Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Nevvy Z posted:

So you are telling me they have a bunch of nuclear material and need to desalinate large quantities of water. :thunk:

It's so sad that this is gonna end the way it is.

I feel really unclear what the goon approved apocolypse fanfiction even is on this one. Pakistan is having a water crisis that is going to get way worse but like, is the idea they are going to nuke then occupy india? Are they going to get real poor then india is going to nuke them? Is the idea just they are both savage animal countries so if things go vaguely wrong they will just mash their face into the nuke buttons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Both are countries that hate each other's guts, that have gone to war against each other in the recent past, that have existing border disputes, that constantly blame each other for instigating terrorist attacks on their respective soils, and as the Indus dries up Pakistan looks to its neighbor who says "tough luck" while siphoning the water they need to sustain their own agriculture.

But I mean, I guess they could also find a compromise.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Seriously, you could do like any research on the relations between India and Pakistan at all before assuming that everyone who knows anything about it is racist.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel really unclear what the goon approved apocolypse fanfiction even is on this one. Pakistan is having a water crisis that is going to get way worse but like, is the idea they are going to nuke then occupy india? Are they going to get real poor then india is going to nuke them? Is the idea just they are both savage animal countries so if things go vaguely wrong they will just mash their face into the nuke buttons?

I think Nevvy Z is suggesting they crank out some big nuclear power and desalinate a poo poo-tonne of water

:shrug:

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I would assume that agriculture will fail massively in some climate related fashion and in the ensuing chaos a civil war or ultra-nationalist government (why not both?) will gently caress something up hugely.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Also people talking about the Indians and Pakistani's having a nuclear war are forgetting the true WMD wildcard The Russian and USA bioweapons programs

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 6, 2018

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
edit: not today stupid

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Jack2142 posted:

Also people talking about the Indians and Pakistani's having a nuclear war are forgetting the true WMD wildcard The Russian and USA bioweapons programs

Bah gawd, is that Johnson and Johnson's music!?

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Conspiratiorist posted:

Both are countries that hate each other's guts, that have gone to war against each other in the recent past, that have existing border disputes, that constantly blame each other for instigating terrorist attacks on their respective soils, and as the Indus dries up Pakistan looks to its neighbor who says "tough luck" while siphoning the water they need to sustain their own agriculture.

But I mean, I guess they could also find a compromise.

If they do find a compromise, I'll have high hopes of us figuring out how to have a high tech civilization through climate change.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Should also be noted that the Pakistani nuclear arms program has an emphasis on distributed and mobile second-strike capability; they convoy these things around the country, making them hard to track, and in groups that expect to be cut off from central authority if poo poo goes down.

So in the alternative where Pakistan goes belly up without engaging in a desperate war for survival against their sworn enemy, that controls the resources they need, their nukes instead end up in the hands of warlords and the black market.

It's no exaggeration to say that the Pakistan v India v China situation is the biggest powderkeg in the world.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

EdithUpwards posted:

Bah gawd, is that Johnson and Johnson's music!?

:yarr:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Conspiratiorist posted:

Should also be noted that the Pakistani nuclear arms program has an emphasis on distributed and mobile second-strike capability; they convoy these things around the country, making them hard to track, and in groups that expect to be cut off from central authority if poo poo goes down.

So in the alternative where Pakistan goes belly up without engaging in a desperate war for survival against their sworn enemy, that controls the resources they need, their nukes instead end up in the hands of warlords and the black market.

It's no exaggeration to say that the Pakistan v India v China situation is the biggest powderkeg in the world.

The Himalaya water all 3 of those nations. The glaciers that feed those rivers ain't gonna be around in 80 years.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

How are u posted:

The Himalaya water all 3 of those nations. The glaciers that feed those rivers ain't gonna be around in 80 years.

try getting super tight with regards to usage in 20-30 years. Thus the concern.

http://www.grida.no/resources/6674

The Dipshit fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 6, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Yeah the problems don't come when you run out of water, it happens much sooner, when you start getting less water than you need.

And the colossal problem with the Indus Water Treaty is that it sets India's claim by fixed volume rather than % of flow, so naturally they've been building up reservoirs to catch the excess summer melt. They know.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
None of these countries are dumb or unaware of the situation that they're in. The problems are going to come before water supplies diminish because it'll be too late once people are actually suffering.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yeah the problems don't come when you run out of water, it happens much sooner, when you start getting less water than you need.
funny if you say that about oil people think you're nuts

