Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Shut up you mithering fuckwit.

rapey joe stalin mad that people dont want sexually exploitative minis in their game. im fuckin stunnned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Maneck posted:

They've been so good about doing separate sprues recently. I guess they planned on these miniatures not being used anywhere else. :sadpeanut:

'Cept for that chaos guy with the hammer.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

What a lovely way of expressing your opinion. I'm sure he'll change how he sees things.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

For_Great_Justice posted:

What a lovely way of expressing your opinion. I'm sure he'll change how he sees things.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pretty extreme, Stalinist reaction to merely mentioning the model wasn’t to his liking.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Booley posted:

Love you too.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

rapey joe stalin mad that people dont want sexually exploitative minis in their game. im fuckin stunnned.

Mate you're doing a right wherrit.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Stephenls posted:

'Cept for that chaos guy with the hammer.

If the rumors of abaddon are true we can probably expect multiparty black legion alongside him.

I am doubtful they just sculpted the one mini and left it at that.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

bonds0097 posted:

If the rumors of abaddon are true we can probably expect multiparty black legion alongside him.

I am doubtful they just sculpted the one mini and left it at that.

Very unlikely a one off. A horde of black legion releases with some sort of supplement, maybe a mini codex of sorts, feels far more likely with the deamon stuff they just advertised.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Guy Goodbody posted:

They posted the Blackstone Fortress sprues. Looks like the Chaos Lord could be released separately but all the other minis are gonna be exclusive to this box.

Maneck posted:

They've been so good about doing separate sprues recently. I guess they planned on these miniatures not being used anywhere else. :sadpeanut:

They probably are planned on not for anything else, although them not being their own sprue isn't necessarily the kiss of death? They still have the sculpts and everything, it wouldn't be as hard for them to make a new sprue using those existing bits as it would be to make a whole new model from scratch, I would think. I could be wrong about that though I guess. You'd definitely need all new molds.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Did the cultists from the chaos v dark angels box have mixed sprues they made separately?

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

They probably are planned on not for anything else, although them not being their own sprue isn't necessarily the kiss of death? They still have the sculpts and everything, it wouldn't be as hard for them to make a new sprue using those existing bits as it would be to make a whole new model from scratch, I would think. I could be wrong about that though I guess. You'd definitely need all new molds.

I think they did this with the cultists from dark vengeance, unless the cultists released separately are from an individual cultist-only sprue. What definitely got separate releases was the helbrute from dark vengeance and the blight drones from dark imperium. Dark dark dark.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

LingcodKilla posted:

Pretty extreme, Stalinist reaction to merely mentioning the model wasn’t to his liking.

He wouldn't have got that reaction if he'd "merely mentioned the model wasn't to his liking".

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Did the cultists from the chaos v dark angels box have mixed sprues they made separately?

Just the regular joes. Not the special/heavy weapon or leaders.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Lungboy posted:

He wouldn't have got that reaction if he'd "merely mentioned the model wasn't to his liking".

Open hostility doesn’t seem like the appropriate reaction.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

This seems like a remarkably extreme response.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Its ok to not like something you'd think without it turning into visceral hatred.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Really the problem here is that most of the models don't have weirdly splayed legs and boobplate and I think we should start some sort of petition

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zaphod42 posted:

Look at the current Plague Marine options. The Plague Marines in Dark Imperium are different from the Plague Marines in the Plague Marine box. But they're similar and look right next to each other. I imagine that'll be the same with the CSM in the BF box and a future CSM box.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Its ok to not like something you'd think without it turning into visceral hatred.

Lol nice one pot, you showed that kettle.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

krursk posted:

I’m experimenting with that. I’ve got a 2k game this Friday so I’m taking a Goff battalion with 3x20 scar boys and Zagstruck with the Follow Me Ladz trait (never mind can’t do that... well I’ll make Someone on a bike warlord instead) To run them around I’ve got an Evil Sunz spearhead with 3 ‘ard case Deffrolla Battlewagons and a wartrike boss. That’s just over 1k points of hard hitting mobile mechanised core. I’m going to fill the leftover 900ish points up with several of the new buggies and KFF bike Meks. My game plan is to drive around as fast as possible and incessantly quote the mad max and death race movies.

Just so you knows boss, them Evil Sunz gitz ain't going to let Goff boyz ride around in them snazzy wagons!

