Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'd consider "what did she even do that got her in this situation" a lot more meaningful, plot-wise, than the section that basically just "Mia runs away, but you already know that nothing you do matters because she's in cell a when you get there." Just as much, having gameplay matters a lot to me because I watch movies or read a book when I want a good story. Like I said, we clearly simply consider very different things important about a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
If you can play Asuras Wrath and tell me QTEs are a bad concept, then I will forever question every opinion you have.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Asura's Wrath would have been amazingly fun spectacle to watch even without making you mash your thumbs numb, but since the entire game is very upfront about revolving entirely around them, even I can't really complain about it in that case.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
God, the bit in Asura’s Wrath where the whole screen filled with the QTE prompts was so good.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Dienes posted:

Huh, there's a PC port of P.T. on Itch.io. Wonder how long that will last.

Tempted to pick it up, missed the boat to play it on PS.

It's only a very partial remake without much of the same polish. There's nothing in the basement and when you get past the fridge there's no ridiculous end game section, you just get an air raid siren and a message from the dev talking about how they want to make a photorealistic remake of Silent Hill 2 so please donate to their patreon.

Also Lisa looks like this and has zero animations

She just slides out then slides back in with the door. The scene where she eats you is very obviously a recording of that scene from the actual game. For a one person indie dev it's neat but man if they think they're gonna remake SH2 they're biting off more than they can chew. edit: Oh and the Hello/Hell puzzle just didn't work for whatever reason and the moment I looked at Hello! all the Hell letters jumped to the other wall.

Also requesting money on patreon for a fan thing is like the fastest way to get your poo poo shut down. edit2: liiiiibaa pit

TGLT fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 3, 2018

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

al-azad posted:

I didn't want more gameplay from RE7, the gameplay is average to begin with and it's exacerbated in Mia's section which is a lot of fighting and backtracking.

Yeah, you know that awesome gunplay that RE7 is known for? No? Well here's a fuckton of it just for you for the next couple hours! Hope you don't get too bored!

- Someone from Capcom, probably.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

Yeah, you know that awesome gunplay that RE7 is known for? No? Well here's a fuckton of it just for you for the next couple hours! Hope you don't get too bored!

- Someone from Capcom, probably.
I'm starting to think I just wasn't playing the same game as everyone else here apparently, because "oh god, I have to shoot more stuff in this godawful bog-standard FPS?" is probably the one reaction I've never seen anyone else have.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 3, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Speaking of padding, I just beat Silent Hill 4 and it was really miserable. Like "worst game I've played in a long time" miserable. If it didn't have the Silent Hill name attached to it this would be a forgettable title in the PS2 era. It would be talked about in Youtube videos the same way Cold Fear gets brought up. "Remember The Room, this weird not-Silent Hill riding the coattails of Silent Hill 3?"

People say the game shits the bed in the second half but I actually think that's where the game gets interesting. The second half is when the game gets weird, actually uses its survival horror roots by giving you challenges all those candles and amulets were designed for, there are actual puzzles to solve, and the best horror moments crop up. The first half of the game is barren. There's next to no puzzles, a lot of boring combat, and zero challenge because you heal up when you return to the apartment.

Problem is that by presenting you with the bullshit first, when the game asks you to do it all over again you're just tired! You slogged through the boring poo poo and have no patience for the good stuff. What's really inexcusable is how I agonized over keeping Eileen safe when the game not only has a way of healing her, they give you a loving candle in the last room expecting you to do so. The game can't even respect the player enough to carry the weight of their decisions that it includes an easy out at the very last moment.

And at first I was conflicted on this because it's important they establish the apartment as a safe room then take it away after the dependency is established. But they could've also restructured the game so that both halves work together much better as one. Like you go through the level, the victim dies, then you go through the level in reverse as it's corrupted. You know, how the previous Silent Hill games were structured???

If this is the future of the franchise I'm done.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

al-azad posted:

If this is the future of the franchise I'm done.
Since Team Silent closed its doors very long ago and they're really the only ones to ever make a genuinely good entry to the series, I'm afraid I'll have to say that there's every indication that yes, it is.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Man the open world stuff in TEW2 is really not doing it for me.

I saw this spooky rear end poison thing. Well too bad game, its so far away I have absolutely no need to go anywhere near it.

Then the game manages to pull every once in a while some really good scares when you enter a random building.

Im conflicted

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

WaltherFeng posted:

I saw this spooky rear end poison thing. Well too bad game, its so far away I have absolutely no need to go anywhere near it.

Then the game manages to pull every once in a while some really good scares when you enter a random building.

Im conflicted

I mean

spoilers but you will have to go near a spooky rear end poison thing at some point whether you like it or not

al-azad
May 28, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

Im conflicted

Are you me 6 months ago because I posted all these exact same responses when I started. I will say the game did a complete 180 after beating the photographer which you aren't too far behind because it basically dropped all the open world stuff and leaned heavily into weird dream horror like the first game did.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I remember how people were really divided about that. A lot of people were very happy about the game being consistent and open and letting you actually explore a bit, so those people really hated going back to the first game's type of disjointed environments and corridor shooter. The people who liked the first game for what it was were very happy when TEW2 finally did that, but really couldn't stand the open world sections at all.

