Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Patter Song posted:

Could you please, please put most of that stuff in spoiler tags? Especially the Ruka stuff?

Granted, he's not in the game, but seriously. That's giving away one of the best two-parters in the series. There are people here who keep posting that they haven't watched the show.

My bad, I thought the locks were off on that one since it had come up before. Fixed now.

Let's do the Newspaper Club. Extra, extra!

Truthkeeper posted:

It's bizarre, Ohtori seems like the kind of place that should be drowning in clubs and activities. It's a huge boarding school with a budget that probably dwarfs small nations. I mean, it's established fact that the student council does nothing but throw lavish parties and fight for the right to own a human being and maybe get control of a poorly defined power, but what the hell do the rest of the students do when they're not in class? We know there are sports other than the two sword clubs (well, we know there are basketball players who got schooled by Utena). Are we seriously expected to believe that that giant greenhouse full of roses is just there for Anthy?

Actually, that last one seems oddly plausible.

There's also the drama club the Shadow Play Girls belong to (the aliens take their place during the Black Rose arc and just randomly perform in the halls, but nobody seems to take notice of them except Utena, who is not put out, so presumably the drama club gets up to that crap all the time). The bodyswap episode implies that there's a cooking club (I'm not sure if it's mentioned offhandedly or you're supposed to take it on faith). Touga also randomly produces a horse one episode, which he certainly doesn't own, so presumably there is also a horse-riding club. (Granted, he also produces boxing gear out of thin air one episode, but that's the same episode where an entire boxing ring appears for two shots and then disappears.)

In the movie, the Shadow Play Girls instead run the campus radio (and video!) station as a club, although that raises more questions than it answers when the film proceeds into its final act.

Finally, if I remember rightly, when Nanami ascends to the Student Council and takes on a role as financier, and takes the kid as her secretary, I'm pretty sure he namedrops a few clubs when flipping through his schedule.

Oh, and Jury, Miki, and... a third party play badminton in the quad in one episode, so the school at least has the equipment for it, if not a club. There's also a nearby bowling alley (presumably at least partly-subsumed by the campus, since otherwise it means Jury leaves Ohtori for extended periods, although it is only mentioned in a Nanami Episode).

EDIT: there's also a swimming pool, although I think it only shows up in the movie, but it has what appears to be a swimming club to go with it.

Ace of Aces fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Nov 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Truthkeeper posted:

Newspaper club, because I'm curious about what goes in in a place with no named characters involved, and it's not like anybody else will vote for it.
I just want to hang out with some aliens, and the newspaper club seems like the place to be.

Baconomics
Feb 6, 2012

Saionji as the Scarecrow is great

Newspaper club

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Truthkeeper posted:

Newspaper club, because I'm curious about what goes in in a place with no named characters involved
Didn't you know that Saionji is also the head of the newspaper club?

That's why we never see a school paper.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Newspaper Club because I'm infinitely curious as to what it entails. (I'm betting Chuchu is the president)

Also that cull mechanic is randomly 0 to 4 loss with everyone? What a poo poo mechanic! Is this just when you move against Chigusa or something that happens regardless?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Potsticker posted:

Newspaper Club because I'm infinitely curious as to what it entails. (I'm betting Chuchu is the president)

Also that cull mechanic is randomly 0 to 4 loss with everyone? What a poo poo mechanic! Is this just when you move against Chigusa or something that happens regardless?

It's not "randomly," it's based on your interactions with Chigusa.

Spoiler tags around one specific example, but no explanation:

For example, if you all had picked "Mother" rather than "Father" as to who gave us our name, we'd have lost 3 roses rather than 1.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Oh, I misunderstood when you explained it, then. That's way less bad and doesn't really require that much interim saving as long as you can learn the pattern, which supports multiple playthroughs.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of this character.

She Doesn't trust Chigusa.
She does have fencing in her family heritage, but her rear end in a top hat dad said "women don't need to be strong".
We've kinda established that she has a crush on Juri.

I'd say a young girl in this situation would be daydreaming about showing up Chigusa in a duel, which would impress Juri and be a gently caress you to her dad.

