Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Novum posted:

Shadow of Moil: basically gives me all the advantages of invisibility when I fight?

Pretty much from checking the spell.

Sage Genesis posted:

The Dragon got killed in the Revised 2e setting. It was the 4e one which said "gently caress that" and undid a lot of the awful, awful, terrible, gross, awful, garbage metaplot of Revised.

Ok that's cool. I know one of the Dark Sun settings was heavily disliked for the changes it made, one of the most notable being the killing of the Dragon. I just did not remember which one it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Novum posted:

Shadow of Moil: basically gives me all the advantages of invisibility when I fight?

Yes, it's the upgrade for the Darkness+Devil's Sight combo.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Novum posted:

Mechanically, yeah, I think it'd be similar but extend around you a bit. From memory, darkness counts as a heavily obscured area and I guess that's what's happening rather than "you are heavily obscured" being its own effect. Also from memory, you're treated as being in a heavily obscured area if you're invisible, so yeah.

Narratively / nonmechanically / however you want to put it... I've never been in a game where the GM treats "nobody can see you because it's dark" and "you are literally invisible" the same way, so it'd be worth checking with your GM first.

E: removed irrelevant comments about obscurement, lighting, and blindness.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 4, 2018

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

What a waste of ink. The text repeatedly and immediately contradicts itself

It's always true, except when it's false
It's never needed, unless it is

All that poo poo should boil down to "adventurers need magic to surpass many if not most obstacles. The magic can come from many sources- items, PCs, NPC hirelings/allies, etc"

Sure would be nice if they took a firm design stance instead of telling you it's a powerful toolset to run any setting imaginable and then designing what they were always going to design in the first place.

This goes way back. Don't forget that "Always [Alignment]" in 3E actually meant *mostly* that alignment because they just can't help but hedge instead of clearly. writing. words.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Long post warning!

I'd like some advice on items. I have a very powerful NPC Wizard who's quite eccentric, naturally, and he does a sort of item gambling bonus. Basically, the more money and magic items a person gives him, the more powerful items they get back. The gambling is that you don't have any idea what the item might do, but it's always an upgrade. that's why there are different amounts of abilities for each party member, though I tried to make them all interesting. the Monk's items are from something else, I wanted to catch the player up after a long absence (Parenting).

We finally played again last night after a bit of a hiatus and I noticed a combat imbalance, the rogue and monk have a lot of bonus actions to do, but the cleric and sorcerer don't. I feel kinda bad when they only have a single action. We generally only play with 3 players due to schedules. The Monk or Rogue tend to switch off, so I'm not worried about over-powering the players in the Out of the Abyss campaign.

The floating shield lets the cleric 2-hand attack, but I might add an ability to use a reaction to defend a melee-range ally. That doesn't add any "bonus" actions though. Would making the Sorcerer's staff workable with actions and bonus actions be too powerful? I don't think he'll ever run out of charges otherwise...

Thoughts?

Items:

8Monk/1Rogue:

Boon of Fate:
-When another creature that you can see within 60 feet of you makes an ability check, an attack roll, or a saving throw, you can roll a D10 and apply the result as a bonus or penalty to the roll. Once you use this boon, you can't use it again until you finish a short rest.

+2 Staff of Sh'yan Ḿngx: Requires Attunement
-6th Sense: 
Add Wisdom Modifier to Initiative Roll.
-Self Defense:
If the user is being physically held by another creature, at the beginning of the creature's turn, it must make a Wisdom saving throw or suffer 3D6 Radiant damage and let go.
Empty socket in the head of the staff, the edges are slightly damaged

Cleric:

+1 Vivacious Shield of Pep: Requires Attunement
+3 AC
-While holding this Shield, you can speak its Command Word as a Bonus Action to cause it to animate. The Shield leaps into the air and hovers in your space to protect you as if you were wielding it, leaving your hands free. The Shield remains animated for 1 minute until you use a Bonus Action to end this effect, or until you are Incapacitated or die, at which point the Shield falls to the ground or into your hand if you have one free.
Advantage on all saving throws.