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
i am going to fit every single last one of you inside my rear end in a top hat and crush you into diamonds with my brawny sphincter, which can cling to a turd for months if not years and which i use to prune rosebushes around the garden. even an introduced rosebush is vital habitat for finches and lizards; they must not be killed, even growing feral. nevertheless you're all pathetic baby men kicking and screaming and pissing on your own selves. what are any of you even getting out of this thread? what joy could this possibly bring to you? is it a sex thing? if it's a sex thing i don't understand it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
loving idiots i have given you your mission and it's to plant dense water-loving swamp trees in whatever lovely abandoned half-flooded lowland development is closest to you. that's what you can personally do to have the most positive impact on your region in twenty years. not one of you has done it, instead you all sit around on your computers in your climate-controlled bedrooms co-writing elaborate suicide pacts and tugging on your dicks until they're whittled down and breaking into pieces like the polar ice shelf

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
morons, solipsists, woebegone melodramatic trash

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'll see you all drowned

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

incredible flesh posted:

i'll see you all drowned

not if i see you first!

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The Dipshit posted:

try getting super tight with regards to usage in 20-30 years. Thus the concern.

http://www.grida.no/resources/6674

Its okay in 20-30 years we will have fusion powered desalination plants right?... right? :eng99:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

incredible flesh posted:

i am going to fit every single last one of you inside my rear end in a top hat and crush you into diamonds with my brawny sphincter, which can cling to a turd for months if not years and which i use to prune rosebushes around the garden. even an introduced rosebush is vital habitat for finches and lizards; they must not be killed, even growing feral. nevertheless you're all pathetic baby men kicking and screaming and pissing on your own selves. what are any of you even getting out of this thread? what joy could this possibly bring to you? is it a sex thing? if it's a sex thing i don't understand it

I mean rose bushes aren’t BAD, but it’s really a lot more useful for wildlife if you plant natives (I assume you’re still in Australia?). While yes, they can be decent nesting spots they and other exotics host very few insect predators, which are vital to the growth of young nestlings. It’s obvious in telemetry studies, birds actively avoid areas dominated by exotic trees and cluster around natives.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

God drat kid, pass some of that around, source your quotes,

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Jack2142 posted:

Its okay in 20-30 years we will have fusion powered desalination plants right?... right? :eng99:

Happy thoughts, desalination will probably be much, much less energy intensive than it is currently. People are doing cute things with graphene oxide as a filter material and that stuff is cheap as dirt.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Seattle TImes declares Washington ballot question I-1631 dead:

quote:

Washington state voters reject carbon-fee initiative
Originally published November 6, 2018 at 8:34 pm Updated November 6, 2018 at 9:10 pm

Voters in Tuesday returns rejected I-1631, the proposed carbon fee initiative, which would have raised more than $1 billion annually by 2023, with spending decisions to be made by a governor-appointed board as well as the state's utilities.

Maybe a little premature given all the precints haven't reported, but looking at the state county results it's hard to disagree with the call:

This initiative had flaws, but was the product of >2 years of negotiation (+1 earlier failed ballot question). It's probably too much to expect people to willingly vote for a non-required tax increase.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Nocturtle posted:

Seattle TImes declares Washington ballot question I-1631 dead:

Maybe a little premature given all the precints haven't reported, but looking at the state county results it's hard to disagree with the call:

This initiative had flaws, but was the product of >2 years of negotiation (+1 earlier failed ballot question). It's probably too much to expect people to willingly vote for a non-required tax increase.

This just cements the fact that climate change activists are responsible for not passing a carbon tax bill. They had one that would pass but snubbed it because their pride was more important and their attempt to make their own was so terrible they couldnt get enough of their own to support it.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

nessin posted:

This just cements the fact that climate change activists are responsible for not passing a carbon tax bill. They had one that would pass but snubbed it because their pride was more important and their attempt to make their own was so terrible they couldnt get enough of their own to support it.

The electorate itself must share some of the blame. Not to mention the semi-sentient pile of capital that spent ~$30 million in opposition to the measure. Personally I'd prefer a simple revenue-neutral carbon tax compared to what initiative 1631 proposed. However as you mentioned ballot question 732 was rejected in 2016 and it's not clear that the outcome would have been any different had activists unified and supported it. It's understandable to want to blame the activists for not squaring this circle, but the public just doesn't seem to support the measure.

Additionally what is the process to define a better policy? Initiative 1631 was defined in a transparent manner, with extensive consultation of the public and major stakeholders. It wasn't perfect, but it was OK and about as good as you could reasonably get via a democratic process. A technocratic solution where the public is simply presented with the objectively best carbon pricing policy would probably be even harder to pass. Maybe this isn't a policy that should be pursued at all on the state level, but passing a carbon fee federally doesn't look promising right now.

In the bigger picture it's obvious why environmentalists want to price carbon ASAP, but carbon taxes are only politically sustainable when large proportion of the public is already on board. In America for the foreseeable future it's likely more productive to focus on efforts to shutter the heaviest emitters and boost non-fossil fuel generators while the public catches up to the scientific consensus.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 7, 2018

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

The Dipshit posted:

Happy thoughts, desalination will probably be much, much less energy intensive than it is currently. People are doing cute things with graphene oxide as a filter material and that stuff is cheap as dirt.

