Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

an actual dog posted:

oh my god this is so good. oh my god what the gently caress were they thinking

Even with AES-NI, software encryption overhead with an average SDD like an EVO 840 can pretty much saturate an average CPU when its cranking with enough active threads to hit all cores. I 100% guarantee they were trying to avoid that when possible, but did it in the dumbest way possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Can I be smug about this if I'm using luks/dm-crypt on Linux? I'm guessing that I can, since dm-crypt layers on top of any hardware encryption?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

apropos man posted:

Can I be smug about this if I'm using luks/dm-crypt on Linux? I'm guessing that I can, since dm-crypt layers on top of any hardware encryption?
Would you be smug about software RAID if a hardware RAID controller had problems?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You can be smug whenever you want.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

anthonypants posted:

Would you be smug about software RAID if a hardware RAID controller had problems?

taqueso posted:

You can be smug whenever you want.

I've changed my mind after anthonypants' post. I'll be confused instead.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Even with AES-NI, software encryption overhead with an average SDD like an EVO 840 can pretty much saturate an average CPU when its cranking with enough active threads to hit all cores. I 100% guarantee they were trying to avoid that when possible, but did it in the dumbest way possible.

Yea I totally understand why they're pushing for hardware encryption, it's just baffling that there were no checks to make sure it was encrypting correctly.

I'm just now realizing that when people switch back to software encryption their computers are gonna start running so much worse.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
I run software BitLocker on all my mobile computers and I have never felt any performance degradation. Sure copying 50 GB of files might take a bit longer but that is not even remotely part of my daily workload. With an SSD you're not really waiting behind I/O as much as you are waiting behind poorly designed synchronous software that can only do 1 thing at a time.

apropos man posted:

Yes but only half way because luks/dm-crypt are not able to use the TPM to store the key or verify bootloader authenticity so you're vulnerable to evil maid attacks. Then again, installing VPN drivers recently made Ubuntu tell me "oh btw switch off secure boot thanks" so what the gently caress maybe that is how you roll on Linux apparently.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

an actual dog posted:

oh my god this is so good. oh my god what the gently caress were they thinking

"gently caress it gently caress that gently caress everything, compile you pigfucker!"
*Ding, firmware compiled with 74837 warnings and NO errors*
"Praise Lord Samsung, time to send it to the factory"

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

EssOEss posted:

I run software BitLocker on all my mobile computers and I have never felt any performance degradation. Sure copying 50 GB of files might take a bit longer but that is not even remotely part of my daily workload. With an SSD you're not really waiting behind I/O as much as you are waiting behind poorly designed synchronous software that can only do 1 thing at a time.

Yes but only half way because luks/dm-crypt are not able to use the TPM to store the key or verify bootloader authenticity so you're vulnerable to evil maid attacks. Then again, installing VPN drivers recently made Ubuntu tell me "oh btw switch off secure boot thanks" so what the gently caress maybe that is how you roll on Linux apparently.

Haha. What a conclusion!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

EssOEss posted:

Keep in mind that bitlocker debuted with Vista where single and dual-core CPUs were still the norm. This decision was made back on those days and the overhead on those older CPUs could be crippling

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

"gently caress it gently caress that gently caress everything, compile you pigfucker!"
*Ding, firmware compiled with 74837 warnings and NO errors*
"Praise Lord Samsung, time to send it to the factory"

loling while thinking about trusting samsung hardware to be secure

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

an actual dog posted:

How is Samsung better or worse than pretty much any other vendor. This entire industry is a dumpster fire.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

an actual dog posted:

I still chuckle when they hardcoded the master encryption password in to their Knox security software and when that was discovered their solution was to throw the device away and use one that is compatible with Knox 2.0 (no upgrade path available)

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

How is Samsung better or worse than pretty much any other vendor. This entire industry is a dumpster fire.