Basically, no matter who you ask, for every step forward, there was one step back. That game really made nobody happy.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Cardiovorax posted:

I remember how people were really divided about that. A lot of people were very happy about the game being consistent and open and letting you actually explore a bit, so those people really hated going back to the first game's type of disjointed environments and corridor shooter. The people who liked the first game for what it was were very happy when TEW2 finally did that, but really couldn't stand the open world sections at all.

Basically, no matter who you ask, for every step forward, there was one step back. That game really made nobody happy.

I don't think that's remotely true? I know plenty of people who liked it better than TEW1 completely unqualified. People didn't dislike TEW1 because it was a corridor shooter, people disliked TEW1 because it was a mediocre one.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yeah, TEW2 was one of my favorites of the year and definitely the winner of my personal "Most Improved" category

picking through the open world was great (looting abandoned suburban houses is always a pleasure for me) and i liked how it took on characteristics of each arc villain while becoming steadily more unstable and dilapidated

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

I don't think that's remotely true? I know plenty of people who liked it better than TEW1 completely unqualified. People didn't dislike TEW1 because it was a corridor shooter, people disliked TEW1 because it was a mediocre one.
There are plenty of people who liked it a lot better, but there were also plenty of people who preferred TEW1's more structured experience, where TEW2's open-world has you run around and explore a lot, more or less on your own initiative. They're very different approaches and I did see people complain equally about either. Maybe we just looked in different places.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
TEW1's extremely structured experience of being RE4 but bad with occasional cool setpieces

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm starting to think I just wasn't playing the same game as everyone else here apparently, because "oh god, I have to shoot more stuff in this godawful bog-standard FPS?" is probably the one reaction I've never seen anyone else have.

Apparantly, because that's not a sentiment I've really seen from anyone.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

TEW1's extremely structured experience of being RE4 but bad with occasional cool setpieces
To be honest, I've played both games, and I think better level design is actually the only thing TEW2 does better and I got bored with it exactly as quickly as with the first one. But that's just me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

For me the open world offered a lot of good set pieces at surprising moments but the actual level design in TEW2 was wildly inconsistent. The fight with the priest guy perfectly encapsulates everything I felt the original did better. He's a boss rush against monsters from the first game, including the lady that can one-shot you, but their arenas are flat and featureless whereas they were puzzle encounters in the first game. TEW2 already demonstrated some clever fights with Obscura and not-The Fury, and the final boss was really good, but I really expected more from the levels.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cardiovorax posted:

The gunplay in RE7 is bottom of the barrel, but that's not what makes the game good it's the setting, characters, story and mechanics outside of the shooting that make the game good. It's like the shooting in the classic RE games, they're basic simple and mindless. However, when spaced out perfectly like they were in conjunction with the survival elements and sparse ammo, it worked really well and built good tension. RE7 stops doing this on the boat and the mines, because you're just constantly facing enemies that at the point aren't a threat/new/interesting and you have to deal with the shooting way too often. So now you're faced with all of this really weak combat while you're in setting RE has done to death and the story opens it's bowels by cribbing from F.E.A.R. hard.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

It's pretty wild how despite RE7's budget and graphics the hit reaction and animations for enemies are almost on par with Survivor of all things. The second battle against Jack was basically me going "am I even doing this right" while unloading all my ammo on him. Resident Evil 6 also had this issue, especially with the final bosses in each campaign, and to a lesser degree so does every entry in the franchise when it comes to bullet sponge enemies. They really should work on their damage model some more and maybe add some dismemberment there like the upcoming Doom 2016 sequel is doing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

The gunplay in RE7 is bottom of the barrel.
I'm not really sure what you think makes for good gunplay, to be honest. I thought it was at least as good and functional as RE4 and I've just never seen anyone else bring that up. If you could explain what you think makes it so bad, maybe I could follow your reasoning better. I thought it was all very intense and functional for the game it tried to be, so I had fun doing more of it in a no-consequences environment with plenty of ammo and a great gun.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'd argue the gunplay in RE7 was far better than RE4. 4 is plodding and awkward to the point where Leon simply can't do things that he should clearly be able to (like rapidly moving and firing) because the need to make it difficult handicaps it. At least 7 doesn't force you to come to a complete standstill and aim before shooting. That would put it on par with *checks notes* one of the most well-regarded games in the series.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GUI posted:

It's pretty wild how despite RE7's budget and graphics the hit reaction and animations for enemies are almost on par with Survivor of all things. The second battle against Jack was basically me going "am I even doing this right" while unloading all my ammo on him. Resident Evil 6 also had this issue, especially with the final bosses in each campaign, and to a lesser degree so does every entry in the franchise when it comes to bullet sponge enemies. They really should work on their damage model some more and maybe add some dismemberment there like the upcoming Doom 2016 sequel is doing.

I don't know if you've seen REmake 2 but it has lots of gross, satisfying disfigurement and the skin has different peeling decals depending on the weapon you're using. Check out acid damage on a zombie, it's loving disgusting.

