Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FFX’s combat for the most part is pretty brain dead. Use the ball player on flying enemies, use the big sword man on armadillos, use Chuckles on wolves. Of course you should first spend a minute having every other party member use their least damaging attacks to be sure everyone gets xp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Andrast posted:

Yeah it's cool as hell

exquisite tea posted:

Thanks for describing one of the best things about FFX-2, yes.

....a'ight, I'm walking away from this one.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

FFX’s combat for the most part is pretty brain dead. Use the ball player on flying enemies, use the big sword man on armadillos, use Chuckles on wolves. Of course you should first spend a minute having every other party member use their least damaging attacks to be sure everyone gets xp

You really shouldn't to do that unless you are determined to make the game take a billion times longer just to be slightly more ~optimal~

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Shindragon posted:

Hate that owl so much. Like I think the developers are assholes because you need his dumb rear end in order to beat the game otherwise it's unbeatable.

Man game mechanics back then were brutal.

Oh what's that? You forgot to do a thing or pick up an item? We wont' tell you it's important UNTIL the last loving second. Enjoy the RESTART. Bitch. (specifically Sierra Adventure games)

Here's an example that jumps out at me from KQ6, my favorite of the series. You are thrown into the labyrinth, a maze of similar looking rooms and death traps. Once you get thrown in there is no escape - if you did not come with everything you are going to need you will die. I think that if you don't have the tinderbox from the pawn shot you're already dead, but I can't remember. Anyway, you *need* to make notes at this point because if you are walking blindly you will leave one room, enter another and immediately die because there's no floor. There's a room with a floor tile puzzle and I can't remember if you need the manual to get through it or not; you'd already have had to use it to get through one round of copy protection so I think Alexander just knows the riddle and recites it as needed. Then there's a room with some gears and you need to use a brick you gained from the Isle of the Beast to solve that one, and when you see the Minotaur you need use a red scarf you also got from the Isle of the Beast (or maybe that' from the Isle of Wonder, I can't recall). So you need all those items before you climb the Cliffs of Logic because there is no warning about what is about to happen or time to prepare yourself.

That's not the dick move. The dick move is that there's a corpse in the labyrinth located in a dead end, and you need to take the two coins from his eyes so that like 4 hours later you can pay a guy in another area you can't back out of, and there's no way to return to the labyrinth once you escape. Again, this is an area you can access about 15 minutes into the game. You have to navigate a maze of deathtraps, have brought several key items from across the Green Isles, travel down an offshoot of the main path knowing that each room you enter could be a game over, and if you gently caress up one step it's back to a safety save.

I can't really hate the game because it's from an era where quality titles came out more slowly and it wasn't designed for the player to know the answers to every problem at a glance. It was designed to be something you started over a few times, tried different approaches, thought about during a coffee break, maybe call the help line if you get totally stuck. Once you solve the puzzle it can't be made challenging again, and while KQ6 has more branching paths and multiple solutions to problems than most games in the genre, it's still guilty of the same crimes as its siblings.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Andrast posted:

You really don't need to do that unless you are determined to make the game take a billion times longer just to be slightly more ~optimal~

Yeah it’s poo poo design

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah it’s poo poo design

or you could just occasionally change party members so all of them get somewhat leveled

It's not ideal but acting like it's a big deal is really dumb.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

looking back i can't think of a single FF I actually want to replay except possibly Lightning Returns, right now

rpg combat is boring

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's kind of a moot point anyway since Lulu really drops off by the end of the game and lol Kimahri, so your main party usually consists of Tidus, Yuna, Auron, and then Rikku/Wakka depending on what you choose to do with them.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s dumb to defend it imo

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Can we drop the FF talk

It's lame and argumentative

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

It’s dumb to defend it imo

It's dumb to say poo poo like "Of course you should first spend a minute having every other party member use their least damaging attacks to be sure everyone gets xp" because you absolutely shouldn't do that unless you hate yourself.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FF games have always had the problem where black mages are always severely underpowered by the late game compared to any other character that gets 15 attacks per turn for no resource cost

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

FF games have always had the problem where black mages are always severely underpowered by the late game compared to any other character that gets 15 attacks per turn

Yuna is very good with black magic late game :colbert:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Black August posted:

Man the combat was one of the BEST parts of FF10, all other beef with it aside

Also can we get FFX-2 again, just without it being a creep rear end cosplay game for fat shut-ins?

Can't believe you don't like Lightning Returns

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

FF games have always had the problem where black mages are always severely underpowered by the late game compared to any other character that gets 15 attacks per turn for no resource cost

ah, I see you haven't seen my ff14 logs

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

At least it isn't the D&D Wizard problem

Mages blow chunks in a lotta games

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The ONE cool thing about Kimahri is that he could use Lancet to learn Doom on Omega Weapon and that would work against many of the tougher bosses in the monster arena (if you survived for 256 turns lol).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Making fun of FFX-2 as being fap bait for nerds is weird because it is the most queer coded entry in the series as well. My gay little heart was so psyched to be able to play dress up with costumes that liked like Versace outfits.

