Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

J.A.B.C. posted:

No fooling, Red9 becomes the best pistol once fully upgraded. Pin point accurate, strong as the base sniper, able to clear out hordes and kneecap fools with ease.

Then again, I liked how RE4 balanced their weapons so you could have any weapon be good.

i always liked the starter handgun whose exclusive just makes it so every other hit is a fatal headshot, but i’m also biased because in the half dozen times i’ve played re4 through i evolved towards being a complete cheapskate to dump more money towards the broken butterfly/elephant killer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Conversely one of my favorite elements in Obra Dinn was when you locked in correct deductions and they replaced your written notes with printed pages, so satisfying :cabot:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Conversely one of my favorite elements in Obra Dinn was when you locked in correct deductions and they replaced your written notes with printed pages, so satisfying :cabot:

Well done.

Three more fates correct.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Black August posted:

Realtalk: FF8 would have been dogfuck amazing if Time Kompression was a thing happening during the entire game, watching the timeline slowly meld and collapse in subtle then increasingly awful ways, lending the whole deal a fever dream feel of questioning what is linear 'true' time, and what is bleeding through from alternates and pasts and futures before the full collapse comes at the end

FF8 is a game that had so many amazing possibilities and they kinda squandered most of them

it's still fun as hell to break tho

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The sound effects and music for it really give a real air of satisfaction too.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

We should've all gotten jobs with insurance companies

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Are there any games besides ff8 that try to deal with the matter of time kompression or distortion or whatever?

I feel like you could make a decent game centered around someone who has trouble differentiating when events in time happened

Or maybe not. I'm biased as hell because idk what the gently caress is wrong with me anymore but things that happened 2 days ago feel like they could've happened at the same time as things from 2 weeks ago and it's hard to sort everything out.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah same but that’s just the massive societal stress and murderous tedium of a working life that accomplishes nothing but a numb perpetuation. A week ago may as well be a year ago, it’s all sliding into a hot liquid chaos of lost structure and constant traumatic events erasing stable time perception.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In Obra Dinn, sometimes I’d be like “uhh well does this count as being torn apart or being exploded”, or whatever, but I think the game is smart enough to be lenient about it

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://i.imgur.com/HIoPnIO.mp4

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

b_d posted:

yeah I just tried it a few times before I stopped since I played through the whole main game the same day. I think I need to stock up on sandwiches.

Do you have the cake?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

FirstAidKite posted:

Are there any games besides ff8 that try to deal with the matter of time kompression or distortion or whatever?

I feel like you could make a decent game centered around someone who has trouble differentiating when events in time happened

Or maybe not. I'm biased as hell because idk what the gently caress is wrong with me anymore but things that happened 2 days ago feel like they could've happened at the same time as things from 2 weeks ago and it's hard to sort everything out.

I'm playing All Walls Must Fall right now and it seems to play with that idea. The tutorial is a hit on someone "who had it coming". You're told to just trust it. Next, you have to interrogate that same person, obviously from before you killed them, over the whereabouts of an informant. And next, you look around a bar for what happened to them, where you find they were murdered by the first guy, at which point the MC goes "I guess I have to go after him now." and you're reminded you already did it in the first place.

I've also been getting a lot of "Hey, you were here the other day and told me [very conflicting information]" so I think things are going to go off the deep end at some point.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jay Rust posted:

In Obra Dinn, sometimes I’d be like “uhh well does this count as being torn apart or being exploded”, or whatever, but I think the game is smart enough to be lenient about it
It actually is, it can be flexible with a good amount of deaths.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Big fan of that slime.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Look the policy they have covers impalement, but are you really sure it's that and not, say, light stabbing which is not covered by their policy?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

scurvy is a pre-existing condition

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1059600515821117441

This game is going to be amazing.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

4000 hours

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So less than halfway to mastery?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

J.A.B.C. posted:

No fooling, Red9 becomes the best pistol once fully upgraded. Pin point accurate, strong as the base sniper, able to clear out hordes and kneecap fools with ease.

Then again, I liked how RE4 balanced their weapons so you could have any weapon be good.

The only bad gun in RE4 is the blacktail because its reload is boring.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Electric Phantasm posted:

Do you have the cake?

yeah, though I repaired it so it’s not as good iirc. doesn’t matter too much, i think it’s 80 instead of 130? and I don’t think anyone has that much hp. obv healing people from negative is still good but I shouldn’t be dying that heavily ideally

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bethesda just made Ultima Online in 2018.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Pigbuster posted:

The only bad gun in RE4 is the blacktail because its reload is boring.

punisher is worse than the blacktail but it’s got the distinction of piercing shots compared to the blacktail’s most average everything factor so jury’s out

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

b_d posted:

yeah, though I repaired it so it’s not as good iirc. doesn’t matter too much, i think it’s 80 instead of 130? and I don’t think anyone has that much hp. obv healing people from negative is still good but I shouldn’t be dying that heavily ideally

Well if nothing else you got the option to kick his rear end so you don't have to worry about TP management.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
It’s still messed up that RE4 is still one of the top dogs when it comes to reload animations. It’s been over a decade, why didn’t any of the gun-obsessed games released since then focus on the best part about gun’s

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Put Tales of Graces F on Steam so I can replay it already god drat

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Pigbuster posted:

It’s still messed up that RE4 is still one of the top dogs when it comes to reload animations. It’s been over a decade, why didn’t any of the gun-obsessed games released since then focus on the best part about gun’s

The weird part is that you can tell that RE5 and RE6 reuse some of those animations but they just don’t look as good for some reason

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

port drill dozer to the switch, now that there's another nintendo portable with rumble

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
waggle left joycon for left drill and right joycon for right drill

they even have the right colors

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
GOTY 2017 PUBG continuing to become even more epic:

https://twitter.com/PUBG/status/1059616915868381184

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Just spent a couple hours getting an emulator setup and yes, gitaroo man still holds up.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

mojo king bee on master is the best song in the game don't @ me

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

It's 3rd behind the trio and Gregorio actually.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

quote:

"Many of the claims in the thread are either inaccurate or based on incorrect assumptions. The community has however called to attention several issues that our teams are already actively tracking and planning to roll out fixes for. Our goal is always to deliver a great experience for all our players. Cheating or hacking will not be tolerated. We know our fan base is passionate about modding and customizing their experience in our worlds and it's something we intend to support down the road."

Additional reports claim that the game is ugly as hell

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ok it's 2nd, i'll cop i forgot about Gregorio, but while trio's the best song the match is impossible horseshit that broke more than one dualshock stick so i'm standing on that one

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

That was the one thing I had forgotten, how insanely small the input window is. Tutorial kicked my rear end first time round. I'm using an xbone controller, so it's a better experience all around though. Up to king bee, but he kicked my rear end in my prime so I'm gonna call it a night there.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You know, I was excited for Fallout 76 for the one day before they actually said anything about it.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

This game is going to be amazing.

If 76 becomes a cyberpunk style hacker vs hacker battleground instead of whatever dreary mess it was supposed to be...that would be incredibly cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I used to hate Ben-K but after my first time smoking weed I realized trip-hop going to space reggae is the best combination.

• Locked thread