Ancient Pommel of the Warhammer of Making Peace: Enhances Attunened Magic Weapon, 
-When you hit a fiend or an Undead with this Magic Weapon, that creature takes an extra 2d6 radiant damage. If the target has 25 hit points or fewer after taking this damage, it must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or be destroyed. On a successful save, the creature becomes Frightened of you until the end of your next turn.
-When combined with Dawn Bringer you have more control over the emitted light. You can now choose the color of light, and focus it into a beam, down to flashlight levels, or even a pinpoint. When lit like a lantern, the light can extend an extra 10 feet, when focused like a flashlight it can go an extra 50 feet forward, and when focused to a pinpoint it can reach an extra 100 feet visibly. (Lazer Pointer).
Adds +1 to the enhanced item.

Rogue:

+2 Blade of the Spitting Viper (Dagger): Requires Attunement
-You have Immunity to Poison damage while you hold this dagger.
-You gain a +2 bonus to Attack and Damage Rolls made with this Magic Weapon.
-The dagger constantly oozes a greenish-black poison, coating the blade. 
-On the first successful attack each turn with this weapon on a creature, that creature must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or take 2d10 poison damage and become Poisoned for 1 minute.

Quiver of Elemental Furiosity: Requires Attunement
-This quiver does not run out of ammunition.
-When you attack with ammunition from this quiver, you can choose the type of damage for that attack.  
Damage types include Fire, Lightning, Poison. 
-2 open indentions next to the Red, Yellow, and Black gems that provide the elemental properties.

Sorcerer:

Obsidian Shard from the Plane of Elemental Fire (Staff): Requires Attunement by a Druid, Sorcerer, Warlock, or Wizard
-You have Immunity to fire damage while you hold this Shard.
-You can use your bonus action to turn the staff into a greatsword made of flame.
-You can use your action to make a melee spell Attack with the fiery blade. On a hit, the target takes additional 3d6 fire damage.
-The flaming blade sheds bright light in a 10-foot radius and dim light for an additional 10 feet.
-The staff has 14 Charges. While holding it, you can use an action to expend 1 or more of its Charges to cast one of the following Spells from it, using your spell save DC:
Cauterize wounds (1 Charge)
You stabilize whenever you are dying at the start of Your Turn.
Per short rest when you roll Hit Dice to regain hit points, double the number of hit points restored.
Flamewhip (1 Charge)
You create a magical whip of fire that can be used as a melee weapon. As an action, you can make a melee spell attack against a target within 10 feet of you. The whip does 1d6 slashing + 1d6 fire damage.
The target is restrained. At the start of each of its turns, the target must make a Strength saving throw. It takes 1d6 fire damage on a failure. A creature that succeeds on its saving throw is also no longer restrained.
Chaotic Wonder (2 Charges) 
DM rolls a d100 for a random effect (I think it's a different table than wild magic, but similar).
Flame Breath (2 Charges)
A 15 ft. cone of fire spews forth from your mouth. Each creature in the area of the exhalation must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 4d6 damage on a failed save, and half as much damage on a successful one. 
FireBall (3 Charges) 
-The staff regains 1d10 + 4 expended Charges daily at dawn. If you expend the last charge, roll a d20. On a 1, the staff blackens, crumbles into cinders, and is destroyed.

Effervescent Candle of Whimsy: Requires Attunement
-The candle's magic is activated when the Candle is lit, which requires an action. After burning for 2 hours, the Candle is destroyed. You can snuff it out early for use at a later time. Deduct the time it burned in increments of 5 minute from the candle's total burn time.
-While lit, the Candle sheds dim light in a 30-foot radius. Any creature within that light whose alignment matches that of the Candle makes Attack rolls, saving throws, and Ability Checks with advantage. In addition, a Cleric or druid in the light whose alignment matches the candle's can cast 1st-level Spells he or she has prepared without expending Spell Slots, though the spell's effect is as if cast with a 1st-level slot.
-All spells roll +1 for wild magic.
-Alternatively, when you light the Candle for the first time, you can cast the Prismatic Wall spell with it. Doing so destroys the Candle.

