected but nothing is getting updated (weather, calendar etc). I've restarted both devices. Right now the watch shows that it's connected which is bad because my phone is powered off.

Sooooo...

Suggestions? Time for a replacement? The screen is burned in something fierce, so I could probably talk myself into it, but the new watches offer literally nothing new feature-wise that I want or need.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Eh, get a 3 or a 4 or whatever is available at the store, test drive it for a week and see how you feel about it. If it's bleh, return it. It's gonna be a huge upgrade coming from a 0 but if you just don't care about the watch as a whole you might just as well call it quits.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zwille posted:

Eh, get a 3 or a 4 or whatever is available at the store, test drive it for a week and see how you feel about it. If it's bleh, return it. It's gonna be a huge upgrade coming from a 0 but if you just don't care about the watch as a whole you might just as well call it quits.

Yeah it's just what I use it for...notifications, timers, hey siri...doesn't need much, and it sucks to have to spend that much just to keep doing that. I also don't want to downgrade to an aluminum model. I don't want to get rid of it either, since I have really come to rely on it for notifications. Maybe come december I'll shop for a used 3. Thanks.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

That’s exactly my usage pattern - that and workouts. The upgrade was worth it alone for the fact that I didn’t have to charge it twice daily anymore.

If you can wait you’ll certainly get some cool deals in December I guess!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I have a s2 and it says my watchOS 5.0.1 is up to date. Is something messed up? I heard Apple just pushed out 5.1.1.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Housh posted:

I have a s2 and it says my watchOS 5.0.1 is up to date. Is something messed up? I heard Apple just pushed out 5.1.1.
Shows up on mine. Sometimes these things are in waves, though.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah it's just what I use it for...notifications, timers, hey siri...doesn't need much, and it sucks to have to spend that much just to keep doing that. I also don't want to downgrade to an aluminum model. I don't want to get rid of it either, since I have really come to rely on it for notifications. Maybe come december I'll shop for a used 3. Thanks.

You could always check for Series 2 refurbs.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The watches have not held their value that well, so I think the resale market is where you should shop.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Duckman2008 posted:

The watches have not held their value that well, so I think the resale market is where you should shop.

Used isn’t always a good bet for anything with a sealed battery.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Running ios 12.1 and whatever the latest thats available for my series 0 stainless. It ha started losing the connection to the phone constantly, or sometimes showing that it's connected but nothing is getting updated (weather, calendar etc). I've restarted both devices. Right now the watch shows that it's connected which is bad because my phone is powered off.

Sooooo...

Suggestions? Time for a replacement? The screen is burned in something fierce, so I could probably talk myself into it, but the new watches offer literally nothing new feature-wise that I want or need.

I went from a S0 to a S4 and man, the difference is night and day. I would reallllllly recommend the 4. If you don't want to blow that much cash, do a 3. I wouldn't go below that.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I intended to buy used from eBay, but I actually ended up getting a new series 3 LTE for $250. Series 2 runs maybe $30-50 less than that so it hardly seems worth it

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Sooooo...

My S2 has been doing the same thing on the newest updates fwiw.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Grassy Knowles posted:

Will that show if they download the app but don't own a watch, though?
Nope, just did exactly that and the 'My Watch' screen consists solely of the "please pair" button. I can scroll around the app store tab and squint for "OPEN" vs "GET" but that's about it. Thankfully this isn't something I need to vet carefully before buying, have plenty of other reasons to buy one so extra app integrations are just gravy on top.

Zwille posted:

Won't tell you how well those apps "replace" phone apps, though.
Also fair. Again, for me it's all extra on top of "stop missing notifications because your leg doesn't feel your phone vibrate", exercise & sleep tracking, silent alarms, etc.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Gonna ask again, why does Calendars keep pushing me notifications for events that I've disabled notifications for? If I goto the event on my phone in Calendars, under "Alert" I have "None." On my iPhone my default alert times for events are "None." On some events I manually enable alerts, but for the most part I leave them off. My iPhone doesn't push me alerts for the events that have "None" for Alerts, but my watch does. Does "mirror iPhone notifications" mean something different to Apple or something? Because it's not mirroring them and it's really annoying.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Is it just a regular popup like "hi this event is happening now" or is it "hi it's time to leave"? Because I get those notifications when I enter an address for an event because that automatically activates the "alert me when it's time to leave" thingie.

