Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

PancakeTransmission posted:

Yes, offering loans to people that you know probably won't be able to repay is definitely the right thing to do. These desperate idiots deserve a beat down or death. Luckily, nobody gave out loans to anyone who asked without even checking their ability to repay in the 20th-21st century!

i'm not saying it's a perfect world, but it's the one we live in. making money off of idiots who keep racking up debt they know they can't pay off has been happening for centuries. the entire point loan sharks exist is because no "reputable" places touch them, so you can strongarm them into even worse interest payments, thus bumping up your own profits.

and at the end of the day, you're getting into an agreement with someone, you should drat well make sure you can pay that poo poo off, especially if they're known roughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

does this game log your playtime anywhere?

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

mikeraskol posted:

Do certain legendary animals only appear once you've hit certain story beats? I'm down near Rhodes (Ch. 3 or 4 maybe?) and my legendary animal map says there should be a wolf there. I've gone over the area the map says it should be a hundred times and I never get that "you are in a legendary animal's territory" message that pops up. Am I missing something obvious there or maybe just not finding it?

No, they can show up immediately. The wolf is nowhere near Rhodes, though - the coyote is a little to the NW om the ravine by the run down mill, and the fox is a little to the SE in some woods. Wolf is up by the near Bear where the geysers are.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Qubee posted:

i've been trying to figure out how to do this. as far as I know, you can't take two horses out of the stable at the same time, can you? I usually go hunting if I stumble across wild horses and break one in, I just ride it and get my main horse to follow me, then sell the horse for some cash when I go back to town. it usually goes up a bond level or two and that can add some decent value to reselling it.

Your temporary horse is essentially a permanent horse. I believe it will only stop being your temporary horse if you bond with a new horse.

So you can get a temporary horse to just follow you everywhere. It will stay in you camp through multiple missions. It will follow you around and respond to your whistles. The only thing I haven't tried is bringing two horses on a story mission.

Basically you can ride around in the free world having two horses with you at all times if you choose.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I have like thousands of dollars right now and nothing to spend it on so I was hoping the game would just let me buy off some of these guys' debts for them.

Like the only time I've felt "good" about collecting a debt was the stable boy you chase on horseback

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Cowboys the semi auto shotgun with the barrel upgrade and the rifling upgrade, shooting slugs is a delete button at pretty much any range someone is gonna be shooting back at you from

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Gay Horney posted:

Cowboys the semi auto shotgun with the barrel upgrade and the rifling upgrade, shooting slugs is a delete button at pretty much any range someone is gonna be shooting back at you from

This but the much more yeehaw break action covered in delightful etchings.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know if the crafted saddles have any kind of stat bonus? I want to use my cool alligator saddle and also go fast.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I loving hate hunting rabbits, they always see you coming before you even know they're there and then they rush off all over the place. You try to get them on a horse and either the stupid small arrows narrowly miss their head and thus you ruin the pelt/waste small arrows or accidentally stomp on the shits ducking and weaving around you. I hope whatever design lead that just had to have different ammo types get different pelts breaks their hand by tripping and falling off 49 degree elevation on a small hill.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

PancakeTransmission posted:

Blowing off a dude's head with shotgun: fine, normal
Pair of titties: HOLY poo poo COVER MY CHILD'S INNOCENT EYES

Caring so much about seeing a butt is weird but honestly the violence in this isn't anything I'd worry about either. It's cowboys shooting at each other, I have yet to encounter any seriously sick poo poo.

Crabtree posted:

I loving hate hunting rabbits, they always see you coming before you even know they're there and then they rush off all over the place. You try to get them on a horse and either the stupid small arrows narrowly miss their head and thus you ruin the pelt/waste small arrows or accidentally stomp on the shits ducking and weaving around you. I hope whatever design lead that just had to have different ammo types get different pelts breaks their hand by tripping and falling off 49 degree elevation on a small hill.

Get the varmint rifle, you can just one shot them without having to aim for the head and get perfects.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Caring so much about seeing a butt is weird but honestly the violence in this isn't anything I'd worry about either. It's cowboys shooting at each other, I have yet to encounter any seriously sick poo poo.

get close to a dude with a shotgun and see what happens

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Actually, thinking about it, you can change your main horse in the game by removing the saddle from your current horse and putting it on the temporary horse, so you could probably get a 2nd horse from the stable by removing a horse, then removing the saddle, then going back into the stable on foot.

