Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Millow posted:

How slanderous, he met Vesna while digging through a dumpster.

Yeah pretty sure she's about his age too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:

take the moon posted:

likely he just recreationally went thru his scripted antidepressant dose (heard lyrica is good 4 that) and now has to explain where the meds went to his doc

This. I stocked up on tramadol and valium to keep the gravy train going until my refill time comes around again. :getin:

incredible flesh posted:

can you tell us about the forward hoops guy

Ivan the OCD poof once got very frustrated so he started rolling down the corridor in an unbroken chain of hoops, he'd be like brrrmp, brrrmp, brrrmp, and we'd all be like there goes our Ivan wheeeeeeeeeee!

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

By the way, the tenant in property C, the lady with the dog, is leaving because she is expatriating to Austria. Now where are all those goons who asked me whether I have a vacant apartment - now's your chance. I charge $9 per day, of course, this is the price in a long-term contract. The apartment will be empty during the middle of the november, and we'll work something out.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Oh and Ivan the poof is one of those people who pray before breakfast/lunchtime/dinner and before going to bed (which would take him around twenty minutes). The kid is really religious, he's obviously trying to pray the gay away. :(

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

Wait 20 minutes each time he prays or a combined total?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Hey Fatbeard, just so ya know, “poof” is closer to “fag” than it is to a word like “twink.” It’s more British than American I think, but least in the US throwing around that term isn’t really a nice thing to do

Also I’ve been reading your thread for years and I’m rooting for you to stay safe and healthy!

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I’d totally move to Croatia and live in the empty apartment if I didn’t desperately need major back surgery, which I’m guessing I don’t want to get in Croatia.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I’d totally move to Croatia and live in the empty apartment if I didn’t desperately need major back surgery, which I’m guessing I don’t want to get in Croatia.

These guys rock, especially in terms of orthopedic surgery - https://www.svkatarina.hr/en

Probably a lot cheaper than in the US, and with Western European levels of service. I think they are owned by a German health insurance provider. Plus, you get a nice holiday.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Idk where you live now, but at least you won't be in 100,000+ debt after treatment.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

Hey Fatbeard, just so ya know, “poof” is closer to “fag” than it is to a word like “twink.” It’s more British than American I think, but least in the US throwing around that term isn’t really a nice thing to do

Note taken!

Ivan the twink was actually a very pleasant guy to talk to or simply to have around. He had a rosary, and he'd pray for fifteen to twenty minutes with that rosary before going to bed. That's why it was so saddening to see him restrained by medics and then tied to the table whenever he'd cause a brawl. :(

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Medical tourism is pretty popular there. 90% of the advertisements in the departures hall at Zagreb airport are basically "On your next vacation, get your dental work done cheaply!"

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

take the moon posted:

your country's mental health system sounds medieval

Croatia's mental health system sounds like it has sufficiently funded and comfortable hospitals that try and help people actually get better which might as well be Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism compared to the US lol

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

Crazycryodude posted:

Croatia's mental health system sounds like it has sufficiently funded and comfortable hospitals that try and help people actually get better which might as well be Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism compared to the US lol

theres nothing comfy about thorazine (case in point), and in modern medicine they usually use AA's.

obvs a derail tho so w/e

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

These guys rock, especially in terms of orthopedic surgery - https://www.svkatarina.hr/en

Probably a lot cheaper than in the US, and with Western European levels of service. I think they are owned by a German health insurance provider. Plus, you get a nice holiday.

Unless they take Blue Cross/Blue Shield, I’m probably out of luck.

spankmeister posted:

Idk where you live now, but at least you won't be in 100,000+ debt after treatment.

I guess that’s probably true.

The_Franz posted:

Medical tourism is pretty popular there. 90% of the advertisements in the departures hall at Zagreb airport are basically "On your next vacation, get your dental work done cheaply!"

Hm. Interesting. Maybe I should say, “Which I’m guessing I don’t want to get [at any place I can afford] in Croatia.”

If I thought I could both go to Croatia, and get my spine fixed, I’d be down for it. It seems like a great opportunity to go somewhere I’ve never been, and fail to learn a new language.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You know, I would think there'd be more medical tourism from the US, but they seem happy to plunge themselves into crippling debt.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

lots of people in w. europe trust a clinic in central europe or turkey to point lasers directly into their eyes, which to me is the maximum of trust there is. dental stuff is quite popular too

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Is charging ‘per day’ normal in Croatia? If you’re looking for long term contract why not advertise it as a 6-month/year/multi-year lease?

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Dr.Caligari posted:

Is charging ‘per day’ normal in Croatia? If you’re looking for long term contract why not advertise it as a 6-month/year/multi-year lease?

No it's not, contracts are month-long leases, I just divided the asking price by 30 (days) to illustrate how little I was charging for my apartment. I'll try to jack the asking price up a bit after palming off the lady with the dog... good quality studio apartments in Zagreb are next to impossible to score around this time of the year, and unless you want to live in a literal basement shed, you'll have to pay up the nose for it. CAPITALISM!!!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

spankmeister posted:

You know, I would think there'd be more medical tourism from the US, but they seem happy to plunge themselves into crippling debt.

Medical tourists from the US generally go to Mexico or Costa Rica, sometimes Dominican Republic and Panama.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Achmed Jones posted:

Also I’ve been reading your thread for years and I’m rooting for you to stay safe and healthy!