Failing that, have you tried re-pairing? I remember alerts loving up for me one time just like you described, but for a different app, and re-pairing fixed that. Drove me nuts until I re-paired.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Zwille posted:

Is it just a regular popup like "hi this event is happening now" or is it "hi it's time to leave"? Because I get those notifications when I enter an address for an event because that automatically activates the "alert me when it's time to leave" thingie.

Failing that, have you tried re-pairing? I remember alerts loving up for me one time just like you described, but for a different app, and re-pairing fixed that. Drove me nuts until I re-paired.

I want to say I've seen both 'if you leave now it'll take x minutes' and 'theres an event in 15 minutes' notifications. I don't have the "alert me when it's time to leave" thing enabled at all, on any device.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Weird. No idea then. It's disabled in the events themselves, too?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

eddiewalker posted:

My S2 has been doing the same thing on the newest updates fwiw.
My friend with a S0 has the same problem. I'm worried about updating.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
In a similar vein, I have some contacts that I’ve given a silent ringtone and turned vibrate off (for fundraisers, etc.), but my watch vibrates the whole time the call rings. “Mirror iPhone” only goes so far, I guess.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Shows up on mine. Sometimes these things are in waves, though.
You still have your s2? Any unpairing issues on 5.1.1?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Zwille posted:

Weird. No idea then. It's disabled in the events themselves, too?

Yes. Disabled in my macOS calendars and iOS calendars.

e: The weird thing is that it doesn't do this for all events, but I can't figure out how it decides. I have a calendar with times blocked out in big chunks, like 8am-5pm is just "work." Sometimes I get these notifications. Sometimes I don't. I don't want to disable calendar alerts completely because they do have value, just only the ones I choose.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Housh posted:

You still have your s2? Any unpairing issues on 5.1.1?

Yes and not that I've noticed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My S4 (LTE) has been having some really inconsistent battery usage over the last week or so. I generally charge it at night then throw it on before going to bed. It doesn't really uses a whole lot overnight and I use it to track my sleep with Autosleep. However every other night it'll spike and drain like halfway through in the 6-8 hours of sleep time. Last night it straight up died. I'm now charging it in the office but neither my S0 or S3 ever had issues with the battery. The usage/standy numbers look good and not indicating something running non-stop so I'm a bit stumped right now.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Just got back from buying my wife a S4 for a Christmas present and can already tell that never using one was the only thing that made me think I didn't need one of these. Looks like I'm going to be in a two Apple Watch household soon.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I want to use the advanced modular face on the Watch 4, but I only have like 4 apps that appear in that giant complication in the middle. Does anyone have any good recommendations for something to put there?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

AdmiralViscen posted:

I want to use the advanced modular face on the Watch 4, but I only have like 4 apps that appear in that giant complication in the middle. Does anyone have any good recommendations for something to put there?
Weather and Activity are good options.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

After logging a workout the app shows a summary screen where you need to scroll down to tap to exit. Is there any way to get rid of this summary display? I always forget to clear it after getting to work on my bike in the morning, and 9 hours later when I’m heading home the app is still stuck on that screen when I try to record my commute home. I could just try to remember to scroll down and hit “ok” every time but I’d rather not.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Are there no 3rd-Party complications? I'd like to see Outlook (mostly for my calendar) and spotify.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Are there no 3rd-Party complications? I'd like to see Outlook (mostly for my calendar) and spotify.

Outlook has a complication and so does Spotify now (Spotify one you have to join the beta test to get it though)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Tab8715 posted:

A lot of 3rd party apps have complications. The problem is that many of them are only available on certain watch faces and on certain complication spots on the face.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
And then they never refresh and show old data or a placeholder.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

And then they never refresh and show old data or a placeholder.

aka every weather complication ever.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

3rd party complications can only refresh every 15 or 90 minutes. Some lesser known apps get around this by using the Calendar complication to push events since that can be updated at any time.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

LODGE NORTH posted:

3rd party complications can only refresh every 15 or 90 minutes. Some lesser known apps get around this by using the Calendar complication to push events since that can be updated at any time.

That’s pretty poo poo. Hopefully watchOS 6 opens that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

aka every weather complication ever.

My friend have you heard the good news about CARROT weather?