Fencing Club

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Azza Bamboo posted:

She does have fencing in her family heritage, but her rear end in a top hat dad said "women don't need to be strong".

I'd say a young girl in this situation would be daydreaming about showing up Chigusa in a duel, which would impress Juri and be a gently caress you to her dad.

Fencing Club

Going to vote for Fencing based on this, even tho I'm super curious about Newspaper.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

Azza Bamboo posted:

Fencing Club

Going with this answer. The argument convinced me.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Baconomics posted:

Saionji as the Scarecrow is great

quote:

Saionji: The sum of the square roots of any two sides of an isoceles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side. Oh, joy! Rapture! I've got a brain!

Miki: But senpai...that only works for right triangles. That would mean it would work for an isoceles triangle only if it's otherwise right, see?

Saionji: As expected of Mickey...

Utena: Yeah, senpai, we're doing this is my math class right now. You're in Precalculus! You're not very good at math, are you?

Saionji: Silence, woman! When I seize the Rose Bride back, I will...

Utena: Anthy prefers a scientific-minded kind of guy, doesn't she, Miki?

Miki: :blush: Well...well...um...Help me, Touga-senpai! :blush:

Touga: I haven't received my heart yet.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
"How can I be a triangle if I only have two sides?"
"Let me give you my hypoteneuse, Saionji."

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
This game is so good. I'm just refreshing my memory as to what all the various options on this vote and its various sub-choices/routes do and, yeah, at some point I'm definitely going to need to make some post-game updates about some of the other scenes, although I doubt I'd want to transcribe them all.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Patter Song posted:

This game is so good. I'm just refreshing my memory as to what all the various options on this vote and its various sub-choices/routes do and, yeah, at some point I'm definitely going to need to make some post-game updates about some of the other scenes, although I doubt I'd want to transcribe them all.

You have to at least transcribe any joke options the thread somehow misses!

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

at some point I'm definitely going to need to make some post-game updates about some of the other scenes, although I doubt I'd want to transcribe them all.
You know the whole script is in plain .txt format in the patch folder, right? You've been using it to make your life easier? :ohdear:

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum
I just finished watching the show again thanks to stumbling upon this thread. I originally watched it back in the late 90s and it is astounding how much went right over my head. A lot still did even now since I’m pretty lousy at deciphering symbolism. Reading some of the breakdowns in here has been fascinating, and I am already in love with this game.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
my heart says fencing club but im gonna vote newspaper club. i WILL shoot ourself in the foot, in this game thats supposedly really easy to walk into a bad end, to know unimportant geek rear end details like what does journalism even look like at ohtori??

speaking of knowing unimportant geek rear end details: the cooking club is probably more like a home ec class. and i know there's a pool in the show too, in kozue's ep.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Surely you mean stab ourselves in the foot? After we put it in our mouth attempting to make a joke.

I want to vote for fencing club and given my track record with this kind of games it's probably the fast route to badendsville.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dallbun posted:

You know the whole script is in plain .txt format in the patch folder, right? You've been using it to make your life easier? :ohdear:

I did not know that, actually. I've been having Notepad files open while playing and transcribing as I go.

I...feel like an idiot now.

(I've also been playing each update like three or four times just because those stupid "rose up/down" images fly off the screen so fast. Luckily, each update is less than 5 minutes of gameplay, so it works out)

Anyway, my favorite images in this game are those bits in the intro:

Before Mikage pops up and covers a big chunk of the screen it's a lot easier to see that this is some sort of absurd space race where all the characters are piloting Akio's car accompanied by various Akio body parts. I love Saionji's Akio Torso thing. I have no idea what this scene is supposed to signify but it's a great visual.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

That is incredible

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I can't even imagine how insane an Ohtori newspaper club must be. I want to find out.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Flac posted:

speaking of knowing unimportant geek rear end details: the cooking club is probably more like a home ec class. and i know there's a pool in the show too, in kozue's ep.

