Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Anyone else pronounce Squall as “Scue-ail”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

I always thought it was pronounced "Tidus" but now I'm hearing it's pronounced "Tidus"? Make up your mind people

It's Tidus

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

SaGa Frontier 1. Best jRPG battle system ever made. I will beat God to death with Lucifer’s corpse standing by that certainty.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I can't believe that there's a person in this world who doesn't like dressing up their video game characters. smh

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like saga 1 because the ways it is broken are entirely in your favor so you hit a point where the game just gives you a chainsaw and lets you auto-kill every boss fight

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

I can't believe that there's a person in this world who doesn't like dressing up their video game characters. smh

I love dressing up I do not like playing dress up with only skimpy fetish clothes

Wow Dark Knight Yuna sure is intimidating with her exposed thighs and panties in the hulking hell armor

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Breath of Fire 3 did this thing where your battles used the map instead of transitioning to a new scene, and I miss that.

I also want another Xenogears/Legend of Dragoon style combat system that has cool combos.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

The Colonel posted:

i think optimally you want a turn-based system to go pretty fast and require just a little bit of thinking when dealing with regular enemies, but not be like constantly overwhelming and mentally exhausting outside of boss fights, and that's where i kind of disconnect with ff battle systems because they always make every fight feel just slow and fatiguing enough that i stop wanting to engage with them entirely

it's better than the other extreme of absolute pointless trash where you basically don't have to engage at all but it still takes up too much time from sitting through animations at least, but i'm not really a fan of either end of the scale

yeah it's definitely a genre-wide problem in a lot of older jrpgs but it's also something that more recent jrpgs are figuring out how to actually address so it makes it stick out more to me in games where it's present, even older ones

and before anyone mentions it chrono trigger has never felt to me like an example of a game that avoids those issues lol

Nah, I like CT but the ability to run past monsters seems to fall away pretty quickly, and you just get sucked into fights no matter what. I think DQXI actually handles the same idea correctly - I don't know if there are any battles you can't simply jog past if you don't want to do them (aside from bosses of course.)

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The Colonel posted:

i like saga 1 because the ways it is broken are entirely in your favor so you hit a point where the game just gives you a chainsaw and lets you auto-kill every boss fight

Not that SaGa, Frontier, the PS1 one

If they combined that system with a class system and modern sensibilities it would be the final word in jRPG

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Black August posted:

I love dressing up I do not like playing dress up with only skimpy fetish clothes

man you have some weird fetishes

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

J.A.B.C. posted:

Breath of Fire 3 did this thing where your battles used the map instead of transitioning to a new scene, and I miss that.

I also want another Xenogears/Legend of Dragoon style combat system that has cool combos.

DQ11 does that it's cool

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FFXII does that

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
The amount of time it takes for me to start SaGa Frontier 1, select Blue and get hopelessly lost with no idea of what to do is about 5 seconds. Each character has a length of starting story where it feels like you know what's going on and then it hands you the reins for real and you're just looking at a list of planets and towns with even odds of going somewhere where something will happen or going to a place full of enemies that will murder you. I always thought it would be cool to have a SaGa Frontier memory card with all that beautiful content finally mastered, but it was just too much for me to handle.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't really have any thoughts about the ffx-2 outfits being skimpy or whatever i just kinda got bored playing it. i was coming right off of beating ffx though so i was probably just exhausted with the setting

Black August posted:

If they combined that system with a class system and modern sensibilities it would be the final word in jRPG

i know that saga 1 is not saga frontier

Relax Or DIE posted:

Nah, I like CT but the ability to run past monsters seems to fall away pretty quickly, and you just get sucked into fights no matter what. I think DQXI actually handles the same idea correctly - I don't know if there are any battles you can't simply jog past if you don't want to do them (aside from bosses of course.)

that just sounds like an enemy icon system, which basically every jrpg that isn't an intentional retro throwback has adopted these days. it's a good system

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Andrast posted:

man you have some weird fetishes

My fetishes would burn your skull clean

I wanna see a class system where you wear the regalia of previous FF characters and gaining similar powers or even a pseudo version of that game’s battle mechanics

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my actual favorite battle system is tales of graces f but i can't really use that as a point of comparison for turn-based jrpgs, so, rip

so i use trails of cold steel instead cause that's the first turn-based jrpg that got me to consistently and actively engage with its mechanics that wasn't paper mario ttyd

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't like the enemy icon system because it's too easy to end up over- or under-leveled because the vast majority of the games with the system don't give you any indication of what number of enemies you're supposed to fight to get the intended difficulty curve

I liked it in VP2 though because the enemies are used as platforms in the puzzle platformer dungeons

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't like the enemy icon system because it's too easy to end up over- or under-leveled because the vast majority of the games with the system don't give you any indication of what number of enemies you're supposed to fight to get the intended difficulty curve

this isn't really an issue i've ever experienced in anything other than like, .hack//gu after i just got tired of fighting the same enemies over and over

i've even seen games compensate for the sheer possibility of that with really intense xp scaling so that you don't have to fight a bunch in the first place to catch up

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I always end up overleveled in Nep

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Black August posted:

why not just play other saga games

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

cheetah7071 posted:

I always end up overleveled in Nep

i mean it took six games for neptunia to reach a level of not having really messed up level balance

in re;birth1 you can fight every enemy you see and still be underleveled because of the dumb shield system

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tiddus

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

J.A.B.C. posted:

Oh yeah I loved Legend of Dragoon's combat. Needed juuuust enough concentration so you couldn't totally go on autopilot and kinda felt engaged.

Feel like the Shadow Hearts system had the same timing game feel but wasn't quite as satisfying to me for some reason?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Anyone else pronounce Squall as “Scue-ail”?

I have always pronounced it as "poo poo-lord"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
See-quall

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Final Fantasy kicks rear end.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Black August posted:

I wanna see a class system where you wear the regalia of previous FF characters and gaining similar powers or even a pseudo version of that game’s battle mechanics

Narikiri Dungeon: Final Fantasy

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Been listening to the TMNT 4 soundtrack a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM2oRKfMq2w

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

big tiddus goth gf

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

haveblue posted:

See-quall

No, FF8 doesn't have one of those

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Squall is a dope name for a protagonist.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
And he's got a sword with a gun on it, 2 for 2

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

PantsBandit posted:

Squall is a dope name for a protagonist.

too bad he's not a protagonist just a dope

his dad is cool though

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

He’s a teen

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Squall is cool because he's an awkward doofus with a gunsword, just like I was in 1999

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Feel like the Shadow Hearts system had the same timing game feel but wasn't quite as satisfying to me for some reason?

Not enough BURNING RRRUSH or VOLCANO

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Relax Or DIE posted:

Squall is cool because he's an awkward doofus with a gunsword, just like I was in 1999

Like how he has the box for it in his room like he ordered it from the internet or something

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

what's funny about the gunblade is that in-universe no one uses it either

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I just rewatched the Pyre end credits sequence to remind myself how utterly beautiful that game was.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

what's funny about the gunblade is that in-universe no one uses it either

That's why he still has the box, he's having second thoughts and wants to keep the option to return it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 8, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

Like how he has the box for it in his room like he ordered it from the internet or something

I never noticed that he also has 3 of the same jacket

• Locked thread