Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Lately I've gotten lazy and bought pre-peeled cloves from China. It's cheap, and the quality is reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

i saw reference that the pre-peeled has some poo poo on it to help freshness so isn't good for confit, confirm/deny?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Lately I've gotten lazy and bought pre-peeled cloves from China. It's cheap, and the quality is reasonable.

Yeah I've thought about doing that but wondered about their quality/how long they keep, care to weigh in on that? They have the giant like, 2lb things of it at Super 88 in Allston that I may have to peep.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I get tubs of pre peeled garlic at my Korean grocery for super cheap. They're fine enough for cooking, but are kinda bland if eaten raw.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

hey guys it's me, the dude who constantly slandered people who use rice cookers because "it's so simple, just make it in a pan you pooheads!"

I'm coming at you with a question because I'm a god drat hypocrite: there's so many zojirushi rice cooker models, how can I compare and see which one suits my needs best? which ones do you guys vouch for and swear by?

Casu Marzu posted:

I get tubs of pre peeled garlic at my Korean grocery for super cheap. They're fine enough for cooking, but are kinda bland if eaten raw.

I bought preminced garlic in a glass jar once and will never do it again. maybe the one I bought was poo poo quality, but it was terrible.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
I made some lamb stock.

What are some good recipes for this lamb stock?

Anything good with some Udon noodles and mushrooms?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Qubee posted:

hey guys it's me, the dude who constantly slandered people who use rice cookers because "it's so simple, just make it in a pan you pooheads!"

I'm coming at you with a question because I'm a god drat hypocrite: there's so many zojirushi rice cooker models, how can I compare and see which one suits my needs best? which ones do you guys vouch for and swear by?

I bought preminced garlic in a glass jar once and will never do it again. maybe the one I bought was poo poo quality, but it was terrible.

Pre-peeled is not pre-minced. Pre-minced is absolutely poo poo.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I would pay exorbitant sums for a high end electric pressure cooker. Like something Kuhn Rikon or Zojirushi would make. IPs are great, but the temperature control isn't exactly there, and the overall feel isn't quite up to KR levels.

Breville Fast Slow Pro?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Huskalator posted:

I made some lamb stock.

Udon with lamb broth and mushrooms sounds pretty good to me tbh... I probably wouldn't add much more than a runny egg and a shitload of green onions

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
^^^ This plus add some chili paste in there.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Qubee posted:

Get one with a nonstick bowl and treat it right. Get a pressure one for fast rice. Get a pressure + induction if you have 370 dollars and get off on that sort of thing.

I have the normal 'micom' zoji rice cooker and it's fine. IDK what the big deal is tbh. I think maybe zoji is good if you want to keep your rice in a ready-to-eat state for like 48 hours. Or you want to delay cook start (I've never bothered). Other than that a normal rice cooker with a stainless bowl is just as good imo. Heresy. Worms.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/breakfast_bars_49065

I made this last night, with the only deviations from the recipe being jumbo oat flakes instead of rolled oats and the tin being a round 9 inch cake tin instead of a square.

The result tasted well enough, but had to be eaten with a spoon, as it crumbled apart.

Should I use more syrup, finer oats or a bigger pan and spread the mixture more thinly next time?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Qubee posted:

I was about to post to buy pre minced garlic. Lasts awhile and the convenience is unbeatable. I didn't see a change in my recipes using minced vs fresh

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Tonton Macoute posted:

I made this last night, with the only deviations from the recipe being jumbo oat flakes instead of rolled oats and the tin being a round 9 inch cake tin instead of a square.

The result tasted well enough, but had to be eaten with a spoon, as it crumbled apart.

Should I use more syrup, finer oats or a bigger pan and spread the mixture more thinly next time?

Maybe actually follow the recipe as written or find a different recipe?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

I was about to post to buy pre minced garlic. Lasts awhile and the convenience is unbeatable. I didn't see a change in my recipes using minced vs fresh

It really depends on what I'm making if I use pre-minced or not.