PS: I recommend Out of the Abyss! It's my first DMing, and it's a big module that's got a lot going on, but it's been a blast. We're getting into the start of the second half, where we've gone back into the Underdark.

*Edit: Oh and before anyone comments on a Cleric using Dawnbringer, it's a warhammher. I don't want to hear anyone argue about it, because our Cleric of Light was so happy to have a weapon made of light. It makes perfect sense that a magical weapon made of light can easily take whatever form the attuned bearer desires, and is happy to do so! :colbert:

Antiquated Pants fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 5, 2018

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

8Monk/1Rogue:

Boon of Fate:
A super Guidance, basically. Like, Guidance++. Considering your party's 9th level, and Guidance is a cantrip, bumping it by three die sizes and having it apply to any die roll could be enough. Having the option to affect opponents as well might be a little too powerful, tbh, as tanking an enemy's save, or attack roll, by around -5.5 is huge, let alone if you hit the maximum of -10. Depending on your mythos, I could also see fluffing the item as a knotted strand of fate, plucked from the weavers' loom.

+2 Staff of Sh'yan Ḿngx:
Stops grapples, makes the character pretty much win initiative at this point, and is a +2 staff on top. Neat, but kinda underwhelming compared to other stuff you're handing out. I'm assuming the empty socket is some sort of a hint of upgrading it, though?

Cleric:

+1 Vivacious Shield of Pep: 
Definitely useful. However, no limits on how often it can animate (i.e. after the minute, you could just reanimate it again with no downtime). Is this intended?

Ancient Pommel of the Warhammer of Making Peace: 
Not super keen on stuff that literally only works on specific enemy groups, but this is more an enhancement to an already existing weapon, so it's OK. Would probably have it be either a length of blessed leather (celestial skin?) to re-wrap a weapon handle, or a hand-guard similar to that of a raiper. Reason being, Dawnbringer (at least in the pictures I've found, which may or may not be official) already has a pommel shaped like a half-sun, with a ruby set into it. Kinda pointless to have two pommels for one handle. :shrug:

Rogue:

+2 Blade of the Spitting Viper (Dagger):
I can dig it. At the same time, maybe up the DC? 15 seems a little easy to pass for the kinds of thing you'd want to poison with it.

Quiver of Elemental Furiosity: 
As with the Staff above, assuming the two slots are possible upgrade routes? If so, then yeah, super cool, flavorful without being broken. I'd also check back a few pages, at ProfessorCirno's post on neat bow-related stuff, and take a few ideas from there.

Sorcerer:

Obsidian Shard from the Plane of Elemental Fire (Staff): 
Flamewhip seems super weak compared to the Greatsword mode. Sure, you get another 5' of reach, and restrain the target. At the same time, I'm losing out on 1d6 slashing AND 2d6 fire damage. Next turn, the target has a chance to either break free, or take another 1d6 fire damage and stay restrained. Now, I'm assuming you can't attack again with the whip, since to do so would mean the target isn't restrained anymore, so that's another attack of either the whip or greatsword you're missing out on, just to CC one dude and do a piddly amount of fire damage.

On top of that, you can Greatsword for free, while the Flamewhip costs a charge. Hell, if I didn't need to Fireball some dorks, or do any healing (do you also have to spend the charge for Cauterize to get the benefit during short rests?), I'd just Greatsword all day and be tossing out 5d6 damage a round, with shield backup, and gish my head off until the cows come home.

Cauterize's stabilization should be automatic, consuming a charge automatically at the start of your turn, whether you want it to or not. I'd personally have any extra healing it provides during rests also leave scars, as cauterizing wounds is quick and effective, but drat brutal, and nowhere near pretty.

Chaotic Wonder is, to put it bluntly, never, eeeeeeeeeever going to be consciously used by any serious party. There's kind of a reason Wild Magic Sorcerers aren't super popular, and this is that, but even more vague.

