Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Thanks for the suggestions for the Jackbox packs! I ended up going for pack 3, mostly for Quiplash. Whole thing was a winner. Quiplash is fantastic, Trivia Murder Party was a hit, and we liked Guesspionage and Fakin' It well enough. Weakest of the pack was Tee KO, we felt, but it was still enjoyable. I also scored Drawful, which is another great one. I feel like Drawful wants more players to mix up the guesses a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think an earlier Game & Watch Gallery altered the graphics for that minigame in the North American release. There's no reason to expect that change won't be made again, because if it was obviously correct back then it's even more obviously correct now. However, "Nintendo" isn't a monolithic entity, so the people working on Smash most likely researched the original release and not the localized versions of later releases, and were unaware of the change. Managing changes for prerelease showings if games still in development is very complicated.

So that's why it'll be fixed by the time the game is done

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's possible it already is and most footage we saw is from the Japanese version

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

eonwe posted:

if you are being edgy about the G&W thing you are really stupid and lame

:emptyquote:

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

eonwe posted:

if you are being edgy about the G&W thing you are really stupid and lame

I kinda agree. Unless you actually have Native American blood you're just being a bit of a weenie.
It's on par with me getting mad anytime a viking is portrayed in media as a psychothic mad bastard with horns on his helmet who does nothing but rape and pillage. Berserkers were a thing invented by the English but I don't care since it's a cool myth.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Re:jackbox

for anyone who wants to know, Gene (the computer controlled 4th player from party pack 4's "survive the internet") is also in party pack 5 and will join as #4 in the rap robot battle if needed. He's... Not great at rapping. Long live Gene.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Bongo Bill posted:

I think an earlier Game & Watch Gallery altered the graphics for that minigame in the North American release. There's no reason to expect that change won't be made again, because if it was obviously correct back then it's even more obviously correct now. However, "Nintendo" isn't a monolithic entity, so the people working on Smash most likely researched the original release and not the localized versions of later releases, and were unaware of the change. Managing changes for prerelease showings if games still in development is very complicated.

So that's why it'll be fixed by the time the game is done

It wasn't just a change made in the localized version. That version of that game changed it in all regions so the enemies were generic bandits instead of Native Americans.

Al Borland Corpse posted:

It's possible it already is and most footage we saw is from the Japanese version

Ah, changing it for some regions and leaving in the racism for others will totally fix the problem, yes. :rolleyes:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

GenericGirlName posted:

Re:jackbox

for anyone who wants to know, Gene (the computer controlled 4th player from party pack 4's "survive the internet") is also in party pack 5 and will join as #4 in the rap robot battle if needed. He's... Not great at rapping. Long live Gene.

Gene joins in on some other games as well if you have 3 players. It's equally bad for the R&D Game

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Lodin posted:

I kinda agree. Unless you actually have Native American blood you're just being a bit of a weenie.
It's on par with me getting mad anytime a viking is portrayed in media as a psychothic mad bastard with horns on his helmet who does nothing but rape and pillage. Berserkers were a thing invented by the English but I don't care since it's a cool myth.

Solidarity is real, dude.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Astro7x posted:

Gene joins in on some other games as well if you have 3 players. It's equally bad for the R&D Game

I love how bad he is in survive the internet. I've got to play with Gene more.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dr Cheeto posted:

Solidarity is real, dude.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dr. Fetus posted:

Ah, changing it for some regions and leaving in the racism for others will totally fix the problem, yes. :rolleyes:

Like, I was in Amsterdam last year and there's a variety of street performers in this cathedral square, one of which was this dude in full native regalia, muscleman with headdress, white as gently caress, posing for photos with tourists. I didn't go tell him off because he's just some Dutch guy, he has nothing to do with the continuing oppression and otherization of natives in American culture.

