Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

BrigadierSensible posted:

If I remember rightly, John Inman said somewhere in an old interview that Mr Humphries was not gay. He was just an effeminate, highly swishy, well dressed young single man who lived with and had an especially close relationship with his mother, *wink wink*

I seem to remember this being a very old interview, so more than likely the reason he denied Mr. Humphries's gayness was because Are You Being Served was a popular show, and as such audiences were prepared to laugh at gay stereotypes, "Haha look at him, he looks and acts like a poof, that's funny", but wouldn't accept an actual queer character, "Eww disgusting, that character is a poof, that's unacceptable."

Whilst we are on 70s/80s British TV and implied homosexuality: Am I the only one who thought that Kenny Everett was gay? I know his TV show had lots of beautiful women in skimpy clothes, (and young me thanked him for it), but he always seemed to me to be camper than a row of tents. Although given he was a 'weirdo' on UK TV in the 70s/80s, he is actually more likely to be a kiddie diddler than a homosexual.

We was gay. He was married to woman, but they split and he came out after.

The British tradition of cross dressing and camp is a bit of an odd one. The last show to do it was Little Britain I think. Limmy does the cross dressing thing, but delivers the character as about as gruff and masculine as possible. Little Britain is camp as you like, but I think it works because Lucas and Walliams are naturally camp anyway. You couldn't have just anyone play those characters.

Here's one that's just come to me - Chris Tucker in Fifth Element. The costume designers apparently had dresses designed for him, but he refused to wear them, hence the body suits. There's also a few scenes that ham fistedly make the point that he's a womaniser. Was that Chris Tucker's doing as well? - "Yes I'll play this character, but I want it to be perfectly clear that I'm NOT GAY".

EvilGenius has a new favorite as of 08:21 on Nov 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Whilst we are on 70s/80s British TV and implied homosexuality: Am I the only one who thought that Kenny Everett was gay? I know his TV show had lots of beautiful women in skimpy clothes, (and young me thanked him for it), but he always seemed to me to be camper than a row of tents. Although given he was a 'weirdo' on UK TV in the 70s/80s, he is actually more likely to be a kiddie diddler than a homosexual.

Everett was gay but - from memory - came out late in his career. But you're right, looking at his show now, he comes across very camp and there's lots of cheesecake like a man who trying desperately not to look gay.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The episode of the Boondocks where Ed and Rummy try to kidnap Oprah but instead end up kidnapping Bill Cosby, then bringing him back when they realized how annoying he was is almost poignant today?

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I wish "Destroy All Movies!" wasn't out of print, I'd buy that. It's a book that catalogues punk rock characters and plots in TV and movies in the 70's and 80's (most of which is incredibly broad and dumb). And it includes THAT episode of Quincy.

Since you don't have plat, send me an email, my username atgmail. Such a book is worthy of discussion.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Count of Monte Cristo has a lesbian couple (in hilariously obvious yet barely plausibly deniable fashion) that are... probably shockingly progressive by late 1800s standards. Especially since they gently caress off from all the crazy poo poo with Parisian aristocrats to become musicians in Germany, which seems like the most sensible course of action considering one almost got engaged to her sociopath half-brother.

That is for better and worse the way the society handled lesbian couples a generation or two ago.

"Just a couple of ladies who never seemed to find a suitor to get married, living together because they are such a good friends and it saves them money."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Der Kyhe posted:

That is for better and worse the way the society handled lesbian couples a generation or two ago.

"Just a couple of ladies who never seemed to find a suitor to get married, living together because they are such a good friends and it saves them money."

Pretty much, though Dumas reeaaally isn't subtle about it. And also have the kinda awkward thing where one one of them is confident and masculine (though still described as attractive, compared repeatedly to Diana the huntress) while the other is shy and feminine. (though I've seen plenty of butch/femme stuff from queer communities without much irony, so I dunno.)

Reminded of the Colbert joke where he describes the two main stereotypes of gay men being totally opposite and concludes that we must find them and make them marry each other. Like, slashfic is waaaay ahead of you, Steve.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

nonathlon posted:

Everett was gay but - from memory - came out late in his career. But you're right, looking at his show now, he comes across very camp and there's lots of cheesecake like a man who trying desperately not to look gay.