If I'm doing some sort of red sauce that has tons of basil, oregano, and other spices in it already, then I'll probably use pre-minced (or as my wife calls it: Jarlic.). It's totally a convenience thing for nights where I'm not feeling like taking the additional time to mince fresh garlic, and it's a handy backup if we've run out of fresh and haven't had a chance to go to the grocery to get more. But, it's just sort of one-note and not terribly interesting.

If I'm pickling, making garlic bread, roasting, or doing anything where I want the garlic to be a prime player, though, I'm going with fresh.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I get a little tub of pre-peeled cloves, blitz them in the food processor, and throw it in the freezer. Better than pre-minced but very little effort.

For anything where the garlic will be heavily featured, I still go with whole bulbs

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Is it better to put fresh mince or fresh whole cloves in a soup/chili/stew type thing.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Mine will end up with a sharper and more bitter garlic flavour, whole cloves will end up much gentler. Which is better depends on what you're after, though personally I usually use either whole cloves or slices for soups and stews.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

Is it better to put fresh mince or fresh whole cloves in a soup/chili/stew type thing.

Depends on the soup/stew, but I'd generally go with fresh garlic which has been sliced into slivers, or fresh roasted garlic which is either whole or diced.

I'm lukewarm on raw garlic from the grocery store. I've had some farmer's market sourced varieties that are good raw, but most of what I get from the grocery store tends to be bitter and astringent unless it is improved greatly by roasting it for a few minutes.

In Vermont, hardneck varieties tend to do the best. I've had "Music," "Carpathian," "Purple Glazer," "Siberian" - all off which I'd eat raw and ranging in flavor form really hot and spicy (Carpathian) to delicate and complex (Siberian).

EDIT: Oh I misread, I thought you said on soups and stews, not in, and was referring to using garlic as garnish. For in soups/stews, I'd go with sliced, unless it's something where you really want to showcase the whole garlic clove.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Tonton Macoute posted:

What's the difference in jumbo oat flakes? I've never heard of them before.

If anything, I'd expect finer oats to work less well, since they'll have more surface area. I wouldn't be surprised if you need to tweak the syrup/butter amount to suit your particular oats. I'd look around for other recipes, that may give a clue for the typical range of what works for people.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I've been smashing my garlic cloves before chopping these days. Take off the skin, trim the ends, cut in half to remove stem if necessary, then smash with my knife blade (be careful to not cut yourself I guess). That usually breaks up the cloves into a few long pieces so you can then get smaller chunks by chopping perpendicular, or continue to mince if needed. The crushing is supposed to release enzymes that produce Allicin, which is responsible for some of the garlic taste. Chopping also releases the enzymes. This is one reason that fresh garlic may be preferred; some of the flavor compounds will eventually break down after crushing or chopping.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Eeyo posted:

I've been smashing my garlic cloves before chopping these days. Take off the skin, trim the ends, cut in half to remove stem if necessary, then smash with my knife blade (be careful to not cut yourself I guess).
Smash before peeling and see how much your life improves!

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Bollock Monkey posted:

Smash before peeling and see how much your life improves!

This is the One True Way.

I still peel by hand sometimes for reasons unknown to me... maybe I find it slightly easier to mince when handling a single piece versus a gob of mashed garlic? Or maybe sometimes the paper sticks to my knife/cutting board and it's annoying? I'm not sure, but the smash-and-peel tactic is the right way to go.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Huskalator posted:

I made some lamb stock.

No noodles or mushrooms, but make shepherd's pie.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I started making a bunch of roux for gumbo etc. in the oven last night (never done that way before) and had to go to bed before it was as dark as I want. If I put it back in tonight, am I going to be starting from zero or will the browning pick up where it left off once it gets back hot enough? In other words is it going to take three hours or an hour?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Who was that french chef who had a TV show, 1 season, about 8 years ago and was all about rustic cooking? He would smash the garlic and throw skin and all into his dishes.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I just grate garlic into everything now because I’m lazy and have noticed I enjoy garlic more.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

wormil posted:

Who was that french chef who had a TV show, 1 season, about 8 years ago and was all about rustic cooking? He would smash the garlic and throw skin and all into his dishes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU2nFGNBaq0
??

