Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I remember that robocar decision thing I always told it to avoid animals and run down jaywalkers. I do not want to die because some shithead walked out into the street. if I redid it today I would tell it to aggressively run people down because gently caress it. still avoid animals of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

why are fat people better to hit than skinny people

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

is there a way to program a self driving car to run over executives even if the collision is avoidable

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Shear Modulus posted:

more mass to act as a brake and stop car sooner before it might run over a dog

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shear Modulus posted:

ya thats not going to last long one the auto insurance/repair industry gets their claws into it.

but then they'll have to fight with the desires of the medical insurance industry who lobbied for the 'fatties get hit first' law

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

bring back old gbs posted:

ya thats not going to last long one the auto insurance/repair industry gets their claws into it.

but then they'll have to fight with the desires of the medical insurance industry who lobbied for the 'fatties get hit first' law

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

good lord

https://twitter.com/jimmyjazz1968/status/1059499041044684800?s=21

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

push the fat man

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

luckily as an isolated piece of poo poo I'm immune to this sort of data gathering :smuggo:

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Jun 13, 2018

"This week, Domino's announced that it has started paying construction crews to fill potholes in towns across the US. The goal, according to the food-delivery giant, is to protect its pizzas.

Experts say the initiative is part of a wider trend of companies taking over the upkeep of civic services traditionally funded by government. "

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

who are these experts

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

who are these experts

the Cato institute

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
it chooses fat people because whenever someone uses a recaptcha they mistake skinny people for lamp posts

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Kill: executives, fat people, self driving car passenger, in that order
Spare: dogs, cats, children

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

It is important that it always runs directly into a wall at the first opportunity, though

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Guess I should get some scrubs and a lab coat so I don't get murdered by an autonomous car

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/AnnaZ/status/1059483335473405953

loving hell

https://twitter.com/ajwimsatt/status/1059525982602870785

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Research shows time and again that these kind of creepy vague-threat-like statements are in fact far more effective at getting people to vote than pretty much anything else anyone tries.

Likewise those ads that look like bills or legal notices always perform better than the glossy pamphlets. People know you can throw away a pamphlet, but they have to actually open and check the EMERGENCY NOTICE to see it says "Ted Cruz might lose!!!" on the inside.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

black mirror irl lookin good

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

seems like maybe there oughta be a law

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

:chloe:

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

The only new part of this is it’s a text. I used to get these mailers all the time. Even said who voted and how many times in recent elections. Trying to shame people into voting with peer pressure works.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's creepy, but not particularly more creepy than the other ways that Facebook has a metric ton of personal data on its users that it wheels and deals around.

I kinda like the idea of promoting people to make friends with the people they commute with everyday and spend hours with, but you shouldn't need a tech company tracking your every movement to get to know people is awful.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

I still have a fb account that I haven’t posted on in probably years now

when I check on it once or twice a year the list of suggested friends is filled with utter randos that I’ve never heard of or seen so I’m confident I’ve starved their algorithm that populates my personal dossier to death at this point

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
those random people are actually the fbi investigators that have been tailing you for the last 16 months because you flew too close to the sun and discovered the truth

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I still have a fb account that I haven’t posted on in probably years now

when I check on it once or twice a year the list of suggested friends is filled with utter randos that I’ve never heard of or seen so I’m confident I’ve starved their algorithm that populates my personal dossier to death at this point

bereft of meaningful variance ur account is utterly exposed and prone to leveraging by even the slightest move u make

tread carefully

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ted hitler posted:

Jun 13, 2018

"This week, Domino's announced that it has started paying construction crews to fill potholes in towns across the US. The goal, according to the food-delivery giant, is to protect its pizzas.

Experts say the initiative is part of a wider trend of companies taking over the upkeep of civic services traditionally funded by government. "

as part of the deal, they get to place permanent advertisements on or near the place they paid to fix

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
:bisonyes:

one step closer to demolition man future

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.

DiscountDildos posted:

https://twitter.com/wef/status/1058675216027660288?s=19

There is ethical vehicular manslaughter under capitalism

*loads up galaxy-brain.apk*

Invest.... In..... Adult-Sized....Onesy & Adult-Sized Stroller Startups

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1059619527556771840

quote:

“I am doing everything I can,” Governor Cuomo told reporters when asked Monday about the state’s efforts to lure the company. “We have a great incentive package,” he said.

“I’ll change my name to Amazon Cuomo if that’s what it takes,” Governor Cuomo said. “Because it would be a great economic boost.”

lets just rename nyc Amazon City while we're loving at it

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Crusader posted:

well it is the urban jungle so why not

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

So Amazon either sets up in the largest city in the US or a stone's throw from the seat of the federal government

I'm sure they would never use their economic power to influence policy

:thunk:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Crusader posted:

so... a second and third hq?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I know that every city government wants to give Amazon a million perks because they think getting the company to come there would boost their economy (and probably it'll wind up like all those cities that pay through the nose for the olympics or the world cup and never see a dime), but why on Earth is the biggest city on the planet groveling for a big company?

If anywhere can afford to play hardball with a big tech company, it's NYC.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Tokyo is grovelling for Amazon?

Huge, if true.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
you don't want amazon in your town.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

\

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

The Sun never sets on Amazon because God doesn’t trust Amazon in the dark.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

SlothfulCobra posted:

I know that every city government wants to give Amazon a million perks because they think getting the company to come there would boost their economy (and probably it'll wind up like all those cities that pay through the nose for the olympics or the world cup and never see a dime), but why on Earth is the biggest city on the planet groveling for a big company?

If anywhere can afford to play hardball with a big tech company, it's NYC.

the politicians want kickbacks. thats all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Am I the only one that finds it a little creepy for google to put this like an order?