Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Donovan Trip posted:

Being able to fast forward thru a tape and auto flag any important info into a few lines of subtitles seems like an easy ui thing that would make it play better

Simply unlocking the next step in a quest as soon you play it would be enough, so hearing the complete tape become optional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tei posted:

I like many things in this game. But something I hate is how long are some tapes. You either are good or brief, and some tapes are very long but not very interesting. This is made worse by making hearing a entire tape to unlock the next step, and some stuff cutting tape play forcing to ear it again from the start.

Had to change a single thing, it would change this.

I mean implausible videogame disaster diaries are a very tired trope at this point, and it might be my personal genre fatigue speaking, but I'm finding most of the stories trite and uninteresting. At least 4's were concise.

The general tone is different, bit more serious and dark, but that doesn't automatically equate to better writing.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Has there been any word on whether this will be a midnight release the night of the 12th or what?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Rinkles posted:

The general tone is different, bit more serious and dark, but that doesn't automatically equate to better writing.

This new serious tone sounds like a perfect fit for a game that plans on funding itself by encouraging in-game purchases to enable funny fruit-hat wearing clowns teabagging ghoul corpses.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

^Ghost post^

E: it's not that great a shift, and I don't know how consistent it is outside the starting area

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 5, 2018

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rinkles posted:

^Ghost post^

E: it's not that great a shift, and I don't know how consistent it is outside the starting area

It is almost all the game's stories are. The most "light hearted" is helping a psycho raider to begin rebuilding before anyone else.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Rinkles posted:

^Ghost post^
I put skill points into Stealth thank you :colbert:

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Scott Forstall posted:

I wish we could at least trade for other ammo. .38 ammo is a waste now that I've got plenty of 10mm, 44, .45 and .308

I thought I had lots of 10mm until I got a 10mm SMG. :(

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Tempus Thales posted:

did you play by yourself or with other players in a group?

By myself, but I doubt it'd matter. If it's an online game, I like it to either be competitive like Dota or an RTS, or go all in on sandbox like Eve. This doesn't really do either. I'm not even saying this is bad, I'm just saying I'm pretty confident that this isn't for me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Wouldn't unused ammo types still be useful for disassembly? Like in NV.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Wouldn't unused ammo types still be useful for disassembly? Like in NV.

You can not scrap ammo.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mr Hootington posted:

You can not scrap ammo.

Are all the work benches occupied?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

You can not scrap ammo.
:whitewater:

but... but there's a gunpowder item now and... an increased focus on crafting and scrapping

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Mr Hootington posted:

You can not scrap ammo.

I never realized this and it stinks.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rinkles posted:

:whitewater:

but... but there's a gunpowder item now and... an increased focus on crafting and scrapping

During one of a youtubers streams he tried scrapping .38 ammo to try and make .308 ammo. It was very good when he discovered that even using a tinkerer's bench didn't work.

Edit: ammo is used only to shoot enemies or make brown paper bags you can not light on fire.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 5, 2018

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so it sounds like this game is a pretty big mess then

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

eonwe posted:

I just found out bulking scrap only decreases weight for lead and aluminum. It stays the same for everything but acid which increase in weight.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

patch (30gb on pc for me)

https://twitter.com/Fallout/status/1059503746269495296

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

eonwe posted:

and how

it's sad because it could've been amazing if they had tried a little harder

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

i loving love pip boy

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lmao this game is going to be hundreds of gigs by the time its stable

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Rinkles posted:

patch (30gb on pc for me)

its not downloading any more data, its just reserving hard drive space so they can finally make the stash hold more than 400 lbs

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Mr Hootington posted:

I just found out bulking scrap only decreases weight for lead and aluminum. It stays the same for everything but acid which increase in weight.

:stonk:

That sucks! I wonder if that's by design or an oversight.

Edit: they really need to add scraping ammo for lead and gunpowder

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

mormonpartyboat posted:

its not downloading any more data, its just reserving hard drive space so they can finally make the stash hold more than 400 lbs

Progress!