Oh, thanks for saying that. I have never heard that word before and thought it was some kind of endearing term similar to a poofball.

There's a huge ton of medical tourism here in Korea as well. It might cost you less to fly here and get the operation done without insurance than getting it done in America with insurance. You might even score yourself a free double eyelid surgery!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can basically always tell if someone got plastic surgery in korea or in america (even within america, beverly hills or new york or whatever) or in japan or whatever. that poo poo's like sculpture, it's got national styles and fads and poo poo

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
i love ivan the rolling twink

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

take the moon posted:

theres nothing comfy about thorazine (case in point), and in modern medicine they usually use AA's.

Fluphenazine is the darling of Croatia's mental hospital system. I too used it for a short while before switching over to olanzapine.

Oh, forgot to mention something, back when I was in the "cage" (closed ward) , I was obviously itching to get out, simply to know that I'm a more or less a free man at the open ward. You know how I got the news that I'm getting out? A burly medic was coming my way and he was putting on those disposable latex gloves. He yelled "FATBEARD!!! Your time has come!" and, looking at his gloves, I thought oh god no I'm getting goatsed. The news turned out to be good after all. :)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the goatse was in you all along

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

The news turned out to be good after all. :)

So you did get goatsed

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
What could be better news

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Hm. Interesting. Maybe I should say, “Which I’m guessing I don’t want to get [at any place I can afford] in Croatia.”

If I thought I could both go to Croatia, and get my spine fixed, I’d be down for it. It seems like a great opportunity to go somewhere I’ve never been, and fail to learn a new language.

From a week back, but I came upon this info today. Croatia is the most successful country in the world for organ transplants per capita. Liver first in the world, heart second in the world... :cryinglukamodric:

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
and you know what else?

they've got good pizza

and seafood

and "wildflower" liqour aka moonshine as we call it here in the United States of America :911:

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Malaver posted:

From a week back, but I came upon this info today. Croatia is the most successful country in the world for organ transplants per capita. Liver first in the world, heart second in the world... :cryinglukamodric:

That’s fascinating. Do you have a link to that information? I assume this still falls under “I can’t afford it, anyway.” Here, it will cripple me financially for the remainder of my life, but they’ll at least do it because I have not-horrible insurance.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

https://www.total-croatia-news.com/politics/22591-croatia-among-leaders-in-organ-transplantation

The source may be biased (Croatian health officials) but googling "transplantation statistics croatia" produces a bunch of sciency pages that seem to support it.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

That’s fascinating. Do you have a link to that information? I assume this still falls under “I can’t afford it, anyway.” Here, it will cripple me financially for the remainder of my life, but they’ll at least do it because I have not-horrible insurance.

I can personally vouch for the fact that Croatian doctors are very capable fellows. Just bring a spare spine with yourself and they'll install it in your rear end or whereever the spine goes.

As ridiculous as it sounds, "dental tourism" is a real thing. People from neighboring (western) countries come here to have complex dental surgeries performed on them, at a fraction of the cost they'd have to pay back home for the same procedure.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

I can personally vouch for the fact that Croatian doctors are very capable fellows. Just bring a spare spine with yourself and they'll install it in your rear end or whereever the spine goes.

As ridiculous as it sounds, "dental tourism" is a real thing. People from neighboring (western) countries come here to have complex dental surgeries performed on them, at a fraction of the cost they'd have to pay back home for the same procedure.

been meaning to ask, do Croats pull the same trick, except they go even farther east/south to like Moldavia or FYROM (the cheaplands of lore)?

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Old Binsby posted:

been meaning to ask, do Croats pull the same trick, except they go even farther east/south to like Moldavia or FYROM (the cheaplands of lore)?

Croats sometimes go to Kosovo in order to shop around for spare kidneys. Selling a kidney is often the only way a Kosovar can put together enough money to build himself a decent house and start a family.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Old Binsby posted:

For some things, yes. I passed through a border town in Bosnia full of dental clinic signs and billboards -- presumably for Croatians. Also people travel to Turkey and Serbia for hair transplants.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

should have said The Country Formerly Known as FYROM i guess

TCFKAFYROM

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Just bring a spare spine with yourself and they'll install it in your rear end or whereever the spine goes.
ok now i'm definitely moving to croatia

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Just bring a spare spine with yourself and they'll install it in your rear end or whereever the spine goes.

hand around the collection plate, see if we can get lowtax a few thousand bucks for medical tourism to croatia, i guess

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

bob dobbs is dead posted:

hand around the collection plate, see if we can get lowtax a few thousand bucks for medical tourism to croatia, i guess

YUSSSSSSS, and Fatbeard can be his guide and take care of him post-surgery.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bobbie Wickham posted:

This could be a turning point for the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Oh, my granny could help me take care of our Lowtax, the same way she cared for me while I was in chemo and obviously in a big pinch. She took care that I always had an ample supply of fresh fruits and vegetables. For example, I realized that fresh carrots are one of the few things I can eat without getting sick because of chemo - granny took notice and she'd bring me a few pounds of carrots every other day. It seems a bit strange, but yeah it was granny and her carrots that helped me pull through chemo without losing much weight, to my onco's surprise.

Here she is. The grandmotherliest granny you can imagine. She is 91 years old but looks a lot younger. :)