Effervescent Candle of Whimsy: 
So, I can either keep track of 5-minute intervals up to 2 hours (so 40 intervals altogether) to get allies Advantage on pretty much any of their rolls, as well as free 1st-level spells (and also increased Wild Magic, but that's whatever)

OR

I get Prismatic Wall, a horrifically powerful 9th-level spell that requires a specific method to undo and absolutely shits on, well, 99% of anything mortal. Minimum 5d6 EACH Fire, Lightning, Cold, Poison and Acid damage, as well as two more Dex saves, one to see if they are restrained and need to make Con saves (three failures before three successes means petrification), the other to see if they're blinded and need to make a Wis save or get banished to another plane.

I know which one I'd pick, and it's not the one that requires me to keep track of 40 little time intervals.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to poo poo on your whole day, because there's definitely good ideas behind each of these items. However, you gotta sit down and think, "How can I break the gently caress outta them", because you know your players will do the same.

Razorwired posted:

It's why I wish they designed the Wizard schools around actual schools of thought instead of menus comprised of similar effects. A School of Entropy that teaches mostly Evocation and Decay style Necromancy because "Everything should end." A School of Shifting Perception that does Transmutation and Illusion because "Reality is what we make it." Actual philosophies about energy or relationships or patron spirits instead of "These spells all do fire damage".

I know it's a couple of days later, but I really like the concept, and if you wouldn't mind and have the time, I'd definitely like to hear more about this kinda thing. I've never been really into the D&D spell schools, because outside of a few prestige classes in 3.pf and a paragon path or two in 4e, there was really just "The Illusionist", and maybe a mention of using that as a framework for other schools. Having something a little more fleshed out, even if it's just more nebulous "schools" based less on the effect and more on the cause of the spells, would be really cool.

Aniodia fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 5, 2018

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
So my group playing ToA has a beast master ranger in it playing the revised UA version. It sounds like my dm is going to make him switch to this new official version. Is there a blog somewhere that explains why this is a bad idea and a straight down grade for the ranger? My dm tends to believe wizards of the coast doesn't make mistakes...

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Spikes32 posted:

My dm tends to believe wizards of the coast doesn't make mistakes...

:allbuttons:

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

I should probably rephrase that to he gives them the benefit of the doubt too much.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Spikes32 posted:

So my group playing ToA has a beast master ranger in it playing the revised UA version. It sounds like my dm is going to make him switch to this new official version. Is there a blog somewhere that explains why this is a bad idea and a straight down grade for the ranger? My dm tends to believe wizards of the coast doesn't make mistakes...

There's almost no chance that there's anything else to the errata than what we've seen already but the errata isn't actually out yet so don't expect to find any blog posts yet.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Spikes32 posted:

Your DM is an idiot and you should mutiny on this point

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Epi Lepi posted:

There's almost no chance that there's anything else to the errata than what we've seen already but the errata isn't actually out yet so don't expect to find any blog posts yet.

I didn't realize that was the case from how it was discussed here. Thanks I'll keep an eye out then.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

kidkissinger posted:

Your DM is an idiot and you should mutiny on this point

:emptyquote: :sever:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Spikes32 posted:

Just do what I do and make constant snide remarks about how terrible Beast Master is until either the player or DM catch the hint.

Another good one is to play a Paladin and constantly flaunt your celestial horse, that you get for free. Bonus if you're a DEX Paladin with nature powers or Hunter's Mark.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

the gently caress are these loot reward tables for low level CR's in the DMG do they want my players to starve

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Conspiratiorist posted:

Just do what I do and make constant snide remarks about how terrible Beast Master is until either the player or DM catch the hint.

Another good one is to play a Paladin and constantly flaunt your celestial horse, that you get for free. Bonus if you're a DEX Paladin with nature powers or Hunter's Mark.

The crazy thing is I'm playing a paladin! Also, I just had a thought. Any spell that I cast that targets just me I can extend to my mount. Does this also include the bonus spell smites?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Spikes32 posted:

The crazy thing is I'm playing a paladin! Also, I just had a thought. Any spell that I cast that targets just me I can extend to my mount. Does this also include the bonus spell smites?

Indeed.

However: The initiative of a controlled mount changes to match yours when you mount it. It moves as you direct it, and it has only three action options: Dash, Disengage, and Dodge. A controlled mount can move and act even on the turn that you mount it.