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
Don't make 2 characters with the same name or the old one will be replaced and is gone forever. (self.fo76)

submitted 5 hours ago * by Abaddon2501

I stupidly made another character last night using the same name as my level 14 character. I normally use the same name on most games and just wasn't thinking when I typed it in again. It immediately replaced and deleted my level 14 character without warning. I contacted support and they told me they can not restore deleted characters. I'm going to submit a bug ticket. Don't do what I did.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mormonpartyboat posted:

Don't make 2 characters with the same name or the old one will be replaced and is gone forever. (self.fo76)

submitted 5 hours ago * by Abaddon2501

I stupidly made another character last night using the same name as my level 14 character. I normally use the same name on most games and just wasn't thinking when I typed it in again. It immediately replaced and deleted my level 14 character without warning. I contacted support and they told me they can not restore deleted characters. I'm going to submit a bug ticket. Don't do what I did.

oh my god

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

DebonaireD posted:

The greatest thing of all though is seeing all the relentlessly negative posters quietly loving off when they realized this wasn't going to be the trainwreck they were hoping for.

eonwe posted:

Well that didn't take long. :thumbsup:

A 30gb patch? How big is the vanilla game again?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
A character with that name does not exist anymore.

Congratulations doppelganger!

e;
Synth meta narrative?

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Ugh offloading stuff off my ssd so I can update. What.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Can't wait for a group of people all named Gary to form up and terrorize the...whatever this region is called

It's usually always "The something"

The Wasteland
The Capital Wasteland
The Mojave
The Commonwealth

The Appalachia doesn't sound quite right, or am I missing something painfully obvious here

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I hope it is more holotapes that lead me to a treasure chest with a pipe pistol (level 1), 24 rounds of .38, and 50 pre war fun bucks.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Yeah that’s most of the size of the base game. Have they not figured out this only replace what’s changed stuff?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Father Wendigo posted:

Well that didn't take long. :thumbsup:

A 30gb patch? How big is the vanilla game again?

45gb on PC and xbox1 and 95gb on ps4

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

Can't wait for a group of people all named Gary to form up and terrorize the...whatever this region is called

It's usually always "The something"

The Wasteland
The Capital Wasteland
The Mojave
The Commonwealth

The Appalachia doesn't sound quite right, or am I missing something painfully obvious here

The M.Y.O.F.Z.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
My tinker workbench plans are bugged and don't redeem in my inventory, which kinda sucks because its how you make ammo. Flatwoods has one, but I want to put one in my Tenpenny Tower camp

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Scott Forstall posted:

My tinker workbench plans are bugged and don't redeem in my inventory, which kinda sucks because its how you make ammo. Flatwoods has one, but I want to put one in my Tenpenny Tower camp

I ran into something similar. It turned out I couldn't learn the plan because it was already available in my CAMP. It looked locked but I guess I was missing some materials. Try it again once the BETA goes live.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
This is a fun game if you enjoy Bethesda open worlds, semi cooperative multiplayer and bugs. The writing isn't very good, but none of Bethesda's writing has ever grabbed me, yet I've put 100+ hours into every janky game since morrowind. That being said, I really like the variety of public quests and capturable workshops, had quite a bit of fun fighting over a workshop in the beta. The monster diversity, and roaming patrols are great, this is one of my favorite Bethesda maps I've played on and it seems to be the largest, with a great deal of variety. I can see how this game is definitely not for everyone, but my friends and I have been after a multiplayer bethesda game like this for a long time. Definitely not a game that will change anyone minds about Bethesda either way.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
TESO literally has better writing than every bethesda game besides Morrowind, which is hilarious

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I ran into something similar. It turned out I couldn't learn the plan because it was already available in my CAMP. It looked locked but I guess I was missing some materials. Try it again once the BETA goes live.

hmm, weird. I'll check tomorrow if I have time or Thursday. Patch notes can't come soon enough.

e: the map is a pain to get in and out of too. Start to get in, instead of the muscle memory of "open the pipboy" and if you go to the quest log, you can press RB to view it on the map, but press B for "back" and it takes you all the way out, so you have to go back into the pipboy, go to another quest, press RB...

B in that context should bring you back to the pipboy

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

God I hope the patch resets all our characters to level 1.