Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Wait, the reddit post saying that the game not only doesn't have authentication but also isn't encrypted is actually TRUE?! :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
After you picked a stat to level could you still back out of it after you picked the stat or would you need to plan what stat to put in which special to know when you are getting some cards you want?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

They are totally abandoning this game as soon as they release.

They'll probably go free to play and try to micro-transaction the gently caress out of it first.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tenzarin posted:

After you picked a stat to level could you still back out of it after you picked the stat or would you need to plan what stat to put in which special to know when you are getting some cards you want?

you can back out if you don't commit to a perk (if i understand your question correctly)

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

A Triple-A game studio released a game with less security than the loving Toon Town fan run servers that are still somehow a thing. This is high art.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

DebonaireD posted:

The greatest thing of all though is seeing all the relentlessly negative posters quietly loving off when they realized this wasn't going to be the trainwreck they were hoping for.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout76/mods/24

l m a o

bethesda doesn't checksum their resource files, so people can do all sorts of stuff, like this (reveal where exactly the lock location is)

check the comments for some great reactions
So DebonaireD, I believe you were saying something about this not being the trainwreck we were hoping for? Because this is exactly the trainwreck I was expecting, even if I wasn't specifically hoping for it.:v:

Seriously though this is legitimately the biggest issue as a whole with FO:76. Do Todd and co. not realize that people have been extensively hacking the gently caress out of Bethesda games for years, and that the reason it hasn't mattered until now is because they're solo player games? Did they seriously think that people were just going to play nice, and not hack the gently caress out of FO:76 like they did with FO4/New Vegas/Skyrim, especially since the game is really, really similar to the aforementioned games?

E: Seriously if they were able to just drop in the Fallout 4 lockpick mod as-is and have it function then it seems like Bethesda basically just bolted on a multiplayer mod to Fallout 4 and shoved it out the door with a new name and zero other changes

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 6, 2018

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Tenzarin posted:

well now it looks like there's probably going to be a mod to just player.setav so lol who even cares

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Father Wendigo posted:

Wait, the reddit post saying that the game not only doesn't have authentication but also isn't encrypted is actually TRUE?! :psyboom:

why wouldn't it be true, it'd be deeply weird if bethesda changed anything in gamebryo's core functionality; for all we know the networking code is some guy's hack from loving morrowind to add multiplayer

e: otoh nobody's going to have a problem with tcl now

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
holy gently caress lmao you can disconnect people by telling the server they sent a disconnect command

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

eonwe posted:

holy gently caress lmao you can disconnect people by telling the server they sent a disconnect command
Oh my loving god they did just bolt on a multiplayer mod to Fallout 4 and shove it out the door with a new name and zero other changes.:laffo:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

eonwe posted:

*points to ninja*

"Disconnected."

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Rinkles posted:

you can back out if you don't commit to a perk (if i understand your question correctly)

Well after a look at the calc that tells you what level each card can be picked is really making me want to just restart. I leveled int to 15 right away and I grabbed alot of cards I didnt really want but there was nothing else to pick. Trying to think of the an easy way without having to plan it all out but if I can just back out a skill point then it will be pretty easy.

So for an example you want to use a card from agi,

You want to use sneak attacks, the first time you can take sneak attacks is lvl 15. So if you take agi 2-15 you only get one sneak attack card but if you wait to 15 to put points into agi then you can get sneak attacks for 3 levels to have the card maxed. You could just wait every 5 levels for card packs but then you have to hope you get the one card out of 150 cards every 5 levels.

All specials get around 20 cards that have level requirements up to lvl 40 and they also have cards with no levels that come from card packs.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 6, 2018

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Someone tell me this is an elaborate hoax by creamofplenty, he has the IGN twitter, website and posted all the reddit sources. And also sent out a statement from Bethesda.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Powershift posted:

They'll probably go free to play and try to micro-transaction the gently caress out of it first.