Oh right. Maybe she's in the swimming club then, she's definitely pretty athletic in her own ways.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Patter Song posted:

Anyway, my favorite images in this game are those bits in the intro:

The shot is a reference to the opening of an old Thunderbirds-like show, I believe; I've seen other anime parody it too. I'm pretty sure I found the original once, but I don't remember what it was :(

Am I right in guessing you haven't seen the mini-artbook that came with the game? Because it has a much nicer version of this image, along with some... loosely related images.

fake edit: Some light googling has found poor quality scans of them here. Shouldn't be spoilery for either the game or the series - or at least no more spoilery than the intro image is.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 6, 2018

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Thanks, that was helpful. Vote stays open until end of the night.

By the way, obligatory friendly reminder to any Americans reading this to vote for real tomorrow if you haven't already. The non-Americans here have my full permission to sigh and complain about how every single thing they see online is full of discussion of loving American politics and can this election be over already?

EDIT: To be clear, this is not an invitation to actually talk politics. Please don't, there are several whole boards for that.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Oh I forgot to vote!

In this thread.

Newspaper club!

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
I can't stop laughing at the GiantAkioHeadAkioCar. He looks like somebody started building an Akio Gundam and then just stuck the head on his car..

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Oh, I forgot to vote.

In the thread. Not in real life. Fencing club

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

Am I right in guessing you haven't seen the mini-artbook that came with the game? Because it has a much nicer version of this image, along with some... loosely related images.

fake edit: Some light googling has found poor quality scans of them here. Shouldn't be spoilery for either the game or the series - or at least no more spoilery than the intro image is.

The best place for good-quality Utena images is always ohtori.nu.

The Gallery at Empty Movement

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cymoril posted:

I just finished watching the show again thanks to stumbling upon this thread. I originally watched it back in the late 90s and it is astounding how much went right over my head. A lot still did even now since I’m pretty lousy at deciphering symbolism. Reading some of the breakdowns in here has been fascinating, and I am already in love with this game.

Sorry I forgot to say this earlier, but thank you for liking the thread. Part of my hopes when I started this was to get people (re)watching the series and I'm happy that's succeeding.

Nozomi Entertainment should totally send me 10% of the 8 cents or so they've made off of ad revenue off of people watching the show from my link.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Vote is called.

Fencing wins by a narrow 9-8-3 lead over Newspaper and Kendo. Now you'll never know the secrets of the Ohtori school paper.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Dallbun posted:

The best place for good-quality Utena images is always ohtori.nu.

The Gallery at Empty Movement

Thanks, that saves me scanning them myself! We should note that that link is full of spoilers, though.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Patter Song posted:

Now you'll never know the secrets of the Ohtori school paper.

Zettai Bunbun Mokushiroku :negative:

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

here's the full bonus comic if anyone's interested, because the utena gallery IS a spoiler zone if you're not careful

anybody know what mikage's nametag/book he wears around his neck says in the intro cinematic? something memo?

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
I have very little idea what that says, but I have to say that the progression over the last two pages of Utena and Anthy approaching the gay event horizon only to interrupt for some sort of comment about UFOs followed by something lovely happening to Nanami is the most Utena thing.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Princey posted:

I have very little idea what that says, but I have to say that the progression over the last two pages of Utena and Anthy approaching the gay event horizon only to interrupt for some sort of comment about UFOs followed by something lovely happening to Nanami is the most Utena thing.

That's Wakaba, but it still checks out since another part of RGU's agenda is making onions cry now and then

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
I wonder if there's any art of Wakaba as an FF Onion Knight.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

I can't stop trying to work out the details of that comic. I really want to know the circumstances behind the student council trying to use a bunch of cars to form Akio Voltron

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Chapter XV: This Is What You Wanted, Thread

The thread voted by one vote to go Fencing rather than learn about the mysteries of Newspaper. What can you do?

Patter Song: (Jury-senpai invited me and all, so I guess I'll check out the Fencing Club.)

OK, off to the Chalk-White Fencing Hall we were in yesterday. I guess there's practice today.

Soundtrack: Possession https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIUbZrAIw44

Patter Song: (What the...But when I came here yesterday, the chalk-white fencing hall was here...What on earth did I see yesterday? My dad and the Chairman both talked about it... Was I just imagining things...? Was that stuff with Chigusa-san just a dream, too...? I don't understand. I don't understand...!)

