Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
good, ikea's floor planning is awful and gently caress whoever came up with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Obviously fake because there is nothing pointing to the exit in IKEA because it is a labyrinth with no exit

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

good, ikea's floor planning is awful and gently caress whoever came up with it

[Swedish Accent] If the customer feels alienated, lost, and afraid, they are more likely to purchase the particle board sofa

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Nenonen posted:

Obviously fake because there is nothing pointing to the exit in IKEA because it is a labyrinth with no exit
I just wish they caught the guy before he hit every Ikea in the world.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Judging from the rest of the site named on the image :staredog: that story may not be true

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
It doesn't shock me any more to see people driving with a wheel missing, there's so many videos about it. If they had to go a kilometre to a garage or something it's completely stupid but most people don't give a poo poo about their actions' impact on others or themselves. But it still shocks me how loving fast they go, like there's no concern at all about how different the driving characteristics of the car would be.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Wonder what would happen if they drove over a cat's eye with that wheel

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

starkebn posted:

It doesn't shock me any more to see people driving with a wheel missing, there's so many videos about it. If they had to go a kilometre to a garage or something it's completely stupid but most people don't give a poo poo about their actions' impact on others or themselves. But it still shocks me how loving fast they go, like there's no concern at all about how different the driving characteristics of the car would be.

To me it suggests that these people have no concept of how a car should, or does, feel or act when driving.

Like as long as it is going in the right direction at the right speed, they genuinely cannot have any awareness of any other mechanical variables. They are not ignoring an engine screaming at the redline, they simply cannot tell that anything is different from the norm.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Spatial posted:

Wonder what would happen if they drove over a cat's eye with that wheel

im going to assume this is slang for something :(

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Cat's eye is the name of those middle-of-the-road reflectors

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Former DILF posted:

Cat's eyes are raised bumps in the road between lanes. They're called that because they contain glass spheres with mirrored backs, that reflect headlights and make the lane divisions very easy to see at night.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

You don't see them a lot in places that get snow since they'd just get popped off the road by the plows. I used to see a lot of inset, plow-proof ones but less so these days i guess they were too expensive.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Former DILF posted:

dont worry, you werent the only person who didnt know this name for them

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

RoastBeef posted:

More Ship OSHA: This article is the story of the El Faro, a ship that didn't quite make it through a hurricane based on the recovered bridge voice recordings.

Pro loving click. These people just chatting and working while death slowly creeps up on them.

Am I right that this is the same author that did that article about the sinking of MV Estonia (would link but phoneposting)?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

quite stretched out posted:

dont worry, you werent the only person who didnt know this name for them

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Botts' dots are really where it's at.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

His Divine Shadow posted:

Got some potential for OSHA coming up soon, a truck will be delivering a deckel fp2 milling machine, I am somewhat worried the guy will screw up when unloading it, it will be delivered via truck with a liftgate. Here's hoping I won't be crushed, or worse, the machine will be damaged.

Deckels aren't cheap milling machine. pls post pics either way.

Metrilenkki
Aug 1, 2007

Oldskool av for lowtaxes medical fund gobbless u -fellow roamingdad

You can't cut that, it's loadbearing wrap!!

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

The best part of this is that the MOL Excellence's sister ship, the MOL Comfort actually cracked in half in the Indian Ocean, the back end sank, and the front end was being towed toward the Arabian Gulf. The front then caught fire and sank.

It was literally this skit in it's entirety:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m5qxZm_JqM

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The ship the skit is about is literally the oil taker Kirki.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Jabor posted:

Cat's eyes are raised bumps in the road between lanes. They're called that because they contain glass spheres with mirrored backs, that reflect headlights and make the lane divisions very easy to see at night.

Specifically, they reflect any light back to its source, no matter the angle of incidence (unlike a flat mirror, which only reflects the light back to the source if the light is shined perpendicular to the mirror's surface). These types of reflectors are used all over the place in road signs, markings, etc. since it makes them look much, much brighter in your headlights, than if they just scattered the light all over the place. They are called cat's eyes because cat's eyes reflect this way as well. For cats, this allows the light to pass through the optic nerves twice, improving their night vision :science:.