I'm just overwhelmed by the idea of combining an engine/netcode with as many vulnerabilities as this with free to play, since that will let hackers make new accounts whenever they want to. And it's not just going to be griefers, there will also be people hacking for real money trading purposes.

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to think that Bethesda is just best off letting this game die off quietly rather than inviting the Russian/Chinese hacker crowd to break the game over their knee and embarrass them on a colossal scale

edit: fun fact, the Morrowind multiplayer mod created by 2 dudes in their spare time does checksum checking for resource files, and Fallout 76 doesn't, lmfao

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 6, 2018

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Oh my God I just remembered that they were partnering with the WV department of tourism to use the game as a tourism booster, poor WV never gets any breaks. :suicide:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Father Wendigo posted:

Oh my God I just remembered that they were partnering with the WV department of tourism to use the game as a tourism booster, poor WV never gets any breaks. :suicide:

But what if somebody hacks WV and deletes all the heroin.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Father Wendigo posted:

Take me 192.168.1.1

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Golden Bee posted:

Take me 192.168.1.1

hello new thread name

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'm so glad they keep finding new and exciting ways to expose how immensely bad this game is.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yardbomb posted:

I'm so glad they keep finding new and exciting ways to expose how immensely bad this game is.

Lmao they ported Skyrim 16 times

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
That Reddit thread says many hacks are possible for console as well, pretty impressive stuff

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

reposting again

Saladin Rising posted:

E: Seriously if they were able to just drop in the Fallout 4 lockpick mod as-is and have it function then it seems like Bethesda basically just bolted on a multiplayer mod to Fallout 4 and shoved it out the door with a new name and zero other changes

No you see they actually did a ton of work and are actually the best coders in the industry. Furthermore

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

No you see they actually did a ton of work and are actually the best coders in the industry. Furthermore

I was told that lazy/bad coding was good coding tho.

But there was no coding done at all!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tenzarin posted:

Well after a look at the calc that tells you what level each card can be picked is really making me want to just restart. I leveled int to 15 right away and I grabbed alot of cards I didnt really want but there was nothing else to pick. Trying to think of the an easy way without having to plan it all out but if I can just back out a skill point then it will be pretty easy.

So for an example you want to use a card from agi,

You want to use sneak attacks, the first time you can take sneak attacks is lvl 15. So if you take agi 2-15 you only get one sneak attack card but if you wait to 15 to put points into agi then you can get sneak attacks for 3 levels to have the card maxed. You could just wait every 5 levels for card packs but then you have to hope you get the one card out of 150 cards every 5 levels.

All specials get around 20 cards that have level requirements up to lvl 40 and they also have cards with no levels that come from card packs.

not sure if you can do that since i think you need to pick a perk per level up

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Golden Bee posted:

Take me 192.168.1.1

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Father Wendigo posted:

Maybe that was misdirection, and this is actually an anti-opiod PSA. Todd Howard is about to announce that everyone at Bethesda has been shooting heroin for the duration of Fallout 76's production, explaining why it's so goddamn bad.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

reposting again

lol this is wild

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Rinkles posted:

not sure if you can do that since i think you need to pick a perk per level up

For the example, you could like lvl another special up like str before level 15 so you could then put points into agi and have access to pick the card you want.

So basically you have 50 levels where you can pick what ever card you want but you have to be high enough level to pick the card. If you level one stat first 2-15 but all the cards of that stat you want to use you can't pick until your level 30+, you are kinda wasting your free card choices. I dunno how grindy the game will be after you get 50 but if your level 50 and your grinding 5 levels out just to get a card pack for a chance of a card you want is going to be really annoying.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 6, 2018

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

So basically you have 50 levels where you can pick what ever card you want but you have to be high enough level to pick the card. If you level one stat first 2-15 but all the cards of that stat you want to use you can't pick until your level 30+, you are kinda wasting your free card choices. I dunno how grindy the game will be after you get 50 but if your level 50 and your grinding 5 levels out just to get a card pack for a chance of a card you want is going to be really annoying.
This sounds like a job for microtransactions!