So the best use for this is usually Shield of Faith or Protection from Evil. Haste for lvl 9 Vengeance Paladins.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Conspiratiorist posted:

Indeed.

However: The initiative of a controlled mount changes to match yours when you mount it. It moves as you direct it, and it has only three action options: Dash, Disengage, and Dodge. A controlled mount can move and act even on the turn that you mount it.

So the best use for this is usually Shield of Faith or Protection from Evil. Haste for lvl 9 Vengeance Paladins.

But I could cast it and jump off my mount after which it could attack and get the benefit of the smite spell?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Spikes32 posted:

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/1021074364832231424

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Spikes32 posted:

Tell your friend he should ask the gm if he can reroll as a rogue scout.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
oh wow that is some grade a weaselly bullshit

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Spikes32 posted:

The base beastmaster is a terrible subclass hung on a bad class. Even if the new beastmaster is good it will still be stuck to the old ranger.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Splicer posted:

oh wow that is some grade a weaselly bullshit

Yep that was real disappointing and annoying to read. And unfortunately the group really loves their little dinosaur pet so he is here to stay. I would just feel really bad for him if he had to remake his character sheet and got nerfed for doing so.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Spikes32 posted:

Yep that was real disappointing and annoying to read. And unfortunately the group really loves their little dinosaur pet so he is here to stay. I would just feel really bad for him if he had to remake his character sheet and got nerfed for doing so.

Even if the DM thinks the worse ranger is better it's pretty bullshit to for a player to completely remake their character midway through a campaign.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

frajaq posted:

the gently caress are these loot reward tables for low level CR's in the DMG do they want my players to starve

Are you looking at the treasure hoards or the individual treasure tables.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

8Monk/1Rogue:
Boon of Fate:
This is actually copied directly from the Boon section of the book since this player was out for so long I wanted to give him a little bonus and it pairs well with his character's style and Lucky feat.

+2 Staff of Sh'yan Ḿngx:
Yah, I don't have anything specific planned out but it's for an upgrade later. Basically, when the player finds something he thinks will be cool, I'll add the power that's appropriate. Side note, he ALMOST jammed in the black crystal of Fraz-Urb’luu, a trapped demon lord... That would've been interesting.

Cleric:
+1 Vivacious Shield of Pep: 
I never really intended there to be a limit, it was mostly copy-paste from a homebrew item I liked and slightly adjusted.

Ancient Pommel of the Warhammer of Making Peace: 
This was originally a whole hammer, but I hastily edited when my player mentioned not wanting to give up Dawn Bringer (duh) so I said it was a pommel (I had just played a ton of God of War 3), so I said it was an attachment, the details weren't very important to us. It's acting just like like your leather wraps idea, but that's just not in the name.

Rogue:
+2 Blade of the Spitting Viper (Dagger):
I will probably up the DC for this per your suggestion.

Quiver of Elemental Furiosity: 
Upgrades available, yes. This player only traded in a few magic items and the current gems in it correspond with the elements associated with those traded items.

Sorcerer:
This guy LOVES wild magic, so much so that we house-ruled cantrips to trigger a roll. Also, when in faezress (a magical mist permeating through the underdark), wild magic triggers on 19 and 20. The Chaotic Wonder is the first thing he used with his new staff. :madmax:

Obsidian Shard from the Plane of Elemental Fire (Staff): 
I think I'll make the charges bonus actions, I want them to get used! Then it won't feel like wasting a turn to maybe entangle someone, and attack someone else for a bit of crowd control.

Effervescent Candle of Whimsy: 
Yah this was sorta from the book. I made the counting part WAY more powerful (and added wild magic) to be more tempting to the player, and change the spell from GATE because I didn't want to ruin the final boss if they did that...

Thanks for the advice, I don't mind people tearing my ideas apart! Though it's been a while, this is still my first campaign DMing and none of us played any other editions before. We're all old gamers though so we're pretty reasonable about balance and house rules and adjusting things that don't seem right. It only takes a read-through of any of the books to realize the rules aren't particularly well written, and sometimes flat out contradictory in different parts of a book!