Everett came out in the early to mid 80s, as I recall. Nobody gave a drat, because we'd all worked it out years before. And of course, it was all done in the best possible taste.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Jedit posted:

Everett came out in the early to mid 80s, as I recall. Nobody gave a drat, because we'd all worked it out years before. And of course, it was all done in the best possible taste.

Apparently he and Freddie Mercury took Princess Diana (disguised as a man) to a gay bar one night in the mid-'80s :3:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pookah posted:

Apparently he and Freddie Mercury took Princess Diana (disguised as a man) to a gay bar one night in the mid-'80s :3:

Well, I've got a new crazy-rear end Princess Di theory.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Pookah posted:

Is this a scene in Bohemian Rhapsody, and if not, why not?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pookah posted:

Yeah, they knew each other. Medical tracing shows that they both contracted HIV from the same person. :(

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Women in skimpy clothes was a staple of comedy shows in the 70s/80s. Like Benny Hill was probably either gay or asexual, yet half his show was women running round in bikinis. Or him dressed up as a woman.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well, I've got a new crazy-rear end Princess Di theory.

I’m calling the Daily Express right now to pitch it to them.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

SEX BURRITO posted:

Women in skimpy clothes was a staple of comedy shows in the 70s/80s. Like Benny Hill was probably either gay or asexual, yet half his show was women running round in bikinis. Or him dressed up as a woman.

Not to disagree with your point, but Benny Hill used to get regular handjobs from each of the Hills Angels

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Do you people honestly think that 70's audiences didn't obviously think that Mr Humphries was absolutely gay as hell?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Nutsngum posted:

Do you people honestly think that 70's audiences didn't obviously think that Mr Humphries was absolutely gay as hell?

Mate, there were people in the 70s so repressed and fearful of homosexuality that they didn't realize that either of Freddie Mercury, or Liberace were gay.

Now I am not saying these people were the majority, but I am sure there were grandmas saying to their family "Don't you dare besmirch the name of that nice clean cut young man by calling him a sodomite! He just hasn't found the right girl is all."

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

Mate, there were people in the 70s so repressed and fearful of homosexuality that they didn't realize that either of Freddie Mercury, or Liberace were gay.

Now I am not saying these people were the majority, but I am sure there were grandmas saying to their family "Don't you dare besmirch the name of that nice clean cut young man by calling him a sodomite! He just hasn't found the right girl is all."

I'm speculating, but perhaps people generally didn't have the capacity to fully understand homosexuality, or just how many people out there were gay. Imagine a world where almost everyone is in the closet. You're vaguely aware of it, but you've never come across anyone who was gay (you have, you just don't know it), so it sits at the back of your mind as something that happens elsewhere. I'm sure there was fear, but I think a lot of people were just completely oblivious.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jedit posted:

Yeah, they knew each other. Medical tracing shows that they both contracted HIV from the same person. :(

Princess Di had HIV?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
The Celluloid Closet talks a lot about earlier 20th century depictions of gay and lesbian depictions in American media.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Princess Di had HIV?

It would explain why she was assassinated :tinfoil:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

Princess Di had HIV?

A Highly Impacted Vehicle? She certainly did.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Princess Di had HIV?

She's royal, they're full of blood borne illnesses, but I don't think HIV was one of them.

It's weird how many famous people had HIV. Just off the top of my head there are the obvious ones like Arthur Ashe, but then you had the less reported ones such as Issac Asimov and Denholm Elliott and the bad guy in AirBud. It really hollowed out a whole generation.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Can you imagine how much pussy Freddie Mercury would have got back then if he wasn’t gay? I’d guess a lot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In fact Kenny Everett played a key role in making "Bohemian Rhapsody" a hit; it wasn't going to be a single because it was too long, but he played the whole thing on his Radio 1 show and it quickly became so requested that they put it out as a single.

It's probably in the movie but I don't imagine I'll be going to see it, so there you go.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

In fact Kenny Everett played a key role in making "Bohemian Rhapsody" a hit; it wasn't going to be a single because it was too long, but he played the whole thing on his Radio 1 show and it quickly became so requested that they put it out as a single.

It's probably in the movie but I don't imagine I'll be going to see it, so there you go.

I totally would have gone to see Sacha Baron Cohen as Mercury, and the movie that he wanted it to be. The other band members sound like they're up their own arses and made the film about them.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
At some point wasn't the movie going to have Mercury die during the first half, with the second half being about the band figuring out how to carry on without him?