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

For the example, you could like lvl another special up like str before level 15 so you could then put points into agi and have access to pick the card you want.

Well if it makes you feel any better, you can probably just hack the game to give you the card you want somehow

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

eonwe posted:

Perfection

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Dennis McClaren posted:

I'm having trouble reading all the widely varying rewiews from "76 fkn rocks" down to "76 is a steaming turd poo poo game". It seems like there are far more bad reactions and reviews on 76 floating around Youtube, then there are good ones.
I read them with a grain of salt, but I have a better time trusting goons. Is it too early still to know if the game is looking really good, like it will be a hit? Or is it actually kind of under-whelming and not that great where it stands today?

Mehhh....I've played like 20-ish hours and think it's pretty fun and have PERSONALLY experienced very few bugs. It's still really hard to say what's going to happen when the game hits the wild, though. If I was to evaluate it as a single-player experience, I've enjoyed it well enough. I've found my interactions with other players to be annoying because they don't shut the gently caress up ever and OH MY GOD CAN I BE YOUR FRIEND, but I haven't actively tried co-op on purpose. I just don't have a reason to, yet. There are little annoying things that you wouldn't even care about in a game you can mod like any other Fallout game, but that you can't quite be sure whether or not you will really be able to fix without penalty in an online game. There are other things that (for other developers) you would know right away are strictly beta issues that will be fixed, but you can't really trust Bethesda's track record in that department.

The bottom line is this: certain people love making GBS threads on Fallout games and/or Bethesda for reasons both justified and not justified. Those people will tell you that Fallout 76 is the worst game in the world, ever, and that it is worth zero dollars, and in fact you deserve to be punched in the balls by a kangaroo if you like the game at all, and that Bethesda has yet again shat a steaming turd onto the anxiously lapping tongues of their deluded fanbase. Others will say the game is pretty fun - I am one of those people.

It's $60; you either have it to spend or you don't. You'll get your money's worth out of it, though. I get the feeling that it will get to be a better game about a month into the game and I'd hold off until then if you're REALLY concerned about spending $60 on a new AAA video game.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

It's $60; you either have it to spend or you don't. You'll get your money's worth out of it, though. I get the feeling that it will get to be a better game about a month into the game and I'd hold off until then if you're REALLY concerned about spending $60 on a new AAA video game.

you gain nothing by buying at launch other than paying to test the game for future purchasers

if the recent revelations are any indication it's going to be a rocky rear end launch

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

you gain nothing by buying at launch other than paying to test the game for future purchasers

if the recent revelations are any indication it's going to be a rocky rear end launch

I'm not disagreeing with your point; I just don't place a very high personal time-value of money investment meter on $60 when that's less than one night out drinking.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

I've found my interactions with other players to be annoying

I have a friend that kinda blitzes through games so then entire time we played the beta was like, me "hey I'm full I gotta set up a camp to unload", Friend going "what you picking up? I'm over here now and I killed all the things", and then I showed up after all the aluminum and duct tape had been claimed.

I kinda like it more as a single player thing haha.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

I'm not disagreeing with your point; I just don't place a very high personal time-value of money investment meter on $60 when that's less than one night out drinking.

:eyepop: man what are you drinking

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Or you can preorder from Amazon for a beta code then cancel when you find out it's going to have hackers day one.

Frog Act posted:

I went to the bar with a buddy earlier. For two beers each + a plate of Sweet Potato fries it was $35. $6/beer, $5 for the fries, plus tip.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Akion posted:

I went to the bar with a buddy earlier. For two beers each + a plate of Sweet Potato fries it was $35. $6/beer, $5 for the fries, plus tip.

Haha, you sound like some idiot prole who places personal value on their time and money.

Idiot.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Akion posted:

Or you can preorder from Amazon for a beta code then cancel when you find out it's going to have hackers day one.

That's why pacifist is so great. I sure hope people arn't planning to use this as a rust pvp alternative.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Frog Act posted:

lawyer life is hard and calls for hard liquor.