We still have a blast playing though!

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Spikes32 posted:

wotc doesnt make mistakes and your dm should tell that player to go back to vanilla beastmaster

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

kidkissinger posted:

Even if the DM thinks the worse ranger is better it's pretty bullshit to for a player to completely remake their character midway through a campaign.

Yeah, that's really bad.

If for whatever reason a GM decides that a PC's class/ability/whatever is ruining things and is no longer allowed, the minimum bar for not being a complete dick about it is "so make a character you want to play that doesn't do that, and switch to that character. No penalties. Keep your loot, stats, etc if you want. Switch magic items for ones appropriate to your new PC".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 5, 2018

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

AlphaDog posted:

Yeah, that's really bad.

If for whatever reason a GM decides that a PC's class/ability/whatever is ruining things and is no longer allowed, the minimum bar for not being a complete dick about it is "so respec to a character you want to play that doesn't do that".

Yeah I think I can get him to agree not to because it's the middle of the campaign if it comes to it. The dm is a lawyer and seems to be approaching errata and such from wizards as if it were case law handed down by judges. That said, if when it gets released there are logical blog posts arguing against the new ranger that would be even easier.

Overall, he's a good dm and has made the campaign pretty fun. He just doesn't understand that wizards isn't even close to a functional set of rules when you actually get into the nitty gritty. Such as the stupid ruling about the shield master feat and not being able to shield bash in between attacks.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

That sucks but I hope it works out. I've played with a lawyer a few times and she's the least rules lawyery player (who's also read and understood the rules), that I've ever seen.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

AlphaDog posted:

That sucks but I hope it works out. I've played with a lawyer a few times and she's the least rules lawyery player (who's also read and understood the rules), that I've ever seen.

That's probably a chilling indictment of whatever legal system she practices in.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

AlphaDog posted:

My regular home game is half tax lawyers and it’s super chill. Maybe it’d be worse with litigators.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

That's probably a chilling indictment of whatever legal system she practices in.

Why's that? She's read the books, plays the game, follows the rules as she sees them, and if the GM says "nah it works like X not Y", she goes "yeah OK" and does that instead because D&D isn't work.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

Are you looking at the treasure hoards or the individual treasure tables.

I mean even a treasure hoard total value for CR4 isn't enough to buy a breastplate, nevermind being shared between the party.

I don't think this system was thought very well!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

AlphaDog posted:

D&D isn't work.

The gently caress did you just say to me?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Lawyers as players are fine once they understand the DM is the judge.

What the judge says goes while you're in court. Afterwards you can do whatever, but while you're playing they're the law.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

frajaq posted:

I mean even a treasure hoard total value for CR4 isn't enough to buy a breastplate, nevermind being shared between the party.

I don't think this system was thought very well!

You are expected to get more then one.

Taking a look Xanathar's says

quote:

BEHIND THE DESIGN: MAGIC ITEM DISTRIBUTION

The Dungeon Master’s Guide assumes a certain amount of treasure will be found over the course of a campaign. Over twenty levels of typical play, the game expects forty-five rolls on the Treasure Hoard tables, distributed as follows:

Seven rolls on the Challenge 0–4 table
Eighteen rolls on the Challenge 5–10 table
Twelve rolls on the Challenge 11–16 table
Eight rolls on the Challenge 17+ table
Because many of the table results call for more than one magic item, those forty-five rolls will result in the characters obtaining roughly one hundred items. The optional system described here yields the same number of items, distributed properly throughout the spectrum of rarity, while enabling you to control exactly which items the characters have a chance of acquiring.

Also breastplates are expensive.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 6, 2018

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

AlphaDog posted:

Why's that? She's read the books, plays the game, follows the rules as she sees them, and if the GM says "nah it works like X not Y", she goes "yeah OK" and does that instead because D&D isn't work.

I'm implying that if you're immediately chill about a stupidly overcomplicated system like any D&D system, your legal system is probably very complex and difficult to work in.

I thought that was obvious.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
chaotic lawful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

Taking a look Xanathar's says