It's also just a fun as hell game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
every time i look at this thread the final fantasy conversation has somehow gotten even more lame and reductive

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The Colonel posted:

every time i look at this thread the final fantasy conversation has somehow gotten even more lame and reductive

No-Fantasy November

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A while back but:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Realtalk the answer to both of these is this trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqKws80aGU8

That Optimus Prime-rear end voice gives me chills every time

XCOM 2's launch trailer also rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIRDb_O6qXA

XCOM lives

rookies die

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I should play FF9 again, it has been forever

maybe when the Switch version comes out

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

The Colonel posted:

be the change you want to see in the thread

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I got it for the Vita and I got frustrated by the jump rope challenge.

Then I sold my Vita

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Andrast posted:

It's dumb to say poo poo like "Of course you should first spend a minute having every other party member use their least damaging attacks to be sure everyone gets xp" because you absolutely shouldn't do that unless you hate yourself.

Not doing the obviously optimal thing because it’s tedious is cool. They just shouldn’t have made it tedious.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Forget that Diablo Mobile game, the new Kingdom Rush showed up on the Play Store out of nowhere but it's still "pre register". Looks basically done though so it should be out soon. No word on whether it'll be F2P or have an upfront price. All the previous ones have an upfront price and then also charge insane amounts for bonus heroes (which thankfully are 100% optional).

At least they don't have gacha elements

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Not doing the obviously optimal thing because it’s tedious is cool. They just shouldn’t have made it tedious.

I guess you don't like almost any JRPG then because man is that genre a shitshow if you have a compulsion to be optimal

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

As for me, it's dragon quest

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Actually it's pronounced "TIE-dus."

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't like ffx's combat because it uses it well for having lots of really unique boss fights but it has a poo poo ton of random encounters and it moves way too slow for how many the game has so it makes everything feel way more drawn out than it needs to be. it's sort of interesting for the first chunk of the game but playing like 30-40 hours of that gets old after a while

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

exquisite tea posted:

Actually it's pronounced "TEE-dus."

:colbert:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i don't like ffx's combat because it uses it well for having lots of really unique boss fights but it has a poo poo ton of random encounters and it moves way too slow for how many the game has so it makes everything feel way more drawn out than it needs to be

Yeah the encounter rate can be a bit high in ffx

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Looks like FFVIII retains the crown

May 8, 2006

The Colonel posted:

i don't like ffx's combat because it uses it well for having lots of really unique boss fights but it has a poo poo ton of random encounters and it moves way too slow for how many the game has so it makes everything feel way more drawn out than it needs to be. it's sort of interesting for the first chunk of the game but playing like 30-40 hours of that gets old after a while

I can agree with this, though I think it's a genre-wide problem. That's not to let FFX off the hook for it, more that when I revisit old JRPGs I pretty much need either provided speed boosts, like some of the recent FF rereleases, or for an emulator to handle that.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Help Im Alive posted:

Looks like FFVIII retains the crown

Just like Luigi, FFVIII always wins by staying in its corner while every other title gets in the brawl

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Andrast posted:

Linear games are good

linear games are good, but linear games with huge optional nonlinear segments like ff6 are better

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

TIDE-US AS IN TIDES AS IN OCEAN AS IN WATER THE loving THEME OF THE GAME AND THE WEATHER NAMING MOTIF

FOR
gently caress’S
SAKE

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Teedus as in Tedious as in the games bad.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I always thought it was pronounced "Tidus" but now I'm hearing it's pronounced "Tidus"? Make up your mind people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think optimally you want a turn-based system to go pretty fast and require just a little bit of thinking when dealing with regular enemies, but not be like constantly overwhelming and mentally exhausting outside of boss fights, and that's where i kind of disconnect with ff battle systems because they always make every fight feel just slow and fatiguing enough that i stop wanting to engage with them entirely

it's better than the other extreme of absolute pointless trash where you basically don't have to engage at all but it still takes up too much time from sitting through animations at least, but i'm not really a fan of either end of the scale

Relax Or DIE posted:

I can agree with this, though I think it's a genre-wide problem. That's not to let FFX off the hook for it, more that when I revisit old JRPGs I pretty much need either provided speed boosts, like some of the recent FF rereleases, or for an emulator to handle that.

yeah it's definitely a genre-wide problem in a lot of older jrpgs but it's also something that more recent jrpgs are figuring out how to actually address so it makes it stick out more to me in games where it's present, even older ones

and before anyone mentions it chrono trigger has never felt to me like an example of a game that avoids those issues lol

• Locked thread