I know I've left a temporary horse outside the stable while changing mains inside, so at the very least you could do a 3 horse shuffle.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Um how far in are you?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

A suggestion for people who want to craft split-tip bullets but don't want to stare at the screen for minutes on end (assuming you have a device that can do the companion app):

Save Arthur's Journal for when you're doing that, and just read the journal in the companion app when you're making them. You can just hold down A/X (pending console) and he'll craft the bullets, so just do that with one hand and use the other one to read the journal. It's a good time to do it.

Or, masturbate, I guess. Always a good time for that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I mean there's the serial killer thing you can run into plus the most detailed gib effects in a game since maybe Soldier of Fortune 2. Game is not for kids either way, imo.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

shortspecialbus posted:

A suggestion for people who want to craft split-tip bullets but don't want to stare at the screen for minutes on end (assuming you have a device that can do the companion app):

Save Arthur's Journal for when you're doing that, and just read the journal in the companion app when you're making them. You can just hold down A/X (pending console) and he'll craft the bullets, so just do that with one hand and use the other one to read the journal. It's a good time to do it.

I would but the companion app still isn't compatible with any of the Android tablets in my house and you can't zoom on the journal on the phone app. That text is tiny on a phone screen.

Dalaram posted:

Can’t wait to see some mods for this.

- ability to “tag” enemies or animals, so their pips show up on the minimap.

Animals don't show up but enemies sure do.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Crabtree posted:

Use the varmint rifle for rabbits.

Also collect your spent arrows. Occasionally I can't find them, but you can recollect almost all your arrows (except the dynamite ones I'm assuming).

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Crabtree posted:

rabbits are honestly the easiest to hunt with a varmint rifle, I spot a 3* and just one shot them on horseback, squirrels are a total loving bitch to kill, as are snakes. small game arrows are wank and I find it so hard to get flight feathers. I hunt birds so much but each one drops 1 feather, and sometimes they drop none. just let me buy fuckin game arrows from the trapper.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

CharlestonJew posted:

get close to a dude with a shotgun and see what happens

I blew off a cult lady's leg with a shotgun and she was screaming and fell off the top of the farm she was in. Her leg was gone, but her ankle length dress was fine.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I think there's a pretty big plot hole in the game (massive Chapter 6 spoilers)

Milton says that Micah is the rat, and they picked them up after the escape from Guarna. And that Molly didn't betray the gang at all. Yet the bank heist at the end of Chapter 4 was leaked to the Pinkertons. So who leaked it?

Unless this is explained in the Epilogue.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I think someone mentioned earlier in the thread that you can get a map of all the legendary animal locations in-game, where is that?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Lord Hydronium posted:

I think someone mentioned earlier in the thread that you can get a map of all the legendary animal locations in-game, where is that?

Hosea gives it to you the first time you go hunting for the legendary bear with him. You can look at it from the documents section of the satchel.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

How the gently caress are you supposed to get perfect corpses for small birds? You know, aside from them randomly flying into the side of my horse and killing themselves.

You need small game arrows to get a perfect, right? The arrows can't be bought and are unrecoverable. Gotta kill several hundred other birds so you can make arrows to kill tiny birds (and snakes, which are also impossible to hit with a bow and arrow).

I've never seen a small bird not in flight. They don't show up in cowboy vision either. When they are in flight I absolutely cannot hit them with a bow and arrow. Usually they get frightened as I ride by and shoot straight up into the sky, but the bow and arrow can't really shoot straight up. By the time you can get into a position that you can actually aim at them they are to far away to hit anyway.

I saw and identified a cardinal once. Then by the time I had gotten my bow and small game arrows out it had vanished, even with a time slow effect when swapping guns. If I have the bow ready I will never see birds.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

theblackw0lf posted:

I think there's a pretty big plot hole in the game (massive Chapter 6 spoilers)

Milton says that Micah is the rat, and they picked them up after the escape from Guarna. And that Molly didn't betray the gang at all. Yet the bank heist at the end of Chapter 4 was leaked to the Pinkertons. So who leaked it?

Unless this is explained in the Epilogue.

It probably wasn't leaked, Dutch is an idiot who planned a bank robbery when the heat was already on the gang..

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

It probably wasn't leaked, Dutch is an idiot who planned a bank robbery when the heat was already on the gang..

Yeah I took this as the reason it happened. They always know where to find you and you were being surveilled. They wander up to you while fishing to drop some threats for instance.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gay Horney posted:

The bolt action rifle with express bullets will one shot anything past medium ranges, unlike slug shotguns.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Oh good point.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

JBP posted:

Yeah I took this as the reason it happened. They always know where to find you and you were being surveilled. They wander up to you while fishing to drop some threats for instance.