You're not wrong, I'm just thinking about all the different high profile screwups they've had over the years. The one immediately in my mind is their android alternative tizen.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

an actual dog posted:

You're not wrong, I'm just thinking about all the different high profile screwups they've had over the years. The one immediately in my mind is their android alternative tizen.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, they've had some total messes on their hands. I just don't think they're any worse than anyone else. Everything is terrible and on fire.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

OSX and iOS are just fine, thank you.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ahahahahahahhahahahahahaha

macOS security in enterprise environments is a pathetic joke

this is literally the company that let you have sudoers access by entering a blank passcode

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Thank you for posting this graphic of the dawning and inescapable realization that apple is the only player in the market with their poo poo together

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

The Iron Rose posted:

ahahahahahahhahahahahahaha

macOS security in enterprise environments is a pathetic joke

this is literally the company that let you have sudoers access by entering a blank passcode

how long did that go from disclosure to patch, exactly?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

anthonypants posted:

Isn't the only real difference behind software RAID and hardware RAID is that with hardware RAID, the code is coming out of a previous employees home directory that nobody dares touch, whereas ZFS and GEOM are respectively in Illumos' and both in FreeBSDs VCS?

Although yes, I do feel the tiniest bit smug about both that and using GELI or GBDE depending on circumstances.

Keep in mind that bitlocker debuted with Vista where single and dual-core CPUs were still the norm. This decision was made back on those days and the overhead on those older CPUs could be crippling
It's not like there weren't good examples of how to do it; GBDE was included in FreeBSD 5 which was released in 2003, and it's design included attempting to not be subject to rubberhost cryptography.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

CLAM DOWN posted:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

D. Ebdrup posted:

It's not like there weren't good examples of how to do it; GBDE was included in FreeBSD 5 which was released in 2003, and it's design included attempting to not be subject to rubberhost cryptography.
Was that the part where they hardcoded it to use only AES-128, or the one where they wrote their own PRNG

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

anthonypants posted:

Was that the part where they hardcoded it to use only AES-128, or the one where they wrote their own PRNG
I'd like to think that there's a difference between hardcoding to one crypto-primitive because the developer forgets to test it, and a developer making a choice as part of a design which is more complex than just "use only AES-128", but which a decade and a half of hindsight shows might've not been the best idea imaginable.
From memory, I do believe phk tried to address the issues pointed out in the analysis that was made - but I don't think anyone designing crypto-anything in 2003 could've foreseen graphics cards or ASICs which we have today.

One thing that I don't know I've seen outside of GBDE is the idea that it shouldn't be possible to find the encrypted data by forensic analysis of the disk. Can anyone tell me if that's been attempted outside of GBDE?

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 5, 2018

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Even with AES-NI, software encryption overhead with an average SDD like an EVO 840 can pretty much saturate an average CPU when its cranking with enough active threads to hit all cores..

What are you considering an "average CPU" here? Software Bitlocker on my 950 Pro (thanks for never actually enabling eDrive like you said you would, Samsung :v:) with a 6700k has zero performance impact in disk benchmarks and CPU usage low enough that it more or less blends into the background noise of how much CPU gets used when hitting a disk hard anyway.

Theris fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 6, 2018

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

D. Ebdrup posted:

One thing that I don't know I've seen outside of GBDE is the idea that it shouldn't be possible to find the encrypted data by forensic analysis of the disk. Can anyone tell me if that's been attempted outside of GBDE?
Are you seriously trying to claim that GBDE is the only disk encryption method that prevents forensic analysis from recovering encrypted data?

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

Theris posted:

What are you considering an "average CPU" here? Software Bitlocker on my 950 Pro (thanks for never actually enabling eDrive like you said you would, Samsung :v:) with a 6700k has zero performance impact in disk benchmarks and CPU usage low enough that it more or less blends into the background noise of how much CPU gets used when hitting a disk hard anyway.

is it actually enabled? you do need to disable and then re-enable bitlocker on the drive after toggling it.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Daman posted:

is it actually enabled? you do need to disable and then re-enable bitlocker on the drive after toggling it.

I have to enter the Bitlocker passphrase (I don't have a TPM) to boot, so I assume so. Maybe not?

Edit: Seriously misremembered Veracrypt benchmark results, deleted the part of the post based on that.