Similar reflectors are placed on the moon, so that we can measure the distance to the moon using lasers, to a precision of a few mm. This is actually pretty insane when you think about it. We can measure the distance to the moon so accurately that at most, we are off by a couple of quarters stacked on top of each other.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

OrthoTrot posted:

Drinking on the job.

Thanks for keeping on writing these, they're very interesting! Things with a lot of mass like trucks and trains command a lot of respect from/scare the poo poo out of me so it's really surprising how many times treating it casually and being complacent seems to be a factor in accidents.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That’s also why cats tend to look like laser monsters when you photograph them with a flash.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

RandomPauI posted:

The ship the skit is about is literally the oil taker Kirki.

I mean the front falling off ships and them catching fire will never not be great though.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Dannywilson posted:

I mean the front falling off ships and them catching fire will never not be great though.

Yeah. You'd think they'd be built so the fronts don't fall off anymore.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

ShadeofBlue posted:

Similar reflectors are placed on the moon, so that we can measure the distance to the moon using lasers, to a precision of a few mm. This is actually pretty insane when you think about it. We can measure the distance to the moon so accurately that at most, we are off by a couple of quarters stacked on top of each other.

:psyduck: are they worried it's going somewhere?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

tactlessbastard posted:

It is though

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

tactlessbastard posted:

As a matter of fact...

wiki posted:

The Moon is spiraling away from Earth at a rate of 3.8 cm per year.[11] This rate has been described as anomalously high.[15]

Tidal forces do weird poo poo with orbital dynamics; the tl;dr is that the earth is gradually being slowed down as it spins underneath the tidal bulge of the ocean, and because momentum is conserved, this makes the moon revolve faster around their common centerpoint. Faster objects orbit farther away, so as it gains that momentum it moves out.

Turns out there's a lot of weird poo poo you can find when you precisely measure things you assumed were unchanging!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Moon is a goddamn thief that is stealing our momentum and making us rotate slower.

Fender Anarchist posted:

Turns out there's a lot of weird poo poo you can find when you precisely measure things you assumed were unchanging!

The definition of the second is based on nineteenth century observations of the Earth’s rate of rotation which are :wrong: today.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Isn't the modern definition of a second something to do with a cesium atom now?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

E: ^Yup, the culmination of a series of changes as we pegged it to ever more precise things that we later realized were changing. Electrons in the ground state of cesium-133 oscillate the same no matter where or when you are in the universe, so it's an unchanging standard. As far as we know.

the moon's an arrant thief/
And her great height she snatches from the earth

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 6, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Crazycryodude posted:

Isn't the modern definition of a second something to do with a cesium atom now?

Yes. Specifically, it does something that emits radiation at a very specific frequency, and the second is 9 192 631 770 times that amount.

Why 9 192 631 770? Because that was as close as possible to the old definition of the second.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/TXvIwJ7.mp4

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

I assume that was freshly-poured cement?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Grundulum posted:

I assume that was freshly-poured cement?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBUfvkV-Ags

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Pershing posted:

Pro loving click. These people just chatting and working while death slowly creeps up on them.

Am I right that this is the same author that did that article about the sinking of MV Estonia (would link but phoneposting)?
Yep.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2004/05/a-sea-story/302940/

And jesus christ the capitan of El Faro slept a lot as they sailed into their doom. I guess he was a true believer of the nothingburger.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Pershing posted:

William Langewiesche is by far my favorite longform journalist particularly because his aviation disaster reports are unrivaled. It's probably because he's quite a gifted writer who happened to have been a commercial pilot too

Check out these articles:
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/business/2014/10/air-france-flight-447-crash - AF447
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2001/11/the-crash-of-egyptair-990/302332/ - MS990
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2003/11/columbias-last-flight/304204/ - Space Shuttle Columbia

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
That piece on the El Faro didn’t mention this bit of the transcript:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

William Langewiesche is by far my favorite longform journalist particularly because his aviation disaster reports are unrivaled. It's probably because he's quite a gifted writer who happened to have been a commercial pilot too

Check out these articles:
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/business/2014/10/air-france-flight-447-crash - AF447
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2001/11/the-crash-of-egyptair-990/302332/ - MS990
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2003/11/columbias-last-flight/304204/ - Space Shuttle Columbia

Only got to read AF447 so far, but if the other articles are like this every single one of them is pro-loving-click.