Edit:

I also had a (to my shame, mostly unpainted on my side, but most of it did arrive on Saturday) game on Sunday with 1.5k of my Boyz allied with 1.5 of Guard/Knights against 3k of Necrons.

I certainly have opinions about buggies now! Will try and do an effort post later.

Harkano fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 6, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Look at the current Plague Marine options. The Plague Marines in Dark Imperium are different from the Plague Marines in the Plague Marine box. But they're similar and look right next to each other. I imagine that'll be the same with the CSM in the BF box and a future CSM box.

Yeah this is a good point. They like to skimp on the boxed versions since they're giving you a discount, so you don't get nearly as many bitz or options as you would in the normal unit kit.

So then it'd make sense to have separate sprues anyways.

Harkano posted:

I certainly have opinions about buggies now! Will try and do an effort post later.

I definitely want to hear your opinions. I'm building a freebooters list right now which is going to look pretty similar, since I have the speed freeks box and may as well use those units too. (Gonna have a battleship full of flash gitz tho, even if they're not the best. Just love those guys too much)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 6, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So I’ve been thinking about the phrase “At the end of your movement phase” (I think someone lost a tournament over this phrase during the summer?) and I’m wondering: does “At the end of your movement phase” mean that you can only ever do one such activity per turn since each activity ends your phase (coming as it does at the end of the phase)?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Nov 6, 2018

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Schadenboner posted:

So I’ve been thinking about the phrase “At the end of your movement phase” (I think someone lost a tournament over this phrase during the summer?) and I’m wondering: does “At the end of your movement phase” mean that you can only ever do one such activity per turn since each activity ends your phase (coming as it does at the end of the phase)?

The movement phase takes place after you've built and (optionally) painted some models and then deployed them.

I read it that it just means that you can do X after you've moved all your stuff.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Schadenboner posted:

If things happen simultaneously the controlling player decides the order they're resolved in, but they do all happen.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Corrode posted:

If things happen simultaneously the controlling player decides the order they're resolved in, but they do all happen.

So there's a subphase of the movement phase called "The End" during which multiple things can happen? That does makes sense.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Schadenboner posted:

So there's a subphase of the movement phase called "The End" during which multiple things can happen? That does makes sense.

Neither do most of your posts.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
If there was only ever a single EoT trigger allowed per phase you could straight up deny deepstrikes by using a trigger before your opponent on their movement phase.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

I definitely want to hear your opinions. I'm building a freebooters list right now which is going to look pretty similar, since I have the speed freeks box and may as well use those units too. (Gonna have a battleship full of flash gitz tho, even if they're not the best. Just love those guys too much)

Rambling commences.

My list wasn’t optimal, just due to only playing 1500 points, whereas I want to be running a proper Brigade of Evil Sunz, and I was running as many buggies as I could squeeze in.

Quick side note. I played 8 bikers for the first time and they got taken off the table like they were nothing, and the 3 that got a round of combat did nothing since they’re basically just expensive fast Boyz. Having just double checked though I made some mistake with the hacked BattleScribe file I was using before the official one came out and I paid 243pts for them rather than 207. Either way, 157pts of Necrons destroyers laughed at them as they bounced off.

New toy wise I had -
Deffkilla Wartrike (DW)with the Evil Sunz warlord trait, and the 5++ relic armour
two Kustom Boosta Blasta
S (KBB) (the flames and rivet gun from speed freeks)
two Megatrakk Scrapjets” (MS) (the one that looks like it should fly with a rocket cannon and shootas)
one Shokkjump Dragsta (SD) ( the other one from speed freeks with the flux capacitor)

I had high hopes of the SD doing a good job as a tank killer but the low volume of fire really hurt even with a 3+. I think I’m going to stick with a mix of Traktors and KMKs for this role. I can have two KMKs for the price of the buggy and it gives me more shots, range and more wounds (though less toughness, and basically no mobility).

The DW I’m not sure I like. It’s got a decent mix of weapons, including a flamer that did some work. I wish you could upgrade the Klaw to the relic Klaw since his klaw isn’t a 2xS. The limitation to vehicles and bikers only on the Waaagh ability is painful, since I don’t think the buggies really want to be charging, as they pay for some real pricey guns, and the warlord trait letting them fall back and charge, but not shoot, sucks for that too. Trying to figure out who I’d want to lead my Evil Sunz (index and forgeworld options each have their own drawbacks).

