Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Missionary Positron posted:

What if voter suppression does its thing and the GOP manages to somehow hold on the House?

The strychnine flavored kool-aid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I don't think it's possible for any sort of tomfoolery to prevent the house from flipping. I can 100% see suppression and other shenanigans preventing a seat flip here or there, or maybe even a whole state. But not everywhere. And if what's happened so far with early voting is even remotely true of tomorrow, there's nothing that can stop the wave.

edit: the Senate is a different story. I'm not expecting that to flip but it would be nice.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

psydude posted:

If Dems retake the house, I'll have a victory beer. If Dems retake the Senate, I'm breaking out the good scotch.

If Dems take both the house and Senate, I'm opening a bottle of Laphroaig and lighting a Romeo y Julieta cigar.

Yes, it'll cost me $75 bucks, but it's worth it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

BigDave posted:

If Dems take both the house and Senate,

lol

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/wef/status/1058675216027660288?s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Dems gonna win big tomorrow, lose bigly 2020.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
My prediction: The monkey paw closes again in a two-for-one: SBP-DIC repeal and the Blue Wave. The lame duck Republican Congress guts the republic with SBP-DIC repeal as its fig leaf.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

DAMNIT EBB LET ME HAVE A SLIVER OF HOPE IN MY DARK AND FRUSTRATED HELLSCAPE OF A EXISTENCE

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Just let me know when the gip riot squad is stood up, you can @ me on discord because I'm not buying platinum for the 5th time or whatever I lost count

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

mods changed my name posted:

Just let me know when the gip riot squad is stood up, you can @ me on discord because I'm not buying platinum for the 5th time or whatever I lost count

We have a discord server?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Missionary Positron posted:

What if voter suppression does its thing and the GOP manages to somehow hold on the House?

This is why I'm not drinking

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah it's alright, someone with the aforementioned plat will send you a link soon I'm sure

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Dems gonna win big tomorrow, lose bigly 2020.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Vasudus posted:

I don't think it's possible for any sort of tomfoolery to prevent the house from flipping. I can 100% see suppression and other shenanigans preventing a seat flip here or there, or maybe even a whole state. But not everywhere. And if what's happened so far with early voting is even remotely true of tomorrow, there's nothing that can stop the wave.

edit: the Senate is a different story. I'm not expecting that to flip but it would be nice.

Most prognosticators are putting the House D-gain in the neighborhood of 30-40 when they need 23. The polling data basically says that you shouldn't be shocked if the Democrats only get 19, or if they get like 50.

The reliability of the polling data is really tough, because it badly missed in Virginia (expected to be a toss-up, Democrat won by 6), but was just about right in Alabama (toss-up, Democrat won by 1.7) and Georgia (same, Republican by 4%). Could be a squeaker, could be a democratic fuckup, could be a blue tsunami. The squeaker/wave is more likely, but people are bad at probabilities.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Putting elections in terms of probabilities isn't really good in the long term anyway. There is no chance involved in elections, its entirely decision based. Yeah you can use statistical methods on the data but it gives you a false sense of how the results are derived.

Ignore polls, canvas harder.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Finally hillary will be president

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

BigDave posted:

We have a discord server?

@UP THE BUM NO BABY get this man an invite

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
He's already in the list of offline posters so IDK what's going on

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

facialimpediment posted:

Most prognosticators are putting the House D-gain in the neighborhood of 30-40 when they need 23. The polling data basically says that you shouldn't be shocked if the Democrats only get 19, or if they get like 50.

The reliability of the polling data is really tough, because it badly missed in Virginia (expected to be a toss-up, Democrat won by 6), but was just about right in Alabama (toss-up, Democrat won by 1.7) and Georgia (same, Republican by 4%). Could be a squeaker, could be a democratic fuckup, could be a blue tsunami. The squeaker/wave is more likely, but people are bad at probabilities.

Yeah it's incredibly hard to get accurate polling these days. NYT did a live tracker where they listed who they were calling (demographically speaking) and their success rate last week. They called 24k numbers and got 324 responses from 18-34s.

Like legit there has to be *something* new invented to accurately poll people otherwise in maybe a decade polls will just straight up go extinct, rather than just be increasingly inaccurate.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Everyone'e models assume you're a prior voter which could lead to some amazing results if non-voter turnout is really as high as it seems

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Vasudus posted:

Like legit there has to be *something* new invented to accurately poll people otherwise in maybe a decade polls will just straight up go extinct, rather than just be increasingly inaccurate.

Right now, the main obstacle to public polling is cost. The NYT/Sienna polls are the new gold standard of running polling - pulling a sample directly from the voter file of the target district/state and calling them. That's expensive as all gently caress, since you have to staff a call center, repeatedly call the same number in hopes of getting the person, then figure out sample weighting for the people you absolutely can't contact. The method generally beats Random Digit Dialing, but IIRC some of that is banned by state laws.

That's why there's been a flood of online-pollsters because online polls are cheap as hell, but still good-ish enough to be accurate. If a news organization wants to run a poll for news consumption value, the onliners are the way to go.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Everyone's models assume you're a prior voter which could lead to some amazing results if non-voter turnout is really as high as it seems

This has been the #1 problem for pollsters: who votes? Generally, a "likely voter" responds something like an 8-10 on a "How sure are you to vote this election?" question, but people lie like crazy about that question. Some 10s don't end up voting, but get weighed heavy in the sample, while some 5-6s are barely counted, but still vote!

The general movement of society from landlines to cell phones have really hosed up pollsters.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I think I'm just gonna go vote then go to work and ignore the news until Wednesday morning.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Yeah I'm going to try to avoid all news sources tomorrow for my mental well being, which means I'll be posting in here by noon.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

That Works posted:

I think I'm just gonna go vote then go to work and ignore the news until Wednesday morning.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I'm sure the plague of scam callers where you might get 5-10 calls per day from "card services" or "about your car warranty" probably cause a lot of people to not answer unknown numbers. And conservatives like my mom have been conditioned by the propaganda machine to think pollsters are fake news devils working against Republicans.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's really good having a number from before I moved. I have absolutely zero connections to anybody in CT that I don't already have in my phone, ergo any call from a 203/860 prefix is immediately a scam. Likewise any call from a Maryland or Virginia number is always something I should pick up.

Also get Robokiller. It's well worth the 12 dollars a year for the app.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Took this photo today, it was a little surreal as I had been watching Rob Zombie's Halloween this morning.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1059513365570174976

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The toughest president of all time, folks

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1059542277318758401

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Republicans will hold the house and Senate. Why? Because the news keeps talking about how well the dems are doing with early voting.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Vasudus posted:

Yeah it's incredibly hard to get accurate polling these days. NYT did a live tracker where they listed who they were calling (demographically speaking) and their success rate last week. They called 24k numbers and got 324 responses from 18-34s.

Social media aggregation would be about 95% accurate if you had access to everybody's facebook.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

GOP will gain more seats than anyone thought possible, because it has to be the worst outcome possible. Because 2018.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The revolution will be livestreamed. Please like, follow, and subscribe and if you are a fan of the way I'm overthrowing the regime and want to support me financially take a lpok at my Ko.Fi and Patreon. More content avaliable in my instagram.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/sandoverer/status/1059533992658169857?s=19

:thunk:

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
sounds like something the LIZARD MEN would say :tinfoil:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Maybe good news for whomever is in Virginia?

https://twitter.com/ByRosenberg/status/1059536638160723968

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Oh good, so only 25k new people rather than 50k.

I might be able to buy a house before I'm put in the grave after all.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

mods changed my name posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv1_Ig58V2Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hahahahaha