I feel like a grandpa but this remake feels a little bit too extreme. The chief in the original game is a goofy weirdo who reveals himself like a bond villain but for the remake Capcom must've splurged on a good director and cast because the chief is just disturbing. I really hope they don't give him a pedo inflection because apparently in the Japanese version of the Chronicles games they call him a rapist which is danced around in the English version.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

al-azad posted:

Check out acid damage on a zombie, it's loving disgusting.
Looks a whole drat lot like real acid burns, though. Believe me, I'd know.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Late for Halloween, but The Silence Under Your Bed came out not long ago, interactive fiction horror anthology with drat good writing from Cassandra Khaw and Kevin Snow (who's from around these here parts). It's a lot like a video game Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Im currently in chapter 6 and the enemy aggro ranges really stick out and not in a good way.

In the original there were very few instances where you could do exploit this but in TEW2 it seems like the most efficient strategy.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It's the "beta" but Last Year is finally playable and a bunch of annoying streamers got given keys, so I've been trying to get a good enough look at it.

Boy, you just get your rear end brutally reamed as a killer in that game if people run around in a gang, when there's seemingly no reason not to do that anyway.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

It's the "beta" but Last Year is finally playable and a bunch of annoying streamers got given keys, so I've been trying to get a good enough look at it.

Boy, you just get your rear end brutally reamed as a killer in that game if people run around in a gang, when there's seemingly no reason not to do that anyway.

On the other hand it seems like the killer can dissipate to set invisible traps then just reappear at will? It kind of seems like they designed the game to keep the group together because the killer in this game is a no-clip ghost with instant kill booby traps.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

WaltherFeng posted:

Im conflicted

everything really came around for me when (later-game TEW2) When that douchebag tried to use the last games bosses to gently caress you up and you are not having any of that bullshit.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Grognan posted:

When that douchebag tried to use the last games bosses to gently caress you up and you are not having any of that bullshit.

That whole segment owned super hard.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm not really sure what you think makes for good gunplay, to be honest. I thought it was at least as good and functional as RE4 and I've just never seen anyone else bring that up. If you could explain what you think makes it so bad, maybe I could follow your reasoning better. I thought it was all very intense and functional for the game it tried to be, so I had fun doing more of it in a no-consequences environment with plenty of ammo and a great gun.

Guns that feel powerful or are satisfying to use in some way, coupled character movement that's fast and responsive. The most satisfying weapons in 7 were the Grenade Launcher, Albert, Magnum and the shotgun you could fix. The rest of the weapons felt like pea shooters, which is fine, because you're not supposed to feel strong for most of the game and the stronger options are very limited. The SMG you get stuck with in the boat flashback is just so dull to use, is incredibly weak and you constantly use it. I think the boat/mine section has 4x the amount of enemies than the whole of the house does, it's ridiculous. I did like the design of it with the magazine being a foregrip, kinda neat.

Outside of the complete 180 the game does at the end in regards to tone, story, tension (or lack thereof) at the boat section, it focuses so heavily on shooting stuff and it stops being fun. It's reeks of being rushed, and is completely uninspired.

al-azad posted:

I don't know if you've seen REmake 2 but it has lots of gross, satisfying disfigurement and the skin has different peeling decals depending on the weapon you're using. Check out acid damage on a zombie, it's loving disgusting.

This is gnarly as hell.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Just reached chapter 8 and Im warming up to TEW2 a bit. Getting some upgrades really makes a difference. Shot a smoke bomb into a group of zombies and Sebastian went full on ripper on them. You could do this in the original with flash bolts but they made it look even more visceral in this one.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Late for Halloween, but The Silence Under Your Bed came out not long ago, interactive fiction horror anthology with drat good writing from Cassandra Khaw and Kevin Snow (who's from around these here parts). It's a lot like a video game Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark!
Oh hey! Thanks for the link, I had a lot of fun making this one (editing and implementing Cassandra Khaw's writing was intimidating -- she's a much better writer than I am). We'll be updating it around Christmas to add some more stories, too (and some quality of life improvements; this was my first time turning something made with Twine into an app). Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark was definitely a huge influence, there's at least a few stories that are direct takes on it.

There's also a few influenced by my love of Zack Parsons' old SA stories (especially That Insidious Beast) for anyone here who remembers those.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Just reached chapter 8 and Im warming up to TEW2 a bit. Getting some upgrades really makes a difference. Shot a smoke bomb into a group of zombies and Sebastian went full on ripper on them. You could do this in the original with flash bolts but they made it look even more visceral in this one.

smoke bolts are the hidden kings of TEW2 and the only way to take out those flamethrower pricks with any degree of efficacy

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
don't look now, but the Agony guys are at it again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvHqGZ5GFqE

this may shock you but this video is NSFW

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Blockhouse posted:

I can't wait for the shocking twist that the altered drug addict is killing real people!!!!!!

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Scariest part of that clip is the PC dry swallowing all those pills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Star Guarded posted:

There's also a few influenced by my love of Zack Parsons' old SA stories (especially That Insidious Beast) for anyone here who remembers those.

fuckin' SOLD