OK, Protagonist-Us isn't an Ohtori native and isn't used to buildings just retroactively always-having-existed and never-having-existed or all the other weird reality shenanigans of Ohtori. Ohtori isn't Hogwarts, it's not as blatantly magical, but it is eerie and supernatural things do happen. OK, so the fencing hall we were in yesterday with the Chigusa graffiti wall and the Snow White calendar don't exist and are just a ruin...and we didn't actually meet with Chigusa herself? But we clearly did. :thinking: Anyway, on a more pressing note, where is the actual fencing hall?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNXDKfMSx7k&t=101s

The game just plays a bit from episode 7 from timestamps 1:40 to 2:00 on that link. It's Jury and the fencing club. I like it when the cutscenes are just bits from the show because I don't need to worry about the blurry 240p screengrabs of the show in action when you can look at the actual thing.

Soundtrack: The One Who Shoots At the Sunhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W1Y2_lg-UU

Naturally, all the girls spend their free time drooling over Jury and Miki. We're not ones to complain: Patter Song is here for the same reason they are.

Patter Song: Ah, someone's coming.

Fencer: Ah, can I help you?

Patter Song: Uh...would this happen to be the fencing hall?

Fencer: That's right.

Patter Song: (Maybe I misunderstood. About the chalk-white fencing hall and meeting Chigusa-san...)

Do you regularly just lose entire days or hours of your life in feverish delusions? If not, I don't know why you'd jump to assuming that you didn't go to the fencing hall yesterday and meet Chigusa. She clearly knew you this morning.

Fencer: Are you just visiting? Or do you want to join?

Patter Song: Oh, um...I thought I'd just come and watch.

Fencer: Captain! We have a visitor.

Why do we get to be on the floor with all the fencers while the other "visitors" wait in the balcony?

Target sighted, engaging.

Patter Song: Yes, my name's Patter Song.

Jury: Do you have any interest in fencing?

Patter Song: Yes, because my parents used to do it.

Jury: Hmm...Hey! Get this girl a suit and a saber!

That's a bit...early. Aren't you going to tell her stuff like "how to hold a sword" first?

Patter Song: Ehh? So soon?

Jury: Trying it out for real is the only way to learn. Go ahead and choose a partner. Of course, feel free to choose me, as well.

Oh, the thread's already chosen you.

Patter Song: (...she said to choose someone, but who?)

Soundtrack: Jab Up Beauty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BB8ZXD-AVI

Thread likes Miki, but thread adores Jury. Easy call.

Patter Song: OK, would you please teach me, Jury-senpai?

Patter Song: (Ah, just now, it looked like she smiled a little.)

Jury: Very well.

Sword noises follow, ending in a thump as Patter collapses to the ground.

Jury: Well? Are you ready to give in?

Patter Song: Just like Jury-senpai's saying, I'm pretty much at my limit, but...NOT YET!

Well then. As the two try to stick long objects into each other, a new menace arises. Disruptive clattering noises are heard: someone has arrived.

Jury: Another visitor?

You know who it is.

Soundtrack: Bluebeard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE4Fr3gsYBw

Jury: You must be Chigusa Sanjouin, the new transfer student who's both brilliant in school and talented at sports.

Jury apparently has an intel network that is second-to-none on Ohtori, in addition to being a model, a bowler, a fencer, and a Student Council member.

Jury: Of course, I'm deeply interested in having a match against you. However, I'm afraid I have to decline.

Chigusa: Why's that?

This...doesn't seem like it's ever been true.

There is exactly one character in the show who even claims that this is a rule.

He also breaks it more than anyone, in really flagrant ways. On a more serious note, the entire mechanism of the series is characters working out their insecurities, interpersonal conflicts, and introspective existential dilemmas through swordfighting. Just as Evangelion uses "beating up on giant alien monsters in mecha" as a vehicle for psychiatry, Utena uses "stab your friends with a human slave as the prize" as a vehicle for psychiatry. It's an almost shounen "sort out differences through fighting, you can only understand another person through fighting them" viewpoint...but, like Eva, Utena is a far more cynical show than the fighting shows that play "fight to understand each other" straight.