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Ongyuuun!

Actually it was this dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh3fwkLkEYE&t=56s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9TpjVQxzYg

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

DaveSauce posted:

This is the One True Way.

I still peel by hand sometimes for reasons unknown to me... maybe I find it slightly easier to mince when handling a single piece versus a gob of mashed garlic? Or maybe sometimes the paper sticks to my knife/cutting board and it's annoying? I'm not sure, but the smash-and-peel tactic is the right way to go.

Smash less forcefully. It will still be way easier than scraping and picking and urgh, why would anyone not smash the garlic a bit before peeling it?!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bollock Monkey posted:

Smash less forcefully. It will still be way easier than scraping and picking and urgh, why would anyone not smash the garlic a bit before peeling it?!
Cut the bottom off then smash lightly the peel comes off even easier. I’m always amazed how many people don’t know that and try and claw all the peel off via fingernail from the top.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Bollock Monkey posted:

from 18-24 I was peeling garlic by meticulously using a paring knife to pry the skin off. I loving hated dealing with garlic. It was a huge pain in the rear end. Then I saw a youtube video where the guy smashed it a bit and the skin came right off. Now garlic is easy to peel and my life has never been the same since.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I roasted up about a cup of two of sweet peppers. What should I use them in?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Cut the bottom off then smash lightly the peel comes off even easier. I’m always amazed how many people don’t know that and try and claw all the peel off via fingernail from the top.

I didn't even think to make that clarification because, well, duh?! But I only just learned you don't have to peel ginger so... Swings and roundabouts I guess.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’m always amazed how many people don’t know that and try and claw all the peel off via fingernail from the top.

This is how I was taught by my Dad. For as Swedish as he and I look, my Grandma (his Mom) is 2nd generation Italian. You'd think we'd know better.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hi I'm the guy who just microwaves garlic for 5 seconds and the skin just slides right off.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I really want to get a microwave, but my kitchen just doesn't have the counter space. I'm currently using my tumbledryer as an additional countertop, and my pressure cooker sits on top of that.

I'm thinking of getting a waffle iron, does anyone have recommendations? The stuff I see on Amazon have wildly varying reviews, some people say it's the second coming of Christ, others say it produces lovely waffles, burns them, doesn't crisp them enough, etc.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you have a lot of cloves to peel, try the two bowls trick. Put your head of garlic in one big bowl (I use large stainless mixing bowls) and invert another one on top. Then while you hold it closed, shake the poo poo out of it. Sometime it takes a couple minutes, and can be quite noisy depending on the bowls, but it gets the skins off really well.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Qubee posted:

I'm thinking of getting a waffle iron, does anyone have recommendations? The stuff I see on Amazon have wildly varying reviews, some people say it's the second coming of Christ, others say it produces lovely waffles, burns them, doesn't crisp them enough, etc.

I will swear by this one til the day I die. Plenty of power to get crispy waffles, inverts to fill the iron nicely. Let's you do two at once. Mine is a Waring Pro, but it seems Cuisinart ships the same product under their label too.

https://smile.amazon.com/Cuisinart-WAF-F20-Double-Belgian-Stainless/dp/B01IA3HJGG/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I will swear by this one til the day I die. Plenty of power to get crispy waffles, inverts to fill the iron nicely. Let's you do two at once. Mine is a Waring Pro, but it seems Cuisinart ships the same product under their label too.

https://smile.amazon.com/Cuisinart-WAF-F20-Double-Belgian-Stainless/dp/B01IA3HJGG/

I haven't looked into it but surely there's a good waffle maker like this that has removable plates for pizzelle and stroopwafel, yes? I really don't want three different irons.