The MS were both very heroic, with a decent mix of lots of basic dakka that were getting hits through, and a few powerful weapons that occasionally did work (finished off the destroyers and the monolith).

The KBBs also did some good work, between flamers and the high rate of fire for a S7 weapon in the Rivet Kannon.

All of the buggies suffered from being crazy fragile, and I was having KFF coverage issues. I think I might switch to a biker KFF for buggies, and a foot slogger KFF for my Boyz (and a Painboy), as losing wounds/dudes automatically to basically any AP was real bad.

I think S5 boyz are going to be huge. So I’m looking at splitting my Boyz into 2 battalions. 2 Skarboyz in Goffs with Thraka, padded with some “shield grots”. And 1 normal unit of Evil Sunz that’ll get turn 1 Jumped with some objective holding grots filling out the battalion. Also need to do this as my Evil Sunz Brigade doesn’t work anymore since they moved the Runtherd to not take up the vital Elite slot.

I’m also excited for a deep striked Gorkonaut but can’t decide whether it should be Goff or Evil Sunz, as either way it probably comes in with Ramming Speed for 3d6. So it’s exploding 6s on melee, vs whatever the odds of a 3d6+1” charge with ere we go are. Also possibly being close to the Nobz’s Waaagh banner to hit on 2s, since he’ll be a Goff for sure.

Edit:
Interesting side note in terms of mixing klans.
Transports, Painboy, Waagh Banner, and Grot Shields are all KLAN tagged.

KFF, and Psychic Powers aren’t.

Harkano fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 6, 2018

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Schadenboner posted:

How it works is described in the rulebook under "Sequencing", consider consulting that section.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
Interesting observations Harkano. Out of all the buggies would you say the best performer was the Skrapjet? Also thanks for pointing out the klan tag restrictions, I stupidly overlooked them. I will tweak my list accordingly.

Edit: On a semi-related note would converting 9 tractor kannons for campaign games against Tau and Blood Angels+Custodes Doombike players be too douchey?

krursk fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 6, 2018

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Had a rematch with my Crimson Fists against my friend's Death Guard / Nurgle demons. We went up to 2,000 points, a first for me with my Primaris marines. I knew he would be bringing in some big new models since he has been painting up converted Knights and Armigers. Ended up facing off against 2 x Helverins. My list wasn't super strong since I don't have much for the army yet to get past 2,000, so I was a bit heavy on characters (Pedro Kantor did a decent job for me). I just didn't feel like I had anything to answer the Helverins. I waited until turn 3 to bring in my Inceptors, once I realized that his Helverins couldn't walk away from them. Failed the charge though so they didn't manage to tie him up. My Las Talon / Cannon Repulsor would have been useful against them I think, but it was busy killing his Great Unclean One and I tried to keep it out of LOS from the Helverins anyways. My Hellblasters might have been helpful, but they were killed fairly early.

We were playing ITC Big Guns Never Tire, first time I have played ITC in awhile. He ended up beating me fairly easily on objective points in part because of some poor choices on my part, and in part because his Great Unclean One managed to tank lots more firepower than normal. On the plus side, Pedro Kantor survived two rounds of combat with the GUO, which was super lucky.

In the future, what do you recommend for mostly pure Primaris against Helverins and / or Knights? I was thinking of adding some Reivers to try to tie them up, or a Predator for some cheap anti-armor firepower. Or maybe just more Hellblasters.

In my dream army, I would add a Land Raider Proteus and Deimos Predator to keep with my Rogue Trader style theme, but those are super expensive FW items and probably not that effective. Plus the only model in my army that could ride in the Land Raider is Pedro Kantor because reasons.

Soldier o Fortune fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 6, 2018

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I finished up a Kustom Boosta-Blasta, this was quite a bit of fun to paint.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Soldier o Fortune posted:

In the future, what do you recommend for mostly pure Primaris against Helverins and / or Knights? I was thinking of adding some Reivers to try to tie them up, or a Predator for some cheap anti-armor firepower. Or maybe just more Hellblasters. .

I’ve just started playing again myself, have played about 12 games so far against some pretty competitive guys, just did a tournament this last weekend. Also playing mostly Primaris, though Salamanders instead of Crimson Fists.