This is a lot of rambling when I could've said "Jury has never once followed the "no emotions in dueling" rule. Not once.

Chigusa: Oh? Those hardly sound like the words of a Duelist.

Jury: How do you mean?

Chigusa: Well, fine. It doesn't have to be now.

Jury: It doesn't matter when. It's not going to happen.

Chigusa: Oh, I'm sure you'll become more receptive to my challenge.

Jury: You! Where did you...!?

What do we have here?

Oh. I'm going to eventually have to do a Shiori character profile, aren't I? Well, it won't be this update. For now, all you need to know is that Jury's deepest secret is that she was madly in love with her childhood friend Shiori, but Shiori betrayed her by stealing the boy Jury was dating, and did it purely as a way to hurt Jury. Shiori later transfers into Ohtori and is the focus point of much of the actions of the latter two thirds of Utena, but at this point, she's still present only in the form of the picture of her that Jury keeps in her locket.

Jury: Did you...look inside?

Chigusa: Who knows? You can accept my challenge any time in the next 24 hours. Ha Ha Ha...!

Chigusa, are you really trying to blackmail an Ohtori student with the fact that she's homosexual? Given the gossip here, everyone already knows, and the girls at Ohtori will be glad half the competition has been knocked out, since Jury, pretty uniquely, doesn't seem all that interested in guys, just girls. Anyway, Chigusa exits. Yes, she actually does a Ha Ha Ha laugh. She does not do the noblewoman laugh that Nanami does ("O-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho"), even though you'd think she'd totally be the type.

What's intense, fencing or Jury/Chigusa standoffs?

So sorry, the Rose meter moves quickly and I didn't feel like replaying the entire update just to get a more in-frame picture. We got one rose, making up for the one Chigusa stole earlier.

Jury: You worked hard.

Patter Song: Ah, Jury-san.

Jury: You should probably take a shower. I'll show you where they are.

Patter Song: All right. Thank you very much.

OK, sure, show me to the shower stalls. That's polite. Let's see what happens after...what?

Soundtrack: Tenderness https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVUHPfdrDtE

Well, that was Revolutionary Girl Utena: Four Days In Ohtori. I don't know why the game ends on Day 2 in the middle, but you all did it, you reached the good end.

...OK, so those of you who didn't listen to the spoiler warnings and followed that link to the image gallery earlier are probably not very surprised. These images are the most widely-circulated things about this game: if you've seen anything at all from this game, it's the various love scene images with the characters in various states of undress. If you care at all about spoilers, do not track them down, and absolutely do not post them in thread. Note it's day 2 and we just got this one routinely. The images for all the characters happen at various points in the game along their routes and if you don't know where they are, you have to pretty much specifically hang out with someone at all times in hopes of seeing that sweet Saionji rear end.

I am not going to replay this entire game specifically to see Saionji's rear end, please do not ask me to.

Speaking of this particular image, note that Patter Song (her, not me) is clearly, clearly looking into Jury's stall, and blushing, while Jury confidently pays no mind, apparently thrilled to be giving the Protagonist a show. It's really revealing as to Jury's character...and ours, I guess.

You all chose this, not me. We could've gone off with Miki, or checked out the Newspaper Club, or hung out with Saionji and the Kendo Club. Your votes are the reason we're listening to our dear Protagonist realizing that girls can be attracted to girls in the most awkward way possible.

Jury: What is it?

Patter Song: Oh, nothing! Just...

Small talk, eh? What can we do?

Oh, that's a doozy.

It's up to you, thread. Are we going to Ask her why she fights or Ask her about the locket? Both routes seem fraught with peril. Choose wisely!

Until then, the Absolute Destiny Apocalypse.

TracerK
Jun 25, 2013

I doubt Jury would want to open up to someone she literally just met about a day ago about her secret crush. Let's ask why she fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Wow. Patter Song, completely by chance with no intentions beyond obfuscating her lust for that sweet sweet Juri-rear end, managed to come up with the two worst questions she could possibly ask. What are the odds?

Ask about why she fights though, that's always worth a chuckle watching her go back and forth on.