Dean Kamen's design recovers much of the energy of distillation. There's also "solar stills", cutting out the middleman by directly using solar to distill water.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Boy you guys are really alarmist about this stuff. This thread is making it seem like we’ll be living in a mad max hell hole by the time we hit our 60’s, which based on everything I’ve read about the effects doesn’t seem to be the case?

The effects will be bad, of course, but they don’t seem like they’ll be “enjoy your last days before the apocalypse” bad

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

My Linux Rig posted:

Boy you guys are really alarmist about this stuff. This thread is making it seem like we’ll be living in a mad max hell hole by the time we hit our 60’s, which based on everything I’ve read about the effects doesn’t seem to be the case?

The effects will be bad, of course, but they don’t seem like they’ll be “enjoy your last days before the apocalypse” bad

Some of us care about the global poor and worst affected even though we get to live in America, which might be mostly ok.

it won't

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

My Linux Rig posted:

Syria is already a Mad Max hellhole prompted (arguably, granted) by Climate Change. Your personal experience will depend strongly on your region and your own socioeconomic resilience.

But even if you're solidly third quintile in a non-failed state, fact is conditions you'll be looking at in 30 years will be very different from what they're now. Not just a matter of "oh yeah, the economy is in the dumps, unemployment is high and wages low, I can't afford my hobbies" like people remember from 2008, but more along the lines of "logistics and infrastructure are breaking down left and right, the country is barely holding itself together" ala the USSR in the 80s.

Don't think Mad Max, think Interstellar.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

My Linux Rig posted:

This thread can be hyperbolic from time to time, but that's mostly because it's just now penetrating people's consciousness that things are going to probably be noticeably worse for you (yes, you, the wealthy Westerner) within your lifetime. We're going to see resource scarcities and internal and external climate migrations and political upheavals and none of it will clearly end the world or anything but it's also probably not going to be the future that most people were sold a decade or two ago.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Squalid posted:

I mean rose bushes aren’t BAD, but it’s really a lot more useful for wildlife if you plant natives (I assume you’re still in Australia?). While yes, they can be decent nesting spots they and other exotics host very few insect predators, which are vital to the growth of young nestlings. It’s obvious in telemetry studies, birds actively avoid areas dominated by exotic trees and cluster around natives.
so you plant natives around the rosebushes. under no circumstances must you ever uproot a rosebush, or poison a rosebush, or by your actions cause a rosebush to die, or you yourself will die, terribly. the one most important thing you can do for the fauna near you is plant a thorny native thicket, and if part of that thicket is a rosebush then that's okay, the wrens won't mind. this also goes for blackberry and other thorny, sprawling weeds of the field

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The rose bushes in my front garden have been basically unkillable bastards

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

starkebn posted:

The rose bushes in my front garden have been basically unkillable bastards
exactly

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

What if the local wild rose is actively harmful for climate change?

I'm Albertan, and the Wild Rose party were a regressively hard right, oil-fellating party that cannabalized the already very right-wing party they were an offshoot of.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

berenzen posted:

What if the local wild rose is actively harmful for climate change?

I'm Albertan, and the Wild Rose party were a regressively hard right, oil-fellating party that cannabalized the already very right-wing party they were an offshoot of.
you can't fellate oil because it's a liquid

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Don't think Mad Max, think Interstellar.

Interstellar is essentially the best case scenario I envision for mankind and that movie was like a horrific nightmare for me. Whenever I whine about not wanting to dig around in the dirt, that is what I see. The other things like "we don't need engineers, we need food", moon landing conspiracy bullshit being made official to discourage science and people dying because we don't have MRIs made me think "if this is what the future brings, then I hope humanity becomes extinct, since it would be preferable to this barbarism".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Paradoxish posted:

This thread can be hyperbolic from time to time, but that's mostly because it's just now penetrating people's consciousness that things are going to probably be noticeably worse for you (yes, you, the wealthy Westerner) within your lifetime. We're going to see resource scarcities and internal and external climate migrations and political upheavals and none of it will clearly end the world or anything but it's also probably not going to be the future that most people were sold a decade or two ago.

I think a lot of it is people not wanting to let go of the future they were promised for decades but in the opposite direction where people absolutely will not engage with the effects of climate change except in mapping it 1:1 on cold war apocalypse fiction. Nuclear war makes a cool and instant cathartic end, and people don't like to engage in that, so need to make up additional elements to mash it into that model. Where the effects of climate change are way sadder but slower and more depressing instead of ever being one exciting thing that happens. It's the first half hour of mad max 1 but people want it to be the first half hour of mad max 2