Don't get me wrong, that could make for a good movie, but if you're making what is basically "the Queen movie" you have to accept the fact that nobody gives a crap about the band's post-Mercury career. (Which, far as I can tell, is one album of reworked demos followed by Greatest Hits concerts where someone cosplays as Mercury.)

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sir Lemming posted:

At some point wasn't the movie going to have Mercury die during the first half, with the second half being about the band figuring out how to carry on without him?

Don't get me wrong, that could make for a good movie, but if you're making what is basically "the Queen movie" you have to accept the fact that nobody gives a crap about the band's post-Mercury career. (Which, far as I can tell, is one album of reworked demos followed by Greatest Hits concerts where someone cosplays as Mercury.)

That was what led to Sasha Baron Cohen leaving the project and publicly trashing it, yes. Although from what I hear they've ended up more or less making the movie he thought they should make in the first place, instead of the "And the second half is how queen came back without freddy!" they had originally scripted.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

SiKboy posted:

That was what led to Sasha Baron Cohen leaving the project and publicly trashing it, yes. Although from what I hear they've ended up more or less making the movie he thought they should make in the first place, instead of the "And the second half is how queen came back without freddy!" they had originally scripted.

It was the 'Bouncing Back' version I thought they'd ended up making tbh. Maybe I'll give it a chance.

Sacha would have been so perfect as Freddie Mercury though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EvilGenius posted:

I totally would have gone to see Sacha Baron Cohen as Mercury, and the movie that he wanted it to be. The other band members sound like they're up their own arses and made the film about them.

It's odd in retrospect but there was a time in the 70s and 80s when Mercury, while a respected vocalist and performer, was perceived as "just" a flamboyant showman, all flash and little substance; in interviews, he would often actively discourage analysis of his lyrics and insisted none of his songs actually "meant" anything. Conversely, May was seen as the "genius" of the band who could do all these tricks with feedback and poo poo.

Meanwhile, Roger Taylor spent a few years insistently introducing himself to interviewers as "the drummer and one of the singers" in Queen (in fairness, he was given a lead vocal spot in most shows up until the Hot Space tour at least - whenever they stopped performing "I'm In Love With My Car", because he always sang that one from the drums, and I'm pretty sure he was the one who was singing all those high notes in "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "In the Lap of the Gods").

Freddie gets his due now but I sometimes wonder if it's swung too far the other way. Whatever Brian May and Roger Taylor may have done the past 25 years or so, I don't think it's entirely fair to suggest that Freddie was just carrying the rest of the band for their entire career. :shrug:

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
As someone born in 1983, and whose mum was into 80s Queen, the image of Mercury in my head is the Live Aid incarnation. I think 70s Mercury looks wrong, and their music was nobby.

I can totally see now you've said it how they were very much a band at the beginning, then became Freddie Mercury and Queen somewhere down line, even though Mercury wasn't even writing everything. Compare Bohemian Rhapsody to Innuendo, two structurally similar songs at either end of their career. One is very much a group song, the other is a platform for Mercury.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I had a second half of my post about that, but forgot it. No question, there was a lot to the band besides Freddie Mercury, and they don't get nearly enough credit. But it's also fair to say nobody cares about their post-Mercury career, because there really hasn't been much to it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, that's the thing, they just stopped writing for the most part. Right at the start of the band, Freddie proposed a rule which the rest of them accepted which was that whoever wrote the lyrics had written the song, so they got credit and they got the royalties. This was fine because to the extent that they wrote they were writing themselves and it was pretty much the Freddie and Brian show in the early years as far as songwriting went; there's a story about Roger Taylor locking himself in a cupboard and refusing to come out until Freddie agreed to let him put "I'm In Love With My Car" on the b-side to "Bohemian Rhapsody" because that would've entitled him to a share of the royalties.

But then in the 80s, they were having these terrible rows over money all the time until they started writing more collaboratively (though you can still see whose fingerprints are on which songs) and crediting all the songs to "Queen" - I think this would've been in the A Kind of Magic era - and they all said they all began having a lot more fun at that point because they didn't feel like they were competing with each other. Unfortunately, that's right when Mercury was diagnosed with AIDS and they had to stop touring. Point being, they were all in the studio together having brought their own ideas and were putting them together into songs by the time they got to The Miracle and Innuendo. When you work like that and you lose half your team (remember Deacon retired after the tribute concert) you can still go out and call yourself Queen and play Queen songs but you can't write as Queen any more.