Theris fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 6, 2018

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

anthonypants posted:

Are you seriously trying to claim that GBDE is the only disk encryption method that prevents forensic analysis from recovering encrypted data?
If you're just going to ignore that it's phrased as a question, and contains a questionmark, why even respond to it without providing an answer.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

D. Ebdrup posted:

If you're just going to ignore that it's phrased as a question, and contains a questionmark, why even respond to it without providing an answer.
Because if that is the premise of your question, then it is far too stupid to deserve an answer.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

EDIT: No, you know what, nevermind. Life's too loving short.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 6, 2018

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

D. Ebdrup posted:

truecrypt hidden volumes? where there is plausible deniability whether there are 1 or 2 encrypted volumes? or do you want to be able to plausibly claim there are 0 of them?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Rufus Ping posted:

truecrypt hidden volumes? where there is plausible deniability whether there are 1 or 2 encrypted volumes? or do you want to be able to plausibly claim there are 0 of them?
GBDE doesn't do anything similar to this, so I think they're just saying that third-party tools can't see the data on the disk.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

GBDE has steganography support, as well as positive denial facilities.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
My favorite part of the manpage is the bolded notice at the top.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

anthonypants posted:

lmao

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

anthonypants posted:

Because if that is the premise of your question, then it is far too stupid to deserve an answer.

You're joking, right? There's nothing stupid about that, just ignorant. This is some advanced computer science stuff, dude, chill. You don't need to flex your very smart brain.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You're joking, right? There's nothing stupid about that, just ignorant. This is some advanced computer science stuff, dude, chill. You don't need to flex your very smart brain.
"This tool that was written over a decade ago, by a single guy, which isn't maintained, and which nobody uses anymore, does a unique, magical thing which no one since has ever been able to replicate" is too common a sentiment in infosec.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

anthonypants posted:

This was my favorite part:

Buy a new laptop with cash and remove the hard drive. Install your favorite Linux (encrypted, of course) to an SD card or USB stick, and boot from that. Install a vault with walls of several hundred meters thick solid steel. This vault can only be feasibly accessed using the single key, which has a complexity comparable to a number with 600 digits, inside a new VM that's running something reasonably common like Ubuntu. Leave absolutely everything, right down to the screen resolution, in four copies, each of which is stored in one of four small safes, each of which can be opened with unique key resembling a unique fingerprint. Now set up your laptop's actual OS to use a good VPN -- containing the exact locations of all four key-safes which are located in randomly chosen places on the outside surface of the vault where they are practically impossible to detect when they are closed -- and pay for it by mailing cash in an envelope (using small bills that you got in change somewhere; bills out of an ATM might be logged).

Finally, each safe contains four switches which are wired to a bar of dynamite connected to the VPN via Tor. Now take your laptop to a coffeeshop that's not too close to home (if you're driving, park some ways off), get a drink (not your usual!) and open the safe for which he has the key, take out the master-key and access the vault. When done, lock up the master-key in the safe again and pay with cash, then sit down, connect to the wifi (spoofing your MAC address or better still, use a USB wifi adapter that you bought with cash, and still spoof the MAC.

If a keyholder-X for some reason distrusts keyholder-Y, she has the option of double-checking to make sure it's going out via the the laptop's Tor/VPN connection and it isn't using anything like a virtual adapter to connect itself directly to the coffeeshop wifi and detonating the bar of dynamite in safe-Y. This will obliterate the master-key in that safe and thereby deny keyholder-Y access to the vault and do your crime.

Should the facility come under attack, overwrite the USB stick you booted off of with random data to detonate all four bars of dynamite and thereby make sure that access to the vault is denied to everybody before physically destroying it. If you used a USB wifi adapter, do so in confidence that the contents of his safe will not yield access to the vault to destroy that as well. For maximum security, should the facility fall to the enemy, and a keyholder be forced to apply his personal key, he can do so in confidence that the contents of his safe will not yield access to the vault, and the enemy will hopefully disassemble and destroy the entire laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

EssOEss posted:

Yes but only half way because luks/dm-crypt are not able to use the TPM to store the key or verify bootloader authenticity

Technically you're right, but this is a really poorly worded assertion. Does LUKS itself have support for directly reading the TPM or altering the NVRAM? No. Should it? Probably not, as that's the job of tools such as tcsd, tpm_nvread, tpm_nvdefine, tpm_nvwrite, etc. You can verify bootloader authenticity and retrieve keys from the TPM to unlock drives at boot time automatically by using TrustedGRUB and clevis, respectively.

Two things that can be said are that there's no real official support for verifying bootloader authenticity (thus the need for TrustedGRUB, mjg59's grub fork, etc), and that as far as I'm aware extending bootloader PCRs with UEFI bootloaders doesn't really exist yet for Linux.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 7, 2018