Also wasn't the bank robbery pretty much immediately after another botched robbery in the city?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I can't figure out how to get a clean shot on a turtle. Every time I shoot them in the head the pelt goes to 1*

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Also wasn't the bank robbery pretty much immediately after another botched robbery in the city?

Yeah, the gang are basically unrelenting gently caress ups thanks to Dutch at this point.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Gay Horney posted:

I can't figure out how to get a clean shot on a turtle. Every time I shoot them in the head the pelt goes to 1*

What are you shooting them with? They look huge but the suggested weapon is bow with small game arrows.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Qubee posted:

also, robbing farmers for $20 will never not be amusing to me. I just like being a oval office, so maybe we both want two different things out of the game.

I get it because open-world appeal is very much the rear end in a top hat simulator part, but the debt stuff feels really incongruous. Like, the game is about Arthur Morgan, plucky outlaw who helps his friends and will kill people out of necessity but who is otherwise not a psychopath. You can instead gently caress off and tie an entire town to railroad tracks and burn their horses to death, but this is either outright ignored by the plot a la acting evil in RDR1 or hand waved away as Arthur having random psychotic breaks running contrary to his normal personality. Unless the journal/etc changes when you go full evil?

I dunno, it just feels weird and incongruous. I actually think GTAV's plot holds together a little better because they go out of their way to add in a character that is literally 'random wacky violence man' instead of just letting the player moonlight as one in between good-natured fishing trips and being too much of a gentleman to bang whores.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Oh, hey, so I finally figured it out. When you study an animal is what makes it's main stomping grounds show up on the map.

Wolfsheim posted:

I get it because open-world appeal is very much the rear end in a top hat simulator part, but the debt stuff feels really incongruous. Like, the game is about Arthur Morgan, plucky outlaw who helps his friends and will kill people out of necessity but who is otherwise not a psychopath. You can instead gently caress off and tie an entire town to railroad tracks and burn their horses to death, but this is either outright ignored by the plot a la acting evil in RDR1 or hand waved away as Arthur having random psychotic breaks running contrary to his normal personality. Unless the journal/etc changes when you go full evil?

I dunno, it just feels weird and incongruous. I actually think GTAV's plot holds together a little better because they go out of their way to add in a character that is literally 'random wacky violence man' instead of just letting the player moonlight as one in between good-natured fishing trips and being too much of a gentleman to bang whores.

It feels kind of weird to say that GTAV's plot holds together better just due to one character considering you can make any of the three go on a rampage with bazookas and such.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Friendly Fire posted:

What are you shooting them with? They look huge but the suggested weapon is bow with small game arrows.

I've used nothing but small game arrows shot into the turtle's head and I have the same issue. I assume that it's actually something else or you need to shoot them elsewhere. I haven't checked the strategy guide yet.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

JBP posted:

Yeah, the gang are basically unrelenting gently caress ups thanks to Dutch at this point.

I'm surprised Hosea went along with it then

Or was it more that he realized that there was a good chance of it going sour but he knew Dutch was set on it so trying to make the most of a bad situation?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

shortspecialbus posted:

I've used nothing but small game arrows shot into the turtle's head and I have the same issue. I assume that it's actually something else or you need to shoot them elsewhere. I haven't checked the strategy guide yet.

Is it killing them with one shot? Because if it takes more than one that usually takes a hit on the pelt quality.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Zaa Boogie posted:

Oh, hey, so I finally figured it out. When you study an animal is what makes it's main stomping grounds show up on the map.

It feels kind of weird to say that GTAV's plot holds together better just due to one character considering you can make any of the three go on a rampage with bazookas and such.

Ehh, it's more like the game accounts for acting like a psycho by adding missions and a character based around it, versus it being a thing you do when you get bored with the story. Admittedly this is a problem in a lot of Rockstar games like GTAIV, San Andreas and the first RDR (though someone floated the theory that Jack turned out bad and hes the one robbing and killing indiscriminately, which I kinda like). I guess it feels more pronounced this time because of how much work went into making RDR2 feel so authentic otherwise.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

shortspecialbus posted:

Haven’t found/hunted a turtle yet, but it’s a turtle - can you not just mosey up to it and knife it?

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

Yeah, something's a bit weird here then. I pulled the info out of the compendium you get from studying animals. Possibly they've listed the wrong weapon by mistake.

Edit:

Braincloud posted:

Haven’t found/hunted a turtle yet, but it’s a turtle - can you not just mosey up to it and knife it?

haha, yeah. That's probably the best method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You all know you can use dead eye with the bow right?

That's how you get the smaller animals.