I'd say Brian May's first solo album is worth a listen. His Brixton Academy live record is pretty decent as well. But you know, as a musician, he's gotten a bit lazy in his old age. He's been playing the same basic solo spot in concerts since 1973; it's always been the "Brighton Rock" solo.

(I don't really listen to Queen much these days but there was a few years for me when I listened to loads of Queen, read books about them, watched all the videos, sought out documentaries etc. - can you tell? :v:)

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 22:01 on Nov 5, 2018

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's odd in retrospect but there was a time in the 70s and 80s when Mercury, while a respected vocalist and performer, was perceived as "just" a flamboyant showman, all flash and little substance; in interviews, he would often actively discourage analysis of his lyrics and insisted none of his songs actually "meant" anything. Conversely, May was seen as the "genius" of the band who could do all these tricks with feedback and poo poo.

Meanwhile, Roger Taylor spent a few years insistently introducing himself to interviewers as "the drummer and one of the singers" in Queen (in fairness, he was given a lead vocal spot in most shows up until the Hot Space tour at least - whenever they stopped performing "I'm In Love With My Car", because he always sang that one from the drums, and I'm pretty sure he was the one who was singing all those high notes in "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "In the Lap of the Gods").

Freddie gets his due now but I sometimes wonder if it's swung too far the other way. Whatever Brian May and Roger Taylor may have done the past 25 years or so, I don't think it's entirely fair to suggest that Freddie was just carrying the rest of the band for their entire career. :shrug:

I think if you ask any gear head guitarist about "who had the best sound" Brian May is going to come up in the conversation.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

EvilGenius posted:

We was gay. He was married to woman, but they split and he came out after.

The British tradition of cross dressing and camp is a bit of an odd one. The last show to do it was Little Britain I think. Limmy does the cross dressing thing, but delivers the character as about as gruff and masculine as possible. Little Britain is camp as you like, but I think it works because Lucas and Walliams are naturally camp anyway. You couldn't have just anyone play those characters.

Mrs Brown's Boys was after Little Britain.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
It's also an Irish show. And gives us the glorious side effect of having had a character played by Anjelica Houston and Brendan O'Carroll.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
There is a good series on Youtube going through the history of Nickelodeon. Each episode is about a single show starting at the very beginning. He finally got to You Can't Do That On Television and spends a lot of time talking about some less than appropriate features: body shaming, Playboys, and... lots of boys being put in dresses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl44gvb8b9E

The whole thing is good. The coverage of the problematic stuff really starts about 57 minutes in.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'd say Brian May's first solo album is worth a listen. His Brixton Academy live record is pretty decent as well. But you know, as a musician, he's gotten a bit lazy in his old age. He's been playing the same basic solo spot in concerts since 1973; it's always been the "Brighton Rock" solo.

They're about even. Back to the Light has Resurrection, Back to the Light and his version of Too Much Love Will Kill You (which was his to begin with). Another World has Another World, Wilderness and Why Don't We Try Again.

I don't know if May's musical stylings are better or worse than Roger Taylor thinking he was a renegade teen forever. He wasn't young when Sheer Heart Attack (the song) came out and he was less young for The Cross' Shove It.

At least John Deacon has the sense to just let the paychecks roll in.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Zero One posted:

There is a good series on Youtube going through the history of Nickelodeon. Each episode is about a single show starting at the very beginning. He finally got to You Can't Do That On Television and spends a lot of time talking about some less than appropriate features: body shaming, Playboys, and... lots of boys being put in dresses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl44gvb8b9E

The whole thing is good. The coverage of the problematic stuff really starts about 57 minutes in.

he's also a goon :ssh:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I actually liked a few things on Star Fleet Project. I think I've said before "Let Me Out" might have been a relatively popular Queen song if it had been on one of their albums with Freddie singing it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

oldpainless posted:

Can you imagine how much pussy Freddie Mercury would have got back then if he wasn’t gay? I’d guess a lot.

Wasn’t he bi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He was - he actually left most of his estate (including his mansion, his piano, most of the royalty rights to his songs) to his old girlfriend from the 70s.