Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Krankenstyle posted:

lmao why is that not just dots on a calendar or

I mean it basically is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

Krankenstyle posted:

to highlight the differense between them (below is a random graph)

Ugh, put it right in my veins

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krankenstyle posted:

to highlight the differense between them (below is a random graph)

You’re a monster.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Subjunctive posted:

You’re a monster.

cmon the intent of that original graph should be to show how quickly theyre replaced. this kind of graph will show however many days are in between the replacements...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krankenstyle posted:

cmon the intent of that original graph should be to show how quickly theyre replaced. this kind of graph will show however many days are in between the replacements...

They aren’t all replacements for each other!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:pwn:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://twitter.com/TerribleMaps/status/1058712571191193600?s=19

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

maybe theres some in north africa and it is just cut off?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

HardDiskD posted:

maybe theres some in north africa and it is just cut off?

that's why it's so terrible

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ah mate

https://twitter.com/TerribleMaps/status/696753105078190080

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The maps thread is that way.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Carbon dioxide posted:

The maps thread is that way.

Na those are charts

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

This rules

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Crikey!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Rumda posted:

Na those are charts

They're very detailed scatter plots of the relationship between the longitude of points of land and the latitude. Once we figure out the correct best-fit curve we'll be able to extrapolate new data points and find Atlantis

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

looks to me like we have the exact right place to put it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I thought that was Donnie’s spray tan.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Big Block of Cheese Day has really gotten out of hand.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

If you have extra cheese couldnt you just give it to people who will eat it? How is this a problem? Is there also a chronic shortage of macaroni or something?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I will take on this burden, have the cheese delivered to my address at

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

I will take on this burden, have the cheese delivered to my address at

You know American cheese tastes like plastic right?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I shamelessly stole this to post and Twitter and proceeded to get educated on the matter.
It's still funny even knowing the reason why though

Croccers has a new favorite as of 15:03 on Nov 4, 2018

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Carbon dioxide posted:

You know American cheese tastes like plastic right?

Where does it say it's American cheese and not just cheese in America?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Use the cheese to build a wall

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Nenonen posted:

Use the cheese to build a wall

Based on 900303 cubic yards and a 1954 mile (US-Mexico border) wall, you get a height * thickness of 0.2189 square meters. That means a 4 meter tall by 5 cm thick wall, or a 2 meter tall by 10 cm thick wall.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Carbon dioxide posted:

Based on 900303 cubic yards and a 1954 mile (US-Mexico border) wall, you get a height * thickness of 0.2189 square meters. That means a 4 meter tall by 5 cm thick wall, or a 2 meter tall by 10 cm thick wall.
One of the more practical proposals, and likely to deter immigrants.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Carbon dioxide posted:

Reinforce it with excess soybeans.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I had to google what American cheese was and found out what happened to some of the extra cheese.

govenment cheese wiki posted:

Government cheese in the 21st century
On August 23, 2016, the U.S Department of Agriculture released that they planned to purchase approximately eleven million pounds (5,000 t) of cheese, worth $20 million, to give aid to food banks and food pantries from across the United States, to reduce a $1.2 billion cheese surplus that has been at its highest level in thirty years, and to stabilize farm prices. This purchase also added revenues for the dairy producers. Regarding the purchase, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said, "This commodity purchase is part of a robust, comprehensive safety net that will help reduce a cheese surplus that is at a 30-year high while, at the same time, moving a high-protein food to the tables of those most in need. USDA will continue to look for ways within its authorities to tackle food insecurity and provide for added stability in the marketplace."

Currently, as part of the USDA Food Nutrition Service Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP) eligible Seniors over Age 60 are provided one 32 ounce block of processed cheese food each month supplied by participating dairies.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

'american cheese' is salty plastic but most americans don't buy american cheese

it's mostly for boomers and chuds

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I'm gonna guess that if you try to get rid of the stockpile of cheese, the market will interpret this as a increased demand for cheese. Production will increase, thereby making the stockpile bigger.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

evobatman posted:

I'm gonna guess that if you try to get rid of the stockpile of cheese, the market will interpret this as a increased demand for cheese. Production will increase, thereby making the stockpile bigger.

Yeah, unless they're buying it below cost and it just helped stop the bleeding it could definitely make the problem worse. There's also the issue of keeping businesses on a lifeline that might really need to be let go.

A lot of this depends on how long this excess is expected to on, and whether demand might rebound in short order. The bailout for GM was a good idea because it kept the industry and supply chain alive until demand returned.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

evobatman posted:

See also: EU agricultural subsidies; Price of table wine in France vs price of bottled water in France.

(Or for a more market-driven pricing shenanigan: Price of milk in Sweden vs price of bottled water in Sweden.)

Hippie Hedgehog has a new favorite as of 20:00 on Nov 4, 2018

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
https://twitter.com/wef/status/1058675216027660288

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Presumably “criminal” is racist shorthand

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Kill all fatties.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Wait, so is an AI gonna try to suss out human gender with an optical sensor? We're not even good at that, and we're us.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

I was a survey given to human beings to help illustrate the types of moral dilemmas AI cars might have to face.

quote:

To conduct the survey, the researchers designed what they call “Moral Machine,” a multilingual online game in which participants could state their preferences concerning a series of dilemmas that autonomous vehicles might face. For instance: If it comes right down it, should autonomous vehicles spare the lives of law-abiding bystanders, or, alternately, law-breaking pedestrians who might be jaywalking? (Most people in the survey opted for the former.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
In every single one of those options the self-driving car should drive itself into a ravine to avoid hitting any of them.