Similarly the Japanese didn't colonize America. That 40 year old game was just based on some Italian films some of them saw. So yeah they should absolutely change it in Western release and probably in the Japanese release just for easiness sake but there's not a single person in Japan who will give a gently caress. Such a change would filter back after a localization pass which may not have occurred in that build.

Just like they changed Warioware to not call players "spastic" in Europe, but not in America. In America that term doesn't mean anything offensive.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Chin Strap posted:

D3 plays real nice on switch handheld, but man the battery life drain is real. Is it worse than other AAA games? Honestly 90% of my play time on this device has been Binding of Isaac so maybe I'm just spoiled on battery life.

I'm in a similar boat (Hollow Knight, rather than Isaac), so I'm not sure if you can take any value from my first impressions, but holy poo poo was I surprised when the low battery indicator popped up. Either the battery drain is real or I completely lost track of time while playing.

Battery issue aside, having a dungeon crawling loot grab game on the go is a dream I never knew I wanted to realize. I hit 70 on Necromancer in one sitting yesterday and I'm excited to finish up the season rewards thing for the free set. Necromancer is fun, which I'm glad for because I never bought the expansion on PC. With all of this said, I'm afraid of the inevitable burn out once the diminishing returns of rewards hits in the next couple days. Farming and then running g rifts can only hold my interest for so long.

This experience has made me secretly thankful that PoE will probably never be released on a portable console. I fear my way of life would be put at risk. I do not need that level of time suck in my life.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Lodin posted:

There are no vikings alive now though. They lived about 800 years ago.

Native Americans are still systematically oppressed in 2018.

e: Disclaimer, I don't care about the G&W issue. I just want to post history.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Native Americans are also often not taken seriously by our lovely society, as seen by the Cleveland Indians still using their loving logo through this season. And like this year when a Halloween shop INSTANTLY took down their "sexy handmaid's tale" costume when people complained on behalf of a fictional world, while native Americans are out here screaming "can you please get rid of your dumb 'pocha-hot-rear end' costumes" into deaf ears

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Wait does each season focus on a different class? Like should I have started a Necro instead of a DH?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

"sexy handmaid's tale" costume

:lol:

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

MarcusSA posted:

Wait does each season focus on a different class? Like should I have started a Necro instead of a DH?

No you'll get a season set for whichever class you're playing. The exact set offered for each class changes each season too. But you only get to redeem each Haedrig's Gift once per season and the items you get are for the character you're playing. So the big thing you don't want to do is get the first part of a season reward set on one class and then open up another part on a different one.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

There are no vikings alive now though. They lived about 800 years ago.

Native Americans are still systematically oppressed in 2018.

e: Disclaimer, I don't care about the G&W issue. I just want to post history.

Nah, we still have some mad bastards who identify as vikings. Varg Vikernes is one of them. Dude burnt down two churches, killed a member of his band and is now living in France with his wife. He's gotten chill over the years but is still a loony Neo-Nazi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGxabgWgV1U

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Lodin posted:

Nah, we still have some mad bastards who identify as vikings. Varg Vikernes is one of them. Dude burnt down two churches, killed a member of his band and is now living in France with his wife. He's gotten chill over the years but is still a loony Neo-Nazi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGxabgWgV1U

They're not actually vikings though... :(

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

sounds chill as hell.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfXT2LojnwQ

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Why is everything a "race" in diablo 3? I keep seeing people talking about racing the quickest to max level for some reason.

I'm still in story mode though, I haven't done adventure mode yet.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Over There posted:

Why is everything a "race" in diablo 3? I keep seeing people talking about racing the quickest to max level for some reason.

If my years of playing D2 are any indicator it's an outgrowth of the mentality that if you run a boss you have to race to grab all the gold loot before the other guy does and then bounce out of the game

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Over There posted:

Clearing things with efficiency. Wanna own and murder as fast as you can in that game. That's what nerds do (me when I played).