Honestly, there isn’t a whole lot that works well in the Primaris kit vs. a decently played Knight, so far as I know. I have Bray’arth, who costs about as much as a regular Knight, but he’s gotten his rear end kicked both times he fought one.

The best solution I can think of, within the same points range as a Knight, would be some combination of lots of Hellblaster shots plus Aggressors charging and piling on the power fists. Any non-idiot Knight player is going to blow his CP and get that 3+ invuln, though, so you have to deal an effective 72 wounds in one turn to it - after misses and wound rolls - and doing that with even 1000 points of Hellblasters and Aggressors, all in ideal engagement range, is... unlikely. Getting it below half and reducing its template is more feasible but you’re still going to lose probably more points than the Knight cost, and the rest of his army is going hog wild.

I mean I guess you could also spend $400 and field an Astraeus, but I’ve never tried that and I don’t know if it can actually kill a Knight. Given my other experience with Forgeworld stuff, though, it’s probably hugely overcosted and only has half a shot at winning.

It seems like mortal wounds are a huge deal in the meta and Primaris don’t have much in the way of them... or any realistically costed way across the table and into range. I get devoured by Tau gunlines every week.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Coldbird posted:

I’ve just started playing again myself, have played about 12 games so far against some pretty competitive guys, just did a tournament this last weekend. Also playing mostly Primaris, though Salamanders instead of Crimson Fists.

Honestly, there isn’t a whole lot that works well in the Primaris kit vs. a decently played Knight, so far as I know. I have Bray’arth, who costs about as much as a regular Knight, but he’s gotten his rear end kicked both times he fought one.

The best solution I can think of, within the same points range as a Knight, would be some combination of lots of Hellblaster shots plus Aggressors charging and piling on the power fists. Any non-idiot Knight player is going to blow his CP and get that 3+ invuln, though, so you have to deal an effective 72 wounds in one turn to it - after misses and wound rolls - and doing that with even 1000 points of Hellblasters and Aggressors, all in ideal engagement range, is... unlikely. Getting it below half and reducing its template is more feasible but you’re still going to lose probably more points than the Knight cost, and the rest of his army is going hog wild.

I mean I guess you could also spend $400 and field an Astraeus, but I’ve never tried that and I don’t know if it can actually kill a Knight. Given my other experience with Forgeworld stuff, though, it’s probably hugely overcosted and only has half a shot at winning.

It seems like mortal wounds are a huge deal in the meta and Primaris don’t have much in the way of them... or any realistically costed way across the table and into range. I get devoured by Tau gunlines every week.

The way to beat knights as marines is to charge them with dreads/contemptor dreads, since knights don't have invulns in cc. You have to get the charge though, since otherwise the knight will beat up your dread.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Chaplain dreads with a screen of marines can reliably get to the knight, and they can knock off a significant number of wounds. They’re cheaper than Bray’Arth, though still pretty expensive.

Blood Angels can fistfight knights and do alright, no one else really can though.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Also that chaplain can give +1 str to any of those screen units if they survive and get in. At least then they're rolling 5s to wound

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

R0ckfish posted:

This is fantastic.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Booley posted:

The way to beat knights as marines is to charge them with dreads/contemptor dreads, since knights don't have invulns in cc. You have to get the charge though, since otherwise the knight will beat up your dread.

I didn't think of that. Might be worth trying next time, although right now I'm just running a Redemptor. I do want to add a Contemptor for the old school feel though. Last game my Redemptor got super unlucky - his GUO took 16 wounds from my fists, saved basically all of them with some insane rolling, and then killed my poor Dread dead with his sword. How do you get a Dread across the table against something like Helverins who are hanging back and shooting? I guess if they die then the enemy isn't shooting other things at least.

Coldbird posted:

Sounds about right!

The only Astraeus I have heard about being used was by our own dear Badcaster Dan at Nova, and I don't think it did so well.

Since I run Pedro Kantor and he gives extra attacks, plus the normal Chapter Master level bonus, maybe him plus Chaplain and LT to augment an assault team. I would even consider doing this with Terminators for fun, but a normal Land Raider can't fit a character plus a squad, boo. I find my Repulsor with 3 Aggressos backed up by an LT, Captain, and Apothecary to be a super useful combo and they all fit in the Repulsor just fine.

R0ckfish posted:

Must not start new army...must stay strong...you are not helping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

R0ckfish posted:

This whole thing is great. Would you mind sharing your recipe for the tires?