If you are having fun though, it's whatever. It's a point and click ARPG. Murder some demons and have fun doing it.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
diablo doesn't really start until you hit max level

you race through maps grabbing legendary weapons and set items, ignoring everything else because its trash

the idea is to find the hardest difficulty where you can still melt enemies quickly. rifts are timed, you have to kill enough enemies to summon the boss and kill the boss before the timer runs out

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Lodin posted:

Are people really posting ancient Dark Souls memes? Well have the best one then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGov43YQvbo

This happened to me last week, in the exact same spot and way, while I was on a flight.

Switch owns.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its important to remember Diablo and its ilk are very elaborate slot machines. Whats fun for both of them, loot games and slots, is the pulling of the arm not the actual winning. People who play it therefore optimize around getting back to pulling the arm as quickly as possible, everything else is just a blip in the way of their dopamine rush.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Over There posted:

People enjoy the game in different ways :shrug:

Like, I watch something like this and my brain just disconnects:

but that's what Diablo is for a lot of people, I think. Personally I'm way too slow and meticulous to play like that and I hate games that are "GO GO GO GO GO" but I still enjoy playing Diablo as a slowpoke.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 5, 2018

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I might pick up the Switch version now that it's kind of questionable whether there will be a D4 at all

edit: Not now, but sometime I mean

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Hell yes to that skeleton build. I'm running the same thing and its fun.

Echoing what has already been said: play the game however you want. If the virtual rat race isn't your thing then there is no need to even acknowledge it.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Echophonic posted:

Thanks for the suggestions for the Jackbox packs! I ended up going for pack 3, mostly for Quiplash. Whole thing was a winner. Quiplash is fantastic, Trivia Murder Party was a hit, and we liked Guesspionage and Fakin' It well enough. Weakest of the pack was Tee KO, we felt, but it was still enjoyable. I also scored Drawful, which is another great one. I feel like Drawful wants more players to mix up the guesses a bit.

By default Tee KO is too open and directionless to result in anything good most of the time, but it gets a lot better if everyone agrees on a theme beforehand. Making everyone choose between a couple different themes also works well, since you can get some pretty good unexpected combinations while still having enough direction for it to not be completely random.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Your Computer posted:

but that's what Diablo is for a lot of people, I think. Personally I'm way too slow and meticulous to play like that and I hate games that are "GO GO GO GO GO" but I still enjoy playing Diablo as a slowpoke.

I just want to scream and ram my face into enemies

My next character is going to be a wizard and I will play this build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAG39behStI

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

sethsez posted:

By default Tee KO is too open and directionless to result in anything good most of the time, but it gets a lot better if everyone agrees on a theme beforehand. Making everyone choose between a couple different themes also works well, since you can get some pretty good unexpected combinations while still having enough direction for it to not be completely random.

I'm stealing this srat. My games have been good so far but by God is this good.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

wish I had more of an excuse to actually play jackbox games, trivia murder party looks like a hoot :(

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Your Computer posted:

That's a greater rift run, they're timed and there's no loot during the run, which would be why they don't stop. Also, summoning all that stuff is just holding down two buttons for a necro. It's pretty awesome.

The biggest thing about speed is that getting your first character to 70 unlocks difficulties for ALL your characters, and lets them start participating.
Also, further achievements require speed clearing of rifts at different difficulties.
Also again, grinding sucks so figuring out the fastest way to do it is a lot of the fun.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

I guess I could also mention that since seasons end people want to do as much as they can each season.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Nintendo ever going to port the ArtStyle/Bit Generations games over to Switch?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

THE loving MOON posted:

I might pick up the Switch version now that it's kind of questionable whether there will be a D4 at all

edit: Not now, but sometime I mean

D4 will exist but not for a couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

D4 will exist but not for a couple of years.

Yeah after Nintendo reassured people that they are working on "multiple" diablo games at the time to reassure them after the flip out over the mobile one, there are also a few leaks going out suggesting they pulled D4 announce last minute from blizzcon because it wasn